PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Kenna Question

jebus
22/04/2008, 8:27 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I'm not allowed into the Galway forum so can't post it there. Anyway my Blackburn Rovers supporting mate was over at mine last night watching MNS, and when they referred to Kenna as a Premiership winning player he said that Kenna didn't play the required number of games that season to get a medal. Now I remember he was Blackburn's second choice right back that season but I thought he had a medal. My mate maintains that he didn't and I can't find anything on this on Wiki or Google, can anyone settle this debate?

theworm2345
22/04/2008, 8:35 PM
5 appearances earns you a medal, I'll try to find how many he had

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=4118
Doesn't appear as though he made an appearance that entire season for any team

Yet here he is in the lineup
http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/94-95/reports/blackburn_home.html

Says here he played 9 times
http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football-heroes/displayhero_club.asp?HeroID=19312

stiofain
22/04/2008, 8:41 PM
Is it not 10 appearences for a medal, worm?

theworm2345
22/04/2008, 8:43 PM
Is it not 10 appearences for a medal, worm?
You might be right, I remember it being 5 for some reason

I guess it is 10
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/3662645.stm

For some reason it was Keown and Arsenal that season that made me thought 5 before.

I guess that would mean No, Kenna did not get a medal

carloz
22/04/2008, 8:45 PM
Im 99 percent sure i heard before that he didnt get one. You have to lay 1/4 of the games in a season. Now that is 9. I think back when Blackburn won the league it was 10 or 11.

jebus
22/04/2008, 8:58 PM
It was 10 back around 1995 to get a medal anyway, I remember David Batty didn't accept one because he only played the bare 10 games for them. To be honest the more my friend talked about it the more I started to think tht he didn't. My younger brother (also a Blackburn fan) thought he hadn't either, wasn't sure though

depor
22/04/2008, 9:15 PM
who cares anyway? at least he was a member of a premiership winning squad.

paul_oshea
22/04/2008, 9:17 PM
i got asked a ( quiz ) question about irish players winning premiership medals and i said jeff kenna and he was one of the answers.

jebus
22/04/2008, 9:21 PM
i got asked a ( quiz ) question about irish players winning premiership medals and i said jeff kenna and he was one of the answers.

Well that's that solved anyway, pub quizzes are never wrong

:D

Dodge
22/04/2008, 9:54 PM
Kenna signed just before the end of the season and played all 9 games after that. he needed 10 to get a medal.

I think Blackburn got him anyway

SkStu
22/04/2008, 10:01 PM
Kenna signed just before the end of the season and played all 9 games after that. he needed 10 to get a medal.

I think Blackburn got him anyway

correct, at least thats how i remember it too.

charliesboots
23/04/2008, 8:07 AM
Yeah that's bang on. Clubs were awarded medals to present to players who played in 10 games or more.

After that you could buy them to give them to who you want. Thats what Blackburn did for Kenna

jebus
23/04/2008, 8:16 AM
Yeah that's bang on. Clubs were awarded medals to present to players who played in 10 games or more.

After that you could buy them to give them to who you want. Thats what Blackburn did for Kenna

So he has a medal but he didn't win one is the answer then, cheers lads

paul_oshea
23/04/2008, 9:02 AM
Well that's that solved anyway, pub quizzes are never wrong

Who said it was a pub quiz?!

MyTown
23/04/2008, 9:27 AM
So he has a medal but he didn't win one is the answer then, cheers lads

Gracious as ever Jebus :)

I'd welcome you back to our board or even our Board :p in the morning. Stifling free speech is the preserve of the McCarthyDundons & Co only IMO.

jebus
23/04/2008, 4:12 PM

I'd welcome you back to our board or even our Board :p in the morning. Stifling free speech is the preserve of the McCarthyDundons & Co only IMO.

Why thank you, for my part I'd happily come back to your board and point out the many, many reasons Galway United are a disgrace to the sport of football in a heartbeat :)

Flawless
23/04/2008, 5:00 PM
According to where are they now on the Birmingham website, he only played the last 9 games of the title winning season for Blackburn: http://www.blues.premiumtv.co.uk/page/WhereAreTheyNowDetail/0,,10412~1054686,00.html

Maroon 7
23/04/2008, 8:00 PM

No need to bring his family into it.:D

Dodge
23/04/2008, 9:41 PM
According to where are they now on the Birmingham website, he only played the last 9 games of the title winning season for Blackburn: http://www.blues.premiumtv.co.uk/page/WhereAreTheyNowDetail/0,,10412~1054686,00.html

So what you meant to say was "as the lads said..."

Flawless
23/04/2008, 10:45 PM
Sorry Dodge, didnt see that post!!

sadloserkid
24/04/2008, 12:24 PM
who cares anyway? at least he was a member of a premiership winning squad.

Are you serious? That's like saying that Ben Watson should take great pride in the achievement of Man Yoo should they win the premiership this season. I know that Kenna had played more games than Watson but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

B1977
24/04/2008, 6:50 PM
Are you serious? That's like saying that Ben Watson should take great pride in the achievement of Man Yoo should they win the premiership this season. I know that Kenna had played more games than Watson but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Ben Watson played no matches for Man Utd this season,so he definitely deserves no medal

Blocker
25/04/2008, 9:11 AM
Jeff Kenna does have a Premier League medal.
Normal FA rules state that a player has to make 10 appearances for a team to earn a league medal and Kenna only made 9, but Blackburn made a case to the FA that they had only 9 games left when Kenna joined them and he played in all 9, so the FA made an exception and gave him a medal on that basis.
And that's from the horse's mouth

GuisaSaigon
25/04/2008, 9:17 AM
Welcome to the forum Jeff!

Blocker
25/04/2008, 9:27 AM
This isn't Jeff Kenna, I'm sorry to say. Haven't GUFC had enough trouble with playing/coaching staff members going on the web this week already?

MyTown
25/04/2008, 9:29 AM
This isn't Jeff Kenna, I'm sorry to say. Haven't GUFC had enough trouble with playing/coaching staff members going on the web this week already?

:D Nice one Blocker - in a Foot.ie context that constitutes (almost) scoring on your debut

jebus
25/04/2008, 9:29 AM
Jeff Kenna does have a Premier League medal.
Normal FA rules state that a player has to make 10 appearances for a team to earn a league medal and Kenna only made 9, but Blackburn made a case to the FA that they had only 9 games left when Kenna joined them and he played in all 9, so the FA made an exception and gave him a medal on that basis.
And that's from the horse's mouth

That's what we've been saying, he has one but he didn't earn it. It's a step up from buying one on eBay :D

Drumcondra 69er
25/04/2008, 12:00 PM

Given that Kenna scored a vital winner v Palace in one of the last games of the season I'd say that gives him far more entitlement!

The special dispensation rule's a bit of a cop out imo but if you've scored the winner in a game I guess it has some merit.

Jemmy
25/04/2008, 2:00 PM
Jeff played every minute of the last 9 games scoring 2 goals along the way.
He has a medal and deservedly so - typical Irish begrudgery bulls***.

Btw someone said he was second choice right back - wrong again he was 1st choice full back for 3/4 years before Souness arrived.

He has 27 caps, played in the premiership for over 10 years, champions league, captained Birmingham to promotion, captained Derby etc etc.

And your arguing over whether he won or got a medal ?

Give credit where it is due.

sadloserkid
25/04/2008, 2:13 PM

Ben Watson played no matches for Man Utd this season,so he definitely deserves no medal

He played one did he not when Kuzciak was suspended and Van Der Saar injured?

gufct
25/04/2008, 2:21 PM
Jebus you really are a sad human being.

Jerry The Saint
25/04/2008, 2:23 PM
He has a medal and deservedly so - typical Irish begrudgery bulls***.

Btw someone said he was second choice right back - wrong again he was 1st choice full back for 3/4 years before Souness arrived.

He has 27 caps, played in the premiership for over 10 years, champions league, captained Birmingham to promotion, captained Derby etc etc.

And your arguing over whether he won or got a medal ?

Give credit where it is due.

Welcome to the forum Jeff's Dad!

Drumcondra 69er
25/04/2008, 2:26 PM

Pedant's corner.....

I actually thought he'd scored two as well but having checked the only one recorded is the winner v palace.

It's a fiar point, does someone who made 10 sub appearances for a total of say 180 minutes deserve a medal more then someone who played 90 minutes in 9 games?

Incidentally, David Batty was offered a medal having played 5 games that season due to injury and declined it saying he didn't feel he deserved it.

Jemmy
25/04/2008, 2:32 PM
Thats easy to do when you already have one !!!

I am not Jeffs dad but a new visitor to these forums and I am baffled by the begrudgery shown to people who have already achieved more by even playing one Eircom league match than most of the posters on the forum.

So i have no bias one way or another with regards to Kenna other thans he is Irish and represented us well when plying his trade in england and also when playing fro his country.

So do I admire him ? absolutely
Do I have to be his Dad to do this ?

kingdom hoop
25/04/2008, 2:53 PM
Hey, are you begrudging our right to be begrudgers? :mad:

Jemmy
25/04/2008, 3:09 PM
Youre from Kerry Im guessing so I forgive you

kingdom hoop
25/04/2008, 3:17 PM
That's the spirit.

Welcome aboard! :)

MyTown
25/04/2008, 3:17 PM
He played one did he not when Kuzciak was suspended and Van Der Saar injured?

He did not.

Ben Foster did.

I'm guessing today's lyric of choice is probably inaccurate as well.

Jemmy
25/04/2008, 3:20 PM
Thank you - looking forward to good debate & having a laugh
maybe I am on the wrong forum;)

Billsthoughts
25/04/2008, 3:34 PM
oh ya got that right J.K.D......Any diverse opinion is brutally crushed round hereā€¦.

jebus
25/04/2008, 3:51 PM
Jebus you really are a sad human being.

*in my best singing voice* Galway fans are obsessed with me, even when I ask a non-Galway related question they are still obsessed with meeeeee!

Thank you