PDA

View Full Version : Scoring System

Schumi
09/04/2003, 1:32 PM
You get 2 points for correct result (i.e. home win, draw, away win); 1 point for correct margin (i.e. home win by 2 goals, away win by 1, etc.); 1 point for correct score (i.e. Bohs scoring 3 goals, etc.). That gives 5 points for getting a game score right.

Seagull
29/07/2003, 2:07 PM
2+1+1=5?

Schumi
29/07/2003, 2:17 PM
If you get the score exactly right, you get each team's score correct so you get a point for each (=2) as well as the points for correct result (2) and margin (1). So 2+2+1=5. :)

Seagull
29/07/2003, 7:15 PM
Goes to show I should've paid more attention in maths class!

Risteard
22/03/2005, 9:59 PM
So if you correctly predict a draw, ya get three points regardless of the goal count?

adamcarr
22/03/2005, 10:45 PM
So if you correctly predict a draw, ya get three points regardless of the goal count?
Yes! :)

renovater
26/01/2006, 10:13 PM
Yes! :)
WHO'S PLAYING?:ball:

exiled_gufc_fan
10/04/2007, 6:32 AM
You get 2 points for correct result (i.e. home win, draw, away win); 1 point for correct margin (i.e. home win by 2 goals, away win by 1, etc.); 1 point for correct score (i.e. Bohs scoring 3 goals, etc.). That gives 5 points for getting a game score right.

Yes indeed - this original scoring system has been in use for many years - before Foot.ie even when Eugene ?Montague?, a US based eL fan started it up by email. Anyone know if he participates these days?

Ah memories.

stann
10/04/2007, 12:56 PM
Mother of God, Eugene Montague!!!!
Back in the days when we used to have to dial 10 and get an operator to connect us to t'interweb. :D
Yeah wonder what he's at now.

stann
10/04/2007, 1:01 PM
Mother of God, Eugene Montague!!!!
Back in the days when we used to have to dial 10 and get an operator to connect us to t'interweb. :D
Also originator of the NBS system to allow you to miss a week or two, or start late.
Actually, didn't I win that one year? Went close anyway.
Yeah, good lad, wonder what he's at now.

TheBoss
23/01/2017, 8:01 PM
Almost a 10 year bump!

Seeing as we are only a month away from the new season, I thought I would gather some opinions of you lot about a possible change to the points system. I remember there was discussion about it during last season. So would some of welcome a different system or maybe some tweaks here and there?, Fire away, don't be afraid to share your thoughts!

nigel-harps1954
23/01/2017, 9:07 PM
If it ain't broke..

pineapple stu
24/01/2017, 7:32 PM
I'd agree with that.

Mr A
25/01/2017, 11:34 AM
I say we make it needlessly arbitrary and complex.

Massive bonus points for predicting mental scores correctly. So nail a 5-5 and you're half way to winning the thing. Predict numbers of yellow and red cards. Oh, and once a season you get to predict a game will either be abandoned or one team will have to wear the others kit and if you are right get a massive bonus. And you get to mark games as likely to cause one of the managers to be sacked.

KR's Post
26/01/2017, 2:17 PM
Id leave it. If anything was to change id give bonus points for The Top Scorer of the Week. Adds a bit of spice!

El-Pietro
30/01/2017, 3:06 PM
I think there should be a Presidents Cup prediction between the Winners of the League and Cup from last season.

passinginterest
30/01/2017, 4:29 PM
I still think allowing two worst scores not to count would keep people more interested if they miss a week or two. Bonus points for the highest score in the round is not a bad idea too.

Mr A
30/01/2017, 5:13 PM
That's a good idea. Most years I find that at some stage something unexpected happens and I miss a week. Once that happens you're already fecked.

nigel-harps1954
30/01/2017, 5:43 PM
I second these opinions. A highest score bonus is a good idea.

TheBoss
15/02/2017, 6:05 PM
Would like some more feedback about a high score bonus since were close to new season.

bennocelt
16/02/2017, 9:18 PM
Think its best to leave it the way it is.................:D. As for missing a weekend, its not like you dont give us enough notice via private messages

sbgawa
16/02/2017, 9:40 PM
If ain't broke etc

TheBoss
19/02/2017, 2:46 PM
System will remain the same unless I see many many requests otherwise.

Mr A
20/02/2017, 12:01 PM
Think its best to leave it the way it is.................:D. As for missing a weekend, its not like you dont give us enough notice via private messages

True, TheBoss does a great job there. But if you're dealing with some crisis then you might miss a week or two and then the whole season is a bust. Not a bit deal but dropping the worst week or two for people might keep more players engaged to the end.

TheBoss
20/02/2017, 12:54 PM
True, TheBoss does a great job there. But if you're dealing with some crisis then you might miss a week or two and then the whole season is a bust. Not a bit deal but dropping the worst week or two for people might keep more players engaged to the end.

The problem with that is that some weeks have 10 games, other weeks 6 games or 8 games etc., it can get a little complicated doing that.

nigel-harps1954
20/02/2017, 5:28 PM
Still in favour of two bonus points for the weekly highest points scorer. Bit of a reward and can make all the difference as the weeks go on, especially if someone happens to miss a week. Maybe a compromise in place of dropping a week for everyone.

TheBoss
23/02/2017, 4:13 PM
Right, I have done some thinking about us. This is what I suggest:

Top 5 players in each series of matches (not including catchup games), will receive bonus points:

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

I think those who do well deserve some merit, when I was updating the table last season, I seen some players consistently coming in those regions and where somehow not doing as well as one would think, so I think top 5 is fair. In the event of players sharing positions, they will be deemed the same so if 2 or more players are equal first for example, both receive 10 points. Plus it gives players who stuck in mid table a chance to catch the leaders, as it is really difficult for users in those positions to gain on them as the points system is a bit rigid and can almost take a whole season to gain a small amount of points on users above them.

As I said before dropping a week would be a pain to administer as some weeks have less games than others and would be unfair to certain users. ( I'm taking it too seriously aren't I! ), So I think this bonus structure can help those who miss the odd week to catch back up.

nigel-harps1954
23/02/2017, 4:25 PM
Great system.

BonnieShels
23/02/2017, 4:57 PM
I approve of these bonuses. It defo makes up for missed weeks.

CraftyToePoke
24/02/2017, 12:04 AM
Lads, this is my first rattle at this, only found the thread by accident. What does the victorious soul get ? Is it virgins ? God let it be virgins ...

BonnieShels
24/02/2017, 2:46 PM
Lads, this is my first rattle at this, only found the thread by accident. What does the victorious soul get ? Is it virgins ? God let it be virgins ...

Virgins or a jersey or justified smugness.

WoodquayBoy
26/02/2017, 1:10 AM
Virgins are over-rated

paul_oshea
15/03/2019, 11:05 AM
Right, I have done some thinking about us. This is what I suggest:

Top 5 players in each series of matches (not including catchup games), will receive bonus points:

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

I think those who do well deserve some merit, when I was updating the table last season, I seen some players consistently coming in those regions and where somehow not doing as well as one would think, so I think top 5 is fair. In the event of players sharing positions, they will be deemed the same so if 2 or more players are equal first for example, both receive 10 points. Plus it gives players who stuck in mid table a chance to catch the leaders, as it is really difficult for users in those positions to gain on them as the points system is a bit rigid and can almost take a whole season to gain a small amount of points on users above them.

As I said before dropping a week would be a pain to administer as some weeks have less games than others and would be unfair to certain users. ( I'm taking it too seriously aren't I! ), So I think this bonus structure can help those who miss the odd week to catch back up.

If you track each prediction historically and the table is not just updated but inserted. In an excel spreadsheet that is probably difficult to impossible as eventually it wont load the sheets.

I'm looking at doing something online which would have historical grouped by prediction series.

TheBoss
15/03/2019, 10:14 PM
If you track each prediction historically and the table is not just updated but inserted. In an excel spreadsheet that is probably difficult to impossible as eventually it wont load the sheets.

I'm looking at doing something online which would have historical grouped by prediction series.

I do use excel to help me do this. I have created formulas that automatically put in the users score for each match, works pretty neatly. Only issue is sorting the weekly order and overall table but that's only a minor thing.

paul_oshea
21/03/2019, 11:54 AM

I spoke to TheBOss on this for clarification. Without going all geysir, all these things exist mutually exclusively from what he said. SO even in the case of a wrong result and and margin, you can still get 1 point for an individual score in the game.