PDA

View Full Version : Best Ever Football Game

Pages : [1] 2

Dr. Ogba
10/04/2008, 2:11 PM
Surprised there hasn't been a thread for this already but here goes...

Has to be Kick Off 2 on the Amiga for me, not exactly for the realism but purely for the speed, playability and skill required to master the bloody thing. A lot of people would go for sensible soccer from that era but, for me, that game was just for people that weren't skillful enough to play KO2. Plus you had the added bonus of being able to score from the halfway line and being able to get half of your team sent off if you had a card-happy ref....good times!!

Maybe I'm showing my age here (bah!) but must say that the pro-evo's and fifa's of this world pale in comparison! in playability terms that is....

superfrank
10/04/2008, 2:14 PM
Konami's International Superstar Soccer (or something similar) on the Super Nintendo is my favourite game ever. I used to play it for hours. Unfortunately, noone has Nintendos anymore.

After that, FIFA 98, with all the countries of FIFA and the indoor 5-a-side game.

Football Manager is plenty fun, but not in the same vein.

tetsujin1979
10/04/2008, 2:56 PM
After that, FIFA 98, with all the countries of FIFA and the indoor 5-a-side game.

Yeah, that indoor mode was great craic, still beats the hell out of some full price games like FIFA Street :rolleyes:

Block G Raptor
10/04/2008, 3:00 PM
Konami's International Superstar Soccer (or something similar) on the Super Nintendo is my favourite game ever. I used to play it for hours. Unfortunately, noone has Nintendos anymore.

Football Manager is plenty fun, but not in the same vein.

Download an emulator. was just playing International Superstar Soccer on my PC the other day using a snes emulator. most of the games are free to download as they are no longer available and/or no longer covered by copyright

passinginterest
10/04/2008, 3:06 PM
Fifa Road to World Cup 98 was my favourite. Wore the disk out. Featured Blur's Song 2 on the soundtrack.

jbyrne
10/04/2008, 3:08 PM
sensible world of soccer as you could manage the team as well as play. absolutely adictive in my student days

anto1208
10/04/2008, 3:08 PM
Hated kick off it was way too easy . Match day 2 on the spectrum one of the first games to attempt the side on view, is my early favourite . Sensi was good aswell but to simplistic.

But never revisit the games i thought it would be a good laugh to download sensi for the xbox 360 sweet jesus was that game terrible and i think that was the one released in 96 ( world of sensi soccer)and was hailed as the best thing ever.

Pro evo is the king there is no contest fond childhood memories are clouding judgment here i think. Pro evo 5 i think on ps2 was the pinicle of footy games.

None of the Fifa games could hold a candle to it .

ISS is from konami but from a different division than Pro evo but if you really want to go way back to the NES 8bit Hyper soccer was the first of the Pro evo / ISS games from konami it was at the time amazing.

bellavistaman
10/04/2008, 3:12 PM
Pro Ev, nothing comes near it. Fifa 2002 was top class but went totally down hill from there.

jebus
10/04/2008, 3:15 PM
FIFA Road to World Cup 98 beats the daylights out of any other footie console game, the only game to ever get free kicks spot on. Pro Evo 2 gets an honourable mention, but nothing has come close to RtWC for me. I still have my SNES and play ISS quite a bit though, it's still fun to be honest

superfrank
10/04/2008, 3:18 PM
How do you get SNES?

anto1208
10/04/2008, 3:42 PM
How do you get SNES?

First get a flux capacitator and a Delorian.........

Ebay should have them .... mine got robbed :mad:

superfrank
10/04/2008, 3:43 PM

Sorry meant SNES emulator.

Pike B
10/04/2008, 3:44 PM

I ROBBED IT... :D

passinginterest
10/04/2008, 3:48 PM
I ROBBED IT... :D

Limerick heads, not happy with stabbing in the back now they're stabbing in the past! :D

Block G Raptor
10/04/2008, 3:49 PM
Sorry meant SNES emulator.

It's just a simple Download,SNES9x is what I use and also CCS64 great Commodore 64 emulator
Google for it. Don't want to post links here coz I'm not sure of the legality of them

Dr. Ogba
10/04/2008, 3:54 PM

I still have a n64 knocking about somewhere actually, must dig it out for a game of ISS if only for its class commentary "and the midfield battle rages on..." :D

superfrank
10/04/2008, 3:54 PM
It's just a simple Download,SNES9x is what I use and also CCS64 great Commodore 64 emulator
Google for it. Don't want to post links here coz I'm not sure of the legality of them
Cheers.

jebus
10/04/2008, 4:00 PM
How do you get SNES?

E Bay, there's loads of them there for about €70, well worth it

gilberto_eire
10/04/2008, 4:00 PM
Fifa Road to World Cup 98 was my favourite. Wore the disk out. Featured Blur's Song 2 on the soundtrack.

I'd say that was the first game to use songs by artists. Now that i think of it, this was probably the best ''pound for pound'' if you compare it to even '97 it was mind-blowing, i remember going into Smyths in Galway(everyone used to go in and play games against each other) when it was released and just going ''WOW''

Pro Ev, nothing comes near it. Fifa 2002 was top class but went totally down hill from there.

FIFA 2002 and was the last of the FIFA series been on top, me and a few friends ALWAYS used to play this game, we used to do UEFA cups(2 legs) and have a leg each against each other to try knock one another out, used to always pick Anderlecht and Leeds(Leeds had a great side then) and would normally whoop the lads:cool:.
Very good aspect in that game was the R1 L2/ R2 L2 to swerve the ball in the direction of the back button, long goals were also possible in this one!!.

Year after that we turned to ''Pro Evo 3'', the next FIFA i believe was when they started to slow it down and introduce many aspects which are still there today.

Can only wonder if FIFA kept progressing from 2002, like they had been up until that, what could have been!!

superfrank
10/04/2008, 8:12 PM
Now have ISS again thanks to the emulator and it's so nostalgic.

"No foul?!?"

"Goal, goal, GOAL!"

bellavistaman
10/04/2008, 8:16 PM
I still have a n64 knocking about somewhere actually, must dig it out for a game of ISS if only for its class commentary "and the midfield battle rages on..." :D

"its a fight for aerial domination." and the difference in tones for each country

Dodge
10/04/2008, 8:18 PM
Pro Evo on the wii. Just played it for a couple of hours.

Beats every other football game by a million miles. Won't be playing the "conventional" games again

dfx-
10/04/2008, 8:53 PM
Now have ISS again thanks to the emulator and it's so nostalgic.

"No foul?!?"

"Goal, goal, GOAL!"

:D:cool:

"It's a biiiiiiig kick!"

ifk101
11/04/2008, 7:19 AM
Sensible Soccer on the amiga was a top game in its day - it had everything; great gameplay and a management mode for countless leagues. I have it now on the xbox360 but unfortunately something's missing, it doesn't feel like the game I remember.

Pro Evolution is the best football game these days although the latest game is no good (xbox360 version).

Block G Raptor
11/04/2008, 10:11 AM
emlyn hughes International Soccer on the C64 is the most playable/easy footie game IMO plus I love the way you can change the players names and skill level

GavinZac
11/04/2008, 10:41 AM
Pro Evo on the wii. Just played it for a couple of hours.

Beats every other football game by a million miles. Won't be playing the "conventional" games again

I'm not buying this yet as I'm afraid it'll mean bye bye to my course. It looks unbelievable, good to see that someone can confirm the control scheme isn't madness.

The best ever football game that I've played? I love pro evolution and the conventional championship/football manager (by SI/Sega, not the sh!te churned out by Eidos with the same name) but i've been playing Football Manager Live lately and honestly its going to ruin me. Its immersive, detailed if you want it to be, action packed, its multiplayer so you don't get bored of fooling the computer, and the entire FM database of players is available.

Neish
11/04/2008, 5:33 PM
1. Pro Evo
2. Sensible Soccer
3. Super Soccer

Football manager/Championship Manager should be 1st if were counting managment sims

Bluebeard
11/04/2008, 10:24 PM
From my limited experience, I'd rate the best pre-PC as being Microprose Soccer on the Commodore 64 (Thumb numbingly playable, even if you could beat Scotland 9 or 10 nil with Oman in a minute a half game). Of the ones I've played since the advent of the PC, I'd rate the FIFA World Cup 98 (though it sounds like I may be talking about Road to World Cup?) really highly.

Management sim wise, the pre-PC giant in my book was Tracksuit Manager, despite some really weird tactics being remarkably successful (2-2-6 won my sister the world cup for Ireland?!?). PC wise, it is probably Championship Manager 01/02, I think. Damned Vista won't let me play it though:mad:

Spudd
11/04/2008, 11:54 PM
Anyone remember Italia90 on the snes/sega megadrive..cant really remember...

All u could see were heads of hair and the odd leg when you kicked the ball...

The sounds of a tackle where priceless...

And the goal celebration....a still shot of the Same guy...different jersey!

:D

harpstilidie
12/04/2008, 11:23 AM
Anyone remember Italia90 on the snes/sega megadrive..cant really remember...

All u could see were heads of hair and the odd leg when you kicked the ball...

The sounds of a tackle where priceless...

And the goal celebration....a still shot of the Same guy...different jersey!

:D

Remember it well. Loved it back then. You could always score some sweet goals and the tackles were funny. :D

gilberto_eire
12/04/2008, 6:44 PM
Remember it well. Loved it back then. You could always score some sweet goals and the tackles were funny. :D

Ya the days when all teams were equal :D

Goalie was like having a new born baby in the goal, you just make him come to one side and aim the other!. I had that on the 3 game cartridge with either a motorbike game/Monaco GP and i think the other was a tetris style game!!:D

jebus
12/04/2008, 6:53 PM
Ya the days when all teams were equal :D

Goalie was like having a new born baby in the goal, you just make him come to one side and aim the other!. I had that on the 3 game cartridge with either a motorbike game/Monaco GP and i think the other was a tetris style game!!:D

Had that as well, the tetris style game was called Columns. I rememeber trhe penalty shootouts on Italia 90 were particularly excellent :D

gilberto_eire
12/04/2008, 8:44 PM
Had that as well, the tetris style game was called Columns. I rememeber trhe penalty shootouts on Italia 90 were particularly excellent :D

Actaully now that i think of it they were HILARIOUS, i

f you dived too early he would just be lying there on the ground with his arms streched out until the kick was taken :D

SligoBrewer
12/04/2008, 9:30 PM
I'm not buying this yet as I'm afraid it'll mean bye bye to my course. It looks unbelievable, good to see that someone can confirm the control scheme isn't madness.

Me too. Waiting til i finish my summer exams before I buy the greatest football game ever.

boovidge
12/04/2008, 10:12 PM

:D best game ever

"NO FOUL THE REFEREE SAYS!!"
"pass"
"Defender passes to..Midfielder"
"THERES A FIGHT FOR AERIAL DOMINATION!!"
"WHAT A CRACKER!"

gilberto_eire
13/04/2008, 1:24 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uCJ4RuBROcU :D

Edit: Moved Smiley

Terry
13/04/2008, 10:51 AM
theres nothing on that link?

ForzaWexford
13/04/2008, 11:11 AM
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=uCJ4RuBROcU

That's it there, the smiley was kinda stuck onto the end of it so wouldn't work.

Woo Hoo!

Lionel Ritchie
13/04/2008, 11:43 AM
A few quirky things in the fifa games used always annoy me and they never seemed to debug them ...goalies having number 2 shirts? ...only being able to display 10 out of 11 players on the teamsheet and having to scroll down to see the last one.

Sensible Soccer gets my vote for best btw.

inexile
13/04/2008, 5:29 PM
takes a lot to annoy lionel doesnt it, your very laid back!!!

Lionel Ritchie
13/04/2008, 6:24 PM
takes a lot to annoy lionel doesnt it, your very laid back!!!

I think they're reasonable complaints that it shouldn't have taken a genius to fix yet they were there for years.

I picked up FIFA 2007 recently and they've fixed some of the things but I still find the gameplay clanky.

Just trying to get a player to turn around is like trying to turn a car ferry. Some of the options for tackling either simply don't work or are completely one dimensional.

The "sprint" (R1) button is an ornament when you're off the ball and takes three or four seconds to kick in when you're on it.

You have to be close enough to a player to be frankly riding him for any tackle that isn't going to result in a foul to actually work and meanwhile the computer can execute effective legal tackles all the time -particularily if you go near the "shoot" button -and can do so with it's player in a different time zone to yours.

I don't think I'm looking for the game to be easy -just consistent.

Morbo
16/04/2008, 1:38 PM
on the PC SWOS was the most enjoyable for me, anyone remember 'Kick n Run' in the arcades? remember playing it around the late 80's early 90's, finally beat the game with a MAME emulator

gaiscĂ­och
18/04/2008, 9:15 AM
Does anyone remember striker on the s'nes. It was class the indoor games were the best from the keeper to the midfielder and the back of the net pure gold. You could score from the same position every time.
Now-a-days the best game around has to be Pes the game play is un-natural. So realistic. Does anyone play it on xbox live????

ken foree
18/04/2008, 10:22 AM
int'l superstar soccer pro '98 for me. incredible balance of depth and action. it's a konami game but i think was built by a different group than the pro evo fellas. it came out on the playstation and your players' morale was indicated by a little bouncing emoticon in the line-ups. ash-grey for basically injured and unuseable all the way to seething red for sh1t-hot. great, great game. for all their technical approximations of the real thing, i think the fifa and pro evo games simply aren't much fun. when playing them i always feel like a puppeteer getting all his wires and strings crossed.

pro evo = Subbuteo
iss pro '98 = Striker (the one where you pushed the player's head down to kick) ;)

ken foree
18/04/2008, 11:57 AM
wow didn't realize there'd be ISS fans still kicking around, hope you're enjoying it superfrank. cue up some 'super stupid' for background music!

Wolfie
18/04/2008, 1:31 PM
From my limited experience, I'd rate the best pre-PC as being Microprose Soccer on the Commodore 64 (Thumb numbingly playable, even if you could beat Scotland 9 or 10 nil with Oman in a minute a half game).

I think I had that game myself. The game-play was from a birds eye viewing perspective - if that makes sense.

You could also put a vicious curl on the ball as well. Usually with great success against the hapless Oman. Which was nice.

Bluebeard
21/04/2008, 1:27 PM
I think I had that game myself. The game-play was from a birds eye viewing perspective - if that makes sense.

You could also put a vicious curl on the ball as well. Usually with great success against the hapless Oman. Which was nice.

That's the one alright - you could score a goal from the corner flag if you put enough curl on it.

Wangball
21/04/2008, 1:36 PM
My cousin & I used to have epic games of Striker on the SNES - 45 minutes a half indoors with throws or corners it has so quick and intense he had an asthma attack when we were playing it once (he blames dust mites - but I think it had more to do with my frantic harried style of play) it was by far the best football game I have ever played, truen enough the graphics now seem manky but for pure gameplay it was awesome

Block G Raptor
21/04/2008, 2:14 PM
That's the one alright - you could score a goal from the corner flag if you put enough curl on it.

Used to do that time after time after time after time and it never got boring :o
beating oman 35-0 with 35 identical goals. ....great craic

jebus
21/04/2008, 2:22 PM
Used to do that time after time after time after time and it never got boring :o
beating oman 35-0 with 35 identical goals. ....great craic

Is this the game that had music playing over it, used to go something like, dih-dih-dih dih-dih-dih-dih dududududu dumdadadum, dih-dih-dih and so on, the dududududumdadadum part being the lull between scoring a goal and the kick off (yes it would literally take you all of a dih-dih-dih-dih dih-dih-dih-dih to run the length of the pitch and score).

Well that was one of the more incoherant posts of my foot life, I feel a bit like Baileban used to feel on a daily basis around here I'd imagine :)