PDA

View Full Version : Bohemians through

tiktok
23/07/2003, 9:40 PM
congratulations to bohemians who did Ireland and the eircom league proud tonight with a well deserved 3-0 win (3-1 on aggregate) over BATE. outstanding lads,

Bohemians 3 - 0 Bate Borisov
Stephen Caffrey
Bobby Ryan
Glen Crowe

listened to it live on newstalk106 and it sounds like a great crowd turned out to watch a great game, good luck against Rosenborg next week and let's hope that the same numbers show up to cheer you on (hopefully to another home win).

Plastic Paddy
23/07/2003, 9:44 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
congratulations to bohemians who did the league proud tonight with a 3-0 (3-1 on aggregate) win over BATE. outstanding lads,

good luck against Rosenborg next week.

Well done Bohs. A far harder task next week, but you never know... :)

:D PP

techs
23/07/2003, 9:56 PM
well done bohs, you've done ireland proud. lets hope you get even further

Maz
23/07/2003, 10:16 PM
Yeah fair play to bohs its a great achievement

Estar
23/07/2003, 11:49 PM
Very enjoyable match, great crowd. Bohs fans never stopped signing. All the big names played well. Crowe really impressed me.What were the Belrussian( all 20 of them) chanting, sligo!!???

Not bad beating a country of 16 million people, with a team full of internationals where soccer is the number one sport.

The happiest person in Dalymount is the person who found my wallet with €300 (Rent money, don't usually pack that much) in it.

I'II be back on the 30th for my wallet:(

How about getting some ball boys this this time bohs, might save yer keeper getting booked.

Colm
23/07/2003, 11:54 PM
Fair play to Bohs, great result and a good boost for the league. Did BATE pose much of a challenge tonight? What kind of crowd and atmosphere was there?

Best of luck against Rosenburg.

yur man
24/07/2003, 12:00 AM
well done bohs and fair play to newstalk for broadcastin it live

crowd sounded great

Éanna
24/07/2003, 12:07 AM
was at work but listened to a lot of the game on rte medium wave coverage. sounds like bohs fully deserved it. well done!

Estar
24/07/2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Colm
Fair play to Bohs, great result and a good boost for the league. Did BATE pose much of a challenge tonight? What kind of crowd and atmosphere was there?

Best of luck against Rosenburg.

Ba-tea packed defence and looked to get bohs on the break. Strypeikis went close on 3 efforts. Shmihera had a good game but they took him off. When they went 3 down they gave up. Bohs forwards were excellent. Hunt was at the centre of every thing good. I don't think bate knew what hit them. I even think Bohs can move up another gear.

Fans were great booed every touch bate they had in the first 15mins. Nearly full house, it will be sellout next match.

A big factor they played with the wind in the first half I think.

tiktok
24/07/2003, 1:05 AM
:( bad luck on the wallet Estar.

Was just watching Sky Sports News and they had a pretty good interview (over the phone) with Kevin Hunt, spent a few minutes talking to him, he complimented the opposition and fans. When asked about Rosenborg he said the pressure was off now, they would be underdogs but that the manager was 'meticulous' and they'd be looking forward to causing an upset against a team that aren't 'as good as they were three or four years ago when they got to the group stages'.

great to see the interest a win like this can genmerate for the league

Barry town and Glentoran both went out tonight btw.

bert
24/07/2003, 1:14 AM
Yeah I know it's obvious, but I wanted to get there first. Well done, lets hope ye can pull something off:D (sorry again) against Rosenberg

tiktok
24/07/2003, 5:33 AM
from www.unison.ie

Brilliant Bohs take BATE to land trip to Rosenborg

BOHEMIANS 3 BATE BORISOV 0
(Bohs win 3-1 on aggregate)

BRILLIANT Bohs blasted BATE Borisov out of the Champions' League last night to set up a mouth-watering second round tie against Norwegian giants Rosenborg.

BATE have spent the last few weeks since the draw was made preparing to host Rosenborg in Minsk but they left Dalymount Park with red faces after a humiliating exit from the competition.

Stephen Kenny's side have been dreaming of the Champions' League since the moment they lifted the league title in Tolka Park last January so it was no surprise that they saved their best performance of the season until last night.

Goals from Stephen Caffrey, Bobby Ryan and Glen Crowe allowed them to overturn a 1-0 deficit from the first leg and produce one of the best results in years by an Irish side in Europe.

The scoreline was no more than Bohs deserved because throughout the 90 minutes they dominated this game and while BATE were technically pleasing to watch, they lacked Bohs' penetration.

With Colin Hawkins declared fit, the home side were at full strength but Stephen Kenny still produced a surprise when he announced his team by bringing Seamus Kelly back in goal in place of Matt Gregg.

Roared on by a crowd in excess of 6,000 Bohs tore into BATE from the start and within two minutes had forced two corners, while Robbie Doyle had forced Zhaunou into a full-length save from a free-kick.

Doyle and Crowe were quite a handful for the BATE defence, while down the right flank, Bobby Ryan and Damien Lynch were causing plenty of problems.

Skipper Kevin Hunt was magnificent in midfield. Cool under pressure, his simple passing and telling tackles always kept Bohs on top. BATE, though, looked dangerous on the counter-attack and it took timely blocks from Damien Lynch and Colin Hawkins to deny Strypeikis and Shmihera as they bore down on goal inside the opening half hour.

The breakthrough came after 37 minutes from a throw-in down the right by Damien Lynch. Bobby Ryan flicked the ball over his head and into the path of Stephen Caffrey who took one touch before firing a low drive between Zhaunou and the near post.

The chants of 'Are You Watching Rosenborg?' were certainly premature but by the stroke of half-time they were gaining in relevance as Bohs took control of the tie with a superb second goal.

Crowe released Doyle down the left and the 21-year-old cut down the byline before drilling the ball across the face of goal for Ryan to bury it in the roof of the net from six yards.

BATE still needed only to score a goal to go through on away goals so they were a lot more positive after the break but they never troubled Kelly. Their task was made even harder on 58 minutes when Bohemians got the all-important third goal.

Glen Crowe's header sent Mark Rutherford away down the left and the international striker then quickly peeled away to the back post where he met the subsequent cross with a stunning volley.

BATE threw caution to the wind after that but Hawkins and Thomas Heary in the centre of the home defence were remarkably solid and composure under the Belarus barrage.

And goalkeeper Kelly took his chance to reclaim his place with an assured performance that included some telling punches in the final heart-stopping minutes.

Bohs could have extended the margin of their victory when Crowe fired just past the far post and Doyle headed inches over and had another effort saved by Zhaunou.

In the dying minutes, substitute Fergal Harkin saw his effort cleared off the line by Baha but once they kept a clean sheet at the other end it didn't matter and there were scenes of unbridled joy at the final whistle.

Bohs boss Stephen Kenny has always declared that his ambition is to turn his team into an Irish Rosenborg by qualifying for the group stages of the Champions' League.

Over the next two weeks he is going to see at first hand how his side compare to the Norwegians and if they can produce this sort of performance in next Wednesday's home leg then who knows what might happen?

BOHEMIANS - Kelly; Lynch, Heary, Hawkins, Webb; Ryan (Harkin 73), Hunt, Caffrey, Rutherford (Morrison 89); R Doyle, Crowe (Pereplyotkin 90). Booked: Hunt (34), Kelly (55).

BATE BORISOV - Zhaunou; Baha, Mardas, Klimovich; Shmihera (Kobets 61), Shkabara (Rubnenka 69), Tarasepka, Likhtaarovich, Lashankou; Chumachenko (Shchahrykovich 79), Strypeikis. Booked: Klimovick (22), Zhaunou (35).

ian
24/07/2003, 7:52 AM
Well done the bohs good on ya.

d13bohs
24/07/2003, 8:53 AM
STILL ****ING DRUNK (HENCE THE CAPITAL LETTERS!:p )

FAIR PLAY TO ALL WHO CAME TO CHEER US ON, FAIR PLAY EVEN TO THE ROVERS WHO WERE CHEERING FOR BATE, I KNOW I COULD NEVER CHEER FOR ROVERS SO I DON'T BLAME YOU, AT LEAST IT GAVE THE GAME AN ATMOSPHERE

WE'RE THROUGH TO THE NEXT ROUND
:D :D :D

Foot.ie Message
You have included too many images in your signature or in your previous post. Please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

Schumi
24/07/2003, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
from www.unison.ie
The chants of 'Are You Watching Rosenborg?' I think that might have been 'Are You Watching Homeless Scum?' possibly. :D

Bohs were excellent last night. They were on top from the kick off and fully deserved the 3-0 win. Judas Doyle and Kevin Hunt caused them huge problems for the whole match and the whole team looked a class above the Belarussians, don't know how they lost the first leg really. I think they'll have a chance against Rosenborg as well.

The crowd was very good, it was nearly full, you'll need to buy tickets in advance for the Rosenborg match I'd say. There was some space on the Connacht side (where I was) but the Jodi looked full with people in the aisles at the shed end of the stand. Difficult to tell with the shed as there were a lot of people standing at the back.

The booking for Kelly was the wierdest booking I've ever seen. A Borisov player shot well over at the derelict end and the ball was bouncing around the terracing there with the stewards doing fúck all to get it back. Kelly couldn't reach over the advertising hoardings to get it back and the ref booked him for time wasting!

The other thing that was interesting was the couple of guys behind me going on about how this was so much better than their recent trip to Old Trafford. Apparently the view, the atmosphere and the football were so much better in Dalymount. :cool:

pineapple stu
24/07/2003, 5:49 PM
Really annoyed I couldn't make it now - although coming home party for a friend with loads of people I hadn't seen in months had to just about take preference...

By all accounts Bohs dominated and went through very easily - would fancy their chances of an upset against Rosenborg. Shels showed their weaknesses three years ago - had them under the cosh for a good half hour in the first leg after giving away two silly early goals, and conceded a late equaliser in the away leg. Definitely be looking for my ticket for the home leg though.

With Derry getting a new manager as well, this could be a very decent Euro campaign - could get well up the UEFA ladder as well (Bohs' win regained the place we'd dropped last week - back in 39th again, with Belarus about 0.080 points ahead...)

SÓC
24/07/2003, 6:04 PM
I was standing in the Shed behind the goal, didnt think standing was allowed for Euro games.

Fair play to the Bohs fans, they put on a good show. On the pitch Bohs made Bate look like a first division side. Hunt is the best player in the league. Glen Crowe actually does a lot of work that I hadnt noticed before, still prefere JO'F in my team:)

d13bohs
26/07/2003, 12:59 PM
Yeah, Glen worked harder in the Batty game then I've seen him work in a long time, fair play to him, even Shay Kelly played well, Hawkins was unbelievable despite playing in severe pain for most of the match, we have a chance of beating Rosenborg if they underestimate us, if we got through we would play Deportivo which would be amazing though unfortunately we would lose Kevin Hunt cos Depor would put in a huge bid for him, getting a bit carried away here but **** it, I'm entitled to enjoy myself after wednesday. The celebrations have only finally stopped today!