PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity

pete
15/04/2008, 8:41 PM
We have made some changes at work so we are now in smaller space. The amount of static electricity has increased a huge amount & really annoying get a "shock" several times a day off almost any item.

Does anyone know what causes this & any possible solutions?

I read it is possibly caused by lack of moisture in the air... :confused:

A face
15/04/2008, 9:17 PM
I think its probably your shoes. I used to get it all the time in the car. I'd get out to put in some petrol, completely forget about it and jump about a foot off the ground if i had been driving for a while. Not good :(

Magicme
15/04/2008, 9:24 PM
Thats shocking!

I suffer from high static too. Get shocks if I press the buttons to get in a lift and same with buttons in it. Also get it from the metal of the freezers in most supermarkets but am grounded if touch the glass first. Trolleys do it to me too and car sometimes.

Its horrible!

Paddyfield
15/04/2008, 9:43 PM
Thats shocking!

I suffer from high static too. Get shocks if I press the buttons to get in a lift and same with buttons in it. Also get it from the metal of the freezers in most supermarkets but am grounded if touch the glass first. Trolleys do it to me too and car sometimes.

Its horrible!

Same here. Even when I'm handing money over in a shop. Shopping trollies can really pi$$ me off as I might get dozens of shocks whilst nipping around Dunnes. On a recent flight, my 2 year old daughter's hair went crazy with static.
Someone suggested I buy Ecco shoes but it didn't help.

Stevo Da Gull
15/04/2008, 10:12 PM
I'm afraid I can offer no solutions, but over the last 6 months I've been getting shocks a lot more regularly. It'll happen once in a while that when I take my t-shirt off at night it lights up the room (similar to the strength of light off of a mobile phone screen) for a second or two ... is that normal? :eek:

Raheny Red
16/04/2008, 9:01 AM
Yizzer all freaks......

monutdfc
16/04/2008, 9:15 AM
Touch your keys (or any pointy metal thing) in your pocket regularly and it will discharge the static.
Also, try different shoes; rubber soled shoes will not allow the static to discharge so it builds up. Leather soled shoes should help.

My guess is it's caused by a new floor covering.

noby
16/04/2008, 9:17 AM
Drink plenty of water too. And don't go prodding your motherboard.

Schumi
16/04/2008, 9:17 AM
any possible solutions?Wear gloves?

Block G Raptor
16/04/2008, 9:21 AM
Thats shocking!

Its horrible!

That'll be the satin underwear so

pete
16/04/2008, 9:21 AM
Wear gloves?

Just to clarify this is happening to everyone in the office. Suggestion that we are now in a smaller space with less windows to open so less moisture in the air. Going to suggest we get a water fountain :D

GavinZac
16/04/2008, 9:25 AM
I think its probably your shoes. I used to get it all the time in the car. I'd get out to put in some petrol, completely forget about it and jump about a foot off the ground if i had been driving for a while. Not good :(

You'd want to be careful with that, thats how explosions happen at petrol stations, not mobile phones/etc. Make sure you touch the roof on the other side of the car before you go at the tank. Small thing, but it negates any danger.

It happens more to women because they're more likely to have some fancy interior, and more likely not to close the drivers door behind them (i.e. by touching it outside and pushing it in, stopping any charge).

dublinred
16/04/2008, 9:32 AM
Had this for years and have learnt to try and get around , biggest factor at work is rubber soled shoes , carpets and how you sit at your desk if you keep moving your feet whilst sitting you are building up the charge, i also avoid wearing wool coats/fleeces as these are lethal also , I always try to touch wooden objects before metal now when in kitchens or prior to using lifts or metal door handles , I also have given people shocks by shaking hands which can be both funny and embarassing.

paul_oshea
16/04/2008, 10:02 AM
It can definitely happen from the type of shoes and the type of carpet.

I also notice it can happen in summer more, I remember a year or so ago, everytime i got out of the car or touched a car I would get a shock, can be really annoying cos you forget about it, other times then ye know its going to happen but ye still get a fright :D

dublinred
16/04/2008, 10:09 AM
It can definitely happen from the type of shoes and the type of carpet.

I also notice it can happen in summer more, I remember a year or so ago, everytime i got out of the car or touched a car I would get a shock, can be really annoying cos you forget about it, other times then ye know its going to happen but ye still get a fright :D

for some bizarre reason rubber car mats can stop the build up of static when in the car.

Bluebeard
16/04/2008, 10:11 AM
Has been hapening me too for years, regardless of shoes, carpet, location, etc. To this day I cannot bring myself to touch the metal bannister in HMV on Grafton St.

Recently electrocuted my girlfriend when I went to kiss her on the cheek. I remember playing regular "friendly" basketball games for a few years wth a guy who had some kind of polyester or Nylon top. He would regularly be electrocuted when trying to tackle me, or vice versa. I'm thinking about getting a suit made and becoming a superhero - Electro-Stasis or something like that as a name. Villains wearing polyester or Nylon tops attempting to escape over wool carpets everywhere - beware!

Block G Raptor
16/04/2008, 10:24 AM
Has been hapening me too for years, regardless of shoes, carpet, location, etc. To this day I cannot bring myself to touch the metal bannister in HMV on Grafton St.

Recently electrocuted my girlfriend when I went to kiss her on the cheek. I remember playing regular "friendly" basketball games for a few years wth a guy who had some kind of polyester or Nylon top. He would regularly be electrocuted when trying to tackle me, or vice versa. I'm thinking about getting a suit made and becoming a superhero - Electro-Stasis or something like that as a name. Villains wearing polyester or Nylon tops attempting to escape over wool carpets everywhere - beware!

Is this (http://www.stardestroyer.net/ROTS/Yoda-1.jpg) you Bluebeard?

kingdom hoop
16/04/2008, 10:38 AM
Electro-Stasis or something like that as a name.

'Bolt From The Blue' seems appropriate too!

(Mr Raptor your link is broke, I think)

Block G Raptor
16/04/2008, 10:44 AM
(Mr Raptor your link is broke, I think)

Works for me :confused: what happens when you click it

pete
16/04/2008, 10:50 AM
Works for me :confused: what happens when you click it

Looking for local machine 127.0.0.1. You have added the URL correctly though but address seems invalid.

kingdom hoop
16/04/2008, 10:54 AM
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1., apparently.

Not to worry, I'd rather avoid any images of Bluebeard in tight clothing.

GavinZac
16/04/2008, 10:55 AM
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Block G Raptor
16/04/2008, 10:56 AM
Fixed it now
Bluebeard Is this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/punkboi/Parno2/yoda_blasted.jpg) Your doing ?

Magicme
16/04/2008, 1:25 PM
That'll be the satin underwear so

Oi I told you before not to be perving in my bedroom window!

I have come up with a novel way of getting into lifts if am on my own, i use my foot to push the button and same when inside the lift.

Bluebeard, I get shocks like that when I kiss my son too.

Kingdom, bolt from the blue is the best name for him alright!

Bluebeard
16/04/2008, 2:56 PM
Fixed it now
Bluebeard Is this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/punkboi/Parno2/yoda_blasted.jpg) Your doing ?

Yeah, that's me in HMV the morning after the last foot.ie meet-up. (Knew I should have shaved my ears...)