PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Kenna - Galways new manager

Razors left peg
20/04/2008, 1:02 PM
Jeff Kenna is new Galway United manager

A face
20/04/2008, 1:15 PM
This guy? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Kenna)

Like Shoddy Collins, he also has a brother who was a boxer. Take from that what you will :p

Nah seriously, he looks like he has a good bit of experience. He is 38 now and had still been playing up until recently. Has he got any UEFA Badges i wonder.

sligoman
20/04/2008, 1:17 PM
Aye. So much for experience, if true.

A face
20/04/2008, 1:21 PM
He spent long stints at Southampton and Blackburn Rovers, so he would definitely add a good bit to Galway having been exposed to their setups. Its just the experience that i'd be worried about. He is a defender though so hopefully would sort out Galways defence soon enough.

Razors left peg
20/04/2008, 1:22 PM
Aye. So much for experience, if true.

Definately true, press conference on monday

kingdomkerry
20/04/2008, 1:37 PM
Stan 2?

Conor H
20/04/2008, 1:57 PM
This was the Criteria....

For Kenna...

UEFA PRO or A licence Doubt it..
Knowledge of the game in Ireland with a network within the soccer community Unlikely
A record of success and a winning attitude (high work commitment, champions change, manages self) Yes.
Proven tactical know-how
Competency to lead , manage and motivate others No.
Excellent Collaborating and Communication skills Nobody at GUFC knows
Prior experience in managing professional players No
Good Financial, Administration and Computer skills ?
Committed to living in Galway Woopdy do..

Huge gamble if true.There's a perfectly good candidate with a proven track record in Sean Connor who wants the job.We're bottom with 1 point with the future of GUFC in the balance and we are poised to hire a rookie!?
Did we not learn from TC?

gufct
20/04/2008, 2:06 PM
I knew this last Thursday from sources outside the club but it was strongly denied at the final club management committe meeting (which has been disbanded along with the finance commitee and general board) .

The amount of spinning and BULL**** we have all been fed since the 1st April has made us the laughing stock of the league.The 5 year plan is shredded lads all thats left is the central wheel spinning but going nowhere.

A face
20/04/2008, 2:18 PM
This was the Criteria....

For Kenna...

UEFA PRO or A licence Doubt it..
Knowledge of the game in Ireland with a network within the soccer community Unlikely
A record of success and a winning attitude (high work commitment, champions change, manages self) Yes.
Proven tactical know-how
Competency to lead , manage and motivate others No.
Excellent Collaborating and Communication skills Nobody at GUFC knows
Prior experience in managing professional players No
Committed to living in Galway Woopdy do..

Huge gamble if true.There's a perfectly good candidate with a proven track record in Sean Connor who wants the job.We're bottom with 1 point with the future of GUFC in the balance and we are poised to hire a rookie!?
Did we not learn from TC?

UEFA PRO or A licence Doubt it.. -> Why the doubt, he either has or hasn't. Why would you doubt it?
Knowledge of the game in Ireland with a network within the soccer community Unlikely -> How do you know? Seriously, answer that one.
A record of success and a winning attitude (high work commitment, champions change, manages self) Yes. -> Definitely
Proven tactical know-how He must have some know-how, he has held the captaincy at most clubs he has been at, thats got to indicate something.
Competency to lead , manage and motivate others No -> Captaincy? How in gods name can you say no?
Excellent Collaborating and Communication skills Nobody at GUFC knows -> When was he signed and when was it announced? What did you actually expect to deem him of having those skills? Quantify it, tell us exactly what you wanted to see happen.
Prior experience in managing professional players No -> How do you know this? Would you not think that out of any of the playing staff, the captain is most likely to have helped manage to some degree
Committed to living in Galway Woopdy do. -> The single biggest reason that Cousins is gone and you say woopdy do? How in gods name can you dismiss that. The guy has been in England how many years and he ups sticks and moves to Galway, about three times the journey Cousin had to make from Dublin and you just right it off?????

geezer
20/04/2008, 3:20 PM
is required at this stage as player,fans, directors are at each others throats.
despite the "Gamble" I hope they announce this asap and get thinking about the next match. I wish Jeff Kenna all the best

gufct
20/04/2008, 3:31 PM
Same here Geezer I have never seen relations at the club at such a low.Good luck to Jeff you should have been appointed 3 weeks ago but thats not your fault. If you give as much as you did as a player we will be ok.

Redkenrover
20/04/2008, 3:39 PM
Jeff Kenna is new Galway United manager

Just heard that Sean Connor is supposed to have it.:confused:

dublinwanderer
20/04/2008, 3:40 PM
will the new manager be in place for fridays game? we have a good record against teams with new managers!!

Razors left peg
20/04/2008, 4:42 PM

Kenna definately will be confirmed at 12 o clock press conference tomorrow. He was in Terryland today

gloryglorygufc
20/04/2008, 4:51 PM
Best of luck to Jeff. His main challenge to start with is to keep the belief and confidence of the players up. Hopefully we'll get the new manager "bounce" on friday.

A face
20/04/2008, 5:11 PM

Where is your source?

Are you a Sligo Rovers fan?

Redkenrover
20/04/2008, 5:26 PM
Where is your source?

Are you a Sligo Rovers fan?

Yep, but heard it from a Terryland source.
In fairness Sean was always full of sh#'e when he was with Sligo but there is no doubt he would sort alot of things out for ye and steady the ship, but it looks like McKenna is going to get it from post above. Especially if he was in Terryland today.

WoodquayBoy
20/04/2008, 5:56 PM
Spoke to one of the lads who was speaking to Connor in Sligo last night. Yes he applied for the job, but the club never contacted him, he didn't have an interview, and won't be the manager.
Who is this RLP who seems to know everything? No mention on club site about a press conference.
If it is true, the board have some explaining to do. They appoint a rookie, give him the bullet and appoint a rookie. Are they stupid and ignorant of previous mistakes, or ridiculously optimistic that Kenna, who fell from top flight grace very quickly, is th best man for the job

theworm2345
20/04/2008, 6:07 PM
Was playing at Kidderminster in the Conference, as far as I know up until yesterday. You could very well be looking at another Stan. Wouldn't be a bad player-manager

looping
20/04/2008, 6:25 PM
Was playing at Kidderminster in the Conference, as far as I know up until yesterday. You could very well be looking at another Stan. Wouldn't be a bad player-manager

i know loads of people here think is a total rookie but at least i think the fact is not a local manager well known around the place is an advantage because he ll be respected by players and may be add fresh ideas different tactical or way of play and the way it s going at the moment i don t think it can be worse

Tir Oilean
20/04/2008, 6:36 PM
Best of Luck to Jeff He will get my support 100%. I hust hope the boo boys dont start booin next Friday night if we dont win. We could ve got something last night except for the collapse of the defence where Kenna plied he's trade. Razor who is he bringing in as asst manager etc?

Razors left peg
20/04/2008, 6:56 PM
Best of Luck to Jeff He will get my support 100%. I hust hope the boo boys dont start booin next Friday night if we dont win. We could ve got something last night except for the collapse of the defence where Kenna plied he's trade. Razor who is he bringing in as asst manager etc?
Havent heard who his assistants are

Nathan
20/04/2008, 7:00 PM
Sean Connors was at the match last night taking notes?

Paddyfield
20/04/2008, 7:21 PM

Well said Tir. If you are reading this Jeff, welcome to Galway United. I wish you all the best in the world and I trust that you are confident in getting us up four places on the League Table.

And a run in the FAI Cup too.

A face
20/04/2008, 7:26 PM
Just looking around forums of his other clubs and it seems he is a sound bloke but has a very no nonsense attitude.

superfrank
20/04/2008, 7:34 PM
I wish the best of luck to Jeff. I know his nephew and he sounds like a devoted, determined chap. AFAIK, he's being doing a bit of coaching for the last few years so he's not a complete amateur.

Paddyfield
20/04/2008, 7:37 PM
i know loads of people here think is a total rookie but at least i think the fact is not a local manager well known around the place is an advantage because he ll be respected by players and may be add fresh ideas different tactical or way of play and the way it s going at the moment i don t think it can be worse

At least kenna won't bring a lot of baggage like say Pat Dolan or enemies like Sean Connor or spin like Roddy Collins. Hang on, did I just mix them up with each other?

wonder88
20/04/2008, 8:58 PM
A good appointment imo. Was a no nosense defender, reliable always gave 100%, just what we need now. Played at the highest level and hopefully will point out to some of our stars whats required of full-time professionals. After the debacle last night, allready looking forward to friday night.

Tir Oilean
20/04/2008, 9:07 PM
but has a very no nonsense attitude.

No buts about that, its exactly what is wanted in our club right now!

Martinho II
20/04/2008, 9:28 PM
seems like a bit of a strange appointment.. this is a major gamble from nick leeson and co.. still think galway will go down.. wouldnt it be awful ironic if galway go down and dundalk go up??

Paddyfield
20/04/2008, 9:31 PM
seems like a bit of a strange appointment.. this is a major gamble from nick leeson and co.. still think galway will go down.. wouldnt it be awful ironic if galway go down and dundalk go up??

Maxi would be delighted.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=1jEJLy34RBQ

Claret Murph
21/04/2008, 6:41 AM
`Well they have gone for a rookie again , woo hoo is about all i can muster to be honest .

Now you can benchmark this if you want be we will be playing 1st division football next season ........................:(:(:(

drummerboy
21/04/2008, 9:37 AM
I remember seeing an interview with him a couple of years ago. He said then that when he was finished playing he was going to retire to Spain, where he had some property and concentrate on his golf. Surprised by this turnaround.

gufct
21/04/2008, 9:52 AM
He is live on gbfm after 11 news.

eamo1
21/04/2008, 11:21 AM
GUFCT,do you mind giving a summary of what he said on GBFM awhile ago?I missed it.Sound.

Sheridan
21/04/2008, 1:17 PM
"I saw a DVD of recent games and I saw some decent performances"
Too easy...

Schumi
21/04/2008, 1:35 PM
Too easy...

Didn't specify that they were Galway performances he was talking about.

Tir Oilean
21/04/2008, 2:23 PM
Glad to see Billy installed as asst manager. He had us playing well during his few games in charge albeit to be let down defensively.

Maroon 7
21/04/2008, 2:49 PM
Didn't specify that they were Galway performances he was talking about.

In fairness some of the actual performances haven't been that bad. Just let down by individual blunders in defence. A case in point the Cork game which United lost 3-1 yet actually probably played more football than Cork did only for our keeper to gift them their first two goals. Same with the Bohs game on the first day.

There is something there to work with but until United stop conceding soft goals and make themselves difficult to beat they won't start to climb the table.

MyTown
21/04/2008, 3:23 PM
RTE are reporting that Jeff Kenna will appear on MNS tonight at 8pm.

Best of luck Jeff. Hope it all goes well for you.

finnpark
21/04/2008, 3:46 PM
Great news for us. Thats you down for sure. What a rediculous appointment :D

Redie
21/04/2008, 3:49 PM
It has been confirmed that Kenna has been given the job

finnpark
21/04/2008, 3:59 PM
3 year deal :eek:

Boo_Boy
21/04/2008, 4:03 PM
Cant believe he's signed a 3 year deal:eek:

Seriously tho i wish him and galway the best of luck for the rest of the season and the future.