PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a good album...

thischarmingman
14/04/2008, 5:38 PM
...any genre. Leave out any of the big obvious ones like Sergeant Pepper's, Dark Side of the Moon, Blonde on Blonde and um...Big Willie Style, please.

One per person, I don't care what year, decade, century it's from, nor genre, country, gender, or critical acclaim. Just tell me what the album is and why I absolutely have to listen to it because it's such a brilliant album.

superfrank
14/04/2008, 6:16 PM
First one it appears...

Funkadelic by Funkadelic.

It's a brilliant album. It's a mix of psychedelic rock, blues and funk. All the songs are about 6 or 7 minutes long but they are all great. It's got plenty of guitar solos and lotsa deep bass. The vocals are gospel and the drums are funky. Think Jimi Hendrix, The Yardbirds and a bit of soul thrown in for good measure. It's, simply put, a brilliant album.

PS I saw a copy of it in Tower Records (under soul) on Wicklow Street not too long ago. Not too far from your part of town.

tetsujin1979
14/04/2008, 7:30 PM
The Artist In The Ambulance by Thrice.

I listen to it in the gym, angry 100 mile an hour guitar rock at its very best

thischarmingman
14/04/2008, 9:10 PM
First one it appears...

Funkadelic by Funkadelic.

It's a brilliant album. It's a mix of psychedelic rock, blues and funk. All the songs are about 6 or 7 minutes long but they are all great. It's got plenty of guitar solos and lotsa deep bass. The vocals are gospel and the drums are funky. Think Jimi Hendrix, The Yardbirds and a bit of soul thrown in for good measure. It's, simply put, a brilliant album.

PS I saw a copy of it in Tower Records (under soul) on Wicklow Street not too long ago. Not too far from your part of town.

Thanks for the recommendation and the Tower Records tip. I pass it everyday actually. Currently on I Got a Thing... It usually takes me a few listens before an album clicks or not with me but this one's growing on me. I could see myself really liking it. Enjoyed 'I Bet You.'

It also might be my new sex music. :o :p

Thanks, I'll get back to you soon.

kingdom hoop
14/04/2008, 10:22 PM
To save dizzying myself in a spiral of thoughts as to what to recommend, I'll just suggest what I've listened to most these past two weeks: The LK, with Vs The Snow.

Why it is worth recommending: it's the ultimate April album (frolicking lambs, bouncing bunnies, smells of freshly mown grass wafting though your nostrils on a bright morn, is the kind of April I mean). Nuff said innit. Well, if more is needed to entice, then let me say that Tamagotchi Freestyle is easily one of the best (and intriguingly titled) tracks of the year. Go forth and illegally download from somewhere! :)

Edit; Noby, if your affection for We Show Up On Radar is anything to go, you should love the above.

Marked Man
15/04/2008, 12:17 AM
Anything by The Rebirth Brass Band (if you insist on one album name, then "Take it to the Streets").

Why you need to listen to it: Unless you've spent time in New Orleans, you've never heard anything like this before. Jazz, blues, funk, hip-hop, all fused together into one enthusiastically howled ''Yeah!' to life.

You may need to purchase this from amazon or some such. Don't know if they have their stuff readily available in Ireland.

thischarmingman
15/04/2008, 12:32 AM

It's alright, your man's voice annoys me a little and I found it a little derivative. That said, I've only listened to half the album and need to give it a few more spins to decide fully. Ta, though.

To save dizzying myself in a spiral of thoughts as to what to recommend, I'll just suggest what I've listened to most these past two weeks: The LK, with Vs The Snow.

Why it is worth recommending: it's the ultimate April album (frolicking lambs, bouncing bunnies, smells of freshly mown grass wafting though your nostrils on a bright morn, is the kind of April I mean). Nuff said innit. Well, if more is needed to entice, then let me say that Tamagotchi Freestyle is easily one of the best (and intriguingly titled) tracks of the year.

I am intrigued.

Anything by The Rebirth Brass Band (if you insist on one album name, then "Take it to the Streets").

Why you need to listen to it: Unless you've spent time in New Orleans, you've never heard anything like this before. Jazz, blues, funk, hip-hop, all fused together into one enthusiastically howled ''Yeah!' to life.

Make that two life-affirming albums I'm intrigued about.

Go forth and illegally download from somewhere!
Sorry but I'm not sure how strict these forums are and I'd rather this thread wasn't closed or anything so ixnay on any downloading comments guys, please.

Obviously I'm purchasing all of these albums.

superfrank
15/04/2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the recommendation and the Tower Records tip. I pass it everyday actually. Currently on I Got a Thing... It usually takes me a few listens before an album clicks or not with me but this one's growing on me. I could see myself really liking it. Enjoyed 'I Bet You.'
Glad you like it. "Music For My Mother" is the outstanding song I feel. It's got a laid back vibe perfect for days like this, even if the lyrics are really strange.

It also might be my new sex music. :o :p
I won't ask...

noby
15/04/2008, 10:55 AM
Recommendation noted, KH. Pitchfork also had positive notes about it (not that I didn't trust you, you understand).

anto1208
15/04/2008, 11:23 AM
Anto sings the big show tunes by anto great album hasnt sold well but that doesnt mean its not epic. :D

The album that has stayed in my playlist for the last few years is Come on feel the illinoise by Sufjan Stevens. Not a weird obscure album. It has some lovely tracks on it. Really enjoyable listen.

If you ever saw the film Little miss sunshine a good few of the track where used on the sound track.

Dr. Ogba
15/04/2008, 1:59 PM
would echo the Sufjan Stevens shout....great album

My personal favourite is Black Sheep Boy by Okkervil River. Bought it about 3 years ago and hasn't strayed away from my cd player since. Its one of those albums where you'll find that you've a new favourite song each time you listen to it. Also lyrically its head and shoulders above anything I've ever heard before or since. Musically its a mix of a few rock tunes, some acousticy country-twanged stuff...

check out the video for "For Real" on youtube (sorry can't post a link in work) and you'll get a feel for it....

thischarmingman
15/04/2008, 5:16 PM
Glad you like it. "Music For My Mother" is the outstanding song I feel. It's got a laid back vibe perfect for days like this, even if the lyrics are really strange.

Ahhh, it sounds even better today. That Whole Lotta Love-esque riff on 'Mommy...' is just brilliant. Really enjoying it. I reckon it'll get played a lot over the next couple of months.

The album that has stayed in my playlist for the last few years is Come on feel the illinoise by Sufjan Stevens.

Jeez, there's some 22 tracks to get through on it! "The Black Hawk War, or, How To Demolish An Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience But You're Going To Have To Leave Now, or, "I have fought the Big Knives and will continue to fight them till they are off our lands!"" may well be the longest song title I've ever come across! Will give it a wee whirl tonight. I loved Little Miss Sunshine but saw it ages ago and can't remember much of the music from it.

My personal favourite is Black Sheep Boy by Okkervil River. Bought it about 3 years ago and hasn't strayed away from my cd player since.
I'm going to listen to Sufjan Stevens, then relisten to Thrice while working tonight and then I'll try out Black Sheep Boy :)

jebus
15/04/2008, 6:31 PM
My Morning Jacket - At Dawn is absolutely, 100%, wall to wall genius......GO NOW!! :D:)

Risteard
15/04/2008, 8:23 PM
Illinoise.

kingdom hoop
16/04/2008, 11:09 AM
Recommendation noted, KH. Pitchfork also had positive notes about it (not that I didn't trust you, you understand).

I understand entirely.

Just read the review there, and it's spot on. If you're at all curious I'd strongly suggest moving this to third base and the associated aural pleasure.

Dr. Ogba
16/04/2008, 11:28 AM

You may need to purchase this from amazon or some such. Don't know if they have their stuff readily available in Ireland.

this, too, intrigues me......

thischarmingman
16/04/2008, 11:44 AM
Anto sings the big show tunes by anto great album hasnt sold well but that doesnt mean its not epic. :D

The album that has stayed in my playlist for the last few years is Come on feel the illinoise by Sufjan Stevens. Not a weird obscure album. It has some lovely tracks on it. Really enjoyable listen.

If you ever saw the film Little miss sunshine a good few of the track where used on the sound track.

Loving it, absolutely loving it! Girlfriend's already asked me to make her a copy of it!

Block G Raptor
16/04/2008, 12:22 PM
The Bends - Radiohead

Don't know what to say about it except I'm not a huge fan of the Bands other stuff (ok computer aside) But keep going back to the bends
It's one of the few album's in my collection that I can truly say doesn't have a bad track on it

Marked Man
16/04/2008, 12:32 PM
Here's a sample of Rebirth Brass Band. Sound quality isn't great, but enough to give you an idea.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zzc_TYHxoE0

Wangball
16/04/2008, 12:34 PM
69 Love Songs (Volume 1,2 & 3) by The Magnetic Fields is brilliant, I go back to it over and over again

Wolfie
16/04/2008, 12:40 PM
Doolittle - The Pixies

An NME review at the time if its release stated - "the songs on Doolittle have the power to make you literally jump out of your skin with excitement"

Lim till i die
16/04/2008, 12:42 PM
The Lemonheads - It's a shame about Ray

Brilliant pop.

You can smile or cry with it depending on your mood.

ken foree
16/04/2008, 6:49 PM
television's "marquee moon". called the first post-punk album by some and one of THE guitar records of all time. wonderful stuff.

anto1208
17/04/2008, 8:04 AM
The Lemonheads - It's a shame about Ray

Brilliant pop.

You can smile or cry with it depending on your mood.

They had one of the lemonheads on the radio last week doing an acustic song and i thought it was David Brent it was so cringeworthey.....brilliant :D

Of course you had all the normal idiots that text radio stations saying it was great , amazing voice etc etc i thought it was shocking.

Lim till i die
17/04/2008, 9:39 AM
Of course you had all the normal idiots that text radio stations saying it was great , amazing voice etc etc i thought it was shocking.

Your love of all things Pete Doherty renders your opinion invalid I'm afraid anto.

Have heard some pretty mortifying acoustic sets from junkie boy in my time now that I think of it..........

TonyD
17/04/2008, 12:38 PM
I've Seen Everything - by the Trashcan Sinatras. Fabulous album. Jangly guitar pop of the highest order.

Flawless
20/04/2008, 8:48 PM
If you can get any music from Richard Cheese and Lounge against the machine then i would advise it!!:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Cheese

Billsthoughts
20/04/2008, 11:34 PM
bought big stars two albums on one cd today for 12 euro in hmv
also heard run dmc on album show on phantom on way home. will deffo be checkin out

noby
21/04/2008, 7:37 AM
Big Star are great. I have that same cd with the first two albums - some good tunes on there.

thischarmingman
21/04/2008, 8:52 AM
I'm still reading this thread by the way, will give full update later in the week!

Thanks for all recommendations!

endabob1
21/04/2008, 12:17 PM
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
First time I heard I thought it was an album no one should go through life without hearing, 15 years later I still listen to it and get the same feeling. Melancholic, inspiring, fragile, bleak and the most beautiful 28 minutes of music you're ever likely to hear.

stann
22/04/2008, 6:36 AM
I would echo Ken Foree's recommendation above, though that should be on the list of 'big' albums you didn't need recommending. :)

Seeing as the thread is a bit light on hippity hoppity stuff, I'll suggest the wonderful '3 Feet High And Rising' by De La Soul.

Pike B
22/04/2008, 10:30 AM
By The Way. Red Hot Chilli Peppers...
Perfection... ;)

SaucyJack
22/04/2008, 12:50 PM
Paid in Full -Eric B. and Rakim, one of the best hip hop records of all time.

Flip you're wig- Husker Du, just phenomenal.

lofty9
22/04/2008, 1:11 PM
Try listening to Stand by Sly and The Family Stone. A Wonderful Album. Cheers me up no end listening to it now and again.

Neish
22/04/2008, 2:55 PM
Cease to begin by Band of Horses. Very good album got it last week and has ben on the stereo ever since

SligoBrewer
22/04/2008, 10:37 PM
The Futureheads - The Futureheads gets my nomination. You should be able to pick it up from Zavvi anywhere at a bargain price as well. Brilliant album, love it.

tetsujin1979
24/04/2008, 4:07 PM
Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard as well, very Foo Fighters style pop-rock
Lights and Sounds (the follow up album) is a bit heavier, and I haven't heard Paper Walls (most recent)

Pauro 76
25/04/2008, 9:27 AM
Portishead 'Dummy', still a superb album, 14 :eek: years on. Touches the soul, if you havent listened to it, it's one of the finest albums you'll hear.

boovidge
28/04/2008, 4:46 PM
Frank Zappa- Apostrophe

Great fun album that always manages to get me moving even if im just at the pc :D

Cynic- Focus

My favourite album for the last year or so. Jazz fusion vs heavy rock/metal. Very unique album with great contrasts in styles. Two distinct vocal styles are used. A "death metal" style "growl" accompanies vocals put through a "vocoder" making them sound electronic. The contrast between the aggressive vocals and the peaceful vocals is very interesting. The musicianship is also very impressive. Obviously this is a very niche album but i recommend it to anyone who likes jazz fusion, metal or both (as i do :D)

Also i've got to agree with the guy who recommended nick drake (although if you havent already checked him out it's a crime quite frankly!) Get all 3 albums theyre all great.

Flawless
28/04/2008, 10:48 PM
Paid in Full -Eric B. and Rakim, one of the best hip hop records of all time..

Second that, it and Illmatic are streets ahead!