PDA

View Full Version : Labour TD (mother) & Councillor back convicted paedophile

Pages : [1] 2

GavinZac
18/04/2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=mhojidcwkfoj&c=ireland

Ms Aileen Donnelly SC (with Mr Noel Devitt BL), said the Director of Public Prosecutions placed some of the offences in the case as being "at the upper end of the scale". She noted that some of the sexual assaults carried 14 years imprisonment.

"The fact that other juveniles were present for some of these offences is a significant matter."

Mr Justice McCarthy who was told that the younger victim has been admitted into psychiatric care on occasions as a result of being abused by Casey.

He was told she kept a diary in which she recorded what happened and the effect it had on her, causing her "to hate my life". Among the points she recorded were "Leave me alone" and also "I wish I was dead.".

Mr Justice McCarthy directed that Casey’s name be added to the register of sex offenders and said that while sex offender treatment courses were available, rehabilitation could only happen if the offender accepted responsibility but Casey hadn’t done so.

The judge noted he had received personal letters from Labour TD, Mrs Kathleen Lynch and from a former Lord Mayor of Cork, Mr John Murray, indicating that Casey came from a good family with integrity. He said, however, that he felt there was little in the way of mitigation rising from them in all the circumstances.

Mr Justice McCarthy imposed six-year concurrent sentences on the earlier rape charges in relation to the eldest victim, and a consecutive seven-year term in relation to later rapes on this victim.

He imposed a consecutive seven-year term for the rapes on the second victim, totalling 14 years but suspended the final year of that term. He also imposed four year terms for the sexual assault charges concurrent with the seven-year rape terms.

What in the name of blue hell are my elected representatives at Dáil and City Council level doing sending letters of recommendation at the sentencing of a convicted serial paedophile? This woman is a mother, and she's backing the earlier release of a convicted paedophile back into her area? What these scumbags will do for votes... I am quite angry.

micls
18/04/2008, 11:07 AM
My feelings on the matter(and some background information) are here http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/Absolutely-sickened-t24588.html

I cant describe how angry I am.

GavinZac
18/04/2008, 11:13 AM
I wonder how the Former Lord Mayor reconciles his cheery disposition in giving half days and no homework to children whilst sending letters of support for a serial rapist paedophile, who raped his potential sister-in-law while his toddler son was in the room?

Macy
18/04/2008, 11:46 AM
Is there evidence that the letters were in "support" of the offender, rather than an "I know the family" sop to the other family members who could've been looking for something that didn't tarnish the rest of them?

Don't agree with politicians getting involved to be honest, but until we know what was in the letters we can hardly put in the same bracket of seeking the early release of a convicted peadophile like Minister Killeen did last year.

micls
18/04/2008, 11:49 AM
Is there evidence that the letters were in "support" of the offender, rather than an "I know the family" sop to the other family members who could've been looking for something that didn't tarnish the rest of them?

Don't agree with politicians getting involved to be honest, but until we know what was in the letters we can hardly put in the same bracket of seeking the early release of a convicted peadophile like Minister Killeen did last year.
Firstly I think its irrelevant. What is the point of these letters if not to ask for leniancy on his behalf?

But yes. Parts of the letters were read out in court, my father was there. They spoke mainly of how great his family was, but also spoke of how he always seemed a respectable and responsible young man.

Im not comparing it to any other case, tbh wasnt even aware of that case.

but on its own merits I am disgusted that someone I helped elect did anything to try to get a lighter sentence for a pedophile who raped her constituents.

GavinZac
18/04/2008, 11:59 AM
Is there evidence that the letters were in "support" of the offender, rather than an "I know the family" sop to the other family members who could've been looking for something that didn't tarnish the rest of them?The letters were sent as positive reference for consideration in the sentencing of a convicted paedophile, and read at the same time as victim impact statements which serve the same purpose.

1 year of Casey's sentence has been suspended as the judge felt his previous clean record and the "unlikelihood of him appearing in court again" went for him. How would you feel if part of this judgement was in any way influenced even in the slightest by letters from elected Labour officials?

There was a priest involved too but then, quelle surprise

Macy
18/04/2008, 12:02 PM
Firstly I think its irrelevant. What is the point of these letters if not to ask for leniancy on his behalf?

But yes. Parts of the letters were read out in court, my father was there. They spoke mainly of how great his family was, but also spoke of how he always seemed a respectable and responsible young man.

Im not comparing it to any other case, tbh wasnt even aware of that case.

but on its own merits I am disgusted that someone I helped elect did anything to try to get a lighter sentence for a pedophile who raped her constituents.
What if the mother or father of the monster was there begging for something that showed that the rest of the family weren't hiding anything? All that you've said there is that the family was good, and that he seemed respectable and responsible. I'd read what you've posted there as the family were good (and they are innocent afterall) and how they weren't to know what he was really like. Did the letters, from both of them (as they could be different) actually ask for leniency or were they about the family?

I repeat, I don't think politicians should get involved, but is saying the family are ok and that the offender seemed normal to them really the same as asking for leniency in sentencing?

micls
18/04/2008, 12:08 PM
What if the mother or father of the monster was there begging for something that showed that the rest of the family weren't hiding anything? All that you've said there is that the family was good, and that he seemed respectable and responsible. I'd read what you've posted there as the family were good (and they are innocent afterall) and how they weren't to know what he was really like. Did the letters, from both of them (as they could be different) actually ask for leniency or were they about the family?

I repeat, I don't think politicians should get involved, but is saying the family are ok and that the offender seemed normal to them really the same as asking for leniency in sentencing?

Well the family themselves are claiming he's still innocent and has ben falsely convicted so I cant see themselves trying to distance themselves from him.

What reason is there for sending a letter to te judge to be considered when sentencing? The letter didnt have to be made public, the judge chose to read part of it out. If he hadnt then it would have been no good to the family if what they wanted was just for their names to be kept out of it.

They were given to the judge as character references. The only reasoning I can see behind that is to try to get some leniancy. I really cant see any other reason.

Surely the court sentencing isnt the place and the ludge isnt the person to be giving the letter to as a character refernce if it is just about the family

If the transcripts are posted online Il post them, and the parts of the letters the judge read out.

When my dad gets back he'l probably tell more of what was said.

GavinZac
18/04/2008, 12:09 PM
I repeat, I don't think politicians should get involved, but is saying the family are ok and that the offender seemed normal to them really the same as asking for leniency in sentencing?That is the purpose of letters to be considered in sentencing. The family have nothing to do with it except as a frame of reference for the convicted person's character. Sentencing is not a time to be clearing a family's name; I'm not sure there is any time for it really. They weren't on trial and had nothing to do with the sentencing other than, as I said, as part of the perception of Trevor Casey.

Ambaiste!
18/04/2008, 12:19 PM
That is the purpose of letters to be considered in sentencing. The family have nothing to do with it except as a frame of reference for the convicted person's character. Sentencing is not a time to be clearing a family's name; I'm not sure there is any time for it really. They weren't on trial and had nothing to do with the sentencing other than, as I said, as part of the perception of Trevor Casey.

Spot on, particularly the part in bold. If the family wanted their name cleared, they could have released a statement to the press or some such. The mind boggles to be honest. I can't see what either of the politicians would have had to gain by doing this :confused:

micls
18/04/2008, 12:21 PM
Spot on, particularly the part in bold. If the family wanted their name cleared, they could have released a statement to the press or some such. The mind boggles to be honest. I can't see what either of the politicians would have had to gain by doing this :confused:

Kathleen Lynch is a good friend of the father of Trevor Casey and in the house a good bit

It seems to me she put this friendship above her constituents(the victims) and tried to use her office inappropriately.

No idea about the other guy

Ambaiste!
18/04/2008, 12:40 PM
Kathleen Lynch is a good friend of the father of Trevor Casey and in the house a good bit

It seems to me she put this friendship above her constituents(the victims) and tried to use her office inappropriately.

No idea about the other guy

I don't doubt she knows the family, but that still seems like a very naive thing for a politician to do, especially one that's been around as long as Kathleen Lynch. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more involved here than just a bad judgement call by these two. Gav mentioned that there was a priest involved somehow too...what's the story there?

micls
18/04/2008, 12:41 PM
Gav mentioned that there was a priest involved somehow too...what's the story there?

There was also a similar letter submitted by the local priest....who is also the local priest of the girls

Block G Raptor
18/04/2008, 1:18 PM
Jesus you couldn't make this stuff up. Both politicians must be made to resign immediately. ffs Bertie pockets a few grand on the side and the opposition destroy his career, then members of the same opposition do something as deplorable as this? the mind surely does boggle. Lynch and Murray IMO are SCUM!!!

micls
18/04/2008, 1:22 PM
Jesus you couldn't make this stuff up. Both politicians must be made to resign immediately. ffs Bertie pockets a few grand on the side and the opposition destroy his career, then members of the same opposition do something as deplorable as this? the mind surely does boggle. Lynch and Murray IMO are SCUM!!!

I dont think theres any chance of them resigning.

But we will do everything in our power to ensure they arent re-elected. At least the poeple in our constituency now know who these people will support when something like this happens.

Block G Raptor
18/04/2008, 1:27 PM
Well I've sent a rather tritely worded email to my Local Labour TD Joan Bruton ensuring her that if these too poor excuses for human beings are not removed from the party She nor her party will ever get another vote from me or my family, a few more like that and mountains might be moved. has anyone rang Joe Duffy yet? as we all know Joe really runs the country anyway

P.S. just like Micls my blood truely is boiling.

micls
18/04/2008, 1:31 PM
Well I've sent a rather tritely worded email to my Local Labour TD Joan Bruton ensuring her that if these too poor excuses for human beings are not removed from the party She nor her party will ever get another vote from me or my family, a few more like that and mountains might be moved. has anyone rang Joe Duffy yet? as we all know Joe really runs the country anyway

P.S. just like Micls my blood truely is boiling.

Locally my family has contacted 96fm. Havnt really thought about nationally.

Getting them named and shamed in this area is what matters to us really. Given thats the people with the power to keep them out of government next time.

A few of us have emailed Labour and Kathleen Lynch and more will in the coming days.

Macy
18/04/2008, 1:34 PM
Sure the "few grand" Bertie wouldn't even say his own minister that made representations on behalf of a peodophile, and a murderer, for early release was wrong, let alone sack him.

Politically it's a disaster, on a personal level it must be hard if they're friends of the family. Solution is to keep politicians out of the workings of the judicial system - policy and legislation only.

micls
18/04/2008, 1:37 PM
on a personal level it must be hard if they're friends of the family. Solution is to keep politicians out of the workings of the judicial system - policy and legislation only.

Exactly.Why the hell is it relevant. Would the judge accept submissions from ordinary people about how much of a creep the man was? No. So politicians have no right to abuse their power in this way

Dodge
18/04/2008, 1:53 PM
Just on the heading of this thread. Was the letter submitted after the person was convicted? Or before hand?

micls
18/04/2008, 1:55 PM
Just on the heading of this thread. Was the letter submitted after the person was convicted? Or before hand?
It was submitted to the judge yesterday, 8 weeks after the conviction.

When it was written I dont know

Dodge
18/04/2008, 1:57 PM
Could be an important distinction, before the lynching continues

GavinZac
18/04/2008, 1:57 PM
It was submitted to the judge yesterday, 8 weeks after the conviction.

When it was written I dont know

It cannot have been written previous to the conviction; it would've been used in the form of a character witness during the trial itself had it been presented or obtained before that. If somehow the defence attorney attempted to use a pre-conviction testimonial after conviction, during sentencing, they'd be disbarred.

micls
18/04/2008, 1:58 PM
Could be an important distinction, before the lynching continues

I dont see how. A letter from the TD was submitted for consideration during sentencing.
I presume they cannot do this without the permission of the TD.

Dodge
18/04/2008, 2:02 PM
I dont see how. A letter from the TD was submitted for consideration during sentencing.
I presume they cannot do this without the permission of the TD.
If they have something written down, they can do what they like it.

It cannot have been written previous to the conviction; it would've been used in the form of a character witness during the trial itself had it been presented or obtained before that. If somehow the defence attorney attempted to use a pre-conviction testimonial after conviction, during sentencing, they'd be disbarred.
The trail was about the incidents, so someone's charchter isn't really relevent. Presumably it wouldn't have been allowed to enter the record at this stage.

I'll bow to your legal knowloedge if you're positive they'd be disbarred

micls
18/04/2008, 2:11 PM
If they have something written down, they can do what they like it.

The she shouldnt have written it down without being 100% certain he was innocent.

Even if that was the situation it wouldnt change the way I feel about it tbh. She's still bascially trying to help a paedophile

jebus
18/04/2008, 2:18 PM
She's still bascially trying to help a paedophile

And all because the paedophile's family are friends/donors, jesus this place sickens me more and more. More power to you for trying to get these two morons kicked out of office as well, have the local radio ran a story on it yet? Or the Echo even?

micls
18/04/2008, 2:20 PM
And all because the paedophile's family are friends/donors, jesus this place sickens me more and more. More power to you for trying to get these two morons kicked out of office as well, have the local radio ran a story on it yet? Or the Echo even?

It was reported in the echo but just the bare facts. That they had sent letters.

The radio reported the story, and we're now sorting out that one of the girls talk to them if she thinks she can. They didnt want to go public but because of this are too angry not to.

pete
18/04/2008, 2:21 PM
Bizarre behaviour from an elected politician. Seems the letters could only be sent post conviction & to be considered by the judge when sentencing. Can't even see how appeals for leniency work when the defendant contested the full trial & these are no acts of a once off mistake.

Good to see he got a half decent sentence although obviously no sentence would be long enough.

Macy
18/04/2008, 2:30 PM
If they were appeals for leniency, pete.

Is it normal for the names of character referee's to be read out in court? I just wondered whether it's normal for them to be named and shamed or whether it's normally done without that. Actually, I guess we'll know by how the other parties react - if it's heads down they're all at it.

Dodge
18/04/2008, 2:41 PM
jesus this place sickens me more and more.

You're off your head if you think this is confined to Ireland...

jebus
18/04/2008, 2:51 PM
You're off your head if you think this is confined to Ireland...

I don't, I could refrain it to this world sickens me more and more, but I'm living in Ireland so I'll say that the Land of Blarney sickens me more and more with each passing day for the time being.

Trust me Dodge, and LtiD and SLK will back me up on this one, I don't think much of man as a species at this stage and rant about how we all deserve to be wiped off the planet like the plague that we are quite frequently. See my thread on the Dog Exhibit for another remaining chunk of my belief in humanity being hacked off and ground into the dust

micls
18/04/2008, 3:02 PM
Gav emailed Newstalk earlier. They rang him back there.

George Hook plans to ring Kathleen Lynch for the right hook.

RedFm are planning to interview one of the girls also

jebus
18/04/2008, 3:06 PM
Gav emailed Newstalk earlier. They rang him back there.

George Hook plans to ring Kathleen Lynch for the right hook.

Is that today? What time as well, I normally don't listen to Hook but I will when this is on

micls
18/04/2008, 3:11 PM
Is that today? What time as well, I normally don't listen to Hook but I will when this is on

Half 4 afaik.

Red Fm have tried to contact her but she isnt answering her phone

Calcio Jack
18/04/2008, 3:24 PM
I always think it very odd that convicted criminals try to rely on letters such as this to be used to verify to the Judge that they are of good character,come from a good background and (in this case) a first time offender.... surely the logic should then be that if all of the foregoing is true about you , then surely your sentence should be at the higher end of the scale rather than the lower one, on the basis that you've had every chance in life and therefore you behaviour is worse that someone from a deprived background etc

IMO crimes should be judged on a standalone basis and no such letters should be allowed.

pete
18/04/2008, 3:30 PM
RTE report (http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0418/caseyt.html)

The judge said he noted letters received from Labour TD Kathleen Lynch and former Lord Mayor of Cork John Murray indicating that Casey came from a well regarded family but he said there was little in the way of mitigating circumstances.

With be interesting to see how politicians spin that.

jebus
18/04/2008, 3:56 PM
Half 4 afaik.

Red Fm have tried to contact her but she isnt answering her phone

Not to draw attention away from this particular incident, but who is this moron arguing against lesbian couples having custody of children on Newstalk?

osarusan
18/04/2008, 4:10 PM
Does anybody know how old these girls were?

sligoman
18/04/2008, 4:12 PM
Does anybody know how old these girls were?Think I read somewhere 15 and 17.

Block G Raptor
18/04/2008, 4:16 PM
Think I read somewhere 15 and 17.

They are 15 and 17 now but the Abuse had been going on for some years.

osarusan
18/04/2008, 4:26 PM
Posted by GavinZac (the same GavinZac as on this forum I'd imagine) on Digg.com.

http://digg.com/world_news/Cork_IE_man_guilty_of_raping_his_girlfriend_s_two_ sisters

Trevor Casey (31) of Fairhill, Cork, Ireland, has been found guilty of raping and sexually assaulting 8 times his then-girlfriend's younger sisters (then 14 and 16) over a 2 year period, with the jury undecided on 3 other charges and cases failing on 3. His defense came in for criticism for its veto'ing of female jurors, and array of delay tactics

sligoman
18/04/2008, 4:33 PM
They are 15 and 17 now but the Abuse had been going on for some years.It said on Cork forum that the oldest girl is 21 now.

Block G Raptor
18/04/2008, 4:38 PM
My Mistake

superfrank
18/04/2008, 5:18 PM
RTÉ didn't mention the TD's statement.

I agree that this is a disgusting crime. However, I think the TD's letter is taking the focus away from the crime. Surely all first-time offender would have a letter along the same lines handed in by someone who knows the defendant? Because this is a TD it's being made out into a big story. If it weren't a TD would people be complaining about the person who wrote the letter?

Regardless of TD's job of serving the community, they are allowed to stand up for there friends. They may really believe that this lad was a nice guy. I don't think they should be villified for that.

jebus
18/04/2008, 5:21 PM
Regardless of TD's job of serving the community, they are allowed to stand up for there friends. They may really believe that this lad was a nice guy. I don't think they should be villified for that.

They should when they try and sway a judge in their friend's favour by using their political influence

pete
18/04/2008, 9:03 PM
RTÉ didn't mention the TD's statement.

Read RTe News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0418/caseyt.html) report here.

I would be very surprised if ordinary individuals make submissions to the court. If she did not contact the victims then it is logical to assume she did on behalf of the convicted. Aside from being poor taste is political suicide to write on behalf of a convicted sex offender.

GavinZac
18/04/2008, 10:03 PM
Kathleen Lynch is not answering her phone but has given RedFM a statement to the effect that "it was a personal letter, I don't know Trevor Casey at all, and I did it as a favour to the convict's mother." Strange sort of a personal letter, one that comes on the same Labour headed paper with the lovely picture of her and her little rose, that same headed paper we received in the door this time last year when she was looking for our votes. Besides, the court does not just read out random letters they have received from people acting as "ordinary people". If it did they'd have a hard time sifting through looking for the positive personal testimonials amongst the hate mail for the monster who did this.

superfrank
18/04/2008, 10:23 PM
Read RTe News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0418/caseyt.html) report here.
Apologies. I meant the Six One News.

micls
19/04/2008, 11:31 AM
Kathleen Lynch refused to answer her phone but emailed a statement to radio stations.

I have received a number of queries about a letter I wrote, which was referred to by Mr. Justice Patrick McCarthy when he was today imposing a sentence of 13 years on Trevor Casey for a number of extremely serious sexual offences.

I do not know Treovor Casey personally, as I made clear in the letter. I do know his parents as good and decent people and when his mother asked me to write a letter to this effect, I agreed. It would have been cowardly of me to refuse to do so.

These are horrific offenses, for which Trevor Casey has been found guilty and the judge has imposed what he considered to be the appropriate sentence. I have no issue with the court process or the sentence imposed.

I have always been an advocate of proper support for victims of sexual attacks and believe serious offenders should receive and serve appropriate sentences.

My letter did not and was not intended to understate in any way the offences committed against the two victims in this case. I deeply sympathise with them and hope that in time they will be able to make a full recovery from their ordeal.

Kathleen Lynch T.D