PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Reid to Blackburn

tiktok
22/07/2003, 5:36 PM
news from www.unison.ie

Graeme Souness has made a successful bid for Irish midfielder Steven Reid. The player was recommended to Rovers by the departed Damien Duff .The player will open talks with Rovers when they return from their US Tour. The fee is likely to be around €8 million.

:) another irish midfielder getting premiership football, had to be good for the national side.

Éanna
22/07/2003, 5:49 PM
weren't all the celtic fans accusing souness of being anti-irish a while back...............

Slash/ED
22/07/2003, 6:02 PM
Premiership and UEFA cup, if this comes off he should be our first choice right winger imo.

NigeSausagepump
23/07/2003, 7:45 AM
Interesting to see where he plays him.

Emerton is an out and out right winger, so he may be looking at Reid to fill one of the central midfield berths.

Wouldn't envy him if he was bought as a direct replacement for Duffer.

brine2
23/07/2003, 10:55 AM
Emerton is a right-back.

colster
23/07/2003, 11:10 AM
Isn't David Thompson a right winger.
I reckon they'll play him on the left. I think he is actually naturally left footed.
They're also in for Reyna so I doubt if they will play him in central midfield as they already have Tugay and Flitcroft there.

John83
23/07/2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by brine2
Emerton is a right-back.

Emerton is a right-wing-back. And he's played on the right wing for Feyenoord for god only know how long.

Thomson is a decent right-winger, but I think he's going to be pushed out by Emerton.

Reid is likely being bought as a replacement for Duff on the left.

I've felt that he should have been our first choice on the right for some time. I may be vindicated fairly soon.

Incidentally, does this make him the third most expensive Irishman ever?

NigeSausagepump
23/07/2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by John83

Incidentally, does this make him the third most expensive Irishman ever?

No.

Keane went to Utd for over £3m, as did Finnan to Pool. Think Babb went to Pool for more than £3m too. I'm sure there are more.

John83
23/07/2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
No.

Keane went to Utd for over £3m, as did Finnan to Pool. Think Babb went to Pool for more than £3m too. I'm sure there are more.

Yeah, but the talk is that it's €8m, which is over Stg£5m. You're right about Finnan though - he cost Liverpool Stg£6m.

Seamus #1
23/07/2003, 1:13 PM
Originally posted by John83
Yeah, but the talk is that it's €8m, which is over Stg£5m. You're right about Finnan though - he cost Liverpool Stg£6m.

If memory serves me correctly...

Keane to Man U £3.75 in about 93 (british record for the time).

Babb to liverpool from coverntry £3.75m
McAteer to liverpool from Bolton £4m

Finnan to Liverpool £4m

(all sterling)

NigeSausagepump
23/07/2003, 2:09 PM
Originally posted by Seamus #1

Keane to Man U £3.75 in about 93 (british record for the time).

Hate to be pedantic (except when it comes to King Roy), but Keane's transfer to Man U was never a British record. It was an English record for a while, but a few days before it Duncan Ferguson went to Rangers for £4m.

I'm available for all pub quizzes for a small fee.

Seamus #1
23/07/2003, 3:30 PM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
Hate to be pedantic (except when it comes to King Roy), but Keane's transfer to Man U was never a British record. It was an English record for a while, but a few days before it Duncan Ferguson went to Rangers for £4m.

I'm available for all pub quizzes for a small fee.

I was probably being pedantic myself so fair enough.

P.S. - you forgot to put 'stg' before the £4m. :D :D

tiktok
23/07/2003, 5:52 PM
i might be wrong, but hasn't robbie keane moved for more money at least twice;)

think it was 6 million stg (coventry-inter)
and around 10 millionj stg (to leeds)
spurs paid quite a bit too.

ian
23/07/2003, 6:02 PM
That is a good move if he does go to blackburn it will make him a better player all round and pluse he will be in with the top boys in the prem and this will be good for Ireland.

Seamus #1
23/07/2003, 7:33 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
i might be wrong, but hasn't robbie keane moved for more money at least twice;)

think it was 6 million stg (coventry-inter)
and around 10 millionj stg (to leeds)
spurs paid quite a bit too.

Robbie Keane:
wolves to coventry 6m
coventry to inter (reported) 13m
inter to leeds 13m (or maybe 12m)
leeds to spurs 7m

(all sterling)

NigeSausagepump
29/07/2003, 7:26 AM
Looks like Reid's move is now signed sealed and delivered.
He has big boots to fill at Ewood Park......

tiktok
29/07/2003, 2:59 PM
from www.rte.ie

Blackburn Rovers manager Graeme Souness last night revealed Steven Reid has completed his move to Ewood Park. Rovers are believed to have agreed a fee of around £2.5million with First Division Millwall for the Republic of Ireland midfielder last week.

Barclaycard Premiership rivals Portsmouth attempted to hijack Reid's move north but after talks with Blackburn officials, the 22-year-old has signed a four-year contract at Ewood Park.

Souness revealed he had been forced to dash away from negotiations before Reid signed so as to sit in the dug-out for last night's friendly defeat at Oldham but the Scot was delighted to add the midfielder to recent signings Brett Emerton and Lorenzo Amoruso.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, he said: "We've signed Steven Reid and I think both Brett and Lorenzo are good signings for us - I feel we will be stronger than this time last year. It's a four-year deal. I raced over here because discussion went on quite late but my understanding is he has signed now. I'm delighted to have him on board."

Seamus #1
29/07/2003, 8:07 PM
tiktok - sorry if you think I'm being harsh but could you not post a link to the said article in future rather than copying and pasting an article from another site?

Perhaps like this:

Souness confirms Reid move to Blackburn (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2003/0729/soccer/reids.html)

It's difficult to work out sometimes what is from another source and what is your opinion.
Secondly, it's copyright infringement.

tiktok
29/07/2003, 11:53 PM
no problem seamus. suggestion taken on board.

the reason i tend to do this is because i know people who can access foot.ie at work but have the majority of football sites blocked to them. i had assumed this was the same for a good few people.

for the record though, i've never posted anything from another site without crediting the website that i took it from, including a url link to the homepage of the site involved.

and if i have a comment to make on a story i paste, then i place that either before the url link, or else use something like a smiley in between the passage and my opinion.

A face
30/07/2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Seamus #1
It's difficult to work out sometimes what is from another source and what is your opinion.
Secondly, it's copyright infringement.

That is all toss ......

I need three windows open for work

I normally have another two open ....

And you want even more ... you are screwin' me like :)

Seamus .... you are pushin' da boat out a bit there like ... a window is a window is a window. Get over it.

(i actually go out of my way to post articles on here INSTEAD of the link only (i always post the link to the site aswell)

Yours in football
Lets get over it !!

NigeSausagepump
30/07/2003, 3:19 PM
Brett Emerton is a right sided winger. Reid can play right and left. Wonder if that means Reid might play on the left?

Slash/ED
30/07/2003, 5:59 PM
I wouldn't mind seing him tried as a central mid fielder but I have to agree with Nige there, he'll be a left winger at the start at least.

Seamus #1
30/07/2003, 11:23 PM
no problem seamus. suggestion taken on board.

the reason i tend to do this is because i know people who can access foot.ie at work but have the majority of football sites blocked to them. i had assumed this was the same for a good few people...

...and if i have a comment to make on a story i paste, then i place that either before the url link, or else use something like a smiley in between the passage and my opinion.

No probs tiktok I wasn't aware that people were having these difficulties so fair enough mate.

for the record though, i've never posted anything from another site without crediting the website that i took it from, including a url link to the homepage of the site involved.

It's a permission thing really rather than a crediting issue. You can't copy any aspect of their site without their permission.

I only mention it because other forums I have been on have got into grief for copying from other sites exactly like this. Hence they recommend using a link rather than copy and pasting.

Seamus #1
30/07/2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by A face
That is all toss ......

I need three windows open for work

I normally have another two open ....

And you want even more ... you are screwin' me like :)

Am I how? Perhaps you should get some more RAM for your machine? Second thoughts perhaps you could actually do the job your boss is paying you for? Or am I screwin you again?

Seamus .... you are pushin' da boat out a bit there like ... a window is a window is a window. Get over it.

Sound like your the one who needs to get over it. The discussion between myself and tiktok has been reasonable and logical. I really wasn't expecting someone to claim I was pushing out 'da boat'. Do you mean Das Boot the German WWII submarine film?

(i actually go out of my way to post articles on here INSTEAD of the link only (i always post the link to the site aswell)

Well done.

Lets get over it !!

Peadar
31/07/2003, 10:51 AM
I was just talking to my buddies in Blackpool and Reid played on the left for Rovers last night in their 1-2 win over the pool.
Emerton played on the right and grabbed the limelight. Reid did well, creating some chances and had some nice touches.
He went close to scoring.
Emerton is certain to fill that right mid-field position so unless Reid can grow into that left position he'll be spending a lot of time on the bench.

John83
31/07/2003, 4:47 PM
He has no competition for the left. When Duffer was out, Souness was forced to use Dunn there, and now he's sold both of them, so Reid is it.

tiktok
31/07/2003, 5:46 PM
seeing as i don't give two tosses about blackburn, how is this going to affect Reid wrt Ireland.

will Kerr use Reid on the right or use the move as an excuse to play him on the left and leave duffer up front???

NigeSausagepump
01/08/2003, 7:25 AM
Given what we've seen on the right side of midfield over the last few games, I'd hope that Kerr will give Reid a real shot at making the place his own. All due respects to Lee Carsley, but I have a feeling the nation groans when he is named wide on the right.

If Duffer does revert to the left and Reid establishes himself as a Premiership player and slots in on the right, we have the makings of a decent midfield.

Footie_Fan
05/08/2003, 5:31 PM
Good move for Reid nice to see him in the Premiership. But I don't like this idea of him playing on the left. He is a right winger. Anyone else going to see Blackburn tomorrow night?