PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Kenna appointed Manager of Galway

rod1
21/04/2008, 4:55 PM
According to FAI.ie Jeff Kenna has been appointed the new Galway Utd manager on a 3 year contract.

Best of luck Jeff, as you will need it

micls
21/04/2008, 4:58 PM
Steve Staunton Mark II

GavinZac
21/04/2008, 5:00 PM
Steve Staunton Mark II
I dunno, has Jeff ever put out the cones before? :D

CharlesThompson
21/04/2008, 5:03 PM
Steve Staunton Mark II
I was thinking along the same lines - Gareth Farrelly MII

jebus
21/04/2008, 5:08 PM
Might be an idea to throw this in the joke thread right now.

Seriously though if it weren't for the club he'll be managing I'd wish him the best of luck, always liked him at Blackburn and seemed like a sound guy when I met him in 94 (took time out to come over a few of us watching the Irish team train in UL anyway)

Jicked
21/04/2008, 5:31 PM
In fairness to Kenna everyone has to start somewhere. Staunton wasn't undone by a lack of experience, it was more a complete lack of intelligence. At least Kenna doesn't sound like he's had a lobotomy, and our League has many managers who were succesfull at their first job in their mid to late 30s, Doolin, Fenlon, Scully...

amaccann
21/04/2008, 6:19 PM
No disrespect meant to both the league and Galway, but at least Kenna is starting at the right level; ie, club level, where he can get to grips with the day to day aspects of football management. Stan Mk II's a bit harsh - Stan never had a hope in hell.

Fivesilver
21/04/2008, 6:35 PM
My feeling on this sudden sacking is that we're on the verge of another PR move by the blowhards who run GU. An approach from an agent telling them he can get them an impressive 'name' (former Ireland international or the like), making a quick shafting of Cousins a priority. It would be of a piece with the whole approach of being more concerned with building a brand than winning matches.

Fivesilver aka Nostradamus - 1/4/2008 ;)

fanatic
21/04/2008, 6:44 PM
did he approach them ? or did galway go looking for him i wonder ?

L37Ultra
21/04/2008, 7:15 PM
It will be great to have a former English Premier League winner in the First Division next season.

showgies
21/04/2008, 7:56 PM
Fivesilver aka Nostradamus - 1/4/2008 ;)

Jeff Kenna was an applicant for the Rovers job before Cookie got it.........he could want a start in management

31st March 2008 - Bet you by one day Fivesilver :D

Square Heir
21/04/2008, 8:31 PM
Very intelligent posts everyone.....:rolleyes:
Ireland wouldn't be Ireland without the begrudgers......

Fivesilver
21/04/2008, 9:01 PM
Very intelligent posts everyone

Thanks ... although I'd have preferred 'prescient'. :)

The Man Himself
21/04/2008, 9:16 PM
joke of an appointment,
kenna knows feck all about management,
hes only here for a quick buck.

Patrick Dunne
21/04/2008, 9:31 PM
joke of an appointment,

He has played in the UK for the past twenty years, mostly at top flight clubs such as Blackburn, Southampton, Birmingham.

I presume that he is very well off - he is hardly going to make his fortune at Galway United !

Razors left peg
21/04/2008, 9:56 PM
Ya have to laugh at some of the posts on here.Every body has to make a start in management somewhere. Just because Staunton was a joke with Ireland doesnt make everybody in their first job a bad choice. Roy Keane hasnt done bad in his first job in management!!Even Sam Allardyce make is first start in management in the League of Ireland.To say hes only here for a quick buck is laughable, when he was playing with Blackburn he prob earned more in a month than he will in a year at United.
It might be a bit of a gamble appointing a rookie manager but at least he will instantly command the respect of the players and that is a good place to start, after that we will have to see.But the club had over 30 applicants for the job and didnt rush into the appointment so he must have impressed with his plans and knowledge of the game when he was interviewed

L37Ultra
21/04/2008, 10:14 PM
joke of an appointment,

Ah, he was a Premiership player for many years and he is surely a multi-millionare with a few comfortable livestyle in England, I dont he is becoming Galway United manager for the money. From what I heard he could have continued playing with Kidderminister but He obviously wanted to get involved in management so Galway was a great oppurtunity for him to do this.

DmanDmythDledge
21/04/2008, 10:31 PM
Ya have to laugh at some of the posts on here.Every body has to make a start in management somewhere.
Which is why most people start off as a coach or assistant manager before they become manager of a club. Not saying Kenna will be a failure, but it will be interesting to see how he does considering he has no previous coaching experience. Hope it works out for you and stay up, Galway are going about things the right way and would be a shame if they were to be relegated.

John83
21/04/2008, 11:20 PM
In fairness to Kenna everyone has to start somewhere. Staunton wasn't undone by a lack of experience, it was more a complete lack of intelligence. At least Kenna doesn't sound like he's had a lobotomy, and our League has many managers who were succesfull at their first job in their mid to late 30s, Doolin, Fenlon, Scully...
While I mostly agree with you, I feel compelled to point out that Paul Doolin got a good UCD team relegated, and left our youth setup (unquestionably our strong point) in a shambles. Invoking his name is sufficient to get some people in the club to spit blood; most others roll their eyes and let out a sigh. Doolin learned on the job, but he wasn't an instant success, whatever you may think of him now.

DotTV
22/04/2008, 1:13 AM
I think its good to see an ex Irish international leaving England to get involved in Irish soccer.He's played in the top flight in England for years and is bound to have a great knowledge of the professional game.He's achieved more and played at a higher level than anyone else at the club and given his status may attract some good players to Galway.
Obviously there is a big question mark over his management skills but I think he's worth a shot and to be honest things couldn't get much worse!

gufcfan
22/04/2008, 3:54 AM
He has played in the UK for the past twenty years, mostly at top flight clubs such as Blackburn, Southampton, Birmingham.

I presume that he is very well off - he is hardly going to make his fortune at Galway United !

Exactly, the same as the jokes that were going around when Nick Leeson came to the club.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that Galway United would be able to pay Kenna enough money in order that someone could accuse Kenna of being out to make a quick buck.

Paddyfield
22/04/2008, 6:32 AM
Did you see Kenna in Monday Night Soccer last night? He was beamed in from the Galway studio.

That would never have happened during Cousins' era because he'd have had to drive 120 miles to RTE Galway.

Onwards and upwards.....

gufct
22/04/2008, 7:12 AM
Paddy its getting boring now.The man is gone leave it.

Tir Oilean
22/04/2008, 10:44 AM
whos paddy? its paddyfield.

Tir Oilean
22/04/2008, 10:46 AM
Which is why most people start off as a coach or assistant manager before they become manager of a club. Not saying Kenna will be a failure, but it will be interesting to see how he does considering he has no previous coaching experience. Hope it works out for you and stay up, Galway are going about things the right way and would be a shame if they were to be relegated.

I believe he was actually at Kidderminster as a player/coach so he does have a little bit of experience. He strikes me as an intelligent individual and has surely learned from his time playing for top managers in the uk

snookerloopy
22/04/2008, 11:05 AM
Did you see Kenna in Monday Night Soccer last night? He was beamed in from the Galway studio.

That would never have happened during Cousins' era because he'd have had to drive 120 miles to RTE Galway.

Onwards and upwards.....

Looked a bit like gary cooke to be honest!!

Jemmy
22/04/2008, 2:03 PM
from what I know he has a wife and 2 kids living in england - he is most definitely not coming back to ireland for the money or convenience.

He wants to make a name for himself as a manager so its up to him - wont suit his CV if he fails at galway - so give him a chance and wait & see.

Surely hes better than the usual suspects who seem to just move from one LOI club to another.

I think he is to be applauded for taking this gamble and uprooting and moving to Galway - so lets see.

BTW he has his EUFA A badge which is more than most other managers have.

Paddyfield
22/04/2008, 5:24 PM
Paddyfield, its getting boring now.The man is gone leave it.

At last, you have accepted TC has gone forever. Well done Micky.

DmanDmythDledge
22/04/2008, 5:32 PM
BTW he has his EUFA A badge which is more than most other managers have.
Well then you will be surprised to find out that almost every manager in the Premier Division has a pro license and that a couple of current players have the A license.

RĂ©iteoir
22/04/2008, 8:09 PM
The appointment made the back page of our local paper here in England (the Worcester News) this morning (Kenna was playing for Kidderminster - one of our local sides)

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/sport/kssportharriers/kssportharriersnews/kssportharriersnewsks/display.var.2212496.0.kenna_takes_up_galway_job.ph p (the link is from the Kidderminster Shuttle - but the same story appeared in our paper too)

Liked how much detail they went into - getting the League name correct (usually used to state "Irish League", plus they gave details of the first game - probably the first time I've seen Bray Wanderers mentioned in there :D)

I wonder how many of the Irish National Papers had news on Kenna's new job this morning - I'd wager none

Gaillimh Al
22/04/2008, 9:25 PM
Kenna relishing fantastic opportunity

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/309/

Mr A
22/04/2008, 9:55 PM
I wonder how many of the Irish National Papers had news on Kenna's new job this morning - I'd wager none

Both the Irish Times and the Indo had pieces on it.

eamo1
22/04/2008, 10:01 PM
Also,according to The Sentinel 40% of his wages this year depend on the club staying up.Plus,his wife and kids are coming for the game on friday but are going back to live in England till the kids finish school for the year.Then they are gonna look at houses around Galway with a view to buying one in the Summer.i think that shows real commitment to move his young family over here.Ive a strange feeling inside me for the months ahead,i think its called optimism,had forgotten what that was like going to terryland.

Paddyfield
22/04/2008, 10:04 PM
Both the Irish Times and the Indo had pieces on it.

It was actually mentioned on the front page of the Irish Times. There were colour photos of JK with a GUFC scarf in most of the tabloids.

geezer
22/04/2008, 10:11 PM
well attended press conference surprised kenna a bit. He featured on rte1 six oclock news, Nuacht TG4, Sports tonight tv3 and 3 mins on rte2 late night news & sport. The sponsors were very happy id say

The Lilywhites
23/04/2008, 6:53 AM
According to the Herald last night, Kenna's middle name is Jude. Quite apt that, as Jude is the patron saint of desperate cases and lost causes :D

Demoshield
23/04/2008, 7:41 AM
According to the Herald last night, Kenna's middle name is Jude. Quite apt that, as Jude is the patron saint of desperate cases and lost causes :D

OMG! you are just so witty & real quick too!!. How long did it take you to come up with that one. 6 days too late,I suppose that would be the norm for people from that part of the country!!:D & you should know where the Herald gets all it's info.

Full name: Jeffrey Jude Kenna
The name swings it for me. Patron saint of hopeless cases St. Jude.
A match made in heaven!!!

Maroon 7
23/04/2008, 10:20 AM

I feel bad enough for you that you actually read the Evening Herald without saying anything else.

The Lilywhites
23/04/2008, 11:06 AM
I feel bad enough

Not as bad as you will feel in November.

Maroon 7
23/04/2008, 11:37 AM
Not as bad as you will feel in November.

Ah the Heddald is a great old read alright. I gave up the comics myself a good few years ago though.:D

Tir Oilean
23/04/2008, 6:41 PM
Ive a strange feeling inside me for the months ahead,i think its called optimism,had forgotten what that was like going to terryland.

I hear ya Eamo1 wasnt jumping up and down when I heard the name being mentioned but I have a good feeling about friday and the rest of the season. Cmon you boys in Maroon!!!!:ball:

Gaillimh Al
23/04/2008, 7:34 PM
Some more insight from our Jeff:-

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/312/

Paddyfield
23/04/2008, 9:55 PM
Many managers came to this League and failed. Many more succeeded and went onto prove themselves across the water after learning the ropes in ireland>>>>

Sanchez
McStay
Alderdyce
Gannon

Kenna???

The Lilywhites
24/04/2008, 11:04 AM
Many managers came to this League and failed. Many more succeeded and went onto prove themselves across the water after learning the ropes in ireland>>>>

Gannon

How did Gannon succeed in management over here? :confused:

MyTown
24/04/2008, 11:47 AM
How did Gannon succeed in management over here? :confused:

Eh..I think Paddy's point is that JG is regarded as being a success over there

Doesn't alter the fact that that both Big Sam and Lawrie are both possessors of P45s at present so the overall point is a bit weak I think.

dublinred
24/04/2008, 12:00 PM

Sanchez
McStay
Alderdyce
Gannon

Kenna???

We have had more managers than anyone else from the UK some good(McStay,Sanchez, Cotterhiil, Connor, Cook) and some brutal(McDonald,Cassidy,Mullen) the ones who did well quickly grasped the quality of the league and what kind of players are needed , McDonald thought he had signed some class players many of whom never seen the first team. A lot will depend on the players that Kenna brings in as by the looks of things the current squad isn't up to standard if Kenna makes a few good signings everything should be ok.

Tir Oilean
24/04/2008, 2:32 PM
In fairness both Big Sam and Lawrie have had huge success(in terms of the squads they had not in cup and titles obviously!) in their careers since leaving our league despite the fact their most recent jobs have not been anywhere near successful