PDA

View Full Version : Waterford United 2-1 Cork City

tiktok
18/07/2003, 9:14 PM
Waterford Utd 2 - 1 Cork City
(Banville, Sullivan (pen)) (C.T.O'Brien)

It seems like Dolan will be going crazy about the penalty decision which came five minutes from time. With the ball on the ground a penalty was awarded, the ref initially telling the players that it was for a push by Alan Carey. He then appeared to change his mind and told Pat Dolan that it had been awarded for a handball. The entire press box seemed to think that it was a free out (according to reports on newstalk106).

Waterford were reported to be just worth the win City seeming to sit back too deep after taking an early lead. Michael Devine made the save of the season when a 20 yard shot deflected off Bennett causing Devine to change direction and make a dramatic one handed save.

Definitely a slip up that city could have done without, as the other results of the night saw the challengers at the top of the table all dropping points, final scores were.

Shamrock Rovers 2-3 Longford Town

Drogheda United 4-2 St.Patrick's Athletic

UCD 1-1 Shelbourne
(Griffin) (Byrne)

Shelbourne remain clear on top by six points clear of Waterford who jumped to second place thanks to their three points.

ramsie
18/07/2003, 10:03 PM
that sounds like it was a good game

Éanna
18/07/2003, 11:16 PM
city have only themselves to blame for not gettin the 3 points,. sat back too much when we should have attakced. that said, the ref was an awful gobsh!te. dirty dublin junkie **** is all mckeon is

RedX
19/07/2003, 12:57 AM
There is a lot of talk about Alan Bennett lately with the possible return of Derek Coughlan.I though Bennett was poor tonight but isnt he allowed to have one of those considering how good he has been playing?I dont know is he.Coughlan and Murray together sounds very nice indeed as far as i am concerned..

On to the match.I thought City were well on top in the 1st half and could have been 2 or 3 up at H/T.Waterford were on the backfoot big time and City should have scored more.They were creating a few chances but just could not score more than the one.2nd half City were sitting back but Waterford were always going to have a spell considering they were the home team in this Munster derby.Did not see the penalty decision but very very dissapointed to leave without even a point..

Lastly just to comment on the Ground and atmosphere.City fans were terrific tonight and fair dues to the lads with the flags who always get the craic going.I thought there was a terrible turnout from Waterford fans though.I cant beleive they could not get a bigger gate than that, for there 1st home derby game with us for a few years.And also to comment on the ground itself.The side we were on where the flags were was a digrace.Hardly any room to walk to your seat(if your seat was still there considering half of them were either broke or missing.Weeds and Grass growing between seats.I wonder when was the last time anyone from the Waterford Utd groundstaff did anything to that side of the ground.Turners Cross is a palace compared to that kip...Moan over.

Overall i think City were unlucky tonight.I always said the league is probably to much for us this season but i definetly think we are heading in the right direction.I know this might sound silly considering we lost to Waterford but i though City looked a lot better in every department tonight from team,coaching staff,profesionalism all the way down to the fans.Pity about the result though.........

SÓC
19/07/2003, 1:59 AM
The peno, what can ya say about that, the ref delay for about 20 seconds before he even gave the decision, looking forward to seeing it on TV.

For their first goal Benno tried to walk it out of defence instead of hoofing it, Waterford got the ball off him and scored. Just before that Flynny wasted a good chance, not one of John's best games.

Connor made some very good saves for Waterford, one from a Dan Murray corner and another from an amazing Georgie volley. Colin T played well and scored our scrappy goal but the rest of the midfield was somewhat invisiable at times especially Hedderman and Murray.

Bollóx anyway Im still ****ed off, Leinster for the ERC ;)

J.O.F.A.S
19/07/2003, 2:55 AM
yeah cmon leinster:D

Heard there was a cross dresser.......:eek:

Pity bout those two L@ngers at the end shouting abuse...

To our beloved shed end john..Tak wan dodo:D

thecorner
19/07/2003, 8:05 AM
no point in blaming the ref, ye r starting to sound like dolan now with all your moaning, straight facts we were bad and waterford deserved it

patsh
19/07/2003, 8:59 AM
Originally posted by thecorner
no point in blaming the ref, ye r starting to sound like dolan now with all your moaning, straight facts we were bad and waterford deserved it
Yes, we were bad.
No, Waterford did NOT derserve it, they were f*ckin worse than us !

Counting Crow
19/07/2003, 9:27 AM
Guys, I know this may sound like heracy but I thought Flynny had an awful game last night.

He looked way off the mark.

Just before the first Waterford goal he was put through with a great pass ( can't remember from who ). He got goal side of his marker and instead of using his pace he decided to shoot from 30 yards out .... and completely fluffed it. I remember saying to the bloke next to me that I hoped we wouldn't regret that........hmm!

There were other efforts during the game that were poor also but this just summed it up for him last night.

I still think he is a gem though...........!

George nad Colin T were excellent last night I thought.

Roll on $hell$................!

Neil
19/07/2003, 10:28 AM
It really is the season of the penalty... another dodgy one last night given by a terrible referee. Even the Waterford stewards were agreeing after the game that he gave us nothing. But then again they said that McKeon has shafted them more than aswell. Referees: Dublin bias or just idiots?

I was a bit disappointed that there was only 500 City fans there. I'd say the rain put a lot of people off. There was a good atmosphere though with the 6 big flags and the drums. Shame on the few idiots who were giving out about George again - they really haven't a clue about football.

Overall I thought we were unfortunate not to take away at least a point. We deserved to win; we were the better team... but we sat back instead of trying to finish them off.

Roll on Shels...

:ball:

Éanna
19/07/2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Neil
It really is the season of the penalty... another dodgy one last night given by a terrible referee. Even the Waterford stewards were agreeing after the game that he gave us nothing. But then again they said that McKeon has shafted them more than aswell. Referees: Dublin bias or just idiots? I'm still running on my theory that in general the ref gives the decisions to whichever team is closer to dublin- last night that was waterford :rolleyes: Counting Crow, I agee about Flyyny, I thought he was poor, but hell we can forgive him one of game, Geirge was apparently the worst player on the park despite this :rolleyes:

Cityace
19/07/2003, 11:32 AM
If anyone was at the Rovers(away) game, it was virtually the same match. early one goal lead, then we sat back and let them have it.Dolan is defantly to blame.the best defence is a good offence but dolan seems to be happy with a one-nil lead all the time.

Flynn had a terrible game.(although i had a dream last night with him playing for Ireland and he scored(against Spain!!!!!),hopefully i can tell the future now.)

Georgie had a brilliant game,his first touches were excellent.Some eijit behind me was shouting for him to be substituted.Correct me if i'm wrong but i think this eijit was where everyone got the idea that he had a shockin game.

Hedderman is starting to settle i think,he had some good touches last night.

Packer(although he only played 5 mins) was looking very well, he set up our best chance in the second half.

Again, we were called for offside with the pass in OUR OWN HALF.
And people ask why we complain about unfair matches all the time???

All in all I think the result was Dolans fault this time.

Éanna
19/07/2003, 1:46 PM
Originally posted by Cityace
All in all I think the result was Dolans fault this time.

Pretty much agree with your reading of the game, but I wouldn't lay the blame totally at Dolans feet. I mean, the first goal came from a mistake and the second,well we'll see on monday night. If we'd come out of here with a 1-0 win having played the same, we'd be happy enough. It all boils down to our weakness in midfield IMO- if we had had someone who could have put their foot on the ball and knocked it around keeping possession, the plan of sitting back would have worked.

Éanna
19/07/2003, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
It seems like Dolan will be going crazy about the penalty decision
Todays echo had the ref accusing him of nearly inciting a riot apparently! The ref was very poor all round I think, but the same idiot has confused us more than once in the past.

Cityace
19/07/2003, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Pretty much agree with your reading of the game, but I wouldn't lay the blame totally at Dolans feet. I mean, the first goal came from a mistake and the second,well we'll see on monday night. If we'd come out of here with a 1-0 win having played the same, we'd be happy enough. It all boils down to our weakness in midfield IMO- if we had had someone who could have put their foot on the ball and knocked it around keeping possession, the plan of sitting back would have worked.
I would have been happy with the result yes, but i also would have been very worried because even if they hadn't scored, a sh:ball:te waterford team would have been all over us.

Also in the echo, Seems Robbie Hedderman has switched bodies with Georgie.Look at the picture (and caption) on the page inside.:confused:

patsh
19/07/2003, 6:17 PM
Did McKeon ref the Drogs game?

Eric
19/07/2003, 7:09 PM
I was disappointed with the way the team just sat back in the second half. With the way we've been conceding some late goals this season I would've hoped that they would have tried harder to get a precious second.

The second half display from city looked as if they'd put a completely different side out than from the first half. If we'd just continued to play the way we did in the first half then we'd have the 3 points in the bag now.

As for the peno, from what i saw carey was in front of his man so couldn't possibly have pushed him

Cityace
19/07/2003, 7:20 PM
Originally posted by Eric
I was disappointed with the way the team just sat back in the second half. With the way we've been conceding some late goals this season I would've hoped that they would have tried harder to get a precious second.

The second half display from city looked as if they'd put a completely different side out than from the first half. If we'd just continued to play the way we did in the first half then we'd have the 3 points in the bag now.

As for the peno, from what i saw carey was in front of his man so couldn't possibly have pushed him

I completely agree.

I heard the ref gave 3 different reasons for the penalty, does anyone know them all??

He also gave Dolan an excuse that it was for a handball.