PDA

View Full Version : Irish contribution to Football in Argentina

Speedy
21/04/2008, 9:49 PM
Attach a link below to a journal that has lots on the Irish contribution to football in Argentina, Uruguay and Spain.

http://www.irlandeses.org/imsla0803.htm

lopez
21/04/2008, 11:34 PM
Welcome to foot.ie.

Good stuff there, if however a lot to read and get through. I am surprised that there are not a lot of Irish names over the years in Agentine sport, specially rugby. In international footy I always thought there's just Jose Luis Brown and some blond fella from the nineties.

I do like the quote from DiStefano: 'The Irish blood means there is something of Great Britain in me, for that I am very grateful, as England has done much for football and continues to do so.' :rolleyes:

BTW. Diego Forlan is also apparently of Irish descent.

boovidge
22/04/2008, 12:44 AM
I do like the quote from DiStefano: 'The Irish blood means there is something of Great Britain in me, for that I am very grateful, as England has done much for football and continues to do so.' :rolleyes:

That's cringeworthy :o

Seagull-4-life
22/04/2008, 7:54 AM
That's cringeworthy :o

Is a wee bit alright

Block G Raptor
22/04/2008, 10:25 AM

Nah that's Richie "Diego" Foran your thinking of :D:D

Speedy
22/04/2008, 11:28 AM
Think Block G Raptor is right. Never heard Diego Forlan had Irish roots.

SaucyJack
22/04/2008, 12:28 PM
Welcome to foot.ie.

Good stuff there, if however a lot to read and get through. I am surprised that there are not a lot of Irish names over the years in Agentine sport, specially rugby. In international footy I always thought there's just Jose Luis Brown and some blond fella from the nineties.

Carlos McAllister.

Speedy
22/04/2008, 5:49 PM
He played for Boca Junior some years back I think

Réiteoir
22/04/2008, 6:32 PM
Velez Sarsfield

Speedy
22/04/2008, 10:38 PM
He never played for Velez - his clubs were Ferrocaril Oeste (run by Dr Santiago Leyden of Irish origin), Racing and Boca.

http://www.clubmacallister.com.ar/CV_Carlos_Javier_Mac_Allister.doc

Speedy
22/04/2008, 11:10 PM
Jose Luis Brown had no Irish roots - he was of Scottish origin from the Leith area of Edinburgh.

Closed Account 2
23/04/2008, 5:52 PM
Gentlemen, I am sure we are all familiar with the Chilean club, C.D. O'Higgins, named after the great liberator of southern Latin America, himself the son of a second generation Sligo man, Ambrosio O'Higgins.

Similarly the Argentine club Almirante Brown are named after Guillermo "Liam" Brown a Mayoman from Foxford. Liam's story is an interesting one. He emigrated to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the 1780s when it was the capital of the fledgling USA (and indeed the city where the delcaration of indepence was signed less than a decade earlier). Liam's familiy and friends succumbed to virulent outbreak of yellow fever which was rampant on the Eastern Seaboard leaving him alone and destitue in the new world. Then one day while wandering on misty banks of the Delaware River (near the present day town of Camden, New Jersey) he met a shipmaster who offered him employment. He worked for the next decade on US Merchant Ships until tragedy struck. His ship was intercepted by a British Caravel and Brown was forced into the Royal Navy. No sooner was he in the Navy than his vessel was captured by the French during the Napoleonic Wars, he was jailed in Verdun Fortress before escaping overland to Prussia. From there he left the Navy, moved to Kent, married and emigrated to Montevideo to work as a trader. The Spanish Puppet Adminstration in Latin America became worried that a man of considerable naval experience was moving to the region as a merchant. They destroyed the ships he had purchased. The Argentine Rebels made Brown the commander of their navy, he attacked the Spanish Colonial Navy, and decimated them. Brown lost his leg in a series of battles but managed to guide his forces to take control of Montevideo. He later died in Argentina and was buried in Racoleta.

Not your average 9-5!

Stevo Da Gull
23/04/2008, 8:57 PM
Yes Diego Forlan is of Irish descent (as is Fabian O'Neill)... but he's clearly a lot more South American in terms of footballing ability :D

from wikipedia: Pablo Forlán Lamarque (born July 14, 1945 in Soriano) is a retired Uruguayan footballer, who is also known as the father of Diego Forlán. His father is Irish and mother Uruguayan of Spanish descent.

BTW I'm aware of the irrelevance of this as a Uruguayan of Irish descent isn't much of a contribution to Argentinian football (although Diego did play for Indipendiente).

Speedy
23/04/2008, 9:34 PM
I'm afraid Wikipedia is not an authorative source. Even in the Spanish Wikipedia version of Pablo's entry this is not mentioned.

Stevo Da Gull
23/04/2008, 10:16 PM
I'm afraid Wikipedia is not an authorative source. Even in the Spanish Wikipedia version of Pablo's entry this is not mentioned.

Fair enough, I can't find anything anywhere else so unless we can contact Pablo or Diego we will never know :( :cool:

old git
23/04/2008, 10:22 PM
Carlos McAllister.

long blond hair and fair skin think he played midfield or full back
:ball:
6- 8-1995 AC Parma-CA Boca Juniors 3-1
[Hristo Stoitchkov 33, 42pen, Thomas Brolin 50; Alphonse Tchami 49]
[Parma: Luca Bucci; Lorenzo Minotti (46' Fernando Couto), Antonio Benarrivo,
Massimo Brambilla (66' Massimo Crippa), Roberto Mussi; Néstor Sensini, Luigi
Apolloni, Hristo Stoitchkov (62' Alessandro Melli), Dino Baggio; Gianfranco
Zola (77' Gabrielle Pin), Filippo Inzaghi (66' Thomas Brolin)]

[Boca Juniors: Navarro Montoya; Diego Soñora, Luis Medero, Néstor Fabbri (46'