PDA

View Full Version : Best Stadium - Poll

Pages : [1] 2

twowheelsonly
17/04/2008, 10:45 PM
While the best pitch/worst pitch debate is going on there's also a poll on the Eircom/LOI site on the best Stadium in the country.
Turners Cross (35%) is ahead by a country mile at the moment with Tolka (17%) in second place.
BTW, Turners Cross outside wall is finally getting a long overdue lick of paint this week.

Poll is here, on the left hand side of screen;
http://www.eircomloi.ie:82/

BohsPartisan
17/04/2008, 10:50 PM
Problem loading page:confused:

Dodge
17/04/2008, 10:53 PM
Weird link

Anyway ots on the LOI homepage

www.loi.ie gets your there. They like you to use www.eircomloi.ie

Not even a discussion that Turners Cross is the best

HarpoJoyce
17/04/2008, 10:57 PM
With Buckley Park out of the running and the three Cantilevered stands there, maybe Turner's Cross should get the nod from me. The seats are fresher than Tolka's at least. Just Dalymount is the Home of Irish Football and all.

But I havn't seen the new stand at Terryland Park and how it fits in to the original accomodation.

I think the curved stand at the Brandywell is the best looking stand in the eircom league. God Save the Football Trust.

MojoPin
17/04/2008, 11:01 PM
what do people thik of ramblers thsi yera i think ots a very neat loking ground of late with major plans for expansion and covering on the way!

BohsPartisan
17/04/2008, 11:05 PM
What is the criteria for a good stadium though? Is it pitch, the stands, the look, or the overall facilities? Dalyer has 3 bars which is hard to beat but other than that Turners X gets it.

twowheelsonly
17/04/2008, 11:08 PM
Don't know what the problem with link is. Worked ok for me the first time but won't work now. It's eircomloi.ie anyway.

I like Ramblers ground now as well but it still has a way to go to match up with some of the better grounds. The new stand is a fine job if a bit strange looking. (It's bigger at one end than the other!)

I've always liked Dalyer as well but it has been let go a lot over the years. Pity as it has the best potential of the lot.

Work is due to start on covering the St Annes end in TX in the next couple of weeks so that will be all four sides covered then.

BohsPartisan
17/04/2008, 11:09 PM
My fav away ground is still United Park because of the noise you can make in that shed.

Guitd
17/04/2008, 11:15 PM
has to be turners x but they could do with improving the playing surface looks better than what it is some players have said to me
terryland is great now with new stand and great pitch but the capacity is small at 3300 seats

BohsPartisan
17/04/2008, 11:22 PM
Its all very well stadia looking great though, they need to sound great IMO. Modern stadia are not built with atmosphere in mind. Standing areas with low tin roofs all the way!

Dunny
17/04/2008, 11:32 PM
what do people thik of ramblers thsi yera i think ots a very neat loking ground of late with major plans for expansion and covering on the way!

One too many?:D

gufcfan
18/04/2008, 3:18 AM
In the absense of Gortakeegan I voted for Turner's Cross.

oldyouth
18/04/2008, 7:10 AM
I think 1, was 1 too many.:D

Raheny Red
18/04/2008, 7:16 AM
My fav away ground is still United Park because of the noise you can make in that shed.

Agreed, really ****ed off that our league cup tie has been moved to Tolka :mad:

pete
18/04/2008, 9:50 AM
The cross is clearly the best as has 4 completed sides.
If Dalymount had 4 sides would be an option.

It always surprises me that so many people choose Tolka. It looks ok on TV but IMO is a terrible ground to attend as it very run down.

Monkfish
18/04/2008, 11:59 AM
Standing areas with low tin roofs all the way!

Jackman Park all the way! Drink and smoke what you want without fear of dirty looks from those who like to sit at games. :)

Dodge
18/04/2008, 12:06 PM
If Dalymount had 4 sides would be an option.

Nah, it'd need serious, serious work to 3 sides to even come close. Of the none 4 sided grounds go, Galway's is probably the best.

grounds I like include United Park and the Showgrounds in Sligo

GavinZac
18/04/2008, 12:19 PM
rounds I like include United ParkEr... why?

Dodge
18/04/2008, 12:26 PM
Small, tight to pitch. Usually a good Pats crowd and usuallya good atmosphere.

Obviously its a kip

GavinZac
18/04/2008, 12:28 PM
Small, tight to pitch. Usually a good Pats crowd and usuallya good atmosphere.

Obviously its a kip

Oh ok. Just think this poll is more directed at where it stands between "classy" and "kip", rather than how good of any away day it is. Cobh is a good away day but a terrible ground.

Dodge
18/04/2008, 12:31 PM
Oh ok. Just think this poll is more directed at where it stands between "classy" and "kip", rather than how good of any away day it is. Cobh is a good away day but a terrible ground.

I've already said that Turners Cross is by far the best. So much that I don't think there can even be a discussion

Thats why I differentiated between grounds I called the best (Cork, Galway), and other grounds I like, but are kips (Drogheda, Sligo).

Magicme
18/04/2008, 12:45 PM
The Wonderful Athlone Town Stadium wins it for me. The language filter wont let me give you its acronym.

lilywhite stu
18/04/2008, 12:46 PM
United park can create a good atmosphere but it is sooo run down it would be embarising to tell a foreigner that the current champions play there. Could they not even bother trying to make even steps on the main terrace when they were building the place? I think Oriel park(not biased or anything!) is good coz it obviously wasn't squeezed into a patch of wasteground like most LOI grounds seem to be. Its not great but at least you don't feel like you're in a third world country when you step throught the turnstiles(like you do in drogheda)

Dodge
18/04/2008, 1:34 PM
Its not great but at least you don't feel like you're in a third world country when you step throught the turnstiles(like you do in drogheda)

I'd have United ahead Oriel tbh. Was shocked at the state of it in pre season

pól-dcfc
18/04/2008, 2:20 PM
Which eijits voted for the Brandy??

TonyD
18/04/2008, 2:56 PM
Maybe a bit hard on yourselves there Pól ? I was quite impressed with the Brandywell any time I've been there. Nice main stand, which is the most that could be said about 99% of the grounds in the country. I agree with Dodge,Turners Cross is obviously way ahead of everything else. It's the only ground that a casual observer might see on the TV and think it looks like a proper football stadium. Pity the camera doesn't face the main stand though. (RTE were able to do this for live games a few years ago, why is it not possible now ?)

GavinZac
18/04/2008, 3:03 PM
Maybe a bit hard on yourselves there Pól ? I was quite impressed with the Brandywell any time I've been there. Nice main stand, which is the most that could be said about 99% of the grounds in the country. I agree with Dodge,Turners Cross is obviously way ahead of everything else. It's the only ground that a casual observer might see on the TV and think it looks like a proper football stadium. Pity the camera doesn't face the main stand though. (RTE were able to do this for live games a few years ago, why is it not possible now ?)

Previously the side that is now covered and visible on tv didn't have a roof on top of it. Since it was roofed, the previous "scaffolding" can't be erected any more, as it would need to be behind the stand, where there is only 5 or 6 feet of room, and would be so high as to require planning permission, it being directly behind a row of houses. It is a pity though, more pitch-side cameras on that side would obviously be a good thing.

Dodge
18/04/2008, 3:08 PM
Maybe a bit hard on yourselves there Pól ? I was quite impressed with the Brandywell any time I've been there. Nice main stand
Its horrendous in the "corners". Miles away from action and still greyhound traps in your view

deecay
18/04/2008, 3:56 PM
Ferrycarraig Park ???

sligoman
18/04/2008, 3:58 PM
Ferrycarraig Park ???Wexford Youths.

Keen2win
18/04/2008, 4:51 PM
Dalymount was probably the best I was at.

Should Flancare Park not have been given a mention, or am I just being biased :confused:

Dodge
18/04/2008, 5:08 PM
Dalymount was probably the best I was at.

Should Flancare Park not have been given a mention, or am I just being biased :confused:
I presume they're the only 2 grounds you've visited?

Keen2win
18/04/2008, 5:21 PM
I presume they're the only 2 grounds you've visited?

Eh, no I just thaught Flancare deserved a mention.

Martinho II
18/04/2008, 5:24 PM
The Wonderful Athlone Town Stadium wins it for me. The language filter wont let me give you its acronym.

like magicme I voted for scumlone..:)

pete
18/04/2008, 5:28 PM
Ferrycarraig Park ???

I had to look that up. :o

If as away fans we were put in the derelict terraces I might have a less favourable opinion of Dalymount.

Dodge
18/04/2008, 5:29 PM
Eh, no I just thaught Flancare deserved a mention.

It does. Dalymount doesn't

oldyouth
18/04/2008, 5:44 PM
Ferrycarraig Park ???
Not yet on the stadium but I would think the facilities and pitch(es) would hold their own against anything else out there

Dodge
18/04/2008, 6:07 PM
Not yet on the stadium but I would think the facilities and pitch(es) would hold their own against anything else out there
Ooh a pitch, how exciting for you

sligoman
18/04/2008, 6:10 PM
Not yet on the stadium but I would think the facilities and pitch(es) would hold their own against anything else out thereHe wasn't suggesting Ferrycarrig Park as the best stadium. Just wondering who's ground it is.

Candystripe
18/04/2008, 9:06 PM
I just voted for Turners X. Nothing comes near although the main stand in Dalymount is the best actual stand.

I also cant believe 38 ppl have voted for the Brandywell!!! (8% of 386 votes), granted we have a decent main stand which looks good on live TV and is almost always full- but WTF 38 ppl!

I agree it's a stupid poll as the cross is a country mile ahead of anything else we have.

EDIT........ Unless maybe ppl voted for what they believe which has the best atmosphere.

Paddyfield
18/04/2008, 9:13 PM
Turners Cross is the best looking stadium

St Mel's RIP

oldyouth
18/04/2008, 10:52 PM
Ooh a pitch, how exciting for you
Ask any of your lot who came down pre-season (and played us off the pitch) about the key elements in place such as clubhouse, changing rooms, all weather pitches, training pitch, car parking, team bus, floodlights etc and ask if they think we will be putting up any old tin shed on the basis of what they saw?? When planning permission is granted, we will continue to develop state of the art facilities, we don't do second best
Smart Ar*e

ndrog
19/04/2008, 12:43 PM
United park can create a good atmosphere but it is sooo run down it would be embarising to tell a foreigner that the current champions play there. Could they not even bother trying to make even steps on the main terrace when they were building the place? I think Oriel park(not biased or anything!) is good coz it obviously wasn't squeezed into a patch of wasteground like most LOI grounds seem to be. Its not great but at least you don't feel like you're in a third world country when you step throught the turnstiles(like you do in drogheda)

The fact is we havent spent a penny on the ground in years (stating the obvious maybe ) But oriel park is feck all better when it comes to the facilities , and there is a poxy atmosphere in the place .Forced out of a poxy muck lane with one exit and no lights ? We are all gonna end up in Irish football grounds with absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever .lots of the enjoyment will be taken away . If our move does happen im not looking forward to it , i know its neccesary but im not looking forward to watching games in an empty stadium .Give me our little kip any day :cool:

BohsPartisan
19/04/2008, 1:16 PM
Its not great but at least you don't feel like you're in a third world country when you step throught the turnstiles(like you do in drogheda)

Stranely enough, in Dundalk the reverse is the case. When you step out of the ground you feel like you're in a third world country! ;)

Raheny Red
20/04/2008, 2:02 PM
Ask any of your lot who came down pre-season (and played us off the pitch) about the key elements in place such as clubhouse, changing rooms, all weather pitches, training pitch, car parking, team bus, floodlights etc and ask if they think we will be putting up any old tin shed on the basis of what they saw?? When planning permission is granted, we will continue to develop state of the art facilities, we don't do second best

Though, on the other hand, a wine bar takes away from all the above developments.

oldyouth
20/04/2008, 8:17 PM
Though, on the other hand, a wine bar takes away from all the above developments.
How? It's not open as a 'wine bar' during games but you are more than welcome to buy some along with teas, coffees, soup, rolls etc. The whole club/clubhouse is family friendly and I don't ever see it turning in to a typical bar.

gael353
20/04/2008, 11:39 PM
Coleman park is a joke. I can't believe cobh get away with charging people 15 euro and put them in that "stand" opposite the main stand. Can't even see the game ffs

guess they saw you comming my friend :) Still, id gladly pay €15 to stay out of the slanty shanty which Queenstown have built

The Man Himself
21/04/2008, 9:25 AM
While the best pitch/worst pitch debate is going on there's also a poll on the Eircom/LOI site on the best Stadium in the country.
Turners Cross (35%) is ahead by a country mile at the moment with Tolka (17%) in second place.
BTW, Turners Cross outside wall is finally getting a long overdue lick of paint this week.

Poll is here, on the left hand side of screen;
http://www.eircomloi.ie:82/

turners cross is a dump,
must be only cork people voting here,
dalymount is 100 times better

Candystripe
21/04/2008, 10:00 AM
turners cross is a dump,
must be only cork people voting here,
dalymount is 100 times better

And this coming from a waterford fan :confused:

BTW I'm not a Cork fan.