PDA

View Full Version : Even Kinger backs us up!

Neil
21/07/2003, 11:02 PM
Just seen it there on TV3... what a fúckin joke.

There was no way on earth that it was a penalty.
A free out for holding looked the most likely result. even if Carey handled it (which I don't think he did), it COULD NOT have been intentional.

It seems to me, and I heard John Frost mention this on RedFM, that the ref felt he had to give Waterford something because they had "claims" earlier for "penalties" for 2 other accidental handballs. It shows the sign of a bad referee when he lets that get to him.

That scut Mark Clifford was trying to be the hard man too in the melee after the penalty was given. Must hold a bit of a grudge coz City never thought he was good enough? RAMBLERS REJECT!

McKeon has to be given a long holiday from Refereeing eL games after this.

SÓC
21/07/2003, 11:07 PM
The Waterford player didnt even appeal for it until he realize the Ref had given it.

They showed no shots of the Rebel Army flag and smoke display.

Neil
21/07/2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
They showed no shots of the Rebel Army flag and smoke display.
With the camera work that we've come to expect from TV3 you're lucky to see the goals! I don't like criticising TV3 too much because I say fair play to them for doing the eL Weekly BUT the coverage has to improve. Surely it's not that hard to get a proper camera man?

Colm
21/07/2003, 11:29 PM
I think that could well rank as the worst refereeing decision I have ever witnessed.
I was sure that it wasn't a peno the other night but I was a good bit away from it so I thought that maybe I was wrong. However, having now seen it on TV, I can't believe how much of a robbery took place.
Some of the decisions that have gone against us this season have been disgraceful, most notably the aforementioned penalty incident and Jim O'Neill's refusal to give us a peno away to Bohs despite the linesman flagging for it. Also, some of the ref's decisions in the LC semi were mind boggling.

Dolan is right about the way we are being treated, it is unacceptable.
The only question in my mind is, are we suffering because of Dublin bias or just sheer incompetance? I think it is a combination of both!

RedX
21/07/2003, 11:52 PM
I thought the highlights programme tonight was terrible.When they were showing the City game they could not show Georgie off-side so how can Noel King make a decent assesment on it?Neil..you said you do not like giving out about TV3 because fair play to them for showing eircom league highlights.I dont agree, because being honest i would prefer if they did not do the programme, if thats the amateur way they are going to carry on.Noel King(in fairness had a good night)was clearly suffering with his throat and yet they could not even find a replacement for him?

City were robbed against Waterford with a disgraceful penalty decision.Knowing the league he will probably be reffing Friday nights game against Shels(god help him if he is).This is the umpteenth time he has been poor, reffereeing a City game.Hopefully something will be done about him.Sometimes you would not blame people from turning there noses up at eircom league games when they see that sort of dribble coming from a ref.Its enough to put anyone off.For f**ks sake this has been happening to City for years and probably a lot of other league clubs too.....

Éanna
22/07/2003, 12:05 AM
I think its time to stop giving out about the refs and start questioning pat kelly's role in all this. The guy is supposed to be the referees assessor so it is 100% his responsibility if these guys get away with it. The guy is obviously totally incompetent. Judging by what he's let pass for "refereeing" so far this season the guy isn't fit to assess what 1+1 is bloody well equal to. It starts here and it starts now- PAT KELLY OUT!:mad: :mad:

tiktok
22/07/2003, 12:16 AM
i think that's a fair point, if a referree is consistently grabbing the highlights for a game then you've got to ask questions about his abilities and the observations that are handed to the FAI .

unfortunately, i think one of the problems is the lack of refs that are available to fill in the gap if someone is asked to "take a seat' for a few games as happened with Jim O'Neill earlier on.

Éanna
22/07/2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
unfortunately, i think one of the problems is the lack of refs that are available to fill in the gap if someone is asked to "take a seat' for a few games as happened with Jim O'Neill earlier on.
Yeah, also a fair point. But look at it this way- players who do wrong are suspended and their names are published in the list of suspensions. Surely with the advent of TV3 highlights etc, the referees assessor should be able make some kind of statement re the really bad decisions such as mckeons v waterford.

Ali-G
22/07/2003, 8:28 AM
Saw it on the TV aswell last night, an unbelievable decision. It's just as well that we didnt have that good of a view of it last Friday night, or there would have been war. No wonder the City players, and Devine especially, went nuts.

Referees have been consistently atrocious in the EL for years, its not a bias against City. (UCD had a definite peno in the Cross this year, waved away by the ref). I bet every club have their sob stories.

City got what they deserved last Friday though, they sat back in the second half, and got flahed by Waterford. We didnt deserve anything from the game, just a pity that it was such a crap ruling that decided it.

If we still had Reynolds, we would win the league this year.

James
22/07/2003, 8:36 AM
just on the smoke and flags etc
chorus do a much much better job showing crowd shots etc in their highlights package. granted they have 30mins on every city match so have much more time to show things as opposed to TV3's rushed effort
i'd prefer more match coverage and less kinger comments

NorthoftheLee
22/07/2003, 8:38 AM
watched it on corus last nite as well as tv3 and the corus highlights were much better. (well longer anyway) But they did have a few shots of the flags and smoke. Their mics were next to the 20 waterford fans up the back of the stand who were trying to make noise so it sounded like they were creating a good atmosphere. But for those of us who were there, the truth is known. We saw some interviews being done after the game too but no one showed them. Too controversial i'd say..well if pat was involved anyway....He gave the ref some doing and rightly so.

Easily knowing Mr King was sick last nite....he did agree that it was a disgrace.....

The Sheliban
22/07/2003, 9:18 AM
Saw it on telly last night. Looked a very harsh decision all right. Not quite "the worst decision I've ever seen". [Think back to the penalty Cork were given at home to Shels last year. Great tackle by Kevin Doherty] but a bad one nonetheless.

However, by concentrating on that one decision, could you be glossing over your own performance? In order to get pennos, you need to get the ball into your opponents area. Also, in order to concede pennos, you need to allow your opponents into your own area. Same way, if you don't score goals, you don't win matches.

Incidentally, these pro-Dublin refs haven't given Shels a penno since the beginning of last season.:)

Neil
22/07/2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by The Sheliban
In order to get pennos, you need to get the ball into your opponents area.

Yeah, we've tried getting penos out around the centre circle but we never seem to get em :confused: :confused:

Neil
22/07/2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by RedX
Neil..you said you do not like giving out about TV3 because fair play to them for showing eircom league highlights.I dont agree, because being honest i would prefer if they did not do the programme, if thats the amateur way they are going to carry on.
It depends which way ya look at it...

I, being an eL fan anyway, want to see the highlights on a Monday night.

But

The barstooler watching those highlights will only have more amunition to knock the eL with.

Peadar
22/07/2003, 10:31 AM
Incidentally, these pro-Dublin refs haven't given Shels a penno since the beginning of last season.:)

Haven't you heard?
Due to cutbacks enforced by the Shelbourne accountant, no brown envelopes have been purchased since 2001.
When the supply ran out Shels mysteriously stopped getting penalty decisions.
(FAI Rule 36.1 A: No bribe shall be accepted by any official unless enclosed in a regulation Brown Envelope)

McKeon is bound to give Waterford the decision since he knows all the squad from "Butt Ugly Camp".

(Butt Ugly Camp is like a normal summer camp but for extremely ugly people.)

A face
22/07/2003, 12:47 PM
Footage being used by TV3 is not always theirs, hense the poor quality. They use whatever footage they can (within reason). You cant blame them for the camera work as it is not their camera men. And i'd agrue the case about the camera work aswell, It is not five mins, it is 45 mins trying to forecast what will happen next and anticipate where the players with end up. Basically it is harder than it looks and if you dont notice it normally then that is a sign that it is a good camera man.

But yeah .... standards should improve. The clubs could do more.

Gary
22/07/2003, 1:01 PM
For what its worth. I thought it was a penalty for handball then, and i still do. Carey handled the ball end of story.

Lads its a loss. One loss. I wouldnt be getting as uptight as all that at all. It was a local derby. Form guides are not an indicator for local derbies. We will beat shels on friday comfortably, and beat derry equally comfortably a few days later, putting us back into a good position.

NorthoftheLee
22/07/2003, 1:43 PM
GWA as they say ,

You should have gone to Specsavers! ;)

Colm
22/07/2003, 1:57 PM
Originally posted by GWA
I thought it was a penalty for handball then, and i still do.

I'd say you'd really want to take another very close look at it, I can't understand how you came to that conclusion!

Originally posted by GWA
We will beat shels on friday comfortably

Sssshhhh, you'll jinx us!:)

Éanna
22/07/2003, 5:26 PM
in order to concede pennos, you need to allow your opponents into your own area.
fair point; but if the ball had been cleared (or we'd got a free out), we would have come out of the RSC thinking we got a draw which we more or less deserved (Connor made two unreal saves) instead we come out with nothing and it was robbery :mad: As for Shels relationship with referees- I'm far more concerned about Shels bullying referees than I am about them getting penalties

Soko
22/07/2003, 7:04 PM
Saw it on telly last night. Looked a very harsh decision all right. Not quite "the worst decision I've ever seen". [Think back to the penalty Cork were given at home to Shels last year. Great tackle by Kevin Doherty] but a bad one nonetheless.

But Doherty did'nt touch the ball?

Originally posted by GWA
Carey handled the ball end of story.

Thats what I thought originally but then it looked like he gave it for dragging or pushing the waterford player. I thought it was ridiculous still though as it was ball to hand from about 3 yards.

Having seen it on tv I am even more gobsmacked that a penalty was awarded. Pat Kelly should be held responsible for these brainles morons however he is too incompetent himself to bring disciplinary procedures against any of them.

How long did it take him to bring Jim O Neill before him to explain why Heary wasnt reported for pushing him in Turners Cross?

Soko
22/07/2003, 7:14 PM
Originally posted by Ali-G

If we still had Reynolds, we would win the league this year.

Rubbish. I dont deny that with a creative midfielder we could win the league but Reynolds was never that type of player.

To be honest I was'nt dissapointed when he left (except for his comments scumbag :mad: ) as I thought we would replace him with a quality midfielder. Still waiting Pat.

Éanna
22/07/2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Soko
Rubbish. I dont deny that with a creative midfielder we could win the league but Reynolds was never that type of player.

To be honest I was'nt dissapointed when he left (except for his comments scumbag :mad: ) as I thought we would replace him with a quality midfielder. Still waiting Pat.
Reynolds is one of the best midfielders in the country unfortuneatly, and he is creative. I hate saying it but i think we would win the league if we had him. Still if he doesn't want to play for us, fukk him