PDA

View Full Version : When a player leaves City .......

Shelsman
22/07/2003, 1:12 PM
Why is it that when a player leaves Cork City that he is a Judas or whatever? This doesn't happen with other clubs to anything like the same degree it does in Cork ( exception of Peter Hutton going to Shels ).

If you were unhappy with your job ( for whatever reason ) no-one would blame you for going elsewhere.

Having all that said, when I was a young lad going to Shels matches I was really annoyed when a Shels player left for Bohs, but I was a teenager then and I don't imagine all the foot.ie users are teenagers.......

Tom Peppers
22/07/2003, 1:17 PM
The difference is that in cork we want players who will live and die for the team and it is obvious to any fan of cork city that when a player leaves our club despite the love we have for team and the good treatment they receive its obvious their heart wasnt in the job in the first place i.e. ALAN REYNOLDS

A face
22/07/2003, 1:17 PM
take the baite people .... take the baite :)

Peadar
22/07/2003, 1:36 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
This doesn't happen with other clubs to anything like the same degree it does in Cork

What a joke!
I'm sure the likes of Trevor Molloy and Co. are welcome in every Dublin ground.
Dream on.
Players who leave Cork City when they're on their last legs and have given great service to the club are treated very well. Players who walk away from the club because they think they're bigger than it soon get a slap of reality and the supporters of Cork City FC are entitled to remind them of this.

Ollie Cahill is likely to get 100 times more abuse now on Friday since you've brought this up.
It's all part of the game.

James
22/07/2003, 1:39 PM
* starts reprinting the JUDA$ posters* :) for friday

SÓC
22/07/2003, 1:44 PM
Why is it that when a player leaves Cork City that he is a Judas or whatever? This doesn't happen with other clubs to anything like the same degree it does in Cork ( exception of Peter Hutton going to Shels ).

If you were unhappy with your job ( for whatever reason ) no-one would blame you for going elsewhere.

Having all that said, when I was a young lad going to Shels matches I was really annoyed when a Shels player left for Bohs, but I was a teenager then and I don't imagine all the foot.ie users are teenagers.......

Naww bull crap, players who the take the money and run get a hard time, Phil Harrington got a great reception when he can back with Cobh.

Ruairi
22/07/2003, 1:45 PM
We even got a wave off him

Macy
22/07/2003, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by Tom Peppers
The difference is that in cork we want players who will live and die for the team and it is obvious to any fan of cork city that when a player leaves our club despite the love we have for team and the good treatment they receive its obvious their heart wasnt in the job in the first place i.e. ALAN REYNOLDS
You sign a rat like Reynolds what do you expect? He fooked off Waterford to join us, fooked us off to join youse, fooked youse off to join Rovers..... Thats what you get when you sign a mercenary....

The Sheliban
22/07/2003, 3:39 PM
Players will always gravitate to the highest level they think they can achieve. A player who is "loyal" usually can't get a higher wage anywhere else, and if he can, the extra cash is not enough to make him uproot his family etc.

If the company down the road offered me an extra 5000 a year to do the same job, I'd think "Well, my current employers don't value me particularly highly" and I'd be off like a shot.

That's the difference between fans and players. For fans it isn't their livelihood, so naturally they stay loyal to one club all their life. For players, they have family, wives, kids to think about.

Fans shouldn't expect loyalty from players. What they should expect is that a player should give 100% while at a club.

To be fair, most Judas taunts are not because of transfers, but the way in which the transfer was conducted, or if the player concerned made some disparaging comment about his previos club.

Peadar
22/07/2003, 3:50 PM
Hey Shels bloke what are you looking for, an apology for giving Cahill a hard time?
Don't hold you breath.
While we're on the subject of the differences between players and fans, here's another difference.
The players are paid to play football.
The fans pay to watch football.
It is the right of any fan to slag off a player from an opposing team. It is a God given right to slag off Judas'.
The players can put up with it or consider a career change.

Troy.McClure
22/07/2003, 4:12 PM
Originally posted by The Sheliban

To be fair, most Judas taunts are not because of transfers, but the way in which the transfer was conducted, or if the player concerned made some disparaging comment about his previos club.

Exactly, thats why Olli€ "I could never play for another club" Ca$hill is a Judas, thats why Derec 'I cant wait to get the fook out of this place' Coughlan is a judas and thats why Alan "I need to go to Dublin to improve my carier" (yet still stay part-time)Reynolds is a judas. Morley was a ledgend, thats why he got the judas treatment just like Figo at Barça, but went back to being a ledgend when he came home.

Dave Hill, Biscuts, Flanagan, Herrick or whoever would still get a good reception. You're only stirring cr@p ya messer! ;)

Shelsman
22/07/2003, 4:53 PM
Well said Sheliban.

As for all you Corkies, just TRY and deny the fact that most players who left City to go to a Dublin club have won trophies, or at the very least played much better because they were with a BETTER TEAM. If the same players stayed with Cork they would have won nothing. :D

If you were a player would you not want to win trophies?

Would you really rather see Damien Duff stay at Blackburn or think that Roy Keane would have been better off staying with Forest?

tiktok
22/07/2003, 4:59 PM
Sheliban, great last post, hit the nail on the head.

i realise that there was a bit of baiting in the original question but the treatment Skippy got after coming back from dublin lasted until he left the club, i don't have much of a problem with coughlan, reynolds and cahill were respectively our best players when they left and that (along with the idiotic statements they made) caused us all the more grief. we as city fans can be nasty.

Hill, Biscuits, herrick and kelvin might get a good reception, but thats only because in the case of the last two they got abuse while they were here and in the first two they weren't up to it anymore.

in all those cases we smiled and wished them luck because we didn't feel we were losing anything.

Éanna
22/07/2003, 5:42 PM
Well said Sheliban.

As for all you Corkies, just TRY and deny the fact that most players who left City to go to a Dublin club have won trophies, or at the very least played much better because they were with a BETTER TEAM. If the same players stayed with Cork they would have won nothing. :D

If you were a player would you not want to win trophies?

Would you really rather see Damien Duff stay at Blackburn or think that Roy Keane would have been better off staying with Forest?
you migh be right, but it doesn't mean we have to like it!!!! :) I think there are two things behind it really:
1. Anywhere in the world where a player leaves one club to go to a rival club, he is the target of abuse on his return; and seeing as a large amount of city fans dislike all dublin clubs its fairly obvious what is going to happen.
2. Probably also has something to do with the fact that Cork people regard Cork as the real capital, the peoples republic etc., i.e. the centre of the universe, and have contempt for anyone who wants to leave to somewhere as awful as Dublin :)

niamh
22/07/2003, 11:35 PM
I personally also do not see why Alan Reynolds is such an issue. He was a mercenary before he came to see. Sure he did well and could have stayed but he just did what he did to two other clubs before City. And he will probably do it again. City don't need that type of loyalty.

@ndy
23/07/2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Probably also has something to do with the fact that Cork people regard Cork as the real capital, the peoples republic etc., i.e. the centre of the universe, and have contempt for anyone who wants to leave to somewhere as awful as Dublin :)

lol

JDB
23/07/2003, 4:42 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
What a joke!
Players who leave Cork City when they're on their last legs and have given great service to the club are treated very well.

Rubbish! What about Declan Daly - a great servant to Cork City who, on his last legs, was treated very poorly by so called City fans last season.

Éanna
23/07/2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by niamh
I personally also do not see why Alan Reynolds is such an issue. He was a mercenary before he came to see. Sure he did well and could have stayed but he just did what he did to two other clubs before City. And he will probably do it again. City don't need that type of loyalty.
1. He agreed to sign for City, and then signed for Rovers behind Citys backs.
2. He went to Rovers. Nuff said :)

Éanna
23/07/2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by JDB
Rubbish! What about Declan Daly - a great servant to Cork City who, on his last legs, was treated very poorly by so called City fans last season.
Do you want to share any examples with us? I didn't make too many games last season cos I was away, but I didn't see Deccie get much abuse. I saw people get frustrated that a player who was clearly too old and unable to cope with this level of football kept starting matches.

Peadar
24/07/2003, 8:48 AM
Originally posted by JDB
Rubbish! What about Declan Daly...
...was treated very poorly by so called City fans last season.

We're talking about players who've left Cork City FC for another club you muppet.
Read the posts!
If Declan Daly was treated badly it was by a minority and certainly not very evident.

Dricky
24/07/2003, 9:08 AM
Why is it Shels can't keep there fans..... and before you start CCFC had the highest attendences and have had for a while now. years not months

Listen to the 'we are holier thou ****e. 'It's great that some players have gone to improve themselves play top class Maltase opposition and embarrassing themselves.

Dricky
24/07/2003, 9:16 AM
Originally posted by JDB

Face it, that was Gunther getting the grief for he's stubborn loyality.

We eat our own Children as well didn't you know that

The Sheliban
24/07/2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Dricky
Why is it Shels can't keep there fans..... and before you start CCFC had the highest attendences and have had for a while now. years not months

Listen to the 'we are holier thou ****e. 'It's great that some players have gone to improve themselves play top class Maltase opposition and embarrassing themselves.

Really don't understand this post at all. Are you on drugs?

Nobody mentioned crowd attendances. If it makes you happy, you have much better home support than us.

Nobody is saying anything about "holier than thou." I believe the original post merely highlighted the fact that whereas every club has the occasional "Judas", anyone who leaves Cork appears to fit into that category. Don't see why you need to take it as a personal attack.

Dricky
24/07/2003, 12:54 PM
Really don't understand this post at all. Are you on drugs?

Nobody mentioned crowd attendances. If it makes you happy, you have much better home support than us.

Nobody is saying anything about "holier than thou." I believe the original post merely highlighted the fact that whereas every club has the occasional "Judas", anyone who leaves Cork appears to fit into that category. Don't see why you need to take it as a personal attack.

It quite simple really it's a fact of life that player come and go some get abuse some don't but don't say it is not in your club.

The reason there maybe more abuse from cork fans is that there are more of them more fans more noise thus we don't hear the shels fans give abuse.

Then there was the comment about the cork players who go to Dublin to better themselves..... as Ollie did in Malta.

And to say he has improved there is ****** everyone know that Ollie is half the player he was. he's not feared anymore.

A stupid question was asked and it got a simalir question in return.

It's not taken as a personal attack, it's taken as one of the most stupid mails in a while.
What will be next the English fans don't have an element of Combat 18 about them.

Hope that clears up what was to be read between the lines.

And yes I am on drugs as many different types as possible.

The Sheliban
24/07/2003, 1:24 PM
Interesting point there.

Cork "Judases" get more abuse because there are more Cork fans?
By that logic then:
Cork managers get more acclaim, because there are more Cork fans?
Cork fans whinge about bad decisions more, because there are more Cork fans?
Cork fans cause more trouble because there are more Cork fans?
Cork fans roger more sheep because there are more Cork fans?

I think the point someone made about Ollie coming to Shels to better himself, was more tongue in cheek than serious, although I'm delighted to hear he's not feared any more. I was very critical of him last year, but this year he's showing great form. I hope you continue to underestimate him tomorrow night.:cool:

Keep taking the drugs, man.

Dricky
24/07/2003, 1:56 PM
Interesting point there.

Cork "Judases" get more abuse because there are more Cork fans?
By that logic then:
Cork managers get more acclaim, because there are more Cork fans?
Cork fans whinge about bad decisions more, because there are more Cork fans?

I think the point someone made about Ollie coming to Shels to better himself, was more tongue in cheek than serious, although I'm delighted to hear he's not feared any more. I was very critical of him last year, but this year he's showing great form. I hope you continue to underestimate him tomorrow night.:cool:

Keep taking the drugs, man.

Ollie 5 years ago that is the player you want not Ollie last year or this year.

So I can take it the More Cork fans there are the more people climb down off your Ma. Thanks for pointing that out.

I said read between the lines not snort the lines, the drugs are mine.

The Sheliban
24/07/2003, 2:12 PM
Originally posted by Dricky
Ollie 5 years ago that is the player you want not Ollie last year or this year.

So I can take it the More Cork fans there are the more people climb down off your Ma. Thanks for pointing that out.

I said read between the lines not snort the lines, the drugs are mine.

So you are saying that Ollie peaked five years ago, and was going downhill during his last three years at Cork?? Why then were you all annoyed he left?

The Cork fans cause more trouble....etc was simply using your own logic of "Cork fans give more abuse because there are more Cork fans." Total crap.

Sometimes I think Dodge has a point.:confused:

Dricky
24/07/2003, 3:03 PM
So you are saying that Ollie peaked five years ago, and was going downhill during his last three years at Cork?? Why then were you all annoyed he left?

The Cork fans cause more trouble....etc was simply using your own logic of "Cork fans give more abuse because there are more Cork fans." Total crap.

Sometimes I think Dodge has a point.:confused:

That was not using my logic, that was your logic. more people more noise yes I'm sure you agree. that was my point. final.
More people doesn't mean more trouble. except in Dublîn maybe that may be where you confused yourself.

I for one thought it was a good time for Ollie to go and if you check back on my post over the years you'll see that. I was ****ed off he wasn't sold. I thought his last year was a disgrace to the club.

So it okay to have tongue and cheek, but if we pull the **** it seen as Cork lads getting up on their high horse.

The problem was you just didn't get the little puns, your loss not mine not everything is black and white, open your brain or at least borrow one and then go back and if you can't see that I am pulling the **** in most of those statements well then you should stop using the internet it will do you no good.

Sorry forgot to add

Come on I'll fight ye I will....... sorry your logic is taking over....

tiktok
24/07/2003, 6:14 PM
Cork fans give what appears more abuse due to the standards of the players lost, going right back to Pat Morley, our first 'Judas'.

In nineteen years we have one league title, and we're sick of winning nothing. Because of our geography or lack of big money backers, we're slow to sign big names and tended historically to have at best maybe two players who would make an LOI XI. Other clubs only want our best players and what we get is the loss of players we've come to rely on hugely.

That situation has improved. Vitriol toward Ollie and Reynolds is because we know we'd be stronger with them still at the club.

Dolan is helping this along with the 'them and us' attitude he's breeding in the club. it's a well used motivational tool but we seem to hate everybody else in an incredible knee jerk reactionary way.

Sheliban is right, each club has 'judases', but city only have Morley, Coughlan, Ollie and Reynolds. That's four, but they are four players who at their time were essential, i'd argue our loss was greater than clubs who can afford to buy in great players immediately, but maybe we forgive and forget a little slower too.

Éanna
24/07/2003, 8:49 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
Dolan is helping this along with the 'them and us' attitude he's breeding in the club. it's a well used motivational tool but we seem to hate everybody else in an incredible knee jerk reactionary way.
that is a factor, but to be quite honet, my dislike of shels has existed for a lot longer than this, goes back to the 4 mins of injury time match. As for Pats, I still have a lot of time and respect for Pats and their fans, after Longford they are the Premier Div team I have most time for, and thats why this current bout of stupidity is so annoying.

JDB
25/07/2003, 4:00 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
We're talking about players who've left Cork City FC for another club you muppet.
Read the posts!

I'm talking about your comment on players who served Cork City Football Club extremely well over the years and your claim that they get treated kindly by City fans because of their years of service to the club. I was at almost every home game last year and there was not one game that Deckie wasn't barracked by a sizeable portion of the crowd when he launched yet another scud missile out of defence. It was sad to see such a great servant to the club winding down his career with certain City 'fans' treating him like dirt. Let's not pretend some so called City fans are any less fickle than other so called fans in this country and elsewhere. COME ON CITY!

PS Everyone loves Billy Woods now but it wasn't too long ago he was getting hassled by City 'fans' when he was playing poorly. That's the time to get behind your team not only when everyone's playing well and the team is winning.

Cityace
26/07/2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by JDB
I'm talking about your comment on players who served Cork City Football Club extremely well over the years and your claim that they get treated kindly by City fans because of their years of service to the club. I was at almost every home game last year and there was not one game that Deckie wasn't barracked by a sizeable portion of the crowd when he launched yet another scud missile out of defence. It was sad to see such a great servant to the club winding down his career with certain City 'fans' treating him like dirt. Let's not pretend some so called City fans are any less fickle than other so called fans in this country and elsewhere. COME ON CITY!

PS Everyone loves Billy Woods now but it wasn't too long ago he was getting hassled by City 'fans' when he was playing poorly. That's the time to get behind your team not only when everyone's playing well and the team is winning.

"when he launched yet another scud missile out of defence."

When you get a well past it player CONSTANTLY doing this, not even trying to make a decent pass, on the starting eleven abuse is gonna be thrown.The reason for the abuse was not to get at Daly, but to 1)try and get him to pass the bloody ball
2)Try and wake Gunther up.

Daly was a brilliant player in his day and if he made a mistake then we just clapped him on.

The reason for Cork people bieng more abusive to "Judas's" is because we expect our players to have heart and be proud to play for us.We expect them to feel the same way that they would if they were picked for the National team.We just have Heart down here.

The reason for more sheep bieng interfered with is not because there is more peoplr, there are more sheep!:eek: