PDA

View Full Version : Best Ground for Catering

Pages : [1] 2 3

gufcfan
21/04/2008, 10:14 PM
I don't see any thread on this so I thought I'd get one started.

Maybe a poll is in order?

My favorite is Leo Burdock, but there are a number of grounds i havent been to and there are others that I have not eaten in.

And yes I am bored.

deecay
21/04/2008, 10:18 PM
I remember one a while back....

Finn Park does great soup and cowboy suppers:D

Dalymount has the best chips

Havent tasted a Mon Dog yet:mad:

Raheny Red
21/04/2008, 10:20 PM
Absolutely none to be honest.

gufcfan
21/04/2008, 10:26 PM
I remember one a while back....

Finn Park does great soup and cowboy suppers:D

I haven't been in Ballybofey in about 5 years and I don't think they had food there that night for some reason.

Dalymount has the best chips

The chips were nice last year alrite.

Havent tasted a Mon Dog yet:mad:

And I dont think you or I ever will:D

nijboyle
21/04/2008, 10:33 PM
Finn Park grub rocks, we have two chip vans this year...very tasty and cheap, as a Pats fan pointed out to me after celebrating in my face when they whipped us

rambler14
21/04/2008, 10:37 PM
So far this season the best grub i've had has been in Wexford for the League Cup. I had a nice munch after the Cork City game in Ramblers but that was simply because it was the first thing i'd eaten all day and I was ready to eat the wall.

Last season I found Burdocks chipper up in Tolka to be nice.

The best cup of soup can be found in the Ramblers club shop.

A face
21/04/2008, 10:38 PM
Absolutely none to be honest.

I have never eats anything decent in any eircom league ground, pathetic offerings at over priced rates. Turners Cross is very poor in my opinion. The standard is brutal. Dino's ... two minutes walk about is great, and Lennox probably the best in the city. Neither are in the ground.

Edit: The best idea on this ever was in Waterford, where the Ghost Busters would walk around the stand with either tea or coffee so it was actually hot when you were drinking it. Cant remember the price but it was reasonable at the time.

gufcfan
21/04/2008, 10:39 PM
Finn Park grub rocks, we have two chip vans this year...very tasty and cheap, as a Pats fan pointed out to me after celebrating in my face when they whipped us

I look forward to sampling it later on in the season so, if I make it up there.

L37Ultra
21/04/2008, 10:42 PM
The best I have had was in Flancare Park last season. There was an Apache Pizza van. Lovely :D.

Is that a regular in Flansiro?

DmanDmythDledge
21/04/2008, 10:44 PM
Edit: The best idea on this ever was in Waterford, where the Ghost Busters would walk around the stand with either tea or coffee so it was actually hot when you were drinking it. Cant remember the price but it was reasonable at the time.
They had them everywhere I think, Rocketman was what they were called. Free kitkat too.;)

rambler14
21/04/2008, 10:46 PM
I have never eats anything decent in any eircom league ground, pathetic offerings at over priced rates. Turners Cross is very poor in my opinion. The standard is brutal. Dino's ... two minutes walk about is great, and Lennox probably the best in the city. Neither are in the ground.

Turners Cross is a joke alright. Any of the food vans inside the ground are just Salmonela waiting to happen.
Your best bet when your in the cross is to go outside the ground at half-time to the chipper van directly outside. It's sort of an untapped resource. Homemade chips and very reasonable prices.

Either that or go down the road to Dino's.

gufcfan
21/04/2008, 10:53 PM
The best I have had was in Flancare Park last season. There was an Apache Pizza van.

Oh man, that would be such a class idea.

Would be class if the Supermacs truck that they always have at GAH matches came to Terryland. It would never fit though. Not a chance.

sligoman
21/04/2008, 10:56 PM
Is that a regular in Flansiro?Sadly since relegation hit Longford, Apache has done a runner:(

Soup in Finn Park is nicest I've tried. Soup in Flancare is rotten.

gufcfan
21/04/2008, 11:00 PM
Sadly since relegation hit Longford, Apache has done a runner:(

Not a complete surpise there I have to say. Not worth their while probably.

A face
21/04/2008, 11:09 PM
Your best bet when your in the cross is to go outside the ground at half-time to the chipper van directly outside. It's sort of an untapped resource. Homemade chips and very reasonable prices.

No way are they home made, and completely over priced. Rip off, pesky carton of chips and extortionate price. City fans have given up complaining about it.

sligoman
21/04/2008, 11:11 PM
Make a few bread sandwiches before you leave, far nicer:p

A face
21/04/2008, 11:15 PM
Make a few bread sandwiches before you leave, far nicer:p

Two parents and three kids to get something half decent to eat would cost a fortune. Something the club dont have control over but that would seriously put off a family going again. That is my gripe. I go to Dinos or Lennox, parents cant be dragging their kids up there if they are parked up the direction (most probably) ..... thats what ticks me off about it. I want 10,000 at every home game.

DonO'Bate
21/04/2008, 11:44 PM
Oh man, that would be such a class idea.

Would be class if the Supermacs truck that they always have at GAH matches came to Terryland. It would never fit though. Not a chance.

The SuperMacs van did make a brief appearance in Terryland Park a couple of seasons ago. They even had ice cream on sale but like sunny irish summers the idea didn't last long.

Nicest chips I had at a LOI ground were from a chip shop on Navenny Street, Ballybofey at the halftime interval during a Finn Harps v United match.

The Lilywhites
21/04/2008, 11:51 PM
Sadly since relegation hit Longford, Apache has done a runner:(

Soup in Finn Park is nicest I've tried. Soup in Flancare is rotten.

:) Hotdogs in Flancare are quite nice.

Word of warning - keep away from the chips in Wexford :D

Raheny Red
21/04/2008, 11:52 PM

Agreed, top chipper. By far the nicest take away I've ever had, anywhere.

gufcfan
21/04/2008, 11:53 PM
Nicest chips I had at a LOI ground were from a chip shop on Navenny Street, Ballybofey at the halftime interval during a Finn Harps v United match.

Actually you just sparked my memory into life again!

We did have chips, outside the ground, after the play-off semi-final first leg, a number of years ago in the First Division.

I do remember them hitting the spot nicely, even though we were starved coz we were meant to eat in Supermacs before we went on the bus in Galway, but we were late. Memories:D

deecay
21/04/2008, 11:58 PM
We bought a loaf of bread for the Harps v Dundalk play-off and went in and bought a load of soup and stood on the end terrace as happy as could be,everyone was looking at us.Great soup

GavinZac
22/04/2008, 1:04 AM
It doesn't count as a ground or anything but most of my eating on away trips is done in Josephines and the chipper in Durrow :D

gufcfan
22/04/2008, 1:11 AM
I think the best food I had on an away trip was at a chipper we stopped in, in Kilkenny on the way home from Waterford away last season.

Burger and chips. Meat in burger was perfect and the chips couldn't have been nicer.

We went to the pub next door as well and the barman gave us a great deal on a few bottles for the rest of the journey home.

oldyouth
22/04/2008, 7:44 AM
:) Hotdogs in Flancare are quite nice.

Word of warning - keep away from the chips in Wexford :D

Agreed, but not a problem any more. The chip van has gone and rolls, sambos etc now available in the clubhouse. Haven't tried it yet.

Boo_Boy
22/04/2008, 7:53 AM
Have not got them in a while but the chip van at the showgies makes great chips, heavily over-priced but stick some ketchup & salt on them and you wont complain!:D

i have to get them next week!, by far the best chips i've had when rovers are playing away:D

hedderman
22/04/2008, 10:14 AM
At the Derry Gretna match, at Fir Park, Motherwell we had the nicest fish and chips before the match in a chippie near the ground. A 5-1 victory is even better on a full stomach. :)

Slightly off topic I know but you have to be prepared in case another club plays Motherwell in Europe:p

pete
22/04/2008, 10:18 AM
Unless I am really desperate the only food I buy is at Dalymount/Tolka Burdocks as it is safe enough & I know what I will get. I have noticed that no more Burdocks for away fans this year in Tolka though.

Does any one know what happened Rocketman as I don't remember seeing him last season?

Jerry The Saint
22/04/2008, 10:34 AM
Does any one know what happened Rocketman as I don't remember seeing him last season?

Another tragic casualty of Summer Soccer I'm afraid :(

A face
22/04/2008, 12:47 PM
Agreed, but not a problem any more. The chip van has gone and rolls, sambos etc now available in the clubhouse. Haven't tried it yet.

You should ask the Italian guy to start making Piadina (http://www.cusmilano.it/images/db/piadina.jpg), serious tasty stuff. Rucola, stracchino and prosciutto crudo .... cant beat it !!

noby
22/04/2008, 12:57 PM

I still miss Rocketman, and the Rockettes. I seem to remember they branched out into hot chocolate and Sunny Delight too. I think it was £1 for a coffee and kitkat.

Raheny Red
22/04/2008, 1:38 PM

He's the assistant manager at Bray now.

BohsPartisan
22/04/2008, 1:59 PM
Food at football grounds is universally muck. Usually either undercooked or burned to a crisp.

iceman
22/04/2008, 3:15 PM
The "Wagon of Death" in United Park is woeful.:eek:
A definate candidate for worst food at an EL ground.

pete
22/04/2008, 3:54 PM
Food at football grounds is universally muck. Usually either undercooked or burned to a crisp.

IMO no better or worse than food at any other out door event.

dortie
22/04/2008, 6:19 PM
Why anyone would take delight in frozen chips and mass produced cheap meat from a 'van' is beyond me....:p

Never can or could be bothered to eat when i am on my travels, id rather drink more, after all eatings cheating :D

A proper chinese or Indian the next night is something to look forward too...

Think it depends who you end up with, you either have the alco party type fan or the pie eating food sniffing type who would stand for an hour for a small bag...

headtheball
22/04/2008, 6:25 PM
At the Derry Gretna match, at Fir Park, Motherwell we had the nicest fish and chips before the match in a chippie near the ground. A 5-1 victory is even better on a full stomach. :)

Slightly off topic I know but you have to be prepared in case another club plays Motherwell in Europe:p

The steak pies under the Cooper stand were quality. Beats any i had in some of the bigger stadiums in England.:p

SÓC
22/04/2008, 6:27 PM
On a semi-related note;

Has anyone ever actually seen a pie on sale at a match in Ireland....even if you wanted to eat all the pies you couldn't...

Keen2win
22/04/2008, 7:41 PM

The chip van is still there its just the Pizza van that has left us.

sligoman
22/04/2008, 7:49 PM
The chip van is still there its just the Pizza van that has left us.Read it again, he's on about Wexford.

Paddyfield
22/04/2008, 7:56 PM
The Mon's Dog at Gortakkegan is yummy.

Keen2win
22/04/2008, 7:57 PM
D'oh my bad:o:o

Red&White Rover
22/04/2008, 8:49 PM
Fin Harps is definetely best for value anyway.

Derry IMO is the worst, and having to use different currency makes it a whole lot worse!

oldyouth
22/04/2008, 9:06 PM
D'oh my bad:o:o
Forgiven:p
I don't know if the chip van is gone permanently, but it is no loss from the quality produced. Also there is no way you would get served from half time to the restart.

Kildare Lad
22/04/2008, 9:08 PM
All the food is a rip off and give you scauldy amounts, but i suppose they can get away with it!? Burdocks is the nicest IMO, also had a nice burger in Richmond the other week, €4 though?!

DUFC4life
22/04/2008, 9:58 PM
dont buy a curry chips in turners cross anyway. served in a container with holes in the bottom. wrecked a good pair of my jeans a few weeks ago. rumbles in united park is terrible. its a rip off and the chips are rotten. burdocks is by far the best chipper in an eircom league ground.

GavinZac
22/04/2008, 10:04 PM
dont buy a curry chips in turners cross anyway. served in a container with holes in the bottom. wrecked a good pair of my jeans a few weeks ago.As hilarious as I find this, I'm also interested as to which of the 3 chipper vans did this despicable act? :)

DUFC4life
22/04/2008, 10:06 PM
As hilarious as I find this, I'm also interested as to which of the 3 chipper vans did this despicable act? :)
the one in the stand across from the shed. happened to a good few people.

SligoBrewer
22/04/2008, 10:26 PM
Fin Harps is definetely best for value anyway.

Derry IMO is the worst, and having to use different currency makes it a whole lot worse!

whole post completely seconded.

That chipper ebside the brandywell is bloody gorgeous though. Loved it.

KianD
22/04/2008, 10:36 PM
Always get dinner before I go to game except Finn Park/Dalyer/Tolka, had inedible muck too many times elsewhere.

Note - if going to the chip van on the gantry side in FP, bring Sterling if you've any lying around. Its way cheaper that way... would swear the damn van was in the Brandywell the euro prices they charge!