PDA

View Full Version : Derry City

BrayUnknowns
17/04/2008, 1:51 PM
Another big game on Friday, can we get anything from it? the preformances have been getting better and more importantly the results have. Go with the same team as last week if everyones fit, it really seemed to disjoint Bohs and suited us down to the ground.

superfrank
17/04/2008, 3:09 PM
Looking at this, I don't think we can get anything from it. Unless Derry have an off day, like Bohs did last week.

We have started to get into shape a bit, since Pender's been dropped, but I still feel Derry will be too strong for us.

centre mid
17/04/2008, 3:12 PM
Is Ger Rowe fully fit, how much pre-season did he miss when frozen out at Rovers?

superfrank
17/04/2008, 3:49 PM
Team news only mentions Franco, Duggan and Emeika as being doubtful. No word of Rowe.

centre mid
17/04/2008, 4:05 PM
No i meant in General, he hasnt started like a house on fire. On another note it will be interesting to see what sort of reaction Clive Delaney will receive.

dublinwanderer
17/04/2008, 4:12 PM
No i meant in General, he hasnt started like a house on fire. On another note it will be interesting to see what sort of reaction Clive Delaney will receive.

to be honest i hope he doesnt get any reaction. if anyone was offered a full time contract they would prob jump at it. i dont blame him for it. i just didnt like derry's last minute move for him!! Foran has done well recently so hope we can keep hold of him for longer.

i doubt there'd be any changes made to the starting team, not sure whether it'l work against derry though but we'll see... one area i think we need to exploit against derry is there pace or lack of pace at the back. hutton and delaney are prob the slowest defenders in the league and also their keeper seems very dodgy, i'd put everything in on top of him, you'l get something from it.

wonder will franco join us in the stand if he is'nt playing!!!!:D

i think its taking rowe a little bit longer to get into his rythem obviously because he missed pre-season but hopefully he'l score soon and come good for us.

Bray Head
18/04/2008, 10:16 AM
Is Ger Rowe fully fit, how much pre-season did he miss when frozen out at Rovers?

I think Rowe has improved over the last couple of weeks. He had to do pre season training with Rovers reserves so was a bit behind the rest of the players at the start. He needs a goal now to kick start his season.

BrayUnknowns
18/04/2008, 10:59 AM
I think Rowe has improved over the last couple of weeks. He had to do pre season training with Rovers reserves so was a bit behind the rest of the players at the start. He needs a goal now to kick start his season.

Agreed, he is defo getting better over the past few games, ran his @rse into the ground last week... But he actually had no pre season with Rovers what so ever so i still think he's a bit behind the lads at the mo.

Hulsey
18/04/2008, 1:27 PM
If we can get Cawley playing as well as he can theres no reason why we can't get a result. He was brilliant last week v Bohs and no coincidence that it was the bast team performance of the season so far. If Cawley plays, we play simple as really

bray boy
18/04/2008, 8:55 PM
:cool: :D

thats the match report

superfrank
18/04/2008, 9:22 PM
Great result. Delighted with the performance. Great performance from Daz in particular.

Grey Boy
18/04/2008, 9:36 PM
Great performance, especially in the second half. Derry didn't trouble us much at all. Does anyone know how Duggan is, he had a great game. I was waiting for Delaney to pop up for a corner and get a goal for Derry before he got sent off. Do people on here still want Gormley gone?

centre mid
18/04/2008, 9:59 PM
Most people didnt in the first place, good run of performances and results now. Well done lads.

superfrank
18/04/2008, 10:33 PM
Do people on here still want Gormley gone?
Performances have improved. He's turned things around fair play to him.

At the time I was suggesting Gormley should go, we hadn't scored, and didn't look like scoring, in four games and we had one point from 12, including a 2-0 home defeat to UCD. If we hadn't scored against Harps, it would've been the nadir.

But since then we've scored three games running and the performance tonight was the best yet. We beat Harps, a big win, and we picked up points against the big teams. Can't complain with that at all.

One thing I do want to complain about, though, was the treatment of Clive Delaney by the Bray fans. He gave his everything for the club when he played for us. He captained our side greatly and he got vital goals last season. The way he was booed and insulted tonight was a disgrace.

centre mid
18/04/2008, 10:40 PM
didnt get any text alerts tonight, presume I'll get 3 in the morning :)

KR's Post
19/04/2008, 8:37 AM
One thing I do want to complain about, though, was the treatment of Clive Delaney by the Bray fans. He gave his everything for the club when he played for us. He captained our side greatly and he got vital goals last season. The way he was booed and insulted tonight was a disgrace.

Thats football, ye maybe he did serve as great captain but its not as if he was there for a long time and the way he exited, stabbed bray in the back. It's different when a player has been there years and was heralded a hero comes back (ie) Jason Byrne!

Superhoops
19/04/2008, 8:38 AM
.... Do people on here still want Gormley gone?
I don't think anyone actually wanted Eddie to go.

The point was that before the Harps game, things were looking grim. Not only had we had not scored but there appeared to be no team spirit, togetherness or organisation in the those first few games. Instilling those into a team is one of the manager's main jobs and if Eddie could not do it then it needed someone who could.

I am delighted, especially for Eddie who is BW through and through. Let's hope the revival keeps rockin and rollin.

Superhoops
19/04/2008, 8:45 AM
...One thing I do want to complain about, though, was the treatment of Clive Delaney by the Bray fans. He gave his everything for the club when he played for us. He captained our side greatly and he got vital goals last season. The way he was booed and insulted tonight was a disgrace.
I don't condone abusing players. Sure big Clive gave us everything last season and was our best player. But you have to contrast that against the disappointing way he walked out on us when he was needed.

Went down in my estimation after that. Had he give us another season especially with the three down situation it would have been different.

superfrank
19/04/2008, 1:52 PM
He had a chance to go to a bigger club and work with a manager he clearly has a good reportoire with. What player wouldn't want to take that opportunity?

He has no previous ties to our club. He was only with us for one season and in the end he's gone back to the team he came from.

The fans should be understanding instead of spiteful.

Superhoops
19/04/2008, 2:13 PM
He had a chance to go to a bigger club and work with a manager he clearly has a good reportoire with. What player wouldn't want to take that opportunity?.
That sounds like he only wanted to stay with Bray until something better came along. As he went back to Derry makes you wonder why he left in the first place.

....He was only with us for one season and in the end he's gone back to the team he came from.
If his intention was to only come for one season then he should have said so at the outset and gone the end of last season, not wait until 10 days before the season starts leaving us with little time or opportunity to replace him.

.....The fans should be understanding instead of spiteful.
I don't think fans are spiteful, I'm not, but I am disappointed that he used BW , a club that treated him well.

KR's Post
19/04/2008, 2:35 PM
Didn't he leave derry to move back closer to dublin in the first place!

superfrank
19/04/2008, 2:45 PM
That sounds like he only wanted to stay with Bray until something better came along. As he went back to Derry makes you wonder why he left in the first place.
He left Derry in the first place after Stephen Kenny had already left for Dunfermline. He must have wanted to get a clean start but staying in Ireland at the same time.

If his intention was to only come for one season then he should have said so at the outset and gone the end of last season, not wait until 10 days before the season starts leaving us with little time or opportunity to replace him.
He obviously didn't think that Kenny would lose his job at Dunfermline and that Derry would go through two managers before having Kenny return. The whole chain of events shows that he has a good working relationship with Stephen Kenny.

When Kenny returned to Ireland, the season was over. He didn't know Kenny would be back so that's why he committed to the club. It was over winter that, one way or another, Delaney knew Derry wanted him and he wanted to return to them. I don't think he's shown the club any disrespect, he's just following his heart. Players do it all the time.

Seagull
19/04/2008, 2:58 PM

Hang on Superfrank, aren't you one of these so called Ultras? Were they not part of the crowd abusing Delaney, proving just how small-minded people can be? Great display by the team last night.

superfrank
19/04/2008, 3:03 PM
Hang on Superfrank, aren't you one of these so called Ultras?
No. I don't do that anymore.

Seagull
19/04/2008, 5:07 PM
No. I don't do that anymore.

Fair enough.

lowflyingseagul
19/04/2008, 6:22 PM
who fvcking cares about delaney. don't blame him for going to derry but the way the lads at the back played last night i'm glad he's gone because they were superb

The Fox
19/04/2008, 7:01 PM
To be honest i dont blame Clive for moving back up for a last shot at winning titles. I dont think that he got much more than the banter that he would have expected last night - or indeed much more stick than most returning players would get going back to any club.
If people are worried about bad language etc why not move the ultras to the other end of the stand and make the southern end a family section?

Any word on Mark duggan - he would be a big loss if hes out for ages

dublinwanderer
20/04/2008, 3:39 PM
If people are worried about bad language etc why not move the ultras to the other end of the stand and make the southern end a family section?

em... no! if people don't like it they can move down the other end.:mad: we've always sung from that end of the ground and we aint moving!!!

as the match, it was a great result and good performance in the conditions. we tried to get the ball down and play it on the deck, and derry couldnt break down our defence. foran and doherty look like they are creating a good partnership and with daz at his best just sitting infront of them, he'l give them the protection from midfield that they'l need.

i hope rowe scores soon, he's a player that id he doesnt score his confidence will drop very quickly. was myler still injured?

Hulsey
21/04/2008, 4:19 PM
em... no! if people don't like it they can move down the other end.:mad: we've always sung from that end of the ground and we aint moving!!!

Exactly. To be honest I don't think we are a bad set of fans, never any trouble out of us and still we get slated for a few little curse words. Not as if we're saying anything extremely vulgar or aggressive, sure you'd hear and see a lot worse in most films. I can think of a few sets of fans off the top of my head who are a lot worse behaved than us so leave us do our thing, we're not hurting anyone

Rant over :p

Seagull
21/04/2008, 8:56 PM
Exactly. To be honest I don't think we are a bad set of fans, never any trouble out of us and still we get slated for a few little curse words. Not as if we're saying anything extremely vulgar or aggressive, sure you'd hear and see a lot worse in most films. I can think of a few sets of fans off the top of my head who are a lot worse behaved than us so leave us do our thing, we're not hurting anyone

Rant over :p
That's not a rant! No-one's 'slating you for a few little curse words'. The abuse of Delaney on Friday night was out of order. Wanderers fans never resorted to this before. Delaney was a fine captain and deserved respect, a small-minded minority couldn't give him that. This season though, abuse directed at players on the pitch seems to be becoming the norm. You can support your team without descending to that. Wanderers always portrayed themselves as a family club and you have to remember there are lots of children at the games, the club gives tickets to schools and schoolboy clubs as far as I know. Keep up the singing, the flags etc, just less personal abuse please. That's just my opinion.

lowflyingseagul
22/04/2008, 8:48 AM
That's not a rant! No-one's 'slating you for a few little curse words'. The abuse of Delaney on Friday night was out of order. Wanderers fans never resorted to this before. Delaney was a fine captain and deserved respect, a small-minded minority couldn't give him that. This season though, abuse directed at players on the pitch seems to be becoming the norm. You can support your team without descending to that. Wanderers always portrayed themselves as a family club and you have to remember there are lots of children at the games, the club gives tickets to schools and schoolboy clubs as far as I know. Keep up the singing, the flags etc, just less personal abuse please. That's just my opinion.

what a load of rubbish. he's an ex player and it seemed to me like a bit of fun. ex-players going back to a former club always get a bit of extra attention.
it's only really ex rovers or bohs players going back to tolka or dalymount where the personal abuse goes way too far. last friday is not even worth mentioning.

the supporters in that part of the ground do seem a bit more up for it this season and more power to them as i sit on the opposite side of the ground and you can really hear the fans singing this year so all credit to them.

Hulsey
22/04/2008, 12:30 PM

Ok thats your opinion and your entitled to it, but lets face it, it was hardly personal abuse that Delaney suffered on Friday night. And yes he played well for us, but by the sounds of it he wasn't exactly honest with the transfer dealing with Derry, I don't hold moving to a full-time set up against him at all personally, it's the manner of the move which left a sour taste. And as for the fans never resorting to abusing former players before, the name Paul Keegan mean anything to you? EVERY club does that, and I don't see a problem with the little bit of banter which went on, nothing excessive was said calling someone a w@nker is hardly personal abuse now is it? You'd swear we were doing the same as the idiots who had a pop at Simon Webb for the tradgedy he had to face. Thats personal abuse, not what was directed at Clive on friday night.

And as for the kids at the games, its up to the parents to protect their kids from what they consider inappropriate, I know if I had kids and I didn't want them to hear the language I'd have them sit somewhere that they either won't hear it or the amount they do hear will be kept to a minimum. I can't understand how people allow their kids to sit so near what they deam to be unacceptable and then complain about it instead of taking action and just not siting near the area this stuff is coming from.

Everyones entitled to their own opinion, thats just mine

Grey Boy
22/04/2008, 6:59 PM
I didn't think Delaney had too bad a time of it really. All I remember him getting was Clive Delaney you're a w... Pretty harmless really. Did you not hear Ger Rowes dogs abuse from the Rovers fans.

But as Seagull says there's some very unnecessary stuff being shouted out as well. I'm not trying to be all PC but it's excessive at times that's all. Maybe some of the more mature ones in there can point it out to some of the younger ones as they say it. It's not good enough to tell other people to move off somewhere else. If we do want to attract families or Dads with sons and they don't come back as a result of (and I stress) excessive language then that's a responsibility of the people who do it.

Personally I don't really care but I do see people with kids (presumably 1st timers) who are shocked when they see 10 year olds calling the ref a c*** and so on.

BrayUnknowns
22/04/2008, 7:48 PM
Don't think what was said to Delaney was bad at all, well frm what i heard any way.... Clive Delaney is a w@nk*r was as much as what was said... Rowe got far worse out in Tolka against Rovers.

But in other cases i think some of the stuff said is needless, especially when there are family's around...