PDA

View Full Version : Players that qualify for Ireland that played for England

short_frank
10/04/2008, 12:41 AM
I wonder how many players we have lost to England over the years since I heard that Wayne Rooney qualifies for Ireland.
The others that I know of are Paul Scholes, Martin Keown, Noel Whelan, Kevin Gallen, Brian Kilcline.
Are there any others out there????

kingdom hoop
10/04/2008, 1:27 AM
:eek: Holy fcuk! Nothing against you short_frank (yet :D) but why are there are a constant flood of eligibility/"I hear his granny actually slept around so he could have an Irish grandfather especially given how many Irish went to London at the time" questions?

Can't we talk about Socrates' Corinthian democracy, the psychology of teams or something a bit more engaging? :)

Hibernian
10/04/2008, 8:45 AM
I wonder how many players we have lost to England over the years since I heard that Wayne Rooney qualifies for Ireland.
The others that I know of are Paul Scholes, Martin Keown, Noel Whelan, Kevin Gallen, Brian Kilcline.
Are there any others out there????

Aaron Lennon and Alan Murray also

Serb
10/04/2008, 8:46 AM
There are loads of top players who qualified for Ireland but opted to play for England. It would be misleading to say we lost them to England because I doubt any of those players felt like they were even the tiniest bit Irish. The only possible exception in the mentioned players is Martin Keown who apparently was expected to declare for Ireland by his family but opted for England.

Other players who apparently qualify are Paul Gascoigne, Steven Gerrard and probably 90% of all the other players born in Liverpool :P

Drumcondra 69er
10/04/2008, 9:03 AM
Robbie Fowler, Jamie Carragher, Steve McManamman, Anton Ferdinand (does he have a different Dad to Rio, think I heard that somewhere). There's loads.....

tetsujin1979
10/04/2008, 9:23 AM
Didn't we do this once before?

I'm certain I saw Jimmy Greaves say once that he did qualify to play for Ireland, but had no interest in doing so, and disagreed with players playing for countries they weren't born in.

<EDIT>

We have been through this before: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=66824

Bluebeard
10/04/2008, 9:51 AM
Can't we talk about Socrates' Corinthian democracy, the psychology of teams or something a bit more engaging? :)

Great, I have long awaited this moment (I think you'll find that the events described in The Republic took place in Piraeus though, rather than Corinth, but I'll let that slip)!

Also, are we talking about applying the methods Socrates alludes to in management of the Irish team, e.g. was the Staunton era an example of Timocracy gone wrong, or, as I believe, did it adhere more closely to an Oligarchy, where the Navigator very clearly does not profit by his wealth? Otherwise, it will probably have to go to Off Topic.

greendeiseboy
10/04/2008, 11:05 AM
Great, I have long awaited this moment (I think you'll find that the events described in The Republic took place in Piraeus though, rather than Corinth, but I'll let that slip)!

Also, are we talking about applying the methods Socrates alludes to in management of the Irish team, e.g. was the Staunton era an example of Timocracy gone wrong, or, as I believe, did it adhere more closely to an Oligarchy, where the Navigator very clearly does not profit by his wealth? Otherwise, it will probably have to go to Off Topic.

Rapid cab for Mr. Bluebeard

Deckydee
10/04/2008, 11:25 AM
I know this 'eligibility' thing is going on for a long time now, but if that famous amnesty thing ever came back is there any players that are out of the England fold that we could try and get?

paul_oshea
10/04/2008, 3:00 PM
Rapid cab for Mr. Bluebeard

more like a white van...

stiofain
12/04/2008, 1:05 PM
:eek: Holy fcuk! Nothing against you short_frank (yet :D) but why are there are a constant flood of eligibility/"I hear his granny actually slept around so he could have an Irish grandfather especially given how many Irish went to London at the time" questions?

Totally agree.
In reply to the opening post; frankly, who cares?