PDA

View Full Version : Dolan got what he deserved last night

Pages : [1] 2

SSS
19/07/2003, 8:30 AM
I take no pleasure in forming this view, but City lost to a poor Waterford last night and I don't particularly blame the players.
City made Waterford look good in the second half.

The key problem remains midfield, which is no surprise. But can anyone really claim that Dolan is using the best midfielders he has at his disposal?

Give Hedderman a chance I hear you say -he phas layed about 10 times and I haven't seen even a glimpse of proof that he is worthy of a place on the left .
As for K Murray in centre mid - he's lost there.
But I guess they have height so Dolan likes them.

As long as Dolan insists on playing two defenders in midfield, City will suffer on the pitch. Sometimes the performances of others (notably, Flynn, George and Colin T last night) will compensate, but not last night.

As for taking Hoggie off and bringing Carey in - talk about a waste. He broke up the back four who had kept a clean sheet to that point and left the invisible midfield on the pitch.

Dolan will use the smokescreen of the peno decision to cover up a disasterous second half, but lets get to the real questions - like did Dolan take lessons in substitutions from Liam Murphy!

patsh
19/07/2003, 8:41 AM
I completely agree.
This was the Rovers away game all over again.
We were well on top of Waterford, who were sh*te in the first half, same as up in Richmond.
We are winning at half time, yet come out with a sit back and let them attack us attitude.
Hedderman has had enough chances, he is not good enough.
Hoggie was playing very well, but, off he goes.:confused:
Kevin Murray was not too bad, but as a sub,maybe, not a starter yet.
OK, Connor, the scut, who could not stop a sneeze last week, made 3 great saves, but thats no excuse.
We should be finishing teams as bad as Waterford off by half time.
F*king sickening result, especially when I heard the rest of last night's results. $hels are not winning the league, the rest are giving it to them.

BTW, if the plank who told me last night that "George was the worst player on the field, is too light for soccer and should have been subbed he was so bad", is reading this, you are a complete f*cking tool !:mad:

Neil
19/07/2003, 10:42 AM
I think it's a bit unfair and also pointless getting on Dolan's back over this. It was a bad result. Sickening considering we were 1-0 up and by far a better team. But it happens.

Dolan will be the first to say that he has to fix midfield but it's easier said than done. Would you agree we have the bones of a great team? Just short possibly three players? I'm certain we'll have new signings coming soon so between now and then we just have to keep supporting them and help the team stay in with a shout of the League, Europe, the Cup.

Next season is what we're building for. Anything we win this season is a bonus.

patsh
19/07/2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Neil
I think it's a bit unfair and also pointless getting on Dolan's back over this. It was a bad result. Sickening considering we were 1-0 up and by far a better team. But it happens.

It happens too often, Neil.
Dolan seems to be very happy with a 1 nil scoreline.
It may be pointless, but I'm fairly p*ssed off with Dolan last night.

[
Dolan will be the first to say that he has to fix midfield but it's easier said than done. Would you agree we have the bones of a great team? Just short possibly three players? I'm certain we'll have new signings coming soon so between now and then we just have to keep supporting them and help the team stay in with a shout of the League, Europe, the Cup.

Next season is what we're building for. Anything we win this season is a bonus.
Fair enough, I'll support the team no matter what, and will never get on a players case, (well, ok maybe Deccie ! ) but why is he continuing to play Hedderman in the midield then ?
I don't want to be completely condeming a player, but Robbie is a passenger, he is not contributing at all. Kevin Murray needs the experience, I know, but surely Mucka would do a better job than Robbie ?
Again, we have a wide midfield player in Dave Warren, but he is not even on the bench. He is surely as good as, and is comfortable in midfield, as Robbie Hedderman, a defender.
In such a short time, we have come to really rely on Doyler a lot, and he was so badly missed last night.

Neil
19/07/2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by patsh
surely Mucka would do a better job than Robbie ?
we have a wide midfield player in Dave Warren, but he is not even on the bench. He is surely as good as, and is comfortable in midfield, as Robbie Hedderman, a defender.
I agree. I'd have Mucka and Warren in ahead of Hedderman but we may not know the 'behind-the-scene' stuff. It seems strange that Murphy AND now Dolan have frozen out Warren. More to it?

For what it's worth I'd put Billy back on the left of MF and play Hedderman at LB.

Éanna
19/07/2003, 11:13 AM

Next season is what we're building for. Anything we win this season is a bonus. it might be a bit harsh, but Ithink mos of the criticisms are justified and are purely down to peoples concern. no harm in having a say about it. I honestly believe we gifted waterford 3 points last night, and Dolan has to ship some of the blame for it.

SSS
19/07/2003, 11:27 AM

That's the main point though - it will continue to happen when the team selection and substitution decisions are inexplicable.
I agree that the team is not far from being top class, but Dolan is not maximising the potential of what he has at his disposal now. The way the league is going, City could be in with a shout if the manager plays his best players in their preferred positions.

Last night we had two passengers in midfield - unnecessarily, despite the injury problems.

( Conor's booking early on didn't do any favours either - he couldn't risk being sent off.)

Cityace
19/07/2003, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know why Devine was booked??

Does anyone know why no waaaaaaaterford players were booked even though i saw at least 2 of them throwing slaps????

Gary
19/07/2003, 1:28 PM
I actually thought Hedderman did quite well last night. Certainly not as bad as some would have u belive. As for K Murray, i thought he did quite well.

One thing which does my head in about Dolan is the fact he substitutes substitutes. That must be shattering for a players confidence,a nd that is the 3rd-4th time he has done that this season.

Apparently Dolan had strong words with McKeon after the game. McKeon reckons Dolan could have started a riot.

As for Waaaaaherfur saying it was their biggest crowd of the season? there were only 2000 max at that game last night.

Neil
19/07/2003, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Apparently Dolan had strong words with McKeon after the game. McKeon reckons Dolan could have started a riot.

I heard an interview on RedFM this morning which was done stragiht after the game last night in the tunnel....

Dolan was on about the penalty and then McKeon passed by so Dolan grabbed him and asked him what he gave the peno for...

For putting two hands on the ball I think is what he said.

razor
19/07/2003, 2:40 PM
I think it's a bit unfair and also pointless getting on Dolan's back over this.

What total rubbish, Dolan is the manager, the club lives or dies by his decisions, last night we died by them.

We outplayed Waterford in the 1st half and we showed ourselves to be far superior to them.
In the 2nd half we sat back, allowed them to come on to us, our midfield disappeared and we paid the price.

We needed a change in the midfield, Hedderman is rubbish get him out, K. Murray is a bit young and wasn't up to it last night,
What does Dolan do ?, he tampers with the back 4 which is doing alright up to now and the sub he puts on costs us the game.

Yes we lost to a ridiculous decision, but Dolan will only use this to cover up his own obvious inadequacies.

I said before that I would give him a chance but as we move through the season I can honestly say I have no confidence in Dolans ability as a manager with Cork City FC.

U know what comes next !!!

Colm
19/07/2003, 2:42 PM
Lads, it's one loss, one minor setback. Dolan needs to be given time and I'm confident he will ultimately bring us success.

Anyway, I didn't think anyone played particularly well last night, Colin T was one of the few that had a reasonable game.
Dan Connor was acting the knacker last night but if we had a player doing the same to our advantage we'd think it was great!

The ref was screwing us throughout and, from where I was, it didn't look like a penalty. I actually thought he was going to give a free. For the ref to be coming out saying things like 'Dolan could have started a riot' is an admission of gulit in my book, McKeon is a absolute disgrace and, in the words of Guersie last night, "I'm ****ing sick of this Dublin bias".:mad:

Colm
19/07/2003, 2:50 PM
Originally posted by razor
I said before that I would give him a chance but as we move through the season I can honestly say I have no confidence in Dolans ability as a manager with Cork City FC.

What a load of boll0cks! Go away ya ****ing fool, I haven't heard someone come out with something that stupid for a long time.

How can you say you have no confidence in Dolan's ability as a manager? You only have to look at his record throughout his managerial career to realise he is a talented manager who brings success. He would be a huge asset for any club and we are lucky to have him.
We are third in the league with a game in hand, I know for a fact that, if they were being realistic, most City fans would have been happy with that at the start of the season.

Neil
19/07/2003, 2:50 PM
We needed a change in the midfield
But thats the problem!
We haven't any real options in midfield. Hedderman is a centre half. Doyler is/was a striker.

WE NEED TO SIGN MIDFIELDERS. And we will but until then we have to patch things up. And to be in 3rd place in the League with a patched-up team is not bad.

Give it time.

Neil
19/07/2003, 2:55 PM
I can honestly say I have no confidence in Dolans ability as a manager with Cork City FC.

UNDER DOLAN:
Players fitness has improved. The players themselves will say that.
Match-day routines have improved. The City squad get to away games with plenty of time to relax and prepare.
All the off the field activities have a lot to do with Dolans enthusiasm and professionalism.

Actually f*ck this.
If you can't see what Dolan brings to city, forget it.

SSS
19/07/2003, 4:15 PM
But thats the problem!
We haven't any real options in midfield. Hedderman is a centre half. Doyler is/was a striker.

WE NEED TO SIGN MIDFIELDERS. And we will but until then we have to patch things up. And to be in 3rd place in the League with a patched-up team is not bad.

Give it time.

I disagree with the assertion that we have no real options here.

LM: Billy Woods. Aswell as he is doing at LB, Hoggie can play there, or even Hedderman. Hoggie at LB leaves Carey as a reasonable RB ( a better RB than Hedderman is a LM anyway)

RM: Colin T, Warren, Mucka.

CM: Conor & Colin T. Possibly George with Colin P or Behan coming in up front. Even Hoggie was once a CM so he'd have some glimmer of positional sense etc

What I'm saying is that there is NO NEED to play 2 defenders in midfield, even with the current shortage of class midfielders.

Pop Question: If you lack a top class midfielder, what do you do:
(a) play the midfielders you have (who "know" the position) or
(b) play some defenders out of position, and even when it doesn't work out, persist anyway.

tiktok
19/07/2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by SSS
Pop Question: If you lack a top class midfielder, what do you do:
(a) play the midfielders you have (who "know" the position) or
(b) play some defenders out of position, and even when it doesn't work out, persist anyway.

i'd agree with that SSS, we all say that we are lacking a bit of attacking ability in midfield, why not give george a run there with Behan up front.

we say we are soft in midfield, but we're not short of midfielders, tomorrow, even with greg injured we could put

CT O'Brien__O'Grady__O'Callaghan__Woods or
CT O'Brien__O'Grady__O'Callaghan__Warren/Mucky (if you like woods at LB)
or any combination of them in.

there are options there to try without persisting with something that's not working

niamh
20/07/2003, 1:19 PM
I think we all know that players are currently being played out of their best positions because we've not got a squad with depth but Dolan is trying to improve that and it will take more than a couple of months. How long has he been in the job and people are on his back?
I was not sure about his appointment but he deserves a fair chance and AT LEAST a season or two in charge before people can start drawing any definite conclusions.

Éanna
20/07/2003, 2:11 PM
If i was dolan reading the kind of crap people are posting here, i'd say "right, fu*k ye so" and leave. What the hell is wrong with people? A third of the way through the season, we could be in second if we win our game in hand and we nearly made the league cup final- looks ok to me! It's a lot better than we have been for the last 3 or 4 years. We have 10 full time professionals and probably the best trained squad in our clubs history and people are still whinging :rolleyes:

By all means criticise and question where you see fit, but saying you have no confidence in the guy? Come off it. The least the man deserves is a full season to show us what he can do, any fair person would give him that. Anyone getting on his back already, we're better off without

foureyes
20/07/2003, 2:46 PM
Originally posted by niamh
I think we all know that players are currently being played out of their best positions because we've not got a squad with depth but Dolan is trying to improve that and it will take more than a couple of months. How long has he been in the job and people are on his back?
I was not sure about his appointment but he deserves a fair chance and AT LEAST a season or two in charge before people can start drawing any definite conclusions.

Yeah he deserves a couple of seasons but what then? Call me pessimistic but we said that about our last two managers aswell. Every season seems to be a season of building and I'm sorry to say that I'm of the 'if we lose against shels in the cup our season is over' brigade. Whats to look forward to then? Racing for the intertoto spot?

Does this make me less of a fan? Maybe. I know its not a popular opinion on here but I'd say, in fact I know, that its the way a lot of people think. Whats the incentive for players like John and George to stay if we arent really challenging? Ollie went to Shels and now theyre going for the league, Coughlan at Bohs is in a similar position. I've been following City since 94/95 and all we've won is one cup (I dont count that piece of **** league cup), every other season we've been nearly men or also rans.

In almost all of those seasons I felt we had a chance at the league so its no consolation to say to myself half way through the season "ah next year boy".

Éanna
20/07/2003, 3:05 PM
Originally posted by foureyes
In almost all of those seasons I felt we had a chance at the league so its no consolation to say to myself half way through the season "ah next year boy".
I know what you mean there, but I think the last season or two we haven't really had a chance at the league because we simply didn't have the professionalism (fitness etc) to match bohs and shels. That professionalism is what dolan is after, and I think off the field we have made huge strides, the squad are fitter than ever, so thats half the battle. the challenge for this season is to prepare ourselves for next season, when IMO we HAVE to be realistic title contenders

Hung Daddy
20/07/2003, 3:52 PM
What was Dolan playing at the other night, it's one thing to change around the midfield but you must have a first choice starting back four. Horgan didn't look too clever on the right, why does he insist on playing half the team out of position. He also did himself no favours by chasing after the referee at the end, I agree it was a terrible discision he made for the peno but we had it coming after the mugging against UCD, Bring on $hel$, if we beat them the cup is ours for the taking :-)

razor
21/07/2003, 9:24 AM
Originally posted by foureyes

This is exactly how I feel.
Its too bloody early in the season to be saying that our season is over and if we lose Friday it is.

I don't feel the current team will win anything.
Dolans tactics are confusing to say the least,
1. playing players out of position,
2. not using a sub keeper,
3. not using subs full stop. (until its too late)

I've been supporting this club too bloody long, and I care too much to let any one player or manager over shadow how I feel.

Its heart breaking to see another season pass us by.

Neil
21/07/2003, 9:30 AM
our season is over and if we lose Friday it is.

Dolans tactics are confusing to say the least,

Its heart breaking to see another season pass us by.

I hear what your saying, and agree with a lot of it BUT....

1. Even if we lose Friday we still have a lot to play for... League is doubtful but coming second (UEFA spot) or third (European) wouldn't be bad.
2. Dolans tactics are partly a result of not having enough good players in the squad.
3. Of course it's heart breaking but this season was always going to be a steadying season (mainly off the pitch) after the mess that the old Board, Gunther and davey BArry left us in.

Don't lose faith!

SÓC
21/07/2003, 3:04 PM
Lads think people need to calm down. If we win our game in hand we'll be in second place in the league and that is with no midfield. Dolan said when he came in he'd give the players at the club a go first, he's done that some worked some didnt.

About the game plan of 1-0 up away from home and defending, I think that is the right thing to do. Sit back defend and hit the home team on the counter. One incident changed the game, City 1-0 up Flynny was running in on goal, he normally runs with the ball and scores but instead he hit a very week poor shot at the keeper, Connor sends the ball up the field and Waterford score. A very thin line between a good win and a defeat.

Defending is as much a part of a good team as going forward. I really dont see a problem with the tactic, we just needed a better midfield in there.

SSS
21/07/2003, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Lads think people need to calm down. If we win our game in hand we'll be in second place in the league and that is with no midfield. Dolan said when he came in he'd give the players at the club a go first, he's done that some worked some didnt.

True, but if the team hadn't sat back in the second half and if Dolan was playing players in position we'd now be in second already, only four points off the top with that same game in hand.

As for giving players a chance - he seems to have more chances to some (Hedderman, Murray) than others (Warren).

Neil
21/07/2003, 5:39 PM
SSS, what did you expect or hope for from Cork City this season?

I thought at the start of the season that until we properly replaced Reynolds we didn't have a hope of winning the League. And I still think that is the main thing we have to sort out. Until then I just think we have to put up with playing fellas out of position and not hammering teams that normally we should.

tiktok
21/07/2003, 6:01 PM
Neil, i'm with you on that, at the start of the season i wasn't expecting much, giving Dolan time to put his stamp on the squad and regretting the loss of rennie (who i still think was our best player last season despite all that's gone on since).

but we're all sick of perennially being bridesmaids, bohs and shels are poor this year, shels are getting by drawing with those about them and thrashing those at the bottom (save the UCD result last friday, which only goes to show how poor they are in reality).

even thought i would have been delighted with a european place at the begginging of the season, when i look about the league i don't see any reason why we shouldn't consider ourselves real title contenders.

but once we stay in touch (we need to avoid results like last friday) and sign a few players to sort out midfield we could be in with a shot. it'd just be a shame to end up second or third by three or four points and be able to point back to individual games like the waterford one where we should have come away with something.

SSS
21/07/2003, 6:20 PM
SSS, what did you expect or hope for from Cork City this season?

I thought at the start of the season that until we properly replaced Reynolds we didn't have a hope of winning the League. And I still think that is the main thing we have to sort out. Until then I just think we have to put up with playing fellas out of position and not hammering teams that normally we should.

I'm not talking about the team not meeting anyones expectations.
I'm talking about them not reaching their own existing potential.
However many points City get this season, they'd have got more if team selection reflected the strengths the squad has even at this stage. And a couple more if they didn't consciously defend too deep too early when 1-0 up.

Put it this way: Hands up who thinks Hedderman should be LM?
(not counting King Dolan, who I have mostly positive thoughts about as a manager btw)

patsh
21/07/2003, 6:25 PM
I think it's been kind of said by other posters, but when you look at the league, no one is winning it, Shels are getting it by default.
We are close enough, I know, but looking at the league and the squad we have, we should not be 8 points behind, and possibly should be leading.

Neil
21/07/2003, 6:31 PM
Originally posted by SSS
However many points City get this season, they'd have got more if team selection reflected the strengths the squad has even at this stage. And a couple more if they didn't consciously defend too deep too early when 1-0 up.
But you can't say that for sure!
Lots of people were saying at the start of the season that Napier should have been in the team. But it was only last week we all understood why he wasn't (it was more to do with himself not having the time to dedicate)

Originally posted by SSS
Put it this way: Hands up who thinks Hedderman should be LM?
I don't think he should be.

My team for Shels (for what it's worth):

Devine
Hoggie Murray Benno Hedderman
Carey Packer CTOB Woods
GOC JOF

SSS
21/07/2003, 8:05 PM

My team for Shels (for what it's worth):

Devine
Hoggie Murray Benno Hedderman
Carey Packer CTOB Woods
GOC JOF

Devine
Hoggie Benno Dan Woods
Warren Colin T Conor Packer
JOF GOC

Behan, Colin P, Carey, Murray K, Mucka

...I'm taking chance on Packer being able to play wide and on Conor staying in form ( W'ford was difficult when he was booked ealy on).
I can't see a place for Hedderman and I think Carey's efforts at RM in pre-season were poor enough.

tiktok
21/07/2003, 8:27 PM
Packer lined out at left midfield for the U21's according to previous posts and in the little that's available on the net he seems to have played wing back and centre midfield in OZ, and apparently he's pretty pacey. Dolan gave him a quick run the last night, and now is probably trying to get his match fitness up. my team would be

Devine

Hoggy Murray Bennett Woods
Colin T O'Callaghan O'Grady Packer
Behan O'Flynn

although i think SSS is spot on with what it will be

patsh
21/07/2003, 8:45 PM
Originally posted by SSS
Devine
Hoggie Benno Dan Woods
Warren Colin T Conor Packer
JOF GOC

Behan, Colin P, Carey, Murray K, Mucka

Almost the same, SSS.
I think it will be:

Devine
Hoggie Benno Dan Woods
Colin T Conor Packer Hedderman
JOF GOC

I don't think Dave Warren is going to get a game from Dolan, and I think he is going to persist wih Robbie.

Éanna
21/07/2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
even thought i would have been delighted with a european place at the begginging of the season, when i look about the league i don't see any reason why we shouldn't consider ourselves real title contenders.

but once we stay in touch (we need to avoid results like last friday) and sign a few players to sort out midfield we could be in with a shot

I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but the second part of that post pretty much answers the first, IF we sign players.

tiktok
21/07/2003, 11:57 PM
All i was saying is that while at the beginning of the season i was willing to take third or fourth, it was because i believed that rebuilding would leave us well behind bohs and shels.

now i see that they're no better off than us and i'm no longer happy to be an also ran. i'm sick of winning nothing.

i think we're good enough to win the league if we sort out midfield, but if we keep throwing away points and games like we did friday or against rovers, then by the time the midfielders arrive it probably will be too little too late.

Éanna
22/07/2003, 12:07 AM
I know what you meant, and I wasn't trying to be smart , as I said. I think we have a golden opportunity the way the league is going right now, but I'm just afraid that (as can happen) our opportunity has come too soon. Hope I'm wrong

Dylan
22/07/2003, 3:25 PM
"Yes we lost to a ridiculous decision, but Dolan will only use this to cover up his own obvious inadequacies.

I said before that I would give him a chance but as we move through the season I can honestly say I have no confidence in Dolans ability as a manager with Cork City FC. "

Dolans obvious inadequacies! Are you for real?
For F@cks Sake get off the mans back, we've had a few bad results, a fair few bad refs, but we're still up there.
Pat Dolan is the best manager in the League, and we were lucky to get him. In time,he will make us the top club in the country. A bit of support is needed when things go wrong, I remember the same things being said a few months into Dave Barry's term,he's clueless etc.
It's true what they say about Cork crowds, theres as fickle as they come.

Troy.McClure
22/07/2003, 4:35 PM
My 2 cents

__________Devine
Hoggie - Benno - Murry - Woods
_Colin Snr - O'Grady - Warren
_________ George
______CPOB - O'Flynn

Give George a free role to link up the midfield with the strikers ala Scholes/Ronaldinho

CTOB or Warren to move onto the wing that play is at and the other player into the middle then. When we are attacking, leave the wing back who has the space infront of him push up (ie if Warren is on the wing, then Colin Snr has pushed in to the centre, let Hoggie go as a winger, kind of like Carlos at Real). Goerge would provide good chances for the 2 strikers instead of having to rely on O'Flynn all the time.

Everybody is in a familiar position, our so far succesful defence is still intact (although would probably have lore pressure on them) and we have 3 dedicated attacking players. Not that this will ever happen or anything, but if I were the manager... :D

razor
23/07/2003, 7:32 AM
Originally posted by Dylan
It's true what they say about Cork crowds, theres as fickle as they come.

I think the whole reference to a fickle Cork crowd you speak of is not relevant here.

The people who post here are for the most part the hardcore who have been supporting City home and away for many years.

Myself personally am just sick to my stomach of being runners up and being satisfied with an Inter Toto spot etc etc.

I want what every fan should want for their club and that is success.

And if you've a problem with that then tough

James
23/07/2003, 11:42 AM
I think the whole reference to a fickle Cork crowd you speak of is not relevant here.

The people who post here are for the most part the hardcore who have been supporting City home and away for many years.

Myself personally am just sick to my stomach of being runners up and being satisfied with an Inter Toto spot etc etc.

I want what every fan should want for their club and that is success.

And if you've a problem with that then tough

indeed
the second place finish behind the fulltime dubs, possibly beatiing 1 of them into the 2bob cup and shure hopefully we'll have cup run, retain the munster senior cup. and shure havent we only got young players... etc etc. and thats a good season mentality is a load of tosh and something gunther was always happy to hide behind.

i can only hope that dolan doesnt go down this road, but i think he wont
its gona take time for him to build the right team on and off the pitch.
hopefully he'll get it right

Neil
23/07/2003, 12:52 PM
It takes time lads.
And it's not fair blaming Dolan for the inept rubbish that we've been witness to for the last few years. The blame there lies with the like of Liam Murphy, Dave Barry, Noel O'Mahoney x2, Terry Dunne, Plonk etc.

Éanna
23/07/2003, 10:40 PM

Fair point as well. I just think that people don't realise what dolan has in front of him: not only does he have to mould his own side and start challenging, he has to tidy up the mess gunther and the previous board left, build a rapport with fans, and try to professionalise the club. If he was to get that done in a year, it would be some going

tiktok
23/07/2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
he has to tidy up the mess gunther and the previous board left, build a rapport with fans, and try to professionalise the club.

to be fair, apart from reynolds leaving, Gunther had left excellent groundwork for Dolan to build on, whatever about the man's ability to motivate the team and change tactics mid game, he did have an eye for bringing in talent.

as to the board, i think that's more lennox's department, the club had already begun to make strides in that department last season, and now there is a team about the club to get it heading in the right direction, including the move towards being fully professional. although Pat is an important link in that particular chain.

while it's good to have a rapport with fans, i'd sooner have a winning manager i hate, than a losing one i love.

but i do think that we can have the best of both in Dolan and i agree that he has only begun and that we should be more patient with him

liamon
24/07/2003, 11:16 AM
i'm no longer happy to be an also ran. i'm sick of winning nothing.

but i do think that we can have the best of both in Dolan and i agree that he has only begun and that we should be more patient with him

Tiktok, you're no longer happy to be an also ran, but you're happy to give Dolan time. Get back on the schizo medication. Or else cut back on the Miller.

Anyway, we still haven't sorted out our midfield. With our captain now out for the rest of the season, we're even weaker than before. I think we'll do well to grab a european place this year and that's good enough for now.

We've made some great progress off the pitch, which I don't care about really. It's nice, but .......

On the pitch, we've got much fitter. we're getting results away from home. Doyle is a great addition. Our defence is solid. Couple of added midfield players and we can think about mounting a serious challenge. Maybe Packer is one of those new midfield players we need. We'll see in time.

I expect to be challenging for the league next year. Dolan deserves that long at least. Until then, be patient.
It's unfair to expect a manager to win the league in his first season.

Colm
24/07/2003, 1:09 PM
Originally posted by liamon
We've made some great progress off the pitch, which I don't care about really.

That's a very stupid statement to make. It is that off the pitch progress which will ensure consistant success in the future. For now, I would consider the progress we make off the pitch just as important as the progress we make on the pitch.

Neil
24/07/2003, 1:18 PM
Originally posted by Colm
It is that off the pitch progress which will ensure consistant success in the future. For now, I would consider the progress we make off the pitch just as important as the progress we make on the pitch.
This season I'd consider it even more important

liamon
24/07/2003, 4:32 PM
OK. I didn't explain myself well. Off the pitch stuff is important.
But I wouldn't care what a shambles that side of the club is in, if we could manage to win stuff on the pitch.

Obviously, in reality you need the two sides of the club running well to have a chance of success.

My point, obviously not well made, is that Dolan is doing well. Aside from the great off the pitch stuff, he's making progress on the pitch as well.

Give him time and lay off the demands to win everything in sight this year.

Éanna
24/07/2003, 5:17 PM
to be fair, apart from reynolds leaving, Gunther had left excellent groundwork for Dolan to build on
Don't agree. You can have the best players in the world but if they're disillusioned and lack motivation they won't be much good. The athmosphere in the dressing room can't have been great, he had that to repair as well.

But I wouldn't care what a shambles that side of the club is in, if we could manage to win stuff on the pitch.

Like Cork Hibs and Cork Celtic? Like City nearly did? There's fu*k all point winning the league if you go bust a year later!

tiktok
24/07/2003, 6:27 PM
Tiktok, you're no longer happy to be an also ran, but you're happy to give Dolan time. Get back on the schizo medication. Or else cut back on the Miller.

is there an alternative? i'll be angry about being an also ran a lot longer if some people get their way and we have to start again with another new manager.

Originally posted by Éanna
You can have the best players in the world but if they're disillusioned and lack motivation they won't be much good. The athmosphere in the dressing room can't have been great, he had that to repair as well.

if you have the players there to start with it's still groundwork to build on regardless of whether they have smiles or scowls.