PDA

View Full Version : Galway Utd vrs Cork City.

Pages : [1] 2

eamo1
10/04/2008, 1:00 PM
Billy has a selection problem of a different kind with players returning from injury etc.Thought O'Flynn did well when he came on in Tuesdays game,he looked sharper then Glynn anyway.I'd probably start the 2 of them up front though.No news on derek yet but id have no problem putting Russell left as he played there tuesday night and did really well.We still look a bit shaky at the back though.
Rodgers
Reggie Lester Fitz Keane
O'Shea Deegan Foley Russell
O'Flynn Glynn
Thats a pretty strong looking team i think but Billy probably has other ideas.
What do ye think?

Demoshield
10/04/2008, 1:16 PM
Russell may be out also.Broke a bone in his hand depends what sort of a cast is on it.
Rouse must be close to knocking Rogers off his perch.

eamo1
10/04/2008, 1:26 PM
Had no idea that that happened to Russell.Ya,Rousse looked good and made a few impressive stops from one on ones the last night.His kick-outs stayed in play AND cleared the half way line too:).

Demoshield
10/04/2008, 2:15 PM
Latest news not good
http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/match-previews/teamnews-2.html

Galway United take on Cork City tomorrow (Friday) evening at Terryland Park; Kick Off 7.45pm in this eircom League of Ireland tie.
Caretaker Manager Billy Clery is facing some injury problems with John Russell suffering with a fractured hand and is ruled out for tomorrow. John Lester returned on Tuesday from suspension and marked it with a spectacular goal from 40 yards out; he is available for Friday. Derek Glynn also returned from injury on Tuesday after he replaced the injured Derek O'Brien (Hamstring) who is unlikely to feature against Cork. Ciaran Foley and Marc McCullock are struggling for tomorrow with Wes Charles (flu) and Stephen O'Flynn (Groin) also doubtful.

Tickets on sale on the night and Galway United have announced that the first 500 supporters to pay the standard entrance fee at Terryland Park on Friday night will be admitted free of charge to the Corribside

corbyeire
10/04/2008, 2:48 PM
wow they might do away with the fiver - its bloody obvious

Risteard
10/04/2008, 3:09 PM
Looking forward to this.
Where's the best place for pre-match pints?

gufct
10/04/2008, 3:16 PM
Our supporters Drink in Foxes beside the Train Station about a 5 minute TAXI Ride from Terryland and the Closest Pub would be the Menlo Park Hotel which has Car Parking and Fodd and is a five minute walk from the ground.

Paddyfield
10/04/2008, 9:13 PM
PREVIEW FROM www.corkcityfc.ie

Following on from their first league win of the season, Cork City travel to Terryland Park tomorrow night to take on Galway United.

City will be looking to begin a concerted push up the table to ensure that the gap to the top teams does not get any wider, while the home side are currently bottom of the table with just one point from their opening five games. City’s last trip to the venue was last July as a league match was sandwiched between two Intertoto Cup games, and on that occasion a brace from Roy O’Donovan saw the Rebel Army come from a goal down to record a two-one win. Galway are currently seeking a new manager following the departure of Tony Cousins, but Mathews told CorkCityFC.ie he believes his side need to focus on their own game: “We can only look after ourselves. We have to focus on our own preparations and not let anything else affect us. The players have had the right attitude all season, we just weren’t getting the breaks, but now we have got the win we needed and it is important that we push on from there.”

Pat Sullivan is out as he serves a suspension carried over from last year, while Gareth Farrelly and Billy Woods will miss out through injury. Farrelly suffered a recurrence of a knee injury which will sideline him for a short while, while Woods is still recovering from an ankle injury in pre-season. Aside from that the City boss has a clean bill of health and he said he is looking forward to the trip to Galway: “I played for Galway and had great times there. There are some people who were there still involved with the club so I always look forward to going back there.”
Suspensions: Pat Sullivan
Injury News: Gareth Farelly (knee), Billy Woods (ankle)
Last game: Cork City 1-0 UCD
Form: W D D D D D W

Demoshield
11/04/2008, 9:00 AM
It would be nice if everyone got behind the team from the off. Billy has them trying to get the ball down and play. They also have been working on set piece routines. There are going to be mistakes and wayward passes, instead of groaning & shouting abuse at players it would be nice to hear encouragement from the stands. If you are beside some one who starts just politely ask them to stop or shout even louder yourself so they can't be heard!! Come on united.

eamo1
11/04/2008, 12:32 PM
And with Derek out too whos going to fill in on the left wing?
He had a few new set piece routines last tuesday night.Look out tonight for that one he learned from Don where theres a free kick on the edge on the box and everybody runs over to where the free is being taken and then suddenly turn and sprint into the area togther.the defenders dont know where their man is.:)

micls
11/04/2008, 12:33 PM
And with Derek out too whos going to fill in on the left wing?
He had a few new set piece routines last tuesday night.Look out tonight for that one he learned from Don where theres a free kick on the edge on the box and everybody runs over to where the free is being taken and then suddenly turn and sprint into the area togther.the defenders dont know where their man is.:)

Thanks for the heads up. Il pass it on ;)

corbyeire
11/04/2008, 1:41 PM
apparently oshea one side and leech on the other!!!

Square Heir
11/04/2008, 3:40 PM
we have no options on the left tonight. Am sickened that Russler is out.

gordongekko
11/04/2008, 9:21 PM
We were muck upfront tonight and rogers needs to be dropped but all in all i thought we played a lot of good football. Cork looked a lot poorer than they did last season but maybe they will click as the season goes on.

Tir Oilean
11/04/2008, 9:29 PM
I agree Gordon we played football for the first time ( that ive seen all season) the play was kept on the ground and derek got some ball to feet. McColloch was good tonight. Rodgers has to be dropped immediately. CCFC didnt play well at all but having said that they didnt have to with those two mistakes. Billy was sent from the dug out so I presume he'll be banned from the Bench/Dressing rooms for the Sligo game at least. Thought the officials were **** poor but shur there is no surprise i that anymore. Lester and Foley didnt have a great night, thought Leech was trying abit more than in previous games but still not good enough. I think the axe should be wielded next week it might be the wake up call some guys need. Molloy was excellent when he came on, he displayed pride for the jersey and never gave up and what a goal he scored too well taken.

Terry-Lander
11/04/2008, 9:32 PM
United played some nice football and had plenty of possesion but I don't think we ever really threatened. Rogers was a nightmare and responsible for the first two. Did'nt think Cork ever really got going. Molloy took his goal well. Huge improvement needed for Sligo visit.

Paddyfield
11/04/2008, 9:34 PM
.... Rogers was a nightmare and responsible for the first two.....

Ahhhhhhhh, you mean Dodgers :D

gordongekko
11/04/2008, 9:35 PM
Leech was trying abit more than in previous games but still not good enough.

Cousins was trying to get us to believe that he will score loads of goals for us . Barry Moran looks a better player than him from what i have seen of him.

I know im going to get slated for this but we badly need Greg back in midfield. All our midfield players are to similar. We need someone like Greg who can put his foot on the ball and actually create something.

geezer
11/04/2008, 9:41 PM
after that. That full backline and goalie needs to be shipped out soon bar mcculloch. Fitzy dreadful mistake just when molloy gave us all some hope.
I felt for billy he must have been pullin his hair out. Rumour had it that rouse was asked to go in goal at half time but said he had an injury, says it all about the weak minded dozen or so individuals brought in over the last year or so. Im sure that defense costs about €5k a week would we not be better spending it on one quality striker in future?. Im pinning my survival hopes on the home grown talent that will fight in the next twelve games.

having said all that we were missing russel and obrien tonite. Leech tried hard but young molloy showed him how its done

Terry-Lander
11/04/2008, 9:45 PM
after that. That full backline and goalie needs to be shipped out soon bar mcculloch. Fitzy dreadful mistake just when molloy gave us all some hope.
I felt for billy he must have been pullin his hair out. Rumour had it that rouse was asked to go in goal at half time but said he had an injury, says it all about the weak minded dozen or so individuals brought in over the last year or so. Im sure that defense costs about €5k a week would we not be better spending it on one quality striker in future?

having said all that we were missing russel and obrien tonite. Leech tried hard but young molloy showed him how its done

If that is true he should be fu*%€d out immediately.

Square Heir
11/04/2008, 9:54 PM
Some nice play alright, but lacked a cutting edge big time. Lacked creativity with Russel out too. Rogers has cost 3 goals in the last 2 matches now, it's a pity. Lester lacks the mobility to be a midfielder. Thought Foley did well. Leech is very sloppy. Well done Molloy!
Very similar start to last year. Improvement in results have to start from next week!

foxx92
11/04/2008, 10:51 PM
also attendences dropping by about 200 each game...not a good sign only 1410 there tonight

Tir Oilean
11/04/2008, 11:13 PM
Its about the same attedance when you take away the away support still not enough to keep the cashflow at the expected levels though. There were quite a few that left with 5 or so minutes to go they missed Molloys great goal ha ha

gufcfan
11/04/2008, 11:36 PM
Highlights of tonights game

eM_CGRoRqFA

eamo1
12/04/2008, 12:55 AM
I said it a few weeks ago,the 2 goals,his kick outs and his positional awareness was pi** poor too.
we badly miss o.brien and russell tonight.played some decent stuff but nevr had much of a threat.
i hope paddyfields prediction that i heard tonight of who the new manager will be isnt true.
fair play to billy,went mad at the officals,cousins just use to stand there no matter what was going on,he didnt give a tos*,billy does though.

gilberto_eire
12/04/2008, 1:25 AM
also attendences dropping by about 200 each game...not a good sign only 1410 there tonight

Was that official?, cause the new stand looked full and theres meant to be 1,500 seats there, plus there looked like a few 100 around the ground, so i estimated 2,000(or near enough, but i did'nt hear the official attendance)

Trainee
12/04/2008, 2:07 AM
****ing useless ****. he's abysmal, he should be shipped out as soon as possible

Maroon 7
12/04/2008, 3:21 AM
Wasn't at home for the Cork game lads but I heard United played more decent football in one game than they ever did under hoofer Cousins.

I guess things look bad now but it is still early doors and we're not cut adrift just yet. Must keep the faith.

micls
12/04/2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the welcome last night lads. Enjoyed the trip.

One comment though, your programme had Cathair Chorcaigh instead of Cathair Chorcaí and ye in a Gaeltacht.......:p

DonO'Bate
12/04/2008, 11:27 AM
Here are my observations on last night's game, Cork will never have an easier win all season, they didn't have to break sweat in the first half yet went into two goals ahead courtesy of two howlers by Rogers, the goals look even worse on the video clip. If that rumour about Rouse was true than he and Rogers should get the boot and replaced by a third choice goalkeeper, that's if we have one.

The defence needs a radical overhaul, Regi wasted a lot of good posession. Utd did try to play to their strengths by attacking through the middle and down the flanks. Russler and Derek were sorely missed. Young Molloy took his goal well two touches and the ball was in the back of the net. Billy should give more of the U21's a run out instead of some of our overpaid prima donnas.

The ref and his officials had a stinker, Cork should never have got the free kick that led to their second goal and we should have had a corner before Cork broke away to score the third. I saw the ref and one of his assistants arrive in a taxi which I presume was his, so ref my advise to you is to not give up the day job. Billy was right to have a go at the officials.

I spotted Noel King at the match, I wonder was he scouting for talent for his Ladies team or is interested in taking on the Utd job. Whoever the next manager is the should appoint Billy as his assistant.

I don't like our new white away strip, white to me means surrender and sends out the wrong message.

micls
12/04/2008, 11:29 AM
Who got man of the match?

DonO'Bate
12/04/2008, 11:40 AM
Who got man of the match?

Gary Rodgers!!!

Conor H
12/04/2008, 3:52 PM
Thought the attendance was higher than 1410 myself.

Before it was announced 2000,or just under,was the agreed attendance all round.No way was it lower than Rovers anyway.

micls
12/04/2008, 3:54 PM
Thought the attendance was higher than 1410 myself.

Before it was announced 2000,or just under,was the agreed attendance all round.No way was it lower than Rovers anyway.

Around our area(from the view we had) everyone was saying roughly 1500 so it seems right to me. But ye'd know ye're ground better

Patrick Dunne
12/04/2008, 4:20 PM
There was certainly more than 1,410 in the ground at KO.

gilberto_eire
12/04/2008, 4:22 PM
There was certainly more than 1,410 in the ground at KO.

Of course, the new stand was virtually full and there are 1,500 seats in it, the old stand maybe had 150-200 in it plus around 15-200 around the pitch!!

Maybe all the fans who got in late were'nt counted?. I missed the first couple of minutes myself queuing outside!!

Tir Oilean
12/04/2008, 5:50 PM
Was that official?, cause the new stand looked full and theres meant to be 1,500 seats there, plus there looked like a few 100 around the ground, so i estimated 2,000(or near enough, but i did'nt hear the official attendance)

Defo thought there was 2000 at least 1200 in the new stand and three other sides of the ground to count too.

Terry-Lander
12/04/2008, 6:11 PM
I saw the ref and one of his assistants arrive in a taxi which I presume was his, so ref my advise to you is to not give up the day job.

Are you sure it wasn't Tony Cousins' one :eek:

geezer
12/04/2008, 6:23 PM
tc your friendly taxi man

Paddyfield
12/04/2008, 7:03 PM
Match report from www.EircomLOI.ie

Galway United 1 Cork City 3

Cork City stretched their unbeaten league sequence to six games against Galway United at Terryland Park .Alan Matthews’ evolving team were never seriously troubled by the basement team emerging convincing victors.

John O’Flynn and George O’Callaghan grabbed the first half goals to put
the rebels into a commanding interval lead.

In a hectic finale Galway substitute Jason Molloy and Dave Mooney traded goals as the rebels closed the deal.

Despite producing a battling opening quarter performance Galway still found themselves a goal behind in the 18th minute

Joe Gamble clipped the ball into the Galway area and after goalkeeper Gary
Rogers failed to gather John O’Flynn supplied the opportunistic finish.

Cork ought to have doubled their advantage moments later, but substitute Darragh Ryan headed George O’Callaghan’s delivery wide.

But it was the thoughtful O’Callaghan who provided a sweet second for City curling a delightful 20 yard free kick past Rogers.

Within seconds of the restart Galway left full Marc McCulloch extracted a s
mashing save from Michael Devine, but Cork weren’t too perturbed until re
placement Jason Molloy scored in the 85th minute.

But Cork summoned an instant response as Dave Mooney lashed the insurance goal to stretch City’s unbeaten run.

Galway United: Rogers; Nootimer, Fitzgerald, Charles; McCulloch; Deegan, Foley, Lester, Keane (Molloy, 71); Leech, Glynn (O’Flynn, 54).

Cork City : Devine; Horgan, Lordan, Murray, Murphy; Gamble, Healy, O’Calla
ghan; O’Flynn (O’Connor, 90), Mooney, Kearney (Ryan, 13, Behan, 80).

Referee: T Connolly ( Dublin ).

Galway ’ only chance of note arrived between the two goals as the industri
ous John Lester dragged a long range shot past the post.

foxx92
12/04/2008, 7:05 PM
im nearly certain the pa speaker said 1410 i was surprised at it. maybe lates werent counted

WoodquayBoy
12/04/2008, 10:04 PM
I thought around the 2k mark meself. Cobh beat Shams tonight so we are seriously in the doo doo, we have Sligo, Bray, Derry, harps and UCD our next 5 games, need to take 12 points from that. As for Billy, he rightly complained that a Cork player kicked the ball away ater the whistle went and wasn't booked, while a United player - Glynn I tihnk - was booked for similar offence in first half. That's the problem, not only in this league but every league, a lack of consistency by the officials.

eamo1
12/04/2008, 11:29 PM
I thought its meant to be 2 kids per adult???ya right,it was NOT like that last night,dam annoying.
There is a case for Billy throwing his name into the hat as manager i think,might be too soon.No need to panic yet though.

Maroon 7
13/04/2008, 12:40 PM
I thought around the 2k mark meself. Cobh beat Shams tonight so we are seriously in the doo doo, we have Sligo, Bray, Derry, harps and UCD our next 5 games, need to take 12 points from that. As for Billy, he rightly complained that a Cork player kicked the ball away ater the whistle went and wasn't booked, while a United player - Glynn I tihnk - was booked for similar offence in first half. That's the problem, not only in this league but every league, a lack of consistency by the officials.

Absolutely vital period coming up. We win a few of those games and things will look a great deal better. If we don't things will begin to look pretty grim.

Tir Oilean
13/04/2008, 1:14 PM
We need to start picking up the points especially with Ramblers winning last night. The kids are irritating and I could hear them talking and being delighted about getting in for a fiver, theyre paying their way so I think we will just have to put up with them.

MyTown
14/04/2008, 8:59 AM
Time to call a spade a spade. The lads have absolutely no leadership.

In fairness to Billy, he's only 3 games in, but his display of petulance showed a leopard doesn't change his spots and we'll get no 50/50s from any referee once they read the fines / suspensions reports for the rest of the season. Billy is a GUFC legend. Nothing will change that - but we needed a leader and he provided the opposite on Friday night. Blaming the referee is a cop out IMO.

It may have been against a second string Longford team but the displays on Tuesday night would have shown that Rouse deserved a start and Alan Keane was not up to it. How he was tried at outside right and outside left is beyond me. I'm delighted for Keane that he has recovered his fitness and recovered from injury and I love to see locals do well, but Tuesday night gave an idication of what was to come on Friday.

Full credit to Billy then for making the changes he did and full credit to Molloy for making maximum use of his time on the field.

Not even 1/3 of the way through the season but we're doomed IMO. Lester throwing the ball away on our throw in because he felt none of the lads up front wanted it shows just how united this squad is.

Much has been made of how the new stand has killed the atmosphere, but I thought the home support was vocal and appreciative of anything the lads tried to put together. Obviously this was very evident when Molloy scored, but all through there was good support and the crowd responded to any obvious efforts from the lads on the pitch.

I'm off to Sligo on Saturday. Got to stick with them now. For better or worse.

WoodquayBoy
14/04/2008, 9:01 AM
Being a bit unfair on Alan, he was playing out of position. Friday showed we have nothing going forward, and without Derek and Russler, we won't create anything either. Like you I think we're doomed as well, job beginning to look less and less attractive

Terry-Lander
14/04/2008, 10:29 AM
Doomed?:confused:. I agree it will take effort of gigantic proportions to rescue the season but I refuse to hang the head just yet. I haven't heard the slightly overweight lady singing yet. We have had a pathetic start and while we must take one game at a time the next 5 games will define our season. I may be a fool but i remain optimistic. C'mon UNITED

galwayhoop
14/04/2008, 10:43 AM
talk of being doomed is far too premature imho. A sequence of 2 or 3 back to back wins (unlikely as it looks right now) will always put a far brighter reflection on everything. we just need a new manager in before the mole hill turns into a mountain. no disrespect to billy but he is not ready for it just now.

gufct
14/04/2008, 10:45 AM
the new manager has to be in place before saturdays game .Im usually the most optimistic supporter but somehow i cant see us acting quickly enough to stop the rot.