View Full Version : U-17 Championships

Pages : [1] 2 3

tetsujin1979
24/04/2008, 2:49 PM
From http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3099&Itemid=9

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND U17 CHAMPIONSHIP SQUAD

Ger Hanley (Salthill Devon)
Born: 4th April 1991. U17 caps: 6.

Goalkeeper. Played the entire three matches in the UEFA first phase qualifiers, acquitted himself admirably. Hails from Galway, where he plays for Salthill Devon.

Gavin Carlin (West Bromwich Albion)
Goalkeeper.

Pauric Ormsby (Crumlin United)
Born: 8th January 1991. U17 caps: 7.

Defender. Strong in the tackle, former St. Kevin’s Boys player Pauric is usually deployed in the full-back position but is also adept in a midfield role.

Richie Towell (Celtic)
Born: 17th July 1991. U17 caps: 3.

Defender/midfielder. A dependable player, Richie was a consistent performer in the Irish jersey for the past two years and has excelled at Celtic since joining the Scottish club in July, 2008. Injury forced him out of the UEFA Elite qualifiers.

Johnny Dunleavy (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Born: 3rd July 1991. U17 caps: 9.

Defender. Johnny is the only member of the squad to have started all eleven matches in the 2007/'08 season for Ireland. He is a reliable centre-back who leads by example.

Mark Connolly (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Born: 16th December 1991. U17 caps: 7.

Defender. Grabbed his chance to shine in the preliminary qualifiers and kept his place in the heart of the Irish defence. The Monaghan lad is also a defensive colleague of fellow squad member Johnny Dunleavy at Wolves.

Kallum Keane (Derby County)
Born: 23rd November 1991. U17 caps: 5.

Defender. Nottingham-born Kallum declared for Ireland through his Belmullet grandparents. He is a no-nonsense centre-half and a towering presence at the back.

Gavin Gunning (Blackburn Rovers)
Born: 26th January 1991. U17 caps: 4.

Defender. Gavin is a stylish defender with tremendous aerial ability, as evidenced by his headed goal against Ukraine in the UEFA first phase game. Scored also against Greece and Portugal. Signed his first professional contract at Blackburn Rovers in 2008.

Shaun Timmins (Birmingham City)
Born: 13th March 1991. U17 caps: 3.

Defender. Birmingham City player Shaun, whose parents are from Dublin, made his Irish debut against Finland last month and gave a fine performance. He can fill in at left-full as well as in central-defence.

Aaron Doran (Blackburn Rovers)
Born: 13th May 1991. U17 caps: 4.

Winger/striker. Aaron exerted a major influence on Ireland’s progression from the first phase group, scoring against Denmark and creating endless scoring opportunities. He is a former Crumlin United player now at Ewood Park alongside another squad member, Gavin Gunning.

Conor Clifford (Chelsea) - Captain
Born: 1st October 1991. U17 caps: 8.

Midfielder. Conor is a gifted midfielder with an array of passing abilities within his armoury. He is the reigning FAI/eircom Under-16 player of the year following his displays last season while captaining his country.

Conor Hourihane (Sunderland)
Born: Born: 2nd February 1991. U17 caps: 9.

Midfielder. Conor is another diminutive midfield player in the squad who likes to get forward and link the play with the attackers. Sunderland manager Roy Keane has already given the Cork lad a taste of first-team football in a friendly.

John Sullivan (Crumlin United)
Born: 6th January 1991. U17 caps: 3.

Striker. Dubliner John gradually moved into contention for a squad place this season following some strong showings for his club, Crumlin United, and also in trials. He grabbed his first International goal in the 6-1 drubbing of Finland last month. He scored against Portugal in the UEFA Championship.

Gearoid Morrissey (Ringmahon Rangers)
Born: 17th November 1991. U17 caps: 3.

Midfielder. Cork native Gearoid missed the first phase qualifiers through injury but is back in the fold for these matches. A powerful and intelligent player, he has agreed to join Blackburn Rovers.

Greg Cunningham (Manchester City)
Born: 31st January 1991. U17 caps: 8.

Winger/striker. Galway-native Greg is a talented winger with blistering pace and an eye for goal, as proved against Germany in the UEFA elite phase qualifier. He transferred from Mervue United to Manchester City in July of 2007.

Paul Murphy (Ipswich Town)
Born: 19th March 1991. U17 caps: 8.

Striker. Wexford lad Paul is a key player in the Irish team with his vision, pace and goal-scoring prowess. Began his career at Wexford Albion and also played for Dublin club Crumlin United.

Darragh Satelle (Crumlin United)
Born: 22nd February 1991. U17 caps: 6.

Striker. Darragh scored twice in three matches at the pre-season Lithuania tournament but a broken bone in his foot ruled him out of the UEFA first phase qualifiers. Now back fully fit, he started in both friendly matches against Finland and was on the score-sheet in the second fixture.

Robert Brady (Manchester United)
Born: 14th January 1992. U17 caps: 3.

Midfielder/striker. Robert is the only player in the Irish squad eligible to play at Under-17 level again next season. His pace and trickery on the left wing, or in attack, gives another dimension to the Irish side.

UEFA Under-17 Championships Fixtures
Group A
Turkey (Hosts)
Netherlands
Scotland
Serbia

Group B
France
Republic of Ireland
Spain (Holders)
Switzerland

Fixtures:
4th May 2008
Republic of Ireland v France

7th May 2008
Republic of Ireland v Switzerland

10th May 2008
Republic of Ireland v Spain.

greendeiseboy
24/04/2008, 3:03 PM
Where's Rooney and Amos:D

geysir
24/04/2008, 3:55 PM
Good write up Tets (oh I see the profiles added by eirebhoy)
Why is only a squad of 18 allowed?
3 games in 6 days sounds hard enough.

tetsujin1979
24/04/2008, 4:03 PM
The Ireland v France game at 2pm BST on Sunday May 4th and the Ireland v Spain game at 6pm BST Saturday May 10th will both be shown live on eurosport. The Swiss game on May 7th is not live.

Both semi finals on May 13th and the final on May 16th are also live should we make them.
If anyone is looking for the games, I should be able to record both games, not 100% about the game on the 4th but it should be ok

eirebhoy
24/04/2008, 4:10 PM
Good write up Tets (oh I see the profiles added by eirebhoy)
Yeh I thought for this age group it'd be better to add their profiles from FAI.ie. I don't get Johnny Dunleavy's profile though. It says he started all 11 games for Ireland in 07/08 but is listed as having 9 caps.

TheBoss
24/04/2008, 7:16 PM
It is Live on Eurosport in any is interested.

irishfan86
24/04/2008, 8:00 PM
Glad to see Rooney not included. After he "declared" he mentioned participating in the tournament, which I thought would be a joke for a player who hadn't played any games in qualifying.

forza
24/04/2008, 9:00 PM
Towells a Pats fan Inchicore lad as well.

Fair play to the young lad

KildareFan
25/04/2008, 7:50 AM
Good profiles of all players on Soccerscene
Here (http://www.soccerscene.ie/p3119.html)

drinkfeckarse
25/04/2008, 7:55 AM
Yeh I thought for this age group it'd be better to add their profiles from FAI.ie. I don't get Johnny Dunleavy's profile though. It says he started all 11 games for Ireland in 07/08 but is listed as having 9 caps.

Also says Ritchie Towell has excelled for Celtic since joining them in 3 months time :D This is the FAI afterall :D

kev mcq
26/04/2008, 3:10 PM
Towells a Pats fan Inchicore lad as well.

Fair play to the young lad

And? Dunleavy is a Harps fan.....

Leejo
26/04/2008, 3:43 PM
Karl Sheppard is a mate of mine, haven't talked to him in a few months though since he signed for Everton last year, any idea why he isn't getting a look in? Very good player.

Played against Ritchie Towell three times last year when our school played his school Drimnagh and tbh he was nothing special, very average and marked out of it by a player who doesn't play football for a club. Fair play to him for getting on well at Celtic though, heard he's playing in defence even though he was playing behind the front 2 last year?

boovidge
26/04/2008, 5:02 PM
you don't need to be good at football to do well at celtic ;)

GavinZac
26/04/2008, 5:12 PM
How has Dunleavy started all 11 games if he only has 9 caps :confused:

The FAI need to start seriously investing in training facilities so that the majority of our under-17s are not relying on Britain.

shakermaker1982
26/04/2008, 5:52 PM
looking forward to the tournament now - not long to go. A lot of those names are new to me so good on eurosport for showing the games.

jmurphyc
26/04/2008, 5:56 PM
My NTL digital hasn't been working since Wednesday night. I hope it's back up for these games as I'm really looking forward to the tournament.

cheifo
26/04/2008, 8:21 PM
I heard Dunleavy had a groin injury that would keep him out which thankfully looks to be untrue.I'm going to have to hassle my sources for not giving me the
word on the street.:)

kev mcq
28/04/2008, 10:24 AM
I heard Dunleavy had a groin injury that would keep him out which thankfully looks to be untrue.I'm going to have to hassle my sources for not giving me the
word on the street.:)

He has an injury, but it's a hip injury, should be back in time though

Bluebeard
29/04/2008, 10:02 AM
It is Live on Eurosport in any is interested.

Live streaming on Eurosport.com on Sunday at 14h

cheifo
29/04/2008, 11:11 AM
Anyone care to predict starting line up v France?

theworm2345
04/05/2008, 5:52 AM
Live streaming on Eurosport.com on Sunday at 14h

http://myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=11253&part=sports
Should be on there, I won't watch but I encourage you to record the goals if you do FRAPS or WMRecorder

DmanDmythDledge
04/05/2008, 10:37 AM
Starting line up named:

Republic of Ireland Under 17 team:

Ger Hanley (Salthill Devon)
Padraic Ormsby (Crumlin United)
Richie Towell (Celtic)
Mark Connolly (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Gavin Gunning (Blackburn Rovers)
Conor Clifford (Chelsea)
Gearoid Morrisey (Ringmahon Rangers)
Aaron Doran (Blackburn Rovers)
Paul Murphy (Ipswich Town)
Robbie Brady (Manchester United)
Greg Cunningham (Manchester City)

Subs:
Gavin Carlin (West Brom)
Danny Joyce (Belvedere)
Shaun Timmons (Birmingham City)
John Sullivan (Crumlin United)
Darragh Satelle (Hull City)

Really looking forward to this game. Watch out for Saivet for France- supposed to be the next Henry.

NeilMcD
04/05/2008, 1:03 PM
Lads look like its not been shown live on Eurosport rather its going to be shown later. Can anyone get it live.

DmanDmythDledge
04/05/2008, 1:04 PM
Lads look like its not been shown live on Eurosport rather its going to be shown later. Can anyone get it live.
It's on Eurosport 2. There's highlights on Eurosport at 7.

Just found out I don't have Eurosport 2- ******.

Torn-Ado
04/05/2008, 1:06 PM
Its on UEFA.com for a fee of 2 euros.

tetsujin1979
04/05/2008, 1:16 PM
Streaming on eurosport.com here: http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=1929371&ch=2417736&src=ukeurosport
France started stronger, Ireland coming into it a bit more and winning a few corners

NeilMcD
04/05/2008, 1:35 PM
Legend. got it now.

Flawless
04/05/2008, 1:42 PM
1-0 up!!, Paul Murphy!

Come on Ireland!

DmanDmythDledge
1-0. Get in!!!!

tetsujin1979
Ireland 1 up, Murphy with a tap in after a cross from Cunningham
Commentator is creaming himself every time Brady gets the ball
France could be down to 10 men, midfielder led with the elbow to win a ball in the air, just got a yellow

NeilMcD
04/05/2008, 1:45 PM
One nil Ireland.

Torn-Ado
04/05/2008, 1:46 PM
totally against the run of play but the goal with give them a huge boost. Keep it up guys.

cavan_fan
04/05/2008, 2:27 PM
1-1, excellent break and goal from france

DmanDmythDledge
04/05/2008, 2:30 PM
Midfield starting to look very ragged. Lets hope the defence can hold out.

DmanDmythDledge
04/05/2008, 2:32 PM
Jesus, thought he had given a peno there. Blatant dive, good reffing.

NeilMcD
04/05/2008, 2:33 PM
This is where our lack of technique and composure comes into it. Giving the ball away time and time again. Esp in the heat.

DmanDmythDledge
04/05/2008, 2:39 PM
This is where our lack of technique and composure comes into it. Giving the ball away time and time again. Esp in the heat.
Even with five in midfield we can't cope with France's movement off the ball. Spaces all over the midfield.

cavan_fan
04/05/2008, 2:44 PM
bugger

geysir
04/05/2008, 2:44 PM
Cruel, 3 seconds to go
defender should have hoofed it anywhere.

DmanDmythDledge
04/05/2008, 2:45 PM
******. Right at the death. Sickning. Great goal but was Clifford thinking with the free kick?

geysir
04/05/2008, 2:48 PM
Problem was that they were not thinking at the end, all of them looked absolutely wiped out.

boovidge
04/05/2008, 2:48 PM
sorry to hear about the cruel defeat :( France were always going to be tough opponents though. Did anyone record the game or knows where highlights will be?

tetsujin1979
04/05/2008, 2:51 PM
Managed to record the stream, but it's very jerky
it's a massive file, so I'll upload it on tuesday when I get into work

TheBoss
04/05/2008, 4:15 PM
First half, Ireland were really good just the last 5 mins in the half they were under a bit of pressure despite the goal.

Second Half, They were always up against it here, they defended really well upto the goal, it was a silly goal to give away but they were tired at that stage. Just lack of concentration in the last minute cost them.

I think it was a great learning curve for the players, I think they will much better for this game and should do well v Switzerland in the next game.

Stuttgart88
04/05/2008, 6:08 PM
Very cruel on the lads but only because the goal was so late. I honestly thought they were dreadful in the second half, no composure, no technique, couldn't string 2 passes together and it was just one speculative hoof after the other. The English commentators were very charitable about our set pieces - I thought they were all crap, almost all overhit.

A comment from Billsthoughts after the last senior international, referring to his Basque friend's impression of the Irish team, saying that it wasn't even football he was watching sprung to mind. It wasn't cynical enough to be deemed "anti football" but it was very inept and lacking in structure. Only some solid defending and good goalkeeping kept us in it. I'd have been much happier if we'd lost by showing some good phases of play.

shaneker
04/05/2008, 7:05 PM
Only saw the highlights on Eurosport 2, and I have to say I was very disappointed. To be honest we were hugely flattered by the score, our lads worked as hard as you could want but the touch and the passing was inept in the second half, the French were light years ahead of us in that regard.

To me what was most disappointing was that our tactics appeared to be to protect the one goal lead by packing the midfield and hoofing long balls up for the frontman to chase. I was hoping at this level there would be more emphasis on skill and effective team movement - surely we need to be teaching our young players to be better than Route 1?

cheifo
04/05/2008, 9:09 PM
First half I felt we were excellant and kept the ball down and looked the better side according to Eurosport commentators.Last half hour we just stopped passing the ball and looked a bit short of quality.As has been mentioned we constantly over hit the ball at set pieces which was a pity because France looked shakey at the back.The subs France brought on made a huge difference and that dreadlocked guy ran amok.Would'nt be too negative because this Irish side is heralded for its great attitude rather than having star players like some of our side which never qualified.Hopefully the players the will aclimatise better with a game under their belts-they looked really tired last 15 minutes.Need two wins though if they are to have a chance.

geysir
04/05/2008, 10:44 PM
It's difficult to be hard on them when they ran themselves into the ground against a team which clicked into higher gears in the second half.
McCaffrey barely made it through the 80 minutes and he was sitting down all the time,
(he looks a bit like Brendan Behan after a bender).

I can see they played simple for much of the second half but despite that I thought they had the point and would have deserved it. It's heartbreaking to see that stupid goal handed to the French on a plate with 4 seconds left, undoing all the previous 80 minutes.
We have a very good goalkeeper there, brave and with a tough nut.

Maroon 7
05/05/2008, 2:19 AM
It's difficult to be hard on them when they ran themselves into the ground against a team which clicked into higher gears in the second half.
McCaffrey barely made it through the 80 minutes and he was sitting down all the time,
(he looks a bit like Brendan Behan after a bender).
We have a very good goalkeeper there, brave and with a tough nut.

He's still with Salthill Devon isn't he? Hasn't been picked up across the water yet which is surprising. Every time I've seen him he's looked excellent.

gspain
05/05/2008, 12:59 PM
Hi from Antalya

Thought we were unlucky yesterday to cocnede so late Team were out on their feet

I thought we were the better team in the first half but totally outplayed after the break

We are easily the best supported team apart from the hosts with approx 100 fans here albeit mainly family and freinds of the players

It will be tough to qualify now as we will need to beat switzerland and at least draw with spain/