PDA

View Full Version : Martin Moran resigns as UCD manager

James
27/08/2001, 8:51 PM
just heard the news...Paul Doolin is to take over.

James
27/08/2001, 8:54 PM
ok tracked down a report from inthenet.ie (http://www.inthenet.ie)

Moran quits as UCD manager
by Paul O’Neill

UCD have been rocked by the resignation of boss Martin Moran.
Former UCD player Moran has stepped down after just three games of the new League campaign.
The Students had made a solid start by taking four points from their first two fixtures before last Friday’s 6-0 pasting at reigning champions Bohemians.
It is thought that defeat and the pressure of work commitments led to Moran calling it a day.
Moran has been replaced by Paul Doolin, who joined the club in the close-season as assistant manager.
Doolin’s first game in charge will be the Dublin derby against St Patrick’s Athletic at Belfield Park on Thursday.
Moran played for UCD for over a decade during which time he helped them win the FAI Cup in 1984.
He returned two years ago to take over in the hotseat following the death of Dr Tony O’Neill.
In his first term as boss Moran steered UCD to fourth place in the Premier Division and qualification for the InterToto Cup.
But despite overseeing UCD’s qualification for the League Cup final last season, they struggled in the League and only survived the drop by winning a penalty shoot-out at the end of a play-off with Athlone Town.

Schumi
28/08/2001, 9:24 AM
The only surprise about this is the timing. I think everyone expected it within a year but I'm surprised it happened now. He says that it was because he couldn't devote enough time to the club because of work (the same reason that a full-time coach was hired). Why he only realised after three games that he couldn't keep up his current level of involvement I don't know but the Dalymount hammering probably didn't help.