PDA

View Full Version : Subbing the subs

littlehops
19/07/2003, 3:52 PM
For the 3rd away league game in a row, Dolan has substituted a sub. What's the story with that?

It's something you'd hardly see once in a season, but three times in a few weeks is a bit ridiculous.

It can't be doing anything for the confidence of the players involved (and probably the rest of the team as well). And it doesn't give supporters (well, this one anyway) much confidence in some of Pat Dolan's tactical abilities.

tiktok
19/07/2003, 10:05 PM
i don't know, he brought Carey on for hoggie, which is more or less a straight swap, and then Behan for Carey late on when we were chasing the game and a goal down.

in that situation behan offers more than carey going forward, and woods as the other full back is capable of popping up with a goal, who would you have taken off?

littlehops
20/07/2003, 8:50 AM
I'm not just focussing on Friday....it's how often it's happening that subs are being hauled off later. (BTW I wasn't in Waterford on Friday but from reading other posts, Hoggy was doing fine and didn't need to be subbed in the first place.)

But the way the game went in the second half, Friday was the night that the subbing the sub made most sense.

The Bohs game where Behan was brought on....played out of position on both sides of midfield....and then taken off again was very worrying from my point of view. I know Dolan is still probably finding his feet with us, but that's not the type of change I would have expected from a championship winning manager!

You can argue that Dolan isn't afraid to correct a change he made that didn't work....but the point I'm trying to make is that he shouldn't be making so many changes that don't work, in the first place.

Is it the way he doesn't know the players well enough yet, or is it that his tactical cop-on isn't what it should be?

I know which answer I hope it is.