PDA

View Full Version : Snooker World Championship

Pike B
21/04/2008, 8:58 AM
First weekend of the snooker was intresting. My own favourite Mr Hendry, is in a bit of bother against promising Northern Irish lad Mark Allen. John Higgins looks like he may do it again. Also excellent performance by Peter Ebdon. Stephen Lee was hammered by good old Joe Swail. My tip for winner is Mark Selby.
Results so far:
Higgins 10-5 Stevens
Ebdon 10-9 Cope
Carter 10-9 Hawkins
Lee 4-10 Swail
Robertson 10-4 Bond
Day 10-6 Judge
Hendry 10-9 Allen
Davis 8-10 Bingham

gustavo
21/04/2008, 2:54 PM
I'm thinking maybe Selby or Murphy with Robertson as outsider , Of course you couldnt rule out Ronnie if he played any way like he can and theres plenty of former champs in the field who know exactly how to win it

rambler14
21/04/2008, 5:50 PM
I'm going to go for a Neil Robertson and John Higgins final.

Pike B
22/04/2008, 7:35 AM
Scores updated lads:

Higgins 10-5 Stevens
Ebdon 10-9 Cope
Carter 10-9 Hawkins
Lee 4-10 Swail
Robertson 10-4 Bond
Day 10-6 Judge
Hendry 10-9 Allen :D
Davis 8-10 Bingham :(

Pike B
22/04/2008, 7:37 AM
Order of play today:
Ding-Fu
Selby 5-4 King
Williams 8-1 M.Davis
Dott-Perry
Murphy-Harold

Pike B
22/04/2008, 9:06 AM
I'm thinking maybe Selby or Murphy with Robertson as outsider , Of course you couldnt rule out Ronnie if he played any way like he can and theres plenty of former champs in the field who know exactly how to win it
All three in form. Could be the big three for years to come those guys. With maybe Ding aswell.

Pike B
22/04/2008, 9:06 AM
I'm going to go for a Neil Robertson and John Higgins final.
Would be a cracker..

Pike B
23/04/2008, 8:38 AM
Result from last night:
Ding 10-9 Fu.
Such a pity they had to meet so early. Was a cracking match, with some fantastic break building.
Now Ding is off and running he could be very difficult to stop.

Pike B
24/04/2008, 10:46 AM
Doesn't seem to be too many snooker fans on this site lads.. Ah well, I tried.

Torn-Ado
24/04/2008, 12:02 PM
Doherty crashes out in the first round to some unknown Chinese lad. Thats poor.

Pike B
24/04/2008, 12:28 PM
Doherty crashes out in the first round to some unknown Chinese lad. Thats poor.
I'm disgusted.. Ken needs to get his sh.t together..

Dunny
24/04/2008, 12:32 PM
I'm disgusted.. Ken needs to get his sh.t together..

Your disgusted? What a very OTT comment to make ffs as if your any better like cop on:rolleyes:

Pike B
24/04/2008, 12:36 PM
Your disgusted? What a very OTT comment to make ffs as if your any better like cop on:rolleyes:
Hey get stuffed.
I am disgusted for the man himself. And as a fan of his. His form was very poor, which he admitted himself. Don't go shouting the odds with me bud.

rambler14
28/04/2008, 6:17 PM
Best 147 I have ever seen. Ronnie is without a doubt the greatest player to ever play the game.
He should win the World Championship if he continues the form shown so far.
Stephen Maguire vs Ronnie O'Sullivan in the final.

holidaysong
28/04/2008, 9:27 PM
The positional shot he played off the black to open up the red that was stuck to the pink was just fantastic.. A joy to watch!

DmanDmythDledge
28/04/2008, 9:50 PM
With O'Sullivan playing like that I don't think he will be stopped this year.

Have seen very little of the play this year unfortunately. How's this Wenbo fella doing? Beat Joe Swail 13-12 so faces Ronnie in the next round.

Lots of shocks this year- Selby and Doherty going out first round and Higgins and Murphy (who was well beat) in the last round.

Williams, Doherty and Stevens all out of the top 16. Williams and Doherty both coming towards the end of their careers but a few years ago I thought Stevens would be a future champion. Had a great chance in '05 (when I had money on him) but messed up in the final.

rambler14
28/04/2008, 9:52 PM
The positional shot he played off the black to open up the red that was stuck to the pink was just fantastic.. A joy to watch!

Great Shot. Shot of the Championship so far.

Ronnie has now made £471,000 from 147 breaks at the Crucible.

Schumi
28/04/2008, 10:10 PM
Have seen very little of the play this year unfortunately. How's this Wenbo fella doing? Beat Joe Swail 13-12 so faces Ronnie in the next round.That went 13-12? Wow, good comeback from Swail (it was 12-8 the last I saw). Liang Wenbo has looked good from what I've seen of him, although that's not all that much, good long potting and good patience in a few safety exchanges. He only got his first century of the tournament this evening though so his break building may not be top notch.

Dunny
29/04/2008, 1:01 AM
Hey get stuffed.
I am disgusted for the man himself. And as a fan of his. His form was very poor, which he admitted himself. Don't go shouting the odds with me bud.

And what? It happens FFS! Ken is a proven champion and just because he went out early! Thats snooker its unpredictable. And I will shout the odds "bud":rolleyes:

Schumi
29/04/2008, 8:33 AM
Saw the last frame of the Liang - Swail match last night. Incredible drama, I'm just annoyed that the result was ruined for me on here. :mad:;)

ifk101
29/04/2008, 8:56 AM
Saw the last frame of the Liang - Swail match last night. Incredible drama, I'm just annoyed that the result was ruined for me on here. :mad:;)

Yeah great match to watch but Liang made some strange decisions in the last frames that allowed Swail back into the match. Can't see him troubling O'Sullivan if O'Sullivan continues with the form he showed yesterday. But looking forward to watching it.

paul_oshea
29/04/2008, 1:12 PM
hendry had a great opportunity for a 147 in the 4th frame

paul_oshea
29/04/2008, 2:09 PM
you'd think laing would have the manners to learn something as simple as "could you please clean the ball" rather than pointing and staring at the ref. He will lose fans fairly quickly with an attitude like that.

Pike B
29/04/2008, 7:46 PM
Best 147 I have ever seen. Ronnie is without a doubt the greatest player to ever play the game.
He should win the World Championship if he continues the form shown so far.
Stephen Maguire vs Ronnie O'Sullivan in the final.
Stephen Hendry for me..

Pike B
29/04/2008, 7:54 PM
Watched a lot of the action today and it is really getting down to it now. Liang is so unpredictable but has real talent amongst the balls and is very very dangerous. As I write this it's 4-4 between him and Ronnie and could have been 5-3 Liang. His decisions at times are crazy but it makes for great viewing. Perry has done very well against Maguire but Maguire just starting to show the form that got him through his first two games so impressively. Hendry is looking as good as any 7-1 up on Ryan Day and it's 4-4 in the other tight game between Ebdon and Ali Carter. For me the dream semi finals would be Ronnie Maguire, Hendry Ebdon.

Superhoops
29/04/2008, 10:35 PM
Another 147 tonight by Ali Carter against Ebdon. :)

Has cost O'Sullivan £78500 :eek:

Pike B
29/04/2008, 10:40 PM

Ouch...

rambler14
29/04/2008, 10:41 PM

Thats great snooker. I havn't seen any of tonights snooker so i'll have to watch the highlights at 10 past 12.

bennocelt
01/05/2008, 7:46 AM
can someone please tell me what was the controversy with the final frame in the Swail - Lenbo game?

Seen only a bit of the snooker this year
Had higgens and macguire to win it so lost a bit of money. of all the sports i find snooker the hardest to win any money on, which is strange as some professional gamblers would swear by snooker

Schumi
01/05/2008, 8:20 AM
can someone please tell me what was the controversy with the final frame in the Swail - Lenbo game?Was it the last frame where Liang was in an easy snooker but missed and when the balls were relplaced, he could hit the ball directly? I don't remember anything else controversial.

gustavo
01/05/2008, 8:24 AM
can someone please tell me what was the controversy with the final frame in the Swail - Lenbo game?

Had higgens and macguire to win it so lost a bit of money. of all the sports i find snooker the hardest to win any money on, which is strange as some professional gamblers would swear by snooker
Thing is though ,theres very little between the top 16 and any one of them could beat any of the others on any given day which makes it fraught with difficulty , I hope Hendry goes on to win it now be nice to see him do it again after all these years

Superhoops
01/05/2008, 3:31 PM

Swail left Lenbo a long shot on a red which may have been a snooker but which at best only left a small part of the ball showing. Lenbo played it as if it was a snooker but missed and disturbed another ball, think it was pink, and conceeded a foul.

Swail asked for the balls to be replaced and for Lenbo to play again. When Lenbo played the shot he had a lot more red to hit than he had previously had and was able to play the red directly. Because it was such a long way away and was so tight, it appeared that the referee had replaced the balls marginally away from their original position but enough to make it possible for the red to be played directly.

After Lenbo played the shot and was able to hit the ball directly, Swail appeared to query it with the referee but it was too late, he should have checked before Lenbo played that the balls were correctly replaced.

Pike B
01/05/2008, 7:34 PM
Hendry and O' Sullivan was very intresting today. Neither player hitting top form but some excellent tense safety exchanges aswell as a few impressive breaks. 4-4 overnight and should be cracking tomorrow. Come Stephen Hendry.

redtildead
02/05/2008, 11:39 AM
That was the best session of snooker I've ever seen by one player. Very unlikely that Hendry will come back from 12-4, especially the way Ronnies playing. 5 of 8 frames tonight would finish the match off.

Pike B
02/05/2008, 2:54 PM
Ronnie has taken it to a level that not even Hendry at his peak could match. It's just incredible. I've never seen a more impressive session. Unplayable.

DmanDmythDledge
05/05/2008, 3:47 PM
O'Sullivan 15-7 up. Some of his breaking building has been magnifcent, and he hasn't even been at his best.

rambler14
05/05/2008, 8:26 PM
18-8. O'Sullivan won well in the end although Ali Carter is definetley one for the future.

Pike B
06/05/2008, 10:46 AM
Well done Ronnie. If he wasn't so mental he'd rule the game for next ten years.

paul_oshea
06/05/2008, 11:45 AM
Well done Ronnie. If he wasn't so mental he'd rule the game for next ten years.

haha, ya so true, such a raw talent, great to see in a world full of serious professionals.

The frames to make it 12-6 and 13-6 and 14-6 were unreal.

Pike B
06/05/2008, 12:30 PM
haha, ya so true, such a raw talent, great to see in a world full of serious professionals.

The frames to make it 12-6 and 13-6 and 14-6 were unreal.
The man's a genius of the game. He should now go on and become the greatest player of all time, but he'll probably quit or get fed up again. I don't agree with a lot of his carry on, but snooker would be far duller without him.