PDA

View Full Version : team captain

max power
21/07/2003, 12:19 PM
i'm going to throw this one out and see what the reaction is, i think brian mcgovern should be made team captain as he is a leader and marshells the back line , the first time i seen him was against kildare in the league cup and he was shouting and getting things done even then, he is a good defender a leader and he scores goals too, he is in my view an ideal selection for captain and i know he is on loan but i think he should be signed as soon as possible !!!!!!

Xlex
21/07/2003, 12:53 PM
Barry's my Team Captain, He'll row into the role...

Better offer him a contract extension soon and off course Mc has to be signed...

max power
21/07/2003, 12:56 PM
yeah barry is a good player, but you never hear him talking or getting people into position, i don't think he is a leader, but i do think brian is, he talks ,he shouts and he gets things done at the back, we are doing a lot better since he came on board, and give him a contract now !!!!!

Maz
21/07/2003, 7:06 PM
i think we already have the best man for the job...Barry is a great player and so far this season he has kept the back four together and seems to be a good motivator..

max power
22/07/2003, 9:30 AM
are you watching the same player i am he can't pass and he never opens his mouth

Xlex
22/07/2003, 11:44 AM
easy on there DJ.

God knows what happens off the field, Brian Mc has the on-field qualities of a Captain. Barry was made Captain last season and it heralded a reform in his attitude. He has played at a high level and he is one of those footballers who likes to play ball, he might not be the loudest on the field but he is probably a good calming and positive presence in the dressing room and at training. We have may good leaders on the field... Digger, Brian Mc and Barry to name but a few, Barry likes the captaincy and I know it that he's keen on it, now just hand the guy a new contract before we lose him...

Macy
22/07/2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Xlex
now just hand the guy a new contract before we lose him...
ditto McGovern if possible (if Pats will let him!) and Barrett....

Xlex
22/07/2003, 11:50 AM
If we manage to hold on to McGovern and he isn't recalled we'll be fine...

Barrett will get his contract...

max power
22/07/2003, 11:59 AM
mcgovern is the man of the moment at the club, if you don't let in goals you don't lose games thats a simple fact, he is doing the business at the back that allows kibry, barrett and co do the business up front.

himself and barry make a good partnership but i think brian is a leader more than barry, that is not putting barry down, the only thng i don't like about barry is his passing - it is woefull.

Macy
22/07/2003, 1:01 PM
Some of the games I've seen this season, Barry has looked like the only footballer on the team.....

I don't see how you can give someone on loan the team captaincy, for team morale and perhaps more importantly for Barry's morale.... He's done nothing wrong and yet you want to take the captaincy off him!?! If you give to players in form, potentially we'll have a different captain every other week...

max power
22/07/2003, 1:37 PM
as i've said before brian should if possible be signed by the club on a full time basis, barry got the captains band from someone ekse, what about their morale and from what i've heard it wasn't a popular choice within the camp to give him the captaincy anyway, all i said was that he is too quiet on the pitch and he is a bad passer of the ball...... if you mess up you need to be told.

Xlex
22/07/2003, 1:50 PM
:rolleyes:

It was a long time since we had a reliable and suitable captain on the field, it flitted between people and there was no stability, there is no need to remove the Captaincy from Barry and I don't think it's going to happen, hopefully Barry will become the rock of consistancy in the Longford town team, he is a footballer who doesn't pressurise players and gets on with it, you bring up the subject and haggle with it and then come out with a nothing statement like 'it wasn't a popular decision', I refuse to believe that the Longford town squad is as childish as a lot of people seem to think...

You have posed a nothing question and because nobody has agreed with you, you have become bitter and the tone of your posts are reflecting this....

Macy
22/07/2003, 2:13 PM
Barry got it when Vinny was injured/ suspended as far as I can remember and seeing as he can't get in the team at the moment I hardly see how he could be that fooked off..... And I don't see who would've been that put out - who were the other candidates? Digger maybe, but I'd rather an out field player had the arm band....

Name and shame those in the dressing room who are petty enough to get p!ssed off about who is captain. It can't be a question of quality - Wes Byrne had it for long enough....

Barry has come on leaps and bounds since being made captain, particularly discipline wise - you are making an issue, and starting rumours of an issue, where there isn't one.....

btw How has Barry has got a worse player as this thread has gone on?

max power
22/07/2003, 6:33 PM
wasn't given specific names, barry has come on well espcailly as you said in decipline, but i've seen something in brian that shows he is a leader, i agree that it should be an outfield player.

on another point i think vinny should be in the starting line up for every game, he is the only one in the middle who can make a decent tackle. but i suppose nobody will agree with that either???

Maz
22/07/2003, 7:12 PM
Originally posted by the dj
are you watching the same player i am he can't pass and he never opens his mouth

i should hope so or i ave been payin 2 see the wrong team all season...but everyone else seems to disagree with you! Granted Barry hoofs the balls in to the air but that can be worked on...Putting Brian McGovern as captain would b a bad decision b4 he even signs!

Xlex
23/07/2003, 8:07 AM
Originally posted by the dj
on another point i think vinny should be in the starting line up for every game, he is the only one in the middle who can make a decent tackle. but i suppose nobody will agree with that either???

thought the middle was doing well against rovers, it sometimes seems that playing Vinny in bits and pieces gets the most out of him.

I thought the team played very well against Rovers and the form players were in the first eleven, who would have thought Darragh and Pip would have steamed rolled Reynolds and the other guy, Cowell... I think Darragh played as much a part in the victory as alot would have given credit for...

max power
23/07/2003, 9:04 AM
had to work so i didn't get to the game and on a seperate point why did tv3 not show the game on monday, for someone who can't make it to games that is the only way for me to see the goals, its only 2 miles from there hq afterall ?????

Xlex
23/07/2003, 9:17 AM
I never see the TV3 programme, Kinger and all his ****e talk, it on late too. The goals were all great efforts but Barrett's run for Keogh's goal was out of this word.

On Darragh, he annoying style worked so well against Reynolds and should have had him sent of in the First half, Darragh was great against Rovers.

Macy
23/07/2003, 9:17 AM
I think Darragh played as much a part in the victory as alot would have given credit for...
I don't believe you, you're a liar......

Xlex
23/07/2003, 9:22 AM
I ain't going to shoot myself in da two feet over that statement, but I'm standing by it.... He has a great game...

max power
23/07/2003, 9:36 AM
so xlex what your saying is, darragh played well and there was no cameras there to see it ????? i think there is a bit of a cover up to make darrgh look better, are you sure tis not a pr stunt to endear him to the fans ?????

Xlex
23/07/2003, 10:46 AM
I was amazed, nobody else could have has such a negative effect on Reynolds...

he was with the pace of the game and for once his yellow card was not for his accustomed back chat but because of the purpose in his game, for his part, Reynolds should have walked...

Reynolds ran his studs down Sheridans chest and he was on a yellow at the time... I was nervous when Vinny came on, he hadn't the pace to come into the game and we missed Darragh... Brian Byrne was left on the bench, would have thought he should have come on, he was the only one tackling against the Drogs...

drummer boy
23/07/2003, 12:04 PM
i couldn believe that brian bryne has been on the bench for the last two games and didnt even get on. in fairness darragh was alright and he lost his temper with reynolds and took no sh*t from him, which is unusual. I think mc govern or kirbs but probably mc govern would be the best captain. the first thing that comes into barrys mind when the ball comes near him is, hoof it up in the air or give a dodgy pass back to dempsey, thats one way of getting the blood ushing. i worry when i see hinm going for the ball unless its in the air, because he has a very good header.

Éanna
23/07/2003, 10:35 PM
I was amazed, nobody else could have has such a negative effect on Reynolds...
hmmmmm, how about the Shed on 26/08/03. Can't wait to see ya alan :) :mad: