PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Sports Commentators

Bluebeard
14/04/2008, 9:45 AM
Seeing as we have the converse, how about your favourites?

Personally, I am a big fan of the Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen combo for the cycling - they know tonnes and get really into it. I'll always remember Liggett when Roche appears in the background behind Delgado on La Plagne (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sQojh-wqL04) (about 2m), but I remember he had some great moments with Kelly too.

rebus2008
14/04/2008, 11:45 AM
Cycling...just don't get in.
While there was great interest in it during the glory years of Roche and Kelly, its a dead duck now. Even in the glory years, commentating wasn't critical to it. Somewhat limited as a sport from a commentators perspective:
- "He's broken away"
- "He's falling behind"
- "He's crashed"
- "He's got a puncture"
- He's failed the drug test"
- "He's failed a 2nd drugs test"

thats about it

Torn-Ado
14/04/2008, 12:16 PM
Michael O

gilberto_eire
14/04/2008, 12:39 PM
I only like certain commentators for certain things.

Ireland games: George Hamilton
GAA: Ger Canning
Premiership:Andy Gray and Martin Tyler
Champions League: Clive Tildsley
Rugby: Fella from BBC, can't stand the RTE fella

If i was to watch an adverage game with those commentators id enjoy it more.

I HATE if Ireland are playing and you go the pub and they put on the Sky Sports coverage, same with the ''Champs League'' (but i don't really watch that anymore) Sports coverage, ruins it IMO.

Anyone else like that, that a commentator makes a big differance in whether you enjoy a match or not??

Bluebeard
14/04/2008, 1:38 PM
Anyone else like that, that a commentator makes a big differance in whether you enjoy a match or not??

Hearing Ger Canning on "Soccer" always made me feel queasy, so it never mattered if the game was any good or not.

gilberto_eire
14/04/2008, 2:40 PM
Hearing Ger Canning on "Soccer" always made me feel queasy, so it never mattered if the game was any good or not.

He's class for the GAA though. Hate when you tune it to see Marty Morrissey or Darragh Maloney taking the mike!!:mad:

:D

Roadend
14/04/2008, 2:52 PM
You are the first person to ever say that they like Clive "That night in Barcelona" Tildsley that I've ever come across.

Dodge
14/04/2008, 2:55 PM
Seeing as we have the converse, how about your favourites?

Personally, I am a big fan of the Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen combo for the cycling - they know tonnes and get really into it. I'll always remember Liggett when Roche appears in the background behind Delgado on La Plagne (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sQojh-wqL04) (about 2m), but I remember he had some great moments with Kelly too.
David Duffield on eurosport is may favourite.

Unlike the above poster who doesn't get it, the commentators are more critical to watching cycling than most.

DaveyCakes
15/04/2008, 10:36 PM
I like most German football commentators that I've heard, because they'll shut up if there's nothing going on rather than spouting endless statistics or other "interesting" facts.

Torn-Ado
16/04/2008, 6:55 AM
I only like certain commentators for certain things.

Ireland games: George Hamilton
GAA: Ger Canning
Premiership:Andy Gray and Martin Tyler
Champions League: Clive Tildsley
Rugby: Fella from BBC, can't stand the RTE fella

If i was to watch an adverage game with those commentators id enjoy it more.

I HATE if Ireland are playing and you go the pub and they put on the Sky Sports coverage, same with the ''Champs League'' (but i don't really watch that anymore) Sports coverage, ruins it IMO.

All mentioned above are horrendous in my opinion.

kingdom hoop
16/04/2008, 10:11 AM
David Duffield on eurosport is my favourite.

As previously, I wholeheartedly agree. The likes of him, O'Muircheartaigh, Bill McLaren and to a lesser extent Peter Allis, just go to show how crap the majority of commentators are. As well as their bottomless knowledge those mentioned bring great personality to the table, add to the sense of occasion, make you feel something special is happening, and you're a part of it. That's one thing I wonder as to what I'd be like if I was a commentator; would I not be a bit more exuberant/passionate in what I'm saying than most seem to be? Passion, as ever, is the key I feel.

superfrank
16/04/2008, 12:34 PM
Micheal O'Muircheartaigh, Marty Morrissey, Stephen Alkin, Alan Green, John Murray, Des Curran and the guy on Setanta for Formula One, he's more of a secondary commentator and not the Scottish one. Can't think of his name.

OwlsFan
16/04/2008, 1:06 PM
the guy on Setanta for Formula One, he's more of a secondary commentator and not the Scottish one. Can't think of his name.

Is he Irish ?

Dodge
16/04/2008, 1:16 PM
Presume its David Kennedy

The rugby commentator on BBC mentioned above is Eddie Butler. Or at least is should be as he's excellent

superfrank
16/04/2008, 4:44 PM
Presume its David Kennedy
Him. I knew it was something with a D.

Schumi
16/04/2008, 6:31 PM
Murray Walker, no other F1 commentator can compare.

holidaysong
16/04/2008, 8:34 PM
The two boys on Dundalk FM. :D

osarusan
17/04/2008, 1:54 AM
Bjorge Lillelien

Bluebeard
17/04/2008, 7:13 AM
Bjorge Lillelien

Best football commentary EVER!

OwlsFan
17/04/2008, 1:00 PM
Him. I knew it was something with a D.

I'll tell my brother. He'll be pleased :D

gilberto_eire
17/04/2008, 6:34 PM
All mentioned above are horrendous in my opinion.

I'd agree..... for only for other events then ones i've listed. But for that particular event i've listed, they make the games more enjoyable for me!.

If Andy Gray/ Martin Tyler were doing an Ireland game or Champions League i would'nt like them, but for a Premiership game i enjoy them etc....

Bluebeard
17/04/2008, 7:38 PM
I'd agree..... for only for other events then ones i've listed. But for that particular event i've listed, they make the games more enjoyable for me!.

If Andy Gray/ Martin Tyler were doing an Ireland game or Champions League i would'nt like them, but for a Premiership game i enjoy them etc....

There's a word for people like you;)

Superhoops
17/04/2008, 8:45 PM
I'd love to hear Micheal O'Muircheartaigh and Sid Waddell commentating in tandem :D

Can listen to most football commentators except Andy Gray and Alan Green, a pair of opinionated asshol*s.

ramsfan
17/04/2008, 9:47 PM
sid waddell what a legend,

some classics

Taylor is so hot he could hit the bullseye standing one-legged in a hammock.

Circus Tavern packed - even a garter snake smothered in Vaseline couldn’t slide in here

brilliant:D

rebus2008
18/04/2008, 11:39 AM
Agreed that Sid Waddell is great to listen to.
One reservation is that while his quotes are legendary, you could have them all written well in advance of the match starting and then just lash them out.

Michael O' is quite simple a legend. Where else would you get:

"Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. It's over the bar. This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery. The ball is kicked out by Declan O'Keeffe it's dropping......"

"1-5 to 0-8. Well from Lapland to the Antartic that's level scores in any man's language"

"Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now....but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail...I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park !"

"Pat Fox out to the forty and grabs the sliothar, I bought a dog from his father last week. Fox turns and sprints for goal, the dog ran a great race last Tuesday in Limerick. Fox to the 21 fires a shot, it goes to the left and wide......and the dog lost as well."

"Sean Óg o Hailpín....his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold. "

"Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation. "

“And Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, I’ll tell ye a little story. I was in Times Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I said 'I suppose ye wouldn't have ‘The Kerryman would ye?' To which the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said 'Do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?'... He had both... So I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet..."

"Anthony Lynch the Cork corner back will be the last person to let you down - his people are undertakers"

"I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner Street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them. The priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! Forty yards out on the Hogan stand side of the field Ciarán Whelan goes on a rampage, its a goal for Dublin. So much for religion."

Everytime I read them, they still seem top drawer

Fireball
18/04/2008, 4:42 PM
Mike Ingham and Alan Green on 5Live.

superfrank
19/04/2008, 5:04 PM
Just heard a classic Alan Green-ism on the radio.

"Someone's just walked in front of the commentary position. Get out of the way, you clod!"

Pike B
21/04/2008, 8:49 AM
Bill Mc Laren. Rugby commentator. Legend.
Can't say I've liked any football commentators since Barry Davies hung up the mic...
Snooker commentators are all excellent. All old pros, who know the game inside out, can't say the same for Andy 'I know everything, Bow down before me' Gray..
What a W..ker....

Pike B
21/04/2008, 8:53 AM
Agreed that Sid Waddell is great to listen to.
One reservation is that while his quotes are legendary, you could have them all written well in advance of the match starting and then just lash them out.

Michael O' is quite simple a legend. Where else would you get:

"Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. It's over the bar. This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery. The ball is kicked out by Declan O'Keeffe it's dropping......"

"1-5 to 0-8. Well from Lapland to the Antartic that's level scores in any man's language"

"Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now....but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail...I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park !"

"Pat Fox out to the forty and grabs the sliothar, I bought a dog from his father last week. Fox turns and sprints for goal, the dog ran a great race last Tuesday in Limerick. Fox to the 21 fires a shot, it goes to the left and wide......and the dog lost as well."

"Sean Óg o Hailpín....his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold. "

"Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation. "

“And Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, I’ll tell ye a little story. I was in Times Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I said 'I suppose ye wouldn't have ‘The Kerryman would ye?' To which the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said 'Do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?'... He had both... So I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet..."

"Anthony Lynch the Cork corner back will be the last person to let you down - his people are undertakers"

"I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner Street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them. The priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! Forty yards out on the Hogan stand side of the field Ciarán Whelan goes on a rampage, its a goal for Dublin. So much for religion."

Everytime I read them, they still seem top drawer
All classics. My Da, loves that man!!