PDA

View Full Version : Intertoto Cup Draw

Pages : [1] 2

mattl
21/04/2008, 11:13 AM
The draw for the Intertoto Cup is due to take place at 12pm CET today. Anyone got any news on this?

Bohs are representing us in this and if they get through 3 rounds will enter the Uefa Cup.

NavanBohs
21/04/2008, 11:26 AM
Rumours on their forum that we have been drawn against Rhyl of Wales, hope so, sounds like a deadly away trip! nothing will be confirmed on their site until 2pm it says, they have to do teh draws for the 2nd and 3rd rounds too I think...

Finlay Harp
21/04/2008, 11:38 AM
Whats the craic with Boh's being the first side in Europe to feature a shirt sponsor? Seen it on the Rhyl website!

Block G Raptor
21/04/2008, 11:44 AM
Please say this true. cousins have a caravan in rhyl would be great craic
Got my first tatoo in Rhy; circa 2000 and also went to a game whilst there. their stadium would be quite similar to the Carlise grounds which is Ironic as rhyl is very like Bray as in seaside town, Amusements etc.

ifk101
21/04/2008, 11:54 AM
Bohs against Rhyl. (Took this from Elfsborg - Sweden's reps in the intertoto).

Second round against winner Latvia/ Iceland.

Third Round winners Sweden/Faroes - Scotland.

Schumi
21/04/2008, 11:57 AM
Excellent chance of making the third round so. Winners of round 3 go into the UEFA Cup, yeah?

ifk101
21/04/2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah winners of the third round into the Uefa Cup.

DmanDmythDledge
21/04/2008, 12:03 PM
Excellent chance of making the third round so. Winners of round 3 go into the UEFA Cup, yeah?
Only second qualifying round.

Hibernian will be representing Scotland- can't see Bohs beating them if they get that far, although I'd say they would give them a decent game.

TheBoss
21/04/2008, 12:04 PM
Bohs against Rhyl. (Took this from Elfsborg - Sweden's reps in the intertoto).

Second round against winner Latvia/ Iceland.

Third Round winners Sweden/Faroes - Scotland.

Latvia - Skonto Riga
Iceland - Fylkir
Faroes - Havnar Boltfelag
Scotland - Dundee United/Motherwell/Hibernian

mattl
21/04/2008, 12:07 PM
No excellent chance at making the third. We only have to play a Latvia/Icelandic team in the 2nd round.

We don't play Scotland or Sweden until the 3rd round.

Block G Raptor
21/04/2008, 12:17 PM
Sweet. fast ferry to Holyhead. half hour on the train to rhyl and a five minute walk to the stadium. Lets go Mental we're going continental

pete
21/04/2008, 12:21 PM
I would expect Bohs to make the 3rd round based on that draw although Latvians not bad. The again the last team black & red striped team to play in wales did not get on so well... Wales-Latvia-Scotland trips should be sponsored by beer company :p

Scottish team would be great trip too & would attract reasonable home crowd. I normally avoid SPL matches on TV but saw some of Dundee United & Hibernian yesterday & was terrible but don't know if that representative of the standard of those teams.

Sam_Heggy
21/04/2008, 12:26 PM
Latvia - Skonto Riga

Jesus these boys are crap, impressive stadium (ish) but basketball is the main sport in Latvia, should be no probs there.

ifk101
21/04/2008, 12:30 PM
Elfsborg (Sweden) will be more than a match for the Scottish team esp. as Elfsborg will be match fit whilst the Scots will only be starting pre-season.

A face
21/04/2008, 12:34 PM
I think Bohs fans will have to be a bit cute and not blow all their money on the first game away. What alot of City fans did the last time was back City to win (€1-200) and made money to go on the next trip. They'll have to have their mouse on the submit button as well to get cheap flights to next away leg.

BohDiddley
21/04/2008, 12:48 PM
Jesus these boys are crap, impressive stadium (ish) but basketball is the main sport in Latvia, should be no probs there.
And football is the main sport in Ireland? :rolleyes:

thischarmingman
21/04/2008, 12:58 PM
And football is the main sport in Ireland? :rolleyes:

Wikipedia says:

With 20,000 players (men and women) registered at clubs, football is easily the most popular sport in Iceland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_Iceland

:p

BohsPartisan
21/04/2008, 1:00 PM
Class, really hope we get to the third round and play Hibs. Love Edinburgh!

Finlay Harp
21/04/2008, 1:05 PM
What about my sponsorship question:(

dcfcsteve
21/04/2008, 1:07 PM
Rhyl is a great draw. You should have few issues beating them, and it's a handy away trip for Dublin fans. Probably quicker for yees to get there than it is to Derry or Ballbofey :D

When are the two legs ? I might head up to the Welsh one meself.

Rhyl lost to Portmadog on Saturday, which has saved the Ports from relegation. The Welsh league is over now, otherwise you could've watched Rhyl on S4C yourselves. They are in the League Cup Final on Sunday, but I'm fairly sure it won't be televised in any way though.

As for Skonto Riga - they're not as bad as most people would instantly assume. Granted - they're not brilliant, but they're not muck either. They'd definitely be better than Rhyl.

CharlesThompson
21/04/2008, 1:10 PM
Rhyl is a great draw. You should have few issues beating them, and it's a handy away trip for Dublin fans. Probably quicker for yees to get there than it is to Derry or Ballbofey :D

Rhyl lost to Portmadog on Saturday, which has saved the Ports from relegation. The Welsh league is over now, otherwise you could've watched Rhyl on S4C yourselves. They are in the League Cup Final on Sunday, but I'm fairly sure it won't be televised in any way though.

As for Skonto Riga - they're not as bad as most people would instantly assume. Granted - they're not brilliant, but they're not muck either. They'd definitely be better than Rhyl.
Does former Bohs player Andre Pereplyotkin still play for Skonto Riga?

Hibs4Ever
21/04/2008, 1:10 PM
The Scottish team will be Hibs (if they don't finish 3rd). Motherwell and Dundee Utd didn't apply for Intertoto spot

BohsPartisan
21/04/2008, 1:11 PM
What about my sponsorship question:(

It was the 1970's and the sponsor was Jodi.

Block G Raptor
21/04/2008, 1:11 PM

At the moment it's Dalymount on the 21st June and Rhyl on the following saturday 28th although some of the rhyl fans on gypsie web said they've switched the ties in the last too years to play away from home in the second leg

Sheridan
21/04/2008, 1:14 PM
Does former Bohs player Andre Pereplyotkin still play for Skonto Riga?
Yep, although he's switched allegiance to Latvia and is now a full international, and is known as Andrejs Perepļotkins.

Cymro
21/04/2008, 1:58 PM
The Rhyl fans will be happy with that - visited their forum a few days ago and they were keeping their fingers crossed for that very draw. At the very least, they'll get a good crowd.

It might be on telly, but if not, I might try and get up there for it myself, so watch out for a plus-size guy in a Swansea City (or Wales) shirt!

Block G Raptor
21/04/2008, 2:06 PM
Cymru. do you know if Rhyl get an unsavory crowd? thinking on bringing the kids over for it hoping it will be safe

Cymro
21/04/2008, 2:26 PM
I went there for an FAW Premier Cup game couple of years back and it was fine, no problems with the crowd (~1,000 there that night, will probably be capacity 3,000 for European game depending on how many Bohemians take). Stay away from the town's West End though, it has a bit of reputation.

Block G Raptor
21/04/2008, 2:32 PM
Cheers

it's officially confirmed now (http://www.uefa.com/competitions/intertotocup/news/kind=1/newsid=686088.html?cid=rssfeed&att=index)

Bluebeard
21/04/2008, 3:54 PM
Cheers

it's officially confirmed now (http://www.uefa.com/competitions/intertotocup/news/kind=1/newsid=686088.html?cid=rssfeed&att=index)

Excellent - if the second leg is in Wales, I might well try to travel down for it!

Block G Raptor
21/04/2008, 3:57 PM
Excellent - if the second leg is in Wales, I might well try to travel down for it!

Give us a shout and I'll meet you for beers

pateen
21/04/2008, 3:58 PM
If ye get a scottish team in the 3rd round (all going well) then it would be a great crowd puller

Cymro
21/04/2008, 4:01 PM
I think demand for the game in Rhyl is going to exceed the available tickets, having done a bit of reading around their forum. I'm not sure if standing will be allowed either, in which case the capacity for Belle Vue will be cut to 1,800.

I doubt many neutrals will be able to get in at this rate and the game could potentially attract 5,000+ - maybe they will switch it to the Racecourse?

dcfcsteve
21/04/2008, 8:05 PM
I think demand for the game in Rhyl is going to exceed the available tickets, having done a bit of reading around their forum. I'm not sure if standing will be allowed either, in which case the capacity for Belle Vue will be cut to 1,800.

I doubt many neutrals will be able to get in at this rate and the game could potentially attract 5,000+ - maybe they will switch it to the Racecourse?

Do Rhyl fans fancy their chances Cymro ? I can see this being City-Gretna Mark 2, with the Rhyla fans thinking they'll win of the back of Longford's dire performance a few years back.

If anyone wants to take a look at Rhyl, 'Y Clwb Pel-Droed' (weekly Welsh Premier programme) is repeated tonight on S4C at 11:25pm.

Sky Channel 134 in the Republic.

Stevo Da Gull
21/04/2008, 8:14 PM
If it's Hibs and Bohs make it that far then I heavily fancy Hibs. I know Irish clubs have had good results against Scottish opposition but, as someone who has seen a fair bit of them, I reckon Hibs have too much for Bohs.

Best of luck to Bohs against Rhyl :cool:

Soper
21/04/2008, 8:16 PM
Hibs would be too much for Bohs if they were in season, but they won't be.

niallsparky
21/04/2008, 8:18 PM
Hibs would be strong favourites if we get there but you never know. I'd love to knock Scottish opposition out of Europe again. Was talking to a barstooler today who was adamant that any scottish team would be much too good for us :rolleyes:

Stevo Da Gull
21/04/2008, 8:25 PM
I'd expect any top 6 SPL team to beat an EL side, outside of that I don't know.
Hibs take the Inter-toto seriously and should be ready fitness-wise. It could be close but I still expect Hibs to prevail in the end.

Anyway, Bohs have to get there first and Hibs are still fighting for 3rd place and direct UEFA Cup entry.

scottish_bohs
21/04/2008, 8:28 PM
Hibs would be strong favourites if we get there but you never know. I'd love to knock Scottish opposition out of Europe again. Was talking to a barstooler today who was adamant that any scottish team would be much too good for us :rolleyes:

I'd fancy the chances against Hibs. Bring them on!!

AnnaghRed
21/04/2008, 10:07 PM
Elfsborg (Sweden) will be more than a match for the Scottish team esp. as Elfsborg will be match fit whilst the Scots will only be starting pre-season.

Elfsborg only scraped past Linfield last season.

dcfcsteve
21/04/2008, 10:11 PM

Bangor have confirmed Wrexham as the venue for their UEFA Cup games this year, having played them at Rhyl before.

Will be interesting to see if Rhyl also shift, but I'd be curious as to why you think such a big crowd could turn-out for the Rhyl-Bohs game Cymro ? Rhyl have averaged less than 500 all season, yet you're talking about possibly over 10 times as many for a game in an unfashionable European tournament against a relatively unknown/unglamorous team from Ireland ? If the local grudge match against Bangor doesn't even get near to 1,000, why do you think Bohs could attract over 7 times as many ? :confused:

I'd hope/expect Bohs to take 500+ to the game anyway.

BohsPartisan
21/04/2008, 11:01 PM

Apparently we'll only be getting 400 tickets but who knows. Rhyl have had sell out crowds in Europe.

Cymro
22/04/2008, 12:37 PM
Bangor have confirmed Wrexham as the venue for their UEFA Cup games this year, having played them at Rhyl before.

Will be interesting to see if Rhyl also shift, but I'd be curious as to why you think such a big crowd could turn-out for the Rhyl-Bohs game Cymro ? Rhyl have averaged less than 500 all season, yet you're talking about possibly over 10 times as many for a game in an unfashionable European tournament against a relatively unknown/unglamorous team from Ireland ? If the local grudge match against Bangor doesn't even get near to 1,000, why do you think Bohs could attract over 7 times as many ? :confused:

They sold out the 1,800 capacity against MyPa last year (capacity was capped as UEFA games are all-seater). I wouldn't be surprised to see maybe 2,500 Rhyl fans turn up if it's a good first leg result. If the occasion is right, they can take a decent following around.

And Wales isn't particularly far from Ireland, so I'd imagine Bohemians would bring a few over. 5,000 is optimistic but not totally unrealistic.

Do Rhyl fans fancy their chances Cymro ? I can see this being City-Gretna Mark 2, with the Rhyla fans thinking they'll win of the back of Longford's dire performance a few years back.

If anyone wants to take a look at Rhyl, 'Y Clwb Pel-Droed' (weekly Welsh Premier programme) is repeated tonight on S4C at 11:25pm.

Sky Channel 134 in the Republic.

I've had a look on their forum and they seem quietly optimistic, most of them think it is a decent chance to progress but not taking anything for granted. I don't think anyone's really reading much into the Carmarthen vs. Longford game a few years back, but if you offered them a repeat of that I doubt they'd complain!

In any case Bohemians' fans seem a lot more confident. We shall see.

Block G Raptor
22/04/2008, 12:42 PM
5,000 is very unrealistic. we only average about 1,500 for home games. drop a zero off the end of your estimate and you'll be closer to the mark

Rocky77
22/04/2008, 12:47 PM

For the love of God, don't mention the war!!!

BohDiddley
22/04/2008, 3:48 PM
I don't think anyone's really reading much into the Carmarthen vs. Longford game a few years back, but if you offered them a repeat of that I doubt they'd complain!

In any case Bohemians' fans seem a lot more confident. We shall see.

A lot more confident than Longford? No disrespect, but I should hope so! :D

pete
22/04/2008, 4:01 PM
Unless they changed the rules Uefa do not impose all-seater regulation for Inter Toto games.

Cymro
22/04/2008, 10:32 PM
A lot more confident than Longford? No disrespect, but I should hope so! :D

I meant more confident than Rhyl's fans. ;)

TheBoss
23/04/2008, 1:51 PM
Some Good news in future

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/intoeurope/news.asp?n=31935

HarpoJoyce
23/04/2008, 2:11 PM
Some Good news in future

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/intoeurope/news.asp?n=31935

League Cup runners-up should have first refusal on the extra UEFA Cup spot. It would be wasted on the sliding scale Premier Division clubs.