PDA

View Full Version : Utd vrs Rvrs.

Pages : [1] 2

eamo1
18/04/2008, 11:08 AM
Its the day before our "biggest game of the season","el derby" and theres no real talk about the game,strange.
So are we all only looking for a point from this one?If we had had our full team id say we could win.If Derek is back we might have a bit more of a threat in the final third.Why dont we recall Tracy from Limerick for these few weeks??Or Greg from Shels,we are paying their dam wages afterall.
my prediction is 1-1.

Claret Murph
18/04/2008, 11:11 AM
Well Eamo , I think that most people are stuck on the manager front and I would say a lot of us are thinking that we will end up with nothing again this weekend .

And I am going for 2-0 to Sligo , the same old same old .....:mad::mad::mad:

gufct
18/04/2008, 11:21 AM
depends on what our starting 11 is but it will take an all mercifull effort from the players to lift themselves above the gloom and negativity.Still 1-0 deego.;)

Terry-Lander
18/04/2008, 12:14 PM
The eternal optimist in me reckons we can win this one. The realist says that we will concede at least one and I can't see us getting two. At this stage I'd setle for 1-1. On a slightly different note I hope to be leaving from the general headford area around 6ish and at the mo have a seat in the car available if anyone needs a lift and can't make the early bus.

redobit
18/04/2008, 3:09 PM
Fair enough were the favourites for this one, put to be honest you never know lads - we go a point in the Brandywell for the first time in years last week. ye bringing many fans

gordongekko
18/04/2008, 4:13 PM
I watched Sligo in a pre season game against Harps and i was impressed with them but the pitch that day was terrible and if it has not improved we need ( im sorry to say this) to revert to tc football. If we do that we should be able to claim something from this game.

wonder88
18/04/2008, 7:58 PM
seen sligo twice this season, and in pre-season, they have better players than Utd, but they didn't impress against Cobh. The pitch is bad but looking at it during the week (from distance) maybe it has improved a little. A bit of fighting spirit is needed for tomorrow night, and if we get that a draw is possible. 2-2.:)

Maroon 7
19/04/2008, 8:48 PM
3-0 Sligo now.

Wes Charles sent off.

Need a new manager in there asap.

Terry
19/04/2008, 9:02 PM
a manager with a new squad readily available!

foxx92
19/04/2008, 9:29 PM
another back gone!

sligoman
19/04/2008, 9:37 PM
Galway fans not happy with Leech, he gave them the finger during the game.

sligored
19/04/2008, 9:42 PM
Galway Were The Better Team For The First Hour. Wes Harshly Sent Off Imo. Our 3 Subs Changed The Game Faz Raf And Murphy.
I Hope Things Improve For Galway Soon.

DmanDmythDledge
19/04/2008, 10:37 PM
Galway fans not happy with Leech, he gave them the finger during the game.
What was chanted at Leech?

sligored
19/04/2008, 10:42 PM
i was over the other side but they seemed to boo his every touch for the last 15 mins. they then chanted mark leech, your a wa*ker.
i was surprised at this but if he gave them the fingers i can understand.
Good galway support tonight

geezer
19/04/2008, 10:45 PM
i didnt see that but its not right to give him that kind of stick, He defo shouldve been taken off after 15 mins of second half. We did play awful well and Faz goal was a dinger,
it was inevitable we were gonna come under pressure that was when a change up front would have been brave. alas it wasnt to be ,bray next week

Tir Oilean
19/04/2008, 10:53 PM
Didnt see Leech give the finger. To be honest he is too lazy to raise it. He shouldnt have stayed on the pitch even though O'Flynn was knackered he gave a 110%. Who trained Sligo's stewards? They let about 20 Sligo fans sit in the away section from before kick off then let more join them in the 2nd half which lead to a totally avoidable war of words.

Also that Burbury muppet made an appearance again he should not be allowed near an away bus ever

The game itself showed that we have the ability within the squad to survive but we need a manger in place yesterday. We were on top for the first half but started the second half on the back foot. Cook even though he was sent to the stand managed to make the right subs at the right time. Rodgers played a blinder except for being caught off his line for Rafs header, his kick outs were straight. There was a bit of urgency about us tonight the ball was played up the field as soon as we caught possession. Nearly every player put in the effort tonight which was good to see.

Oh ya and just in case you were wondering yes the ref was ****e denied both sides frees and awarded cards where he shouldnt have and didnt where he should have twas McKeown (think thats his name) from Dublin, featured on MNS not so long ago

geezer
19/04/2008, 11:10 PM
embarrassingly the burbery muppet whose name seems to be thornton was one of ours. He bravely told me im a fairweather supporter. Muppets like him should be pulled aside before some innocent soul gets hurt because of his stupidness

Tir Oilean
19/04/2008, 11:20 PM
Oh he is well known Geezer and if I remember correctly is barred from Terryland......thats probably why he hasnt see you at a game all season!:D:D

gufct
19/04/2008, 11:45 PM
I didnt see Mark Leech raise his fingers but he got unbelievable unwarranted abuse for most of the second half before the alleged incident happened. A lot of very young very drunk clowns there tonight and some control has to exercised over them.

On the match we were easily the best team for the first 60 mins but the goal knocked the stuffing out of the team .We also had a very good shout for a penalty at 1 down but McKeon was absoltely brutal .

The new manage has to be appointed on monday and hit the ground running.

Patrick Dunne
20/04/2008, 12:07 AM
Mark Leech made a finger gesture to the United supporters with 10 minutes to go. I saw it, as did many others.

It is not alleged, gufct, it happened. Why do you think supporters reacted with outrage towards him for the last ten minutes ?

Well done to those supporters who booed him constantly towards the end of the match. It is time for us to show that we are sick of funding the "easy money in Galway" regime which has been in place since we turned "professional".

Maroon 7
20/04/2008, 2:55 AM
Pretty bad situation now alright.

Even fans of some notable no-mark clubs are loving it on the main forum.

Club really needs a strong character to take over.

Boo_Boy
20/04/2008, 3:10 AM
Club really needs a strong character to take over.

if its a stong character ye need then Sean Connor is the way to go

what an impression that man left on us.

gilberto_eire
20/04/2008, 4:26 AM
I didnt see Mark Leech raise his fingers but he got unbelievable unwarranted abuse for most of the second half before the alleged incident happened. A lot of very young very drunk clowns there tonight and some control has to exercised over them.

On the match we were easily the best team for the first 60 mins but the goal knocked the stuffing out of the team .We also had a very good shout for a penalty at 1 down but McKeon was absoltely brutal .

The new manage has to be appointed on monday and hit the ground running.

Look enough of the ''we deserved something''.... we really did'nt!!

There was 2/3 fella's giving Leech abuse(which i never agree with, but happens to any player), but then he gave our section the finger, and i aswell as the rest let him know what i taught of him for the rest of the game, he has'nt even scored a goal in the league this season so when he does something like that, that's all he can expect. waste of wages!!:mad:

Trainee
20/04/2008, 5:31 AM
I was not at the game tonight but from I heard tonnight we need stick together for the whole season not the **** chants of going going down that were sang to me by fans on the bus

anyone who wants to give out about any of players behaviour tonight should keep its off this forum and raise at Tuesdays Trust meeting

sligofan4ever
20/04/2008, 8:26 AM
that was a poor ref last night if i ever seen one did anyone see the incident late in the game where Peers i think ut was got clearly pushed and the ref gave GUFC the free kick the LoI need better quality refs in all fairness

Terry
20/04/2008, 9:37 AM
Im not backing leech up or anything, but seriously, does abusing the players during matches make them play better the following week? If this type of support continues, so will the poor performances. The players wont want to play for us and no other will want to join. Seriously, we're digging our own grave. From what I've been told even Billy Clery thought some of the abuse was way over the top and not called for, says a lot when one of the biggest complainers in the game says this. Anyone who feels agreived by what happened should make a formal complaint to the club or as trainee said bring it up in the next trust meeting where it can be put forward to the board of management.

snookerloopy
20/04/2008, 9:40 AM
Im not backing leech up or anything, but seriously, does abusing the players during matches make them play better the following week? If this type of support continues, so will the poor performances. The players wont want to play for us and no other will want to join. Seriously, we're digging our own grave. From what I've been told even Billy Clery thought some of the abuse was way over the top and not called for, says a lot when one of the biggest complainers in the game says this. Anyone who feels agreived by what happened should make a formal complaint to the club or as trainee said bring it up in the next trust meeting where it can be put forward to the board of management.
No reason why it shouldnt motivate them to prove the fans wrong

Terry
20/04/2008, 9:45 AM
But it doesnt ! If they were locals who love united maybe, but nearly all of our starting team are not from Galway so will say " F this, Im not going to play for these &%$£%$£^".

snookerloopy
20/04/2008, 10:52 AM
But it doesnt ! If they were locals who love united maybe, but nearly all of our starting team are not from Galway so will say " F this, Im not going to play for these &%$£%$£^".
Thats a pretty bad attitude for you to have.Why is it always a local v non-local issue? I think your view of the dedication/passion of the local lads may even be over-rated.The players sould want to prove the fans wrong when they think they are s****e regardless of where they are from

gilberto_eire
20/04/2008, 11:01 AM
No gilberto you never abuse players,I must have just imagined all the crap you said about the likes of Moran Cooke and reilly last season so!!

So you can say you've seen me abuse players at a game?. That's what i'm talking about!!, not talking about giving my opinion on them here last year LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!

Can't help but notice your liking for Reilly reading through your posts ''good versatile'' player....sorry Phil i don't rate ya anyway, glad your gone!! ;)

Cop on will ya, don't even know who you are, you more then likely were'nt even there last night!!:rolleyes:

Patrick Dunne
20/04/2008, 11:05 AM
Our squad are supposed to full-time professiional footballers. The cost of running our club is E30,000 per week.

The attitiude of the players is far from professional. At 1-0 down, the game is always over, United capitulate.

I have absolutlely no sympathy for Mark Leech. While he is nursing his hangover and scratching his arse today, supporters of this club will be going around Galway City trying to sell Lotto tickets to cover some part of his wages.

For the last 15 years supporters of this club have put up with more rubbish than anyone in this country would tolerate. No longer. As I said before, well done to those who made their feelings known last night.

Terry
20/04/2008, 12:21 PM
Thats a pretty bad attitude for you to have.Why is it always a local v non-local issue? I think your view of the dedication/passion of the local lads may even be over-rated.The players sould want to prove the fans wrong when they think they are s****e regardless of where they are from

You can check back through my many posts and you will not find me ever talk about local v non local so to say "always" you havent a clue! I never rated the passion either of the local players just gave an example of the former local players who are very good friends of mine who gave it all for the club in the past, and still love the club. My finishing quote then was what I believe leech feels for this club and what my fellow supporters witnessed last night to back it up, they dont seem to questioning it either?

eamo1
20/04/2008, 12:43 PM
I hated Derek a couple of years ago but never booed him.If the booing started before leech made the gesture then i think it was wrong.If he gestured first then he is a wan*** and deserved it.
What was Charles sent off for?

Terry
20/04/2008, 12:48 PM
charles was sent off for hitting out at the player after giving away the peno.

gufct
20/04/2008, 1:59 PM
I hated Derek a couple of years ago but never booed him.If the booing started before leech made the gesture then i think it was wrong.If he gestured first then he is a wan*** and deserved it.
What was Charles sent off for?

It started long before the gesture and got worse when Billy didnt take him off hardly his fault. Im not condoning what he did but their is a very vocal section of our supporters who will pick targets to abuse rather than getting behind the team .

The wheels are off the wagon lads and we are in freefall unless there are people out there who are prepared to stand up to the boo boys and say its time to stop and support the team from here on in. It wasnt just the usual kids that were at it last night and some Senior Fans should take a long hard look at some of their behaviour last night. I counted three families who upped and left our section last night because of the continous abuse.

The 5 year plan is down the swanee as well as all the cogs have been removed and there is just one big wheel spinning for Ireland.

Conor H
20/04/2008, 2:08 PM
It started long before the gesture and got worse when Billy didnt take him off hardly his fault. Im not condoning what he did but their is a very vocal section of our supporters who will pick targets to abuse rather than getting behind the team .

The wheels are off the wagon lads and we are in freefall unless there are people out there who are prepared to stand up to the boo boys and say its time to stop and support the team from here on in. It wasnt just the usual kids that were at it last night and some Senior Fans should take a long hard look at some of their behaviour last night. I counted three families who upped and left our section last night because of the continous abuse.

The 5 year plan is down the swanee as well as all the cogs have been removed and there is just one big wheel spinning for Ireland.

The support in Sligo was described as "unbelieveable" on GBFM at half time.

When you're losing 3-0 to Sligo in the showgrounds,with passions running high it doesn't take much to set things off.
The commitment of GUFC supporters is far superior to that of the players.

As for the abuse.He received no more or less than anyo0ne else IMO up until his gesture.

gufct
20/04/2008, 2:15 PM
There was three lads who jumped to the wall when Billy didnt take him off and abused him constantly thereafter and most of the abuse was started with the word "Dublin" .

snookerloopy
20/04/2008, 3:51 PM
You can check back through my many posts and you will not find me ever talk about local v non local so to say "always" you havent a clue! I never rated the passion either of the local players just gave an example of the former local players who are very good friends of mine who gave it all for the club in the past, and still love the club. My finishing quote then was what I believe leech feels for this club and what my fellow supporters witnessed last night to back it up, they dont seem to questioning it either?
I wasnt making reference to you in particular but there always seems to be a strong local non local theme on this forum!granted there can be local heros. the like of jimmy nolan, billy cleary, miko nolan are some examples. but who cares where they are from.theres plenty more examples of players playing with a hundred per cent passion for clubs that arent local to them.If the local players didnt get a chance at GUFC I doubt if too many of them would frequent terryland on friday night.All these lads have the job we would all love to do and know it. they reckon not being able to go for a few pints when they want is the toughest part.

Terry-Lander
20/04/2008, 4:10 PM
What Leech did is unacceptable and unwelcome. The abuse he got for the last 15 minutes was also unacceptable and unwelcome. Calling him a whatever has no effect on him. If he is a whatever he is probably too busy gratifying himself to care. It does have an effect on the rest of the team. Billy was visibly upset at the end of the game.....and it wasn't just because of the result.

By all means voice your opinion but as Billy pointed out there are ways and means of doing so. Get off your moral high stands because chanting whatever at someone makes you sound like the real whatever.

The abuse was started by a core group and then the sheep followed. That core group consisted of a 'well respected supporter' who had earlier squared up to the stewards and sligo fans because they were in our section. 'Our' section???? Lads cop the hell on. Ye were angry at the result and just wanted to let fly. The core group also consisted of children (under 18yrs) who were very drunk and or stoned. Finally there was the Burburry Muppet. Now there's a collection anyone would be proud to follow!!

At the end, Billy, a man who has given more than most for this club and who's love and passion for United cannot be questioned came over to talk to the 'fans'. The eejits listed above would not even listen to him and tried to shout over him.

If Leech should apologise, and he should, there is a number of people on this forum who should hang their heads in shame and apologise to Billy.

Martinho II
20/04/2008, 9:34 PM
If I was in leechs shoes and I was gettin the same amount of abuse that ye were giving him I would have done the exact same thing.. the lad is young hes frustrated its a natural reaction get over it...

gilberto_eire
20/04/2008, 10:03 PM
If I was in leechs shoes and I was gettin the same amount of abuse that ye were giving him I would have done the exact same thing.. the lad is young hes frustrated its a natural reaction get over it...

What you mean ye?. Did you experience the ''abuse''?.

Leech was gettng no more stick then the any player not preforming would recieve, that is 2 or 3 or 4 tops were on his back when he messed up, with the usual crap you'll hear people shouting at a player when he's not performing(''your useless'' etc.) now out of everyone who was there and using the law of adverages theres always going to be one or two fella's giving a lad abuse,
I don't do it myself but there's always one or two.
However when he gave the gseture he did so to the whole travelling support as a whole, this in turn enraged the likes of myself who normally would just watch the game in a civilised manner and i like a massive proprortion of other ''quiet'' fans became involved in the booing and chanting and rightly so IMO!.

So basically he did'nt recieve any more slack then a regular player who recieves until after he made the gesture, the way the fans reacted is no differant to what yourselfves or any other club for that matter would have reacted at the time!!

Gaillimh Al
20/04/2008, 10:15 PM
Abusing a player because of his performances is one thing, personal abuse about him, his family and where he comes from is uncalled for. That is what got Billy upset. And he was getting sustained abuse before he reacted.
It was an unacceptable reaction by a professional footballer, who should have known better, and Billy said as much, but if ye think giving him personal abuse is ok.......I thought we were above that sort of ****e.

Conor H
20/04/2008, 10:22 PM
Abusing a player because of his performances is one thing, personal abuse about him, his family and where he comes from is uncalled for. That is what got Billy upset. And he was getting sustained abuse before he reacted.
It was an unacceptable reaction by a professional footballer, who should have known better, and Billy said as much, but if ye think giving him personal abuse is ok.......I thought we were above that sort of ****e.

Anyone who said something about his family is an embarrassment to GUFC.
However i didn't think the abuse was at that level by any stretch of the imagination so i persume you heard someone refer to his family Al?
Otherwise it's a pretty serious accusation.

Leech was out of line,no question and should be disciplined.
However bit was low moment for the Club overall with supporters and players at each others throats.Sligo probably enjoyed that.
Onwards and upwards.

Gaillimh Al
21/04/2008, 12:25 AM
However i didn't think the abuse was at that level by any stretch of the imagination so i presume you heard someone refer to his family Al?

I had a friend in the away section, who has being going to League of Ireland games for 20 years, and he said he hadn't heard abuse like it in an awful long time. And one of the club staff must have heard something too, because it was relaid to Billy.

Certain people obviously think nothing of what comes out of their mouths at a game and feel justified by the fact that they've paid their way. I know the majority aren't like that, but these "supporters" have to be weeded out or let know that this sort of carry on is unacceptable.

Terry-Lander
21/04/2008, 7:08 AM
I had a friend in the away section, who has being going to League of Ireland games for 20 years, and he said he hadn't heard abuse like it in an awful long time. And one of the club staff must have heard something too, because it was relaid to Billy.

Certain people obviously think nothing of what comes out of their mouths at a game and feel justified by the fact that they've paid their way. I know the majority aren't like that, but these "supporters" have to be weeded out or let know that this sort of carry on is unacceptable.

I was shocked by the actions of some 'supporters' who have been around Terryland for years and who were not the 3 or 4 youngsters giving abuse as referred to by gilberto earlier. The problem with weeding them out is that while everyone will point the finger at the Burberry Muppet how many will point to some of the 'stalwarts' of United's suport?
The only saving grace for me personally on a night of shame was that I didn't bring my young children to experience such venom.

We must unite and support the team, including the new manager.

Patrick Dunne
21/04/2008, 7:31 AM
Your friend has never attended a match in Oriel Park, Al. He must be a Monaghan supporter !

Terry-Lander
21/04/2008, 7:37 AM
Only at United !:rolleyes:

??????????????

gufct
21/04/2008, 7:39 AM
I heard the references to his family and especially his father and was disgusted by it and actually confronted some people before Mark reacted. He was also told to f back to Dublin, called a dublin w*nker and worse. As Terry Lander said it wasnt the young clowns that were firing the worst of the abuse but they shouldnt have been allowed anywhere near the GUST Bus as there was 3/4 spoiling for a ruck even with their own all night,

The sligo stewarding wasnt great but the only fans spoiling for trouble were a few of our own some of whom should know better.

Ive said it here already we need to get rid of the personalised abuse both here and at the games.The support on saturday night was brilliant for 70% of the game but that will all be overshadowed by what followed. We need to get behind the new manager and team from now until the end of the season so what happened on saturday should be sorted internally and people need to realise there was wrong on both sides.

Patrick Dunne
21/04/2008, 7:51 AM
Imagine the scenario.

You are from Galway, playing for Shamrock Rovers vs Bohemians. Bohs are hammering you 3-0. You haven't won in your last seven matches. You give the Rovers fans the finger.

I would imagine that supporters chanting "F**k off back to Galway" would be the least of your worries.

Of course he was told to "f**k off back to Dublin". What do you expect ?

Terry-Lander
21/04/2008, 7:58 AM
Imagine the scenario.

You are from Galway, playing for Shamrock Rovers vs Bohemians. Bohs are hammering you 3-0. You haven't won in your last seven matches. You give the Rovers fans the finger.

I would imagine that supporters chanting "F**k off back to Galway" would be the least of your worries.

Of course he was told to "f**k off back to Dublin". What do you expect ?

Imagine the scenario. You claim to be a United SUPPORTER. You hurl personal abuse at your own players and square up to opposing fans and their stewards in a threatening manner. You then refuse to listen to a man (Billy) who has given his heart and soul to the club you say you love and shout at him too.
What DO you expect?