PDA

View Full Version : Another "Pick your Ireland Team" Thread

blobbyblob
14/04/2008, 1:42 PM
Well Lads,

Im a firm believer in picking your best 11 and working the formation around that 11 as best you can rather than trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Im not international standard by any stretch of the imagination but ive adopted this approach with any team I've managed and its always reaped rewards. Players are most comfortable playing in their own position. Obviously if a player is out of position you have to let him know what you want from him in that position and talk him through it during the game.

With all this in mind and completely disregarding formation to begin with, who would be in your top 11 Irish players as of this moment. Once you have your 11 picked, place them in formation as close to where they play week in week out. My twopence worth:

Clinton Morrison, Robbie Keane
Daryl Murphy
Stephen Hunt, Andy Reid, Stephen Ireland, Aiden McGeady
Kilbane, Dunne, O'Shea
Given

Bit of a Spurs effort here. I think we'd leak goals a plenty but we'd score more. Id say it would be a rollercoaster to say the least.

Speakthetruth
14/04/2008, 2:13 PM
Kilbane and O'Shea in a 3 Man defence...I'm nearly got sick laughing.:D

Dr. Ogba
14/04/2008, 2:39 PM
Kilbane and O'Shea in a 3 Man defence...I'm nearly got sick laughing.:D

well stan thought Kilbane was good enough to play centre half so thats good enough for me...

Morbo
14/04/2008, 2:41 PM
lolz No offence but that team would get creamed and hard, not only are O'Shea and Kilbane not good enough to play in a 3 man defence but the midfield would get overrun too as S.Ireland offers nothing defensively and McGeady isn't a lot better,

Anyway my best 11 disregarding formation would be

Clinton Morrison, Robbie Keane, Doyle
Duff, Stephen Hunt, Andy Reid, Stephen Ireland, Stephen Reid, AidenMcGeady
Dunne,
Given

L37Ultra
14/04/2008, 2:43 PM
Well Lads,

Im a firm believer in picking your best 11 and working the formation around that 11 as best you can rather than trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Im not international standard by any stretch of the imagination but ive adopted this approach with any team I've managed and its always reaped rewards. Players are most comfortable playing in their own position. Obviously if a player is out of position you have to let him know what you want from him in that position and talk him through it during the game.

With all this in mind and completely disregarding formation to begin with, who would be in your top 11 Irish players as of this moment. Once you have your 11 picked, place them in formation as close to where they play week in week out. My twopence worth:

Daryl Murphy
Kilbane, Dunne, O'Shea
Given

Bit of a Spurs effort here. I think we'd leak goals a plenty but we'd score more. Id say it would be a rollercoaster to say the least.

Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane
Damien Duff, Andy Reid, Stephen Ireland, Aiden McGeady
Kilbane, Dunne, O'Shea S.Kelly

Speakthetruth
14/04/2008, 2:52 PM
................................Given
...................Kelly Dunne J.O'Brien Kilbane

....................S.Ireland S.Reid A.Reid

...............McGeady ....................Duff

...............................Keane

A lot would depend on the wide attackers but I think they would revel in free-ish roles as they would be bolstered by 3 centre-mids behind, S.Reid being the ball winner.

lionelhutz
14/04/2008, 3:11 PM
If you're asking who would be the 11 most influential players who are eligible to play for Ireland at the moment I'd say (obviously disregarding formation);

Given, Finnan, Dunne, Andy O'Brien, Andy Reid, Stephen Reid, Hunt, McGeady, Keane, Murphy, Ireland,

Kingdom
14/04/2008, 3:13 PM
Well Lads,

Daryl Murphy
Kilbane, Dunne, O'Shea
Given

I think you've contradicted yourself slightly there Blobby. Thats a team that would do well at home against all the weaker nations but wouldn't stand a chance against Bulgaria or Italy.

Bluebeard
14/04/2008, 3:29 PM
Anyway my best 11 disregarding formation would be

Clinton Morrison, Robbie Keane, Doyle
Duff, Stephen Hunt, Andy Reid, Stephen Ireland, Stephen Reid, AidenMcGeady
Dunne,
Given

Most entertaining formation ever!

boovidge
14/04/2008, 3:34 PM
................................Given
...................Kelly Dunne J.O'Brien Kilbane

....................S.Ireland S.Reid A.Reid

...............McGeady ....................Duff

...............................Keane

A lot would depend on the wide attackers but I think they would revel in free-ish roles as they would be bolstered by 3 centre-mids behind, S.Reid being the ball winner.

looks good on paper but keane struggles up front on his own

Kingdom
14/04/2008, 3:35 PM
If retirements aren't/weren't an issue I'd like for this team to start against Serbia:

Given

finnan ---------AO'Brien-------Dunne ------------Kilbane
------------------SReid----AReid------------------------
-----McGeady -------Doyle --------- Murphy-----
--------------------Keane------------------

zenokelly
14/04/2008, 3:48 PM
Henderson

Joey O Brien - St Ledger - Bruce - kilbane

Lawerence (c) - Douglas - Miller - Alan O Brien

Doherty - Folan

Why would you waste your time writing that garbage?:confused:

Anyway

Given
Dunne Finnan
A.Reid S.Reid McGeady Lawrence JOBrien Hunt Ireland
Keane

That's the best 11 at the moment imo. Before people start going on about Lawrence. Look at Stoke's position in the Championship and look at his goal and assist record and you shouldn't have a problem with him being there.

blobbyblob
14/04/2008, 3:52 PM
I think you've contradicted yourself slightly there Blobby. Thats a team that would do well at home against all the weaker nations but wouldn't stand a chance against Bulgaria or Italy.

I wont say my tactics are flawless. I suppose it just highlights that were not flush with riches all over the park.

Kingdom
14/04/2008, 3:55 PM
I wont say my tactics are flawless. I suppose it just highlights that were not flush with riches all over the park.

Agreed about the quality of player available to us. And I do agree about the round hole and square peg theory.

The way I see it is the management have to decide whats best: to pick out the 11 players and the formation to suit them best or to pick the formation and the players that suit it best. If that means one or two players of poorer quality getting picked (in other words a Championship/League1/Loi left full instead of KK) then so be it.

L37Ultra
14/04/2008, 3:57 PM
Henderson

Joey O Brien - St Ledger - Bruce - kilbane

Lawerence (c) - Douglas - Miller - Alan O Brien

Doherty - Folan

:D:D:D Comedian!!

Speakthetruth
14/04/2008, 4:32 PM
looks good on paper but keane struggles up front on his own

Yeah, I know but Duff has played a forwards (as opposed to Strikers) role in the past to great effect, so as long as the team is an attacking 4-3-2-1 as opposed to a 4-5-1 (Big Jack Style) I reckon Keane would have the neccesscary support..

theworm2345
15/04/2008, 12:04 AM
--------------Given-------------------
Finnan---Dunne---A. O'Brien---Kilbane-
Murphy---Hunt----S. Reid---A. Reid----
---------------Duff-------------------
---------------Keane------------------

I'd have Doyle replace Duff and go up front and Connolly replace Keane, but depending on how Keane/Duff were doing. McGeady on for Murphy or one of the Reids. Ian Harte available to come on for Kilbane if we need a goal and Andy Reid is out to take the frees and we haven't put on McGeady yet. Obviously I would need Finnan and Andy to unretire and would try to get Gary Breen out of retirement as well...I think Kelly and Joey O'Brien are ****e

Qwerty
15/04/2008, 3:31 AM
Given

Finnan Dunne O'Brien O'Shea

S.Reid

McGeady A.Reid Duff

Keane Morrison/Doyle

McGeady is still finding his feet at this level and people need to be patient. Morrison offers us a good alternative, he is proven at this level. For me the jury is still out on Steven Reid but I don't really see anybody else who can do the job apart from Carsley who is limited. Darryl Murphy can give us some physicality but his finishing needs to be improved. Stephen Hunt can make things happen. And Stephen Ireland could be a fantastic imapct sub when you are behind.

boovidge
15/04/2008, 3:41 AM

I'd have Doyle replace Duff and go up front and Connolly replace Keane, but depending on how Keane/Duff were doing. McGeady on for Murphy or one of the Reids. Ian Harte available to come on for Kilbane if we need a goal and Andy Reid is out to take the frees and we haven't put on McGeady yet. Obviously I would need Finnan and Andy to unretire and would try to get Gary Breen out of retirement as well...I think Kelly and Joey O'Brien are ****e

thewum2345 :D

theworm2345
15/04/2008, 4:17 AM
Eh I dont get it...perhaps its better that way

Kingdom
15/04/2008, 7:26 AM
thewum2345 :D

Haha very good. Its only teasing you worm, I'd imagine its not meant to be taken seriously! :)

back of the net
15/04/2008, 12:35 PM
Well Lads,

Daryl Murphy
Kilbane, Dunne, O'Shea
Given

are you serious ??? what level have you managed - under 4's????

that team is a disaster waiting to happen - a back 3 with 1 recognised defender , 1 midfielder who plays defense and 1 defender who does not play at all,

then your midfield - where the defensive element to your midfield - particulary if you are playing 3 at the back (a dodgy 3 at the back)

daryl murphy in the hole??? seriously

get back to the tactics board mate - quickly

back of the net
15/04/2008, 12:40 PM
if finnan and co come out of retirement ...etc etc etc

-------------------------------- Given
finnan ----- dunne ---------------------- o'brien ------- kilbane

------------------------------S.Reid

duff ------------------------------ ireland/A reid ----------- Hunt
------------------------------keane
----------------------------------------- doyle

Dr. Ogba
15/04/2008, 12:49 PM
Jaysus its a sad state of affairs that everyone is agreeing that Kilbane should be our first choice left full...mark my words that guy is an accident waiting to happen in that position and will cost us goals if any manager worth his salt does his research on us.
He has absolutely no positional sense whatsoever and it shows how poorly I rate him in that position when I say that I'd infinitely prefer O'Shea there. he may give the ball away a bit but at least he actually stands where a full back should stand!
Alternatively I'd like to see Damien Delaney given a chance...

back of the net
15/04/2008, 1:31 PM
rumours are that mowbray is gonna take mcshane back to west brom , if so , he will prob get played at left back - he did very well there last season(albeit championship)- but IF it were to happen - it would be another option in a position where we dont have many options to choose from

Dr. Ogba
15/04/2008, 2:04 PM
rumours are that mowbray is gonna take mcshane back to west brom , if so , he will prob get played at left back - he did very well there last season(albeit championship)- but IF it were to happen - it would be another option in a position where we dont have many options to choose from

he played right back for west brom didn't he?

eirebhoy
15/04/2008, 2:06 PM
Yeh he played right back but he's clearly a centre half. I'd rather my full backs to be pacy and technically very good.

BigmanCas
15/04/2008, 2:16 PM
Great news from the horses mouth. I was talkin to Shay Given on Sat Night (fact) and it turns out that his injury isn't as bad as he first thought.

'I'd rather my full backs to be pacy and technically very good' -

Is that right EB? I would rather the whole team to be pacy and technically very good.

osarusan
15/04/2008, 2:19 PM
I was talking to Aidan McGeady yesterday. Apparently Shay Given told him on Saturday night that the injury isn't as serious as Given first thought. That's good news.

BigmanCas
15/04/2008, 2:24 PM
Funny but it is true. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3426789,00.html

eirebhoy
15/04/2008, 2:38 PM
I would rather the whole team to be pacy and technically very good.
Like, say, John Terry?

livehead1
15/04/2008, 3:13 PM
Here, if the lads were out of retirement (which may happen)

Given
Finnan Dunne A O'Brien Kilbane
S.Reid Carsley A.Reid McGeady
Keane Murphy

And choice of 5 subs would be:
Kenny, O'Shea, Duff, Ireland, Doyle

carloz
15/04/2008, 3:39 PM
---------------------------Given

Kelly--------Dunne----------------------O'Shea-------------Kilbane

Carsley--------------------S. Reid

Hunt --------------------- A. Reid---------------------------McGeady

--------------------------R. Keane-------------------------------

I have gone with the assumption that O'Brien and Finnan wont come back. I think too many people are dismissing Carsley, he is the lynchpin in a team with Champions League aspirations. Id like the shape and i feel it will be roughly what Trap will go. Bit rough on Doyle and Duff but thats the way it goes

livehead1
15/04/2008, 3:43 PM
There is no other Irish international playing regularly in a side as good as Everton.

lionelhutz
15/04/2008, 4:10 PM

Why wouldn't you just switch the two of these or is this just a mistake?? Besides that I'd agree with most of the starting 11 - although Mcgeady probably deserves to start ahead of Murphy. As for Connolly and Harte coming on, you're just rising everyone aren't you????

BigmanCas
15/04/2008, 4:12 PM
Like, say, John Terry?
I have always said that JT is the most over rated defender in the premiership and low and behold I am being proved correct. Hey don't get me wrong he is a decent leader and good in the air but thats sadly where it all ends. Prediction - to be a bit player under Capello!

boovidge
15/04/2008, 4:36 PM
if finnan and co come out of retirement ...etc etc etc

-------------------------------- Given
finnan ----- dunne ---------------------- o'brien ------- kilbane

------------------------------S.Reid

duff ------------------------------ ireland/A reid ----------- Hunt
------------------------------keane
----------------------------------------- doyle

duff on the right is useless. Stick him on the left and put mcgeady on the right and thats the team i'd go for. With maybe Morrisson instead of Doyle.

cavan_fan
15/04/2008, 4:40 PM
Not sure of the value of naming irelands best eleven players as in some cases we have one defender!

I've said before we need to look at where our strengths lie and build a formation where we can egt most out of these strengths and have some cover.

Looking at traditional positions we have:

Central defenders - One top player (Dunne) and 2-3 average ones, O'Shea, O'Brien, McShane, then a long list of possibles (e.g. McCarthy, O'Dea etc etc). Not enough strength here to want to play 3 at the back as they would all need to be centre backs.

Full Backs. This has traditionally ben a strong point for u but now it's a bit weak. At RB we have Finnan and maye Kelly but not much more. At LB we have the invidious choice of Harte, O'Shea or Kilbane. In reality we'd better play 4 at the back and drill them well because the only 2 good defenders we have are Dunne and Finnan. Oh for the days of choosing between Moran, O'Leary, McCarthy and McGrath.

Holding Midfielders. Carsley is the man in posession, as someone said above he is a regular starter for Everton and so is our top achiever player but he is a) old and b) not really international class. After him comes S Reid, who despite his physique is not really the same sort of player and random options like Graham Kavanagh.

Attacking Central Midfielders - Now we are in the first area where we have some strength. The 2 obvious options are A Reid and S Ireland (if available) with options around McPhail, S Reid and some of the wingers.

Wingers - We have lots of choice here, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Kilbane, Murphy maybe.

Strikers - Lots of small guys. No partnership howver and this is because we have no one for anyone to play off. Leon best may be a choice in a few years.

Not sure what this tells us excpet that we need to get the most out of our attacking midfield and wingers and so the suggestion of 4-2-3-1 seems more and more appetising. The problems we have are who are the 4 defenders, who is the second hodling midfielder (and where is the cover in that department) and who is the one up front, dont see this as Robbie.

Thats why Trap is paid the money though!

livehead1
15/04/2008, 4:40 PM
I have always said that JT is the most over rated defender in the premiership and low and behold I am being proved correct. Hey don't get me wrong he is a decent leader and good in the air but thats sadly where it all ends. Prediction - to be a bit player under Capello!

How exactly are you being 'proved (sic) correct'...The guy is CLASS, pure and utter class, his positional ability is up there with the very best in the world, his aerial ability is outstanding, and he is a natural leader. If he was Irish he would be our best player by some considerable margin.

Over the post
15/04/2008, 5:08 PM
Seeing as we're short proven defenders at CB and LB and our best midfielders aren't great defenders, it might be worth trying a 5-3-2 in order to bolster the defence.

------------------Given

-----Finnan----O'Shea---Dunne---McShane---Kilbane/Hunt

---------Ireland----S. Reid----A.Reid

------------Keane---Duff

Depending on the opposition we could opt for more attacking full backs or even play wingers like Hunt who has the engine to get up and down.

jmurphyc
15/04/2008, 5:31 PM
How exactly are you being 'proved (sic) correct'...The guy is CLASS, pure and utter class, his positional ability is up there with the very best in the world, his aerial ability is outstanding, and he is a natural leader. If he was Irish he would be our best player by some considerable margin.

I prefer Dunne to Terry. If Dunne were at one of the "big four" he wouldn't look out of place and would have just as much presence at the back as Terry/Vidic/Carragher (and the rest of them). People would probably call him world class if he played for one of them.

theworm2345
15/04/2008, 8:04 PM
Why wouldn't you just switch the two of these or is this just a mistake?? Besides that I'd agree with most of the starting 11 - although Mcgeady probably deserves to start ahead of Murphy.
I prefer Reid on the wing because while he has no pace he has an excellent left foot and Murphy and Doyle (if in) could get on the end of whereas its harder to utilise that when he's in the center, when you have Duff there already to play it to Robbie. Hunt has to play and thats the only spot left. I've seen him do good things from that spot as well. To be honest it wouldn't really matter to me either way

As for Connolly and Harte coming on, you're just rising everyone aren't you????[/

Abso****inglutely not...haven't been here too long, have you (if you don't think I'm serious)? As I said, Harte would only come on if we needed a goal and Reid was out. He may not be top choice at defense but hes not so bad that if we were down already that I think he'd be a detriment. Connolly is our 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best striker. C-Mo may be ahead only on current form and Doyle wouldn't be on current form, but Connolly doesn't too well with Keane and Doyle does, Morrison does decently with him. I'm not here for an argument about him though

eirebhoy
16/04/2008, 8:09 AM
I prefer Reid on the wing because while he has no pace he has an excellent left foot and Murphy and Doyle (if in) could get on the end of whereas its harder to utilise that when he's in the center, when you have Duff there already to play it to Robbie. Hunt has to play and thats the only spot left. I've seen him do good things from that spot as well. To be honest it wouldn't really matter to me either way

It would be a pretty end to end game of football if you stuck Hunt in midfield and Reid out wide so he could supply crosses. Putting Reid in the centre will give us a much more dominant midfield.

carloz
16/04/2008, 8:15 AM

Agree complelty. What generally makes Terry look good is having Cavalhio beside him. All Terry does is last ditch sliding tackles that look excellent, but he only has to do them because he is always caught out of position (example the recent France England game). And surprise surprise, who was marking Heskey for Wigans goal the other night

back of the net
16/04/2008, 8:30 AM
he played right back for west brom didn't he?

i hold my hands up, your right - mcshane did play right back for them , it was robinson who played left back

apologies for my error - there goes another left back option ))-:

joeSoap
16/04/2008, 8:37 AM
Duff

Duff Duff Duff Duff

Duff Duff Duff Duff

Duff Duff

Subs: Duff Duff Duff Duff Duff Duff

BigmanCas
16/04/2008, 11:35 AM

Yeah. Clueless.

Kingdom
16/04/2008, 12:10 PM
Agree complelty. What generally makes Terry look good is having Cavalhio beside him. All Terry does is last ditch sliding tackles that look excellent, but he only has to do them because he is always caught out of position (example the recent France England game). And surprise surprise, who was marking Heskey for Wigans goal the other night

I'll be shot for saying this but I think Dunne (what i've seen of him) has had a poor past couple of months .

livehead1
16/04/2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah. Clueless.

You reckon I'm clueless? LOL you ain't been on here long enough mate....

Anyways, short memory people have, Terry being the captain when Chelsea won the EPL in consecutive years with a fantastic defensive record. He's performed at a higher level on a consistant basis than any current Irish international so lets take off them green tinted specs. I remember Dunne having a bad game not so long ago as well.

bellavistaman
16/04/2008, 12:19 PM
given

finnan o'shea dunne kilbane

duff andy reid steven reid hunt
ireland
keane