PDA

View Full Version : Giller vs The Nerds

Rob_the_cat
11/04/2008, 8:24 PM
I'm astonished this hasn't come up yet. From todays Heddild

" Gill blasts Web 'Nerds' - Dundalk boss John Gill saw his side go clear at the top of the eircom league of Ireland first division standings last night following a 1-0 win over title rivals, Waterford United at Oriel Park.

But he couldn't hide his anger at comments on one of the clubs unofficial websites as he blasted the personal abuse that his players have been hit with recently. On the website abuse, Gill said "Some of the personal stuff written about me and written about players; it's not right. There's a crowd of either disgruntled ex-players, or geeks, or nerds as I call them, on it, who do nothing for this football club. They don't contribute in any sort of way, shape or form". "

Quality! I can't wait til he gets back to the premier league. Badly needs outspoken characters like him.

The Lilywhites
11/04/2008, 9:18 PM
More here: http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/256/ and on www.orielweb.com !

Dunny
11/04/2008, 9:24 PM
http://www.loosetalkmichael.com/sport

Theskinloyal
12/04/2008, 12:31 AM
People who contribute nothing? Besides paying into games and supporting the club and paying his wages? Besides them? What a cu*t?

Those involved in football who do not appreiciate the supporters do not deserve to be involved with the clubs. Especially in the League of Ireland where supporters are so hard to come by.

HolylandsMan
12/04/2008, 12:53 AM
Those involved in football who do not appreiciate the supporters do not deserve to be involved with the clubs. Especially in the League of Ireland where supporters are so hard to come by.

Supporting your local team doesn't give anybody the right to behave like a lowlife.

Flawless
12/04/2008, 1:05 AM
I think his reaction was out of order, nothing goes on on orielweb to the scale he's suggesting. He crossed the line and hurt a lot of real fans. The majority are in full support of him and the club, he need not tar everyone with the same brush.

Regardless of this outburst, i wouldnt want to see him leave the club, hes done an wful lot of good for us. He has also agreed to attend a fans forum on the 24th of April. That should be fun!!

Dunny
12/04/2008, 1:22 AM
He has also agreed to attend a fans forum on the 24th of April. That should be fun!!

That should be a very interesting night indeed! We shall see what happens!

Rob_the_cat
12/04/2008, 6:53 AM
He comes across as a lot more reasonable in the full quote, to be fair.

Flawless
12/04/2008, 9:35 AM
DUNDALK FOOTBALL CLUB
PRESS RELEASE

Friday 11 April, 2008

INCANDESCENT GILL CASTIGATES PERSONAL ABUSE OF PLAYERS

Dundalk manager John Gill saw his side go clear at the top of the eircom League of Ireland First Division standings on Thursday night following a dominant display against title rivals, Waterford United at Oriel Park. However, shortly after the final whistle, the clearly incandescent boss couldn’t hide his anger at comments on one of the club’s unofficial websites, orielweb.com, as he blasted the personal and uncalled-for abuse that his players have been hit with recently.

Gill, a witness to the affect that the website had on certain players at the club last season due to similar abusive and derogatory remarks, firstly admitted his obvious delight with the result, before he revealed his disgust at some of the club’s so-called ‘supporters’. “I’m extremely happy,” Gill admitted to dundalkfc.com. “I said this week that it was only a game, it was about three points, but it was an important game. We were all disappointed with last week’s performance. But I’ll tell you what really annoyed me; some of the stuff that is on unofficial websites of this football club. Some people should be ashamed of themselves. I mean that - there’s muppets on it.

“I don’t read it, but I have people that do, and I have players that do, and the people who are on that site aren’t true Dundalk fans in my eyes, because they’re just knockers. I have thick skin, but some of the players are very disappointed. Some of the personal stuff written about me and written about players; it’s not right. There’s a crowd of either disgruntled ex-players, or geeks, or nerds as I call them, on it, who do nothing for this football club. They don’t contribute in any sort of way, shape or form. The real fans are out there tonight and get behind the club, and they don’t look to knock people every chance they get. I’m fully aware that we haven’t performed to the levels that we should, but in fairness, we had eleven points out of fifteen before tonight. What more do people want? Hopefully, tonight might shut a few people up.

“There will be dips and troughs along the way, and these people are only waiting in the long grass. Maybe I shouldn’t let it get to me, but it does get to me, and I don’t like negativity. I don’t know where it’s coming from, because they’re faceless muppets. Some people have stopped going on the site because of the abuse that players have gotten on it. A player was ran out of this club last year because of the same website as well, and I’m not going to let that happen again. I’m all for websites, once it’s balanced. But you get guys on it every time knocking you. I have people who tell me what’s on it, but I’ve told them now not to tell me anymore, because I do take it to heart, because I’m working my boiler off here.

“I’ve been in charge here for 78 games, I’ve won 45 of them, and I have a results percentage, between wins and draws, of 78%. If that’s not good enough for people, then I’m in the wrong job. Players are like everybody; some are more stronger mentally than others. Younger players are maybe a bit fragile mentally as well. I’ve told them not to read it, but some of the personal stuff that’s on it, it’s not called for. They might call themselves true fans, but they’re not. We’re trying to build something special here, and I think we’re going about it the right way. All we can do is our best; if any player or anybody I deal with gives me honesty and their best, I can get on with anybody, but I won’t listen to dribble.”

The full version of John Gill's post-match reaction will appear on www.dundalkfc.com later today.
Press Office,
Dundalk Football Club..

hoopy
12/04/2008, 10:45 AM
Nerds, eh. This coming from a guy who uses a ruler to make sure his locks are equal when shaving.

Sniffer
12/04/2008, 3:49 PM
How many eLOI bosses have someone to read websites for them?-Very Peoples' Republic of China.:)

prince20
13/04/2008, 4:15 PM
In fairness to gill he likes the sound of his own voice...could it be that he feels under pressure(please dont reply "pressure is for tyres") and knows the first division is going to be a lot tougher to get out of this season than people imagine and if dundalk dont get promoted he is getting the gate?

Jerry The Saint
13/04/2008, 4:54 PM
I’ve been in charge here for 78 games, I’ve won 45 of them, and I have a results percentage, between wins and draws, of 78%.

NERD!!!

Maynard
13/04/2008, 8:11 PM
To be fair nobody likes to listen to dribble...the splashback is really quite awful.:o

Flawless
14/04/2008, 12:07 AM
NERD!!!

:D

Does sound rather nerd-ish on his part alright!!

Dodge
14/04/2008, 10:50 AM
He's not the first manager to have a go at "internet fans"

Dolan used it regularly

thischarmingman
14/04/2008, 1:47 PM
I heard that it was because he asked to see the Dundalk website and they took him to the trophy cabinet.

:confused: