PDA

View Full Version : Ticket sales problems

sligofan4ever
20/04/2008, 10:19 AM
I read in the weekender that theres a financial crisis for tickets im surpried ive been to every home game(except Cobh Ramblers game) and the attendance's were good is there any we can attract bigger crowds t the showgies this season ?

Redkenrover
20/04/2008, 11:15 AM
Ya seems to be a major concern for the MC at the mo.
Mabye I'm a pessimist (or a realist), but despite the great efforts of people in promoting matches by putting up posters etc., I dont think we can expect 3000 people in the showgrounds for home fixtures. It seems to be a problem for alot of clubs and I think we cant rely on crowd attendances to support the club financially.
You will always have the die hard fans who would go to the moon to watch the rovers play but you will only get the fairweather fans for cup semi's and the like.
I hope something comes from the recent SSSC meeting as this could be a new avenue of supporter to attract, also north Mayo could be another target.
Anyone know the results of the survey taken before a home game last year where supporters were asked in what county they lived, also any word on the fan base from the text alert service.
fantastic service by the way.

sligofan4ever
20/04/2008, 11:19 AM
What I had in mind was maybe after the Liverpool ledgends match maybe get the Sligo Rovers ledgends and pitch them, against todays team it would be a fun we match to see the fit young players have a match against the former heroes of srfc

Red&White Rover
20/04/2008, 11:36 AM
This is the game that is perfect for another "Become a player for a day" Competition.

Once in a lifetime oppurtunity, playing with Legends...

We'd make a fair bit...

sligofan4ever
20/04/2008, 11:54 AM
We could even have the B'ORST vs Sligo Rovers or even B'ORST vs Sligo Rovers ledgends that might get a bit of money you know encourage people to come for the sake of the club and all

clubman
20/04/2008, 3:05 PM
I have followed the Rovers for a long time - too long I sometimes feel. When times are good and let's face it that's not too often, it's a grand auld team to support. But every now and then the auld financial crisis cry goes up. So when I read the chairman's comments in the Sligo Champion I couldn't prevent a wry smile appearing on my face. The chairman had a rant at the general public for not getting behind the club and bla, bla, bla. Sadly I've heard it all before but what can be done to chase the wolf from the door?
Last night I spoke with a prominent businessman and like all Rovers supporters he too is very concerned regarding the future. The sum that's being bantied about regarding the weekly wage is very close to the actual sum involved. As I said at the out-set I've supporters Rovers a long time and one thing I've learned in all that time is the club will never operate on gate receipts alone. Yea appeal to the public to attend games in numbers but there's no point in the chairman going public with a gung hoo aproach - support us or else. Support is something which is earned. People will only support something if and when they want to. All clubs face the same problems week in week out. The strongest assit Sligo Rovers have is it's title. The name has to be marketed. Sell the product off the pitch and the prodoct on the pitch will benifit. Rovers don't do the marketing side of things too well. It's all very well being professional on the park but if the club is not professional off the pitch then we might as well give up. Last night was no different to any other night at the Showgrounds so I spent a little time to study the off field side of the club. From the time I took my seat and the public address system boomed into my ear drums I was reminded how unprofessional we are as a club. The highest office of the club - The Chair - and the man holds the position is doing the public announcements. To me this is an insult to the position. Being professional off the pitch this is not! As I sat in my seat I'm thinking it's the little things that matter, get them right and the professionalism will come second nature.
In order to run we have first to walk, in Rovers case we haven't even started to crawl yet.

Boo_Boy
20/04/2008, 3:12 PM
I have followed the Rovers for a long time - too long I sometimes feel. When times are good and let's face it that's not too often, it's a grand auld team to support. But every now and then the auld financial crisis cry goes up. So when I read the chairman's comments in the Sligo Champion I couldn't prevent a wry smile appearing on my face. The chairman had a rant at the general public for not getting behind the club and bla, bla, bla. Sadly I've heard it all before but what can be done to chase the wolf from the door?

totally agree with you on this clubman, the way i see it is nobody is paying attention when rovers come out and talk about financial trouble etc. because they have been saying this for years but the club is still up and running...

Redkenrover
20/04/2008, 3:32 PM
From the time I took my seat and the public address system boomed into my ear drums I was reminded how unprofessional we are as a club. The highest office of the club - The Chair - and the man holds the position is doing the public announcements. To me this is an insult to the position. Being professional off the pitch this is not! As I sat in my seat I'm thinking it's the little things that matter, get them right and the professionalism will come second nature.
In order to run we have first to walk, in Rovers case we haven't even started to crawl yet.[/quote]

Agree 100% What happened to the stadium announcer that was at the Bohs match. (I missed the Cobh game). Whatever about the on field problems our opponents last night are suffering, their off field approach on match day is professional.
In todays society its all about making the matchday experience something special to try and get the punters in the gate, there are so many distractions and reason for not attending, it is the little things that will make it all the more appealing.

gustavo
20/04/2008, 6:19 PM
This is the game that is perfect for another "Become a player for a day" Competition.

Once in a lifetime oppurtunity, playing with Legends...

We'd make a fair bit...
http://www.sligorovers.com/content/view/525/1/

Red&White Rover
20/04/2008, 6:30 PM
Super....We could be charging more i Reckon though...

Good idea all the same.

red_away
21/04/2008, 7:21 AM
"From the time I took my seat and the public address system boomed into my ear drums I was reminded how unprofessional we are as a club. The highest office of the club - The Chair - and the man holds the position is doing the public announcements. To me this is an insult to the position."

Your lucky .....i can never understand anything being said on the PA system - the PA is an embarrassment by itself!!!

As for Toolan, he is probably trying his best but his droning voice is not suited to the job of announced, you need a higher pitched voice and definitely more upbeat!!!

akearins
21/04/2008, 9:30 AM
Well said club man, couldn't agree more.We have heard this all before and it seems to fall on deaf ears every time.Supporeters understand where the chairman is coming from but these scare tactics will not work, if anything it will actually have the opposite effect,can't imagine sponsors being too happy if they think their contributions are having little financial impact at the club,a and fans are simply thinking here we go again "put the needle on the record"

As bad as it may seem we are actually quite ok in relation to other LOI clubs who are MILLIONS in debt and still paying astronomical wages.For this we need to realsie what a fantastic squad Paul Cooke has put together on such a small budget and the fact he has operated within this tight budget.

Now what needs to be done if the club is constantly asking for more support is recognise the grographics of our fan base.We (supporters and club together) need to conduct some sort of survey at match nights, on line, local papers whatever means possible of gathering as much information of;

1. Where fans are coming from - recognise areas where large populations habitat (census reports)that may have small numbers attending the games and target these areas to run promotions, open meetings etc. to promote the club.If possible in conjunction with local football clubs.

2.Recognise if any transport problems to attending games -can be a problem when living outside town.If such problem exist at an open meeting either try and arrange car poolong or assit in running buses to matches.Any bus cost occured may be offset against ticket prices.
This is something that needs to be done accross the league i.e. concessions on DART for dublin games,Irish Rail etc..

These are simple areas that can be addressed but needs to be done properly not half arsed like the last survey and results produced to fans.

3.Business promotions - We get 1500 - 2000 per home game each forthnight in one area.Surely we can sell this to local business to allow them promote their companies on match night in form of handing out promotional fliers,discount vouchers etc..

Also the club needs to stop with all the negativity and start letting fans know of the positives, believe me there are a few.........

Just an idea that I would be willing to help with

Fivesilver
21/04/2008, 6:21 PM
you need a higher pitched voice

So could we solve this whole conundrum by clubbing together to buy Toolan some tighter underwear?:eek:

Guts&Glory
21/04/2008, 9:33 PM
How many under age teams are there in Sligo ?

From under 8's to under 18s there must be a good say 40. With each team havinga a panel of say 14 on average 700 Kids.

How many Junior football teams are there in Sligo ?

Say another 40 with the four leagues by another 14 players per panel thats say another 700 people.

If you look then look at the Night Owls and Leisure Leagues there is another bunch of possible match going lads there.

Has anyone canvassed any of these teams?

Offered them a deal into a match ?

I know Rovers have again kicked on with inviting the schoolboy teams to Games such as Strand last week which is welcomed but there is scope for more.

At Bohs games its one adult plus one kid for €15 and the child gets a goody bag spponsored by local companies eg nothing too expensive, a Drink, Crisps, Bohs match programme, sticker and scarf but also in the bag is the flyers for the local companies with discount coupons and the like.

It doesnt have to be done at every game but on designated nights when attendences might otheriose be in difficulty.

It has always puzzled me why the majority of the people involved in the local leagues do not attend Rovers matches at all or on a very infrequent basis ?

But has anyone asked those very people why that is so?

I know some just have no interest in Rovers, family commitments etc. but surely there is some people we can convince a Saturday night in the Showgies is a good place to be.

There is plenty of opportunities and possibilities out there rather than being so negative all the time.

Redkenrover
21/04/2008, 10:01 PM
Now what needs to be done if the club is constantly asking for more support is recognise the grographics of our fan base.We (supporters and club together) need to conduct some sort of survey at match nights, on line, local papers whatever means possible of gathering as much information of;

1. Where fans are coming from - recognise areas where large populations habitat (census reports)that may have small numbers attending the games and target these areas to run promotions, open meetings etc. to promote the club.If possible in conjunction with local football clubs.

This was done before a home match last season but I never saw any results anywhere. Anyone hear anything on it?

Kivlehan
22/04/2008, 12:57 AM
Clubman is spot on about people needing to be won over. You can threaten someone into being interested. I posted a bunch of ideas on here last year. One thing that stood out to me when following the Galway match via livescore.com was that it appeared to start at 8PM Irish Time (I'm in the USA and follow scores, news, etc via the Internet). How are families supposed to attend a match if it starts at 8PM? Are the parents supposed to take children home for bed at half-time?

My main recommendation last year was that Sligo Rovers and the League of Ireland should look to how Minor League Baseball succeeds in the United States. For those not familiar with that case, Minor League Baseball is a thriving industry despite the presence of Major League Baseball near many of the towns Minor League ball is played in. This is because they provide a more convenient, family friendly, fun environment at a lower price point than the Majors. The Majors still outdraw the Minor League average attendance by a lot, but the Minors have carved out a very nice niche and are making more money than ever. It is a perfect case study for the League of Ireland clubs to follow versus competing with the English and Scottish leagues.

Good article on the subject:
http://www.recmanagement.com/200203fe04.php

Main points:

The minor leagues have made some major discoveries about appealing to the needs and interests of the American family.

1. Money matters. Keeping the total cost of a family outing low and the perceived value high is an instant hit.

2. Safe and kid-enticing surroundings. Parents want to pursue their own interests and will feel secure knowing their kids are safe, within view, and having a good time of their own.

3. Comfort and convenience. Facilities that are comfortable and offer the little extras of family-friendly convenience go a long way to making a family feel welcome and willing to come back.

4. Education and community. Offering educational incentives to involve youngsters in your facility (reading programs, school-sponsored field trips, art contests) can go a long away.

5. Food. For those businesses offering food and drinks, include kid favorites packaged in creative ways.

sligoman
22/04/2008, 3:54 PM
How are families supposed to attend a match if it starts at 8PM? Are the parents supposed to take children home for bed at half-time?Kids don't go to bed at 8:45pm on a Saturday night over here.