PDA

View Full Version : US Masters Golf

pete
13/04/2008, 8:27 PM
Definitely one of the best events in world sport even if not a golfer.

Harrington 6th on -3 & putting very well but 8 shots off the lead. Looks like he will be highest placed European as Casey is in freefall.

It is for Immelman to lose now as he is 3 ahead on -11. Can't see any one losing on -10.

Woods 6 behind & no sign of a charge.

inexile
13/04/2008, 8:43 PM
couldnt have said it better myself pete, was supposed to go for a few pints but am not moving!

cant see immelman losing it now, nice to see harrington doing reasonably well also

pete
13/04/2008, 8:49 PM
Immelman just needs to survive past the 12th avoiding double bogeys. I feel there will be more bogeys than birdies to the finish now...

beautifulrock
13/04/2008, 9:17 PM
genius putt by Woods on the 11th for a birdie, surely not???

pete
13/04/2008, 9:43 PM
Superb saved par on 11th by Immelman. A bogey would have been good.

The Tiger is stalking the Immelman. Could be 4 in it soon...

beautifulrock
13/04/2008, 9:46 PM
Yes but a terrible lie for Immelman on the 12th. Will do well to save par. Tiger misses an "easy" putt to stay 5 under.

inexile
13/04/2008, 10:38 PM
great to see harrington getting a top 5 finish

inexile
13/04/2008, 10:43 PM
sorry im wrong he is 6th at the moment!

rambler14
13/04/2008, 10:57 PM
Steve Flesch has had a disaster of a back nine........i think he's +7 with 1 hole to go.

Immelman messed up on 16 but he'll still win easily.

Superhoops
13/04/2008, 11:00 PM
Steve Flesch has had a disaster of a back nine........i think he's +7 with 1 hole to go.

Immelman messed up on 16 but he'll still win easily.
Needs no worse than 2 5's to win. Anything worse he's in Tiger country.

Nothing worse than a 6 at last now.

rambler14
13/04/2008, 11:11 PM
I think we have our winner:)

I suppose it means I was half right when I threw a tenner on Rory Sabbatini. I think.........now this is just a hunch but I may have picked the wrong South African.:D

pete
14/04/2008, 9:50 AM
If Immelman had double bogey on say the 13th instead of the 16th might have had mire drama. Can't say he did not deserve after leading for so long & bar the blip on the 16th fairly flawless.

Macy
14/04/2008, 10:29 AM
Good show from Harrington in the end. Putting let him down, but to be in contention despite that shows how far he's come on (especially the way others lost their head and got into a spiral of bogeys). Actually very Woods like, to be up there when not playing particularly well.

pete
14/04/2008, 11:23 AM
Good show from Harrington in the end. Putting let him down, but to be in contention despite that shows how far he's come on (especially the way others lost their head and got into a spiral of bogeys). Actually very Woods like, to be up there when not playing particularly well.

Proof if needed that he is a top quality player. His interview afterwards was good where he was basically saying he has the game to compete at 50% of the majors.

Kingdom
14/04/2008, 4:10 PM

I understand what you're saying and agree in general but I couldn't understand how he missed some of the earlier putts. There were two putts in particular maybe 7 & 8 that he knew himself were poor ones. One of which was maybe 5 ft and he didn't even skim the hole.
I like watching him, but I always think he'll win a tournament through being steady, you'd never fancy him to have to chase a lead.

pete
14/04/2008, 7:52 PM
I like watching him, but I always think he'll win a tournament through being steady, you'd never fancy him to have to chase a lead.

As opposed to how he won the British Open?

Macy
15/04/2008, 7:33 AM
I understand what you're saying and agree in general but I couldn't understand how he missed some of the earlier putts. There were two putts in particular maybe 7 & 8 that he knew himself were poor ones. One of which was maybe 5 ft and he didn't even skim the hole.
You do know that the Augusta greens are generally accepted as being the hardest in the world?

You are kinda confirming my point though - he missed some sinkable puts, especially in the first round, and he still finished tied 5th. Any kind of form and he would've won. Augusta isn't a course you can chase. Look what happened to the likes of Rose and Casey who went chasing after birdies after dropping shots. If he can consistently come into the last round in a challenging position and consistently finish top 10, he will win another Major imo.

Kingdom
15/04/2008, 7:44 AM
As opposed to how he won the British Open?

Obviously he did it at the open and fair dues to him, all I was trying to get across was that a lot had to go wrong to a few people ahead of him and a lot had to go right for him in order for him to win.
I like Harrington, he's a superb professional, but I'd always be more confident of him going out as leader or 2nd rather than having to make up 3/4 strokes.

Kingdom
15/04/2008, 7:48 AM
You do know that the Augusta greens are generally accepted as being the hardest in the world?

You are kinda confirming my point though - he missed some sinkable puts, especially in the first round, and he still finished tied 5th. Any kind of form and he would've won. Augusta isn't a course you can chase. Look what happened to the likes of Rose and Casey who went chasing after birdies after dropping shots. If he can consistently come into the last round in a challenging position and consistently finish top 10, he will win another Major imo.

I'm well aware of the nature of Augusta and its greens. Of course it was a good performance, and I've no doubt he'll win another Major, maybe a US Open will be his best chance ?

Dodge
15/04/2008, 7:53 AM
Obviously he did it at the open and fair dues to him, all I was trying to get across was that a lot had to go wrong to a few people ahead of him and a lot had to go right for him in order for him to win.
I like Harrington, he's a superb professional, but I'd always be more confident of him going out as leader or 2nd rather than having to make up 3/4 strokes.

I think the majority of his wins have been come from behind wins. Around about the time he was getting criticised for finishing 2nd all the time he pointed out that 80-90% of those 2nd place finishes was an improvement on his 3rd round position

Kingdom
15/04/2008, 8:06 AM
I'm getting skulled on this thread. Kingdom over and out.:o

Torn-Ado
15/04/2008, 1:05 PM
I'm getting skulled on this thread. Kingdom over and out.:o

Thats a very defeatist attitude. It goes totally against the essence of this site. If you make a point, be it the right one, the wrong one or just an incredibly stupid one, you must argue it to death and not budge an inch on the matter. Thereby creating a super thread consisting of 50-100 pages to be enjoyed by one and all.

Prime example: David Connolly thread and TheWorm

:) ;)

Kingdom
16/04/2008, 3:10 PM
Thats a very defeatist attitude. It goes totally against the essence of this site. If you make a point, be it the right one, the wrong one or just an incredibly stupid one, you must argue it to death and not budge an inch on the matter. Thereby creating a super thread consisting of 50-100 pages to be enjoyed by one and all.

Prime example: David Connolly thread and TheWorm

:) ;)

I don't have the fitness or the temperament for that!