PDA

View Full Version : Dublin-Meath scoring

pete
21/04/2008, 12:29 PM
Any one see the fight? How did you score it?

RTE (http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/0420/dublin_meath.html)

After a mass sixth-minute melee, Dublin's Paddy Andrews and Bernard Brogan and Meath corner-backs Niall McKeigue and Shane McAnarney were all sent-off by referee Paddy Russell.

Ciaran Whelan followed them in the 15th minute for flooring Seamus Kenny.

Seems to have been a draw on the 6th minute for Dublin winning in 15th minute TKO?

I know if football if 3 players from the same team are sent off the game is abandoned. Any one know if similar rule in other sports such as the GAA?

shakermaker1982
21/04/2008, 1:02 PM
Hopefully that thug Whelan gets a proper ban.

paul_oshea
21/04/2008, 1:35 PM
ya exactly, breaking and dislocating a fellas shoulder with a stupid foot lunge in Gaelic.

Docboy
21/04/2008, 4:17 PM
Hopefully that thug Whelan gets a proper ban.

For an open handed slap?

Marked Man
21/04/2008, 4:33 PM
Wasn't at the game (commute from NY restricts me to only one a year), but I've looked at the footage on youtube a few times, and it looks to me like Whelan got sent off for a push. A ban would be well out of order for that (though I could see people receiving bans for their part in the earlier incident).

Superhoops
21/04/2008, 8:30 PM
Ciaran Whelan has been one of the best midfield players around over the last decade, but he will never be classed as a great because of his lack of self control and indiscipline.

The reckless and unnecessary way in which he swung out his arm yesterday was nasty and not very intelligent after what happened a few minutes earlier. Seamus Kenny may have gone down a bit dramatically but there was no doubt about Whelan's intent.

shakermaker1982
22/04/2008, 11:19 AM
Bloody hell the GAA weren't shy in handing out bans this morning......

Superhoops
22/04/2008, 12:27 PM
WOW! (http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/16-players-banned-after-parnell-park-debacle-1354928.html)

By Colm Keys on Indo website

Tuesday April 22 2008

Dublin and Meath have had the book thrown at them in sensational fashion for Sunday's Parnell Park melee.

An unprecedented number of proposed suspensions and fines for both County Boards were handed out in record quick time as the GAA took its toughest line yet in promising to root out indiscipline.

Sixteen players, eight from each side, including the five sent off in the first 15 minutes by referee Paddy Russell, have been hit with proposed suspensions ranging from four to eight weeks.

Ciaran Whelan, Bernard Brogan, Paul Flynn, Dermot Connolly, Paddy Andrews, and Ross McConnell are among the eight Dublin players facing the prospect of between one and two months on the sidelines.

Reeling

Meath were left reeling from a similar set of proposed suspensions as Darren Fay, Seamus Kenny, Niall McKeigue, Nigel Crawford and team captain Brendan Murphy were hit with possible two-month bans while Caoimhin King, Shane McAnarney and Peadar Byrne are facing a month on the sidelines. McKeigue and McAnarney were sent off for their part in the melee on Sunday.

Both County Boards were informed of the proposed suspensions yesterday evening and have the option of personal hearings to clear their names or acceptance of the terms of the proposals.

Unless Dublin are successful in appealing some of the proposed suspensions they will be without nine players for Saturday night's Allianz Division Two final against Westmeath in Navan including Alan Brogan who is under suspension for his red card in Crossmaglen.

The weight of the suspensions has the capacity to affect Meath's championship more severely as they are due to meet Carlow on May 18 with the winners facing Wexford two weeks later.

None of those facing one-month bans will miss a championship match but the potential two-month suspensions to the five Meath players incorporates both the first round and the quarter-final if they make it that far, leaving them without four front-line defenders.

In addition both County Boards were hit with record fines for the incident, some €20,000 in each case.

geysir
22/04/2008, 12:34 PM
Wasn't at the game (commute from NY restricts me to only one a year), but I've looked at the footage on youtube a few times, and it looks to me like Whelan got sent off for a push. A ban would be well out of order for that (though I could see people receiving bans for their part in the earlier incident).
Can you not watch the Sunday sport segments on the RTE website, I don´t think there are any isp restrictions.

Last time I looked Westmeath were still 11/4 with PP to beat Dublin in the Div 2 final.
Could be a good bet with the Dubs having to park their macho style for a while.

Ash
22/04/2008, 12:50 PM
10/3 earlier on today

geysir
22/04/2008, 12:56 PM
Westmeath are no slouchers (judging by their yellow card count :))
they could hammer Dublin senseless in the game and still come out of it with their halos intact.

geysir
22/04/2008, 1:00 PM
For an open handed slap?

Rumour has it that he has 2 horseshoes inside each glove.:)

pete
22/04/2008, 3:59 PM
Apparently the Dublin keeper has been suspended for 12 months for cowardice :D

Getting bans for time periods has been removed from almost every other sport. The GAA needs to move to game suspensions. If players knew they could miss say 3 Championship games would have a serious impact.

Everyone condemns the fight but everyone knows if will happen again as no :ball: s to take drastic action.

deecay
22/04/2008, 6:02 PM
Great to see the thugs get banned

Ceirtlis
22/04/2008, 10:31 PM
Ciaran Whelan has been one of the best midfield players around over the last decade, but he will never be classed as a great because of his lack of self control and indiscipline.

The reckless and unnecessary way in which he swung out his arm yesterday was nasty and not very intelligent after what happened a few minutes earlier. Seamus Kenny may have gone down a bit dramatically but there was no doubt about Whelan's intent.

The guys a hatchet man and his reputation now proceeds him. What he did to Ronan McGarrity a couple of years ago in the All-Ireland semi finals was one of the most cowardly and vicious acts I have seen in sport.

Superhoops
22/04/2008, 11:53 PM
The guys a hatchet man and his reputation now proceeds him. What he did to Ronan McGarrity a couple of years ago in the All-Ireland semi finals was one of the most cowardly and vicious acts I have seen in sport.

The disappointing thing about him for me is that if he would only concentrate on the footballing he is one of the best around. You don't get 2 All Stars for just being a hatchet man.

He has a nasty side and a short fuse and no doubt some opponents set out to wind him up as they are guaranteed almost 100% to make him snap.

Ceirtlis
23/04/2008, 11:28 AM
The disappointing thing about him for me is that if he would only concentrate on the footballing he is one of the best around. You don't get 2 All Stars for just being a hatchet man.

He has a nasty side and a short fuse and no doubt some opponents set out to wind him up as they are guaranteed almost 100% to make him snap.

He has gone up in my estimation I must admit now he has apologised and said that he will take his punishment, I hope the same will be said for the rest of the players involved.

He is a good player alright, takes it upon himself to try and bully the opposition though and has in the past gone awol in the big matches in the past. last year was probably the best year i remember him having.

dublin are abit insecure as a team i think. very confrontational but very prone to losing leads and wilting when the going gets tough.

Réiteoir
23/04/2008, 11:38 AM
Final Result just in:

Paddy Russell 5-11
Dublin & Meath 0-0

Ash
23/04/2008, 11:59 AM
Are they going to appeal the bans and if so will the
players be eligible to play until the appeal is heard?

paul_oshea
23/04/2008, 12:10 PM

and ger heneghan!!

Yes and No Ash.

Pete if the bans stand it will be 3 games for meath assuming they win at least 2 matches.

superfrank
23/04/2008, 12:44 PM
Sour grapes from Caffrey.

Caffrey claims Dubs 'hung out to dry' (http://www.ireland.com/sports/gaa/2008/0423/1208904363936.html)

My favourite is this:

He added that the media reaction was "over the top" and agreed with selector David Billings' assertion that GAA president Nicky Brennan had "prejudiced" the CCCC's investgation by claiming he was "disgusted" by the 29-man brawl

We're not talking four Linfield fans getting arrested outside the ground before a match Paul, we're talking 29 fully-grown adults, supposed role models, playing the national sport and descending to animal-like violence.

Nicky Brennan is right to say what he said. He's the president and he should condemn it.

pete
23/04/2008, 12:45 PM
Pete if the bans stand it will be 3 games for meath assuming they win at least 2 matches.

Is that just the luck of the draw that they have games within the ban period?

paul_oshea
23/04/2008, 1:21 PM
Is that just the luck of the draw that they have games within the ban period?

No, as its not anyway lucky for them :D But yes!

Marked Man
23/04/2008, 3:25 PM

Caffrey claims Dubs 'hung out to dry' (http://www.ireland.com/sports/gaa/2008/0423/1208904363936.html)

Pillar isn't often right (as anyone who's watched his substitutions in Championship games will agree), but he's right here. The media reaction was over the top ("Blue Murder" was the headline in one paper, for example). And Dublin/Meath have been made an example of. You can of course argue that an example needed to be set, to avoid this sort of thing in the future. I don't disagree with that. But any time an example is set for this kind of reason, the person/team being made an example of is being "hung out to dry," since they are being punished for stuff others have gotten away with.

Jinxy
23/04/2008, 10:35 PM

My favourite is this:

We're not talking four Linfield fans getting arrested outside the ground before a match Paul, we're talking 29 fully-grown adults, supposed role models, playing the national sport and descending to animal-like violence.

Nicky Brennan is right to say what he said. He's the president and he should condemn it.

Are you for real? The hysterical nonsense from the media since Sunday is entirely predictable, but the amount of otherwise intelligent people that have been sucked in by it is quite surprising. I was at the game and had the best of craic with the mixed group of fans around me (who were all a bit bemused it must be said) the players shook hands at the end, and were chatting to each other outside the clubhouse afterwards. Animal-like violence? You must lead a very sheltered life.:confused:

Ceirtlis
24/04/2008, 11:09 AM
Are you for real? The hysterical nonsense from the media since Sunday is entirely predictable, but the amount of otherwise intelligent people that have been sucked in by it is quite surprising. I was at the game and had the best of craic with the mixed group of fans around me (who were all a bit bemused it must be said) the players shook hands at the end, and were chatting to each other outside the clubhouse afterwards. Animal-like violence? You must lead a very sheltered life.:confused:

Yeah it probably wasnt as bad as other incidents but the thing is it was Dublin was involved again following on from a fairly serious ruckus in Omagh a couple of years ago and lots of petit little things since like the hullobalo last year over their players celebrating in opposition players faces. I see the bold Pillar says that they have been hung out to dry, well maybe he should tell the players to be a bit more intelligent and not get involved in incidents like this which gain you nothing ultimately. Also they would be as well to just accept the suspensions and get on with, see clare v cork last year when a similar incident occured and the losers from the drawn out appeals were clare and cork.

pete
24/04/2008, 11:20 AM
Heard I think it was Dublin player say that it was impossible to have a Gaelic football match without aggression as it was a contact sport. Rugby is a bigger contact sport but fights are rare & almost unheard of to have entire teams fighting. He also said most of the players were pulling others away but that doesn't explain some guys charging in with cowardly attacks from behind.

Jinxy
24/04/2008, 11:54 AM
First off, if you want to go down the rugby comparison road I'll find you plenty of youtube videos to put that one to bed. This constant comparison with rugby is a red herring anyway. First of all, the players only come together to tackle, ruck, maul, scrum etc. Its far easier to referee than soccer and gaelic games as you usually have a single point of contact, or a line along which tackles are being made. You don't have to worry about what the full backs are at when there is a ruck in the middle of the field. They aren't standing on each others toes for the entire game. Secondly, you can quite legitimately break someone in 2 with a tackle in rugby if you feel they have it coming. Despite this, you will still see more kicks and punches thrown (and landed) in a season of top level rugby i.e. Magners League, Heineken Cup, French League, English League than you will see in 10 years of competitive intercounty football. But of course, stamping on a mans head is ok if he has the audacity to lie down in the wrong place.:confused:

pete
24/04/2008, 1:50 PM
Despite this, you will still see more kicks and punches thrown (and landed) in a season of top level rugby i.e. Magners League, Heineken Cup, French League, English League than you will see in 10 years of competitive intercounty football.

In the amateur days rugby regularly had scraps but massive reduction since professionalism. Sure you get the odd slap but it lasts a few seconds. Inter-County Gaelic football is the top level of its sport so only fair to compare against the competitions you listed above. If you can find a clip of 20+ rugby players having a fight I will accept your point.

Jinxy
24/04/2008, 2:00 PM
Do you remember the countless complaints from the media and the numerous irate callers to Liveline after this incident earlier in the year? Cos I don't.

V49tjT1DJGU

dublinred
24/04/2008, 2:33 PM
If Caffrey was on Cop duty and a similar bust up took place outside a pub on a friday night would he stand there and watch or make arrests? (poll please)

Marked Man
24/04/2008, 2:37 PM
Can we put the "if you did that on the street..." line to bed please? There's lots of things that you can quite legitimately do on a sports field that would get you arrested on the street. For example, as someone pointed out on another forum, if you shouldered someone on the street, that would count as assault.

Marked Man
24/04/2008, 2:38 PM
Do you remember the countless complaints from the media and the numerous irate callers to Liveline after this incident earlier in the year? Cos I don't.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=V49tjT1DJGU

Just shows--no-one gives a rat's arse about rugby.

paul_oshea
24/04/2008, 2:41 PM
If Caffrey was on Cop duty and a similar bust up took place outside a pub on a friday night would he stand there and watch or make arrests? (poll please)

He is a guard, simple answer. Stand there and watch and wait till its over.

Jinxy
24/04/2008, 2:43 PM
Pointless argument. If Richard Dunne was walking down the street and decided to slide tackle a traffic warden what would happen then? I'm not sure if this is just an exercise in point scoring with some people but I find it very hard to believe anyone who watches or plays sports like soccer, rugby, NFL, MMA, boxing etc. on a regular basis is actually that bothered about what happened during that Dublin-Meath game.

geysir
24/04/2008, 3:58 PM
Most of Pete's contact with GAA comes from - I just happen to pass by the tv screen and I accidently saw .....(fill in gap with some controversy). Or opinions on the game can be sourced to - I heard it from someone who says ,,,,.

Time period suspensions are a feature of Rugby, that's 2 of the big 3 leading sports in the country but its the GAA who should catch up :)

pete
24/04/2008, 3:59 PM

Handful of players involved. Certainly no where near 29 players.

Jinxy
24/04/2008, 4:30 PM

Pete have you actually seen it? There was maybe 2 lads that threw a single punch and the rest were either just grappling with an opposition player or trying to separate lads. They are amateurs compared to these lads.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCeONxRzu8

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6gI97xVurYk&feature=related

Marked Man
24/04/2008, 7:56 PM

So in a multi-player altercation, it's the number of players involved that matters?

Jinxy
24/04/2008, 7:59 PM
It would seem some brawls are more equal than others!

Macy
25/04/2008, 7:27 AM
Time period suspensions are a feature of Rugby, that's 2 of the big 3 leading sports in the country but its the GAA who should catch up :)
But weekly games are a feature of rugby as well. Not very often that the same length ban would mean missing two season defining games in the same competition. Meath RRS by Dublin based administrators.

McShels
25/04/2008, 9:06 AM
I know if football if 3 players from the same team are sent off the game is abandoned.

WRONG!!!!

If a team has less than 7 players then the game is abandoned, the Sheffield Utd V WBA game in 2002 (i think) was stopped by the ref as he had sent off 3 Sheffield players and then 2 went off injured after they had used all 3 subs

paul_oshea
25/04/2008, 9:36 AM
Most of Pete's contact with GAA comes from - I just happen to pass by the tv screen and I accidently saw .....(fill in gap with some controversy). Or opinions on the game can be sourced to - I heard it from someone who says ,,,,.

:D haha brilliant, he must get himself into a lot of "accidents" though....unbreakable :D

Pete, though what exactly is your point in this matter?!

monutdfc
25/04/2008, 10:36 AM
I don't buy this "contact sport" BS. For far, far too long random violence has been part and parcel of gaelic football, and it has nothing to do with the contact nature of the sport - punching a guy on the face is not part of the sport. The problem is it is tolerated, and the "hard man" is admired, not chastised. Sure that Dublin-Meath brawl gets the headlines because the Dubs are involved (much like the infamous "Battle of Old Trafford" where bugger all happened), but go to any club game and there's a fifty-fifty chance there will be a bout of fisticuffs, ranging from the one-on-one to the all-out brawl. I have seen it so often, and it is not part of the game, it is ruining the game.

Jinxy
25/04/2008, 11:23 AM
As someone who regularly plays gaelic football I can tell you from my experience there are far fewer "one-in-all-in" brawls in club football than there used to be. At intercounty level you can count the big brawls of the last 10 years on the one hand. This is a bit like the crime argument. I can say that on the whole Ireland is a safe country (which it is), but you could get someone who was mugged to tell me otherwise. Isolated incidents do not reflect the wider reality. When you have thousands and thousands of people playing gaelic games which are quite tribal in nature, it's inevitable that there will be flare-ups from time to time. The sky isn't falling because Dublin and Meath got stuck into each other. No one was hurt, they shook hands afterwards and life goes on. Of course its in the medias interest to make a fuss over it. Eircom League fans should take note of the Heralds ridiculous coverage of the Pats v Linfield affair. It's all about selling papers and filling air-time, NOT having a fair and balanced look at the actual events.

geysir
25/04/2008, 11:45 AM
The Dubs have been the butt of ridicule from culchies for the past few years.
Throwing shapes, fake hard man bravado, goading the opposition, walking slowly up to the Hill.
This year I was surprised to see that they are still bringing that shíte into the game when they played Monaghan.
None of that will be of any use against an Ulster team or Kerry.
The Dubs are the Tim Henmans of the GAA

shakermaker1982
25/04/2008, 12:04 PM
Throwing shapes, fake hard man bravado, goading the opposition, walking slowly up to the Hill.
This year I was surprised to see that they are still bringing that shíte into the game when they played Monaghan.

I think that's a tad harsh on Tim Henman Geysir!!!! :D

Marked Man
25/04/2008, 12:51 PM
You mean an Ulster team like Derry?

paul_oshea
25/04/2008, 1:41 PM

HAHA :D

I forwarded that onto a few of the lads to rile them up. Good man gersir stick up for your oriel county farney men!