PDA

View Full Version : Ian Harte

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Gaz
25/08/2001, 9:22 PM
Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy today suffered the latest blow to his World Cup hopes after Leeds left-back Ian Harte limped out of today's goalless draw at West Ham.

Harte was substituted in the 79th minute following a collision with Hammers' skipper Paulo di Canio which left him requiring nine stitches in an injury to his left ankle. Leeds boss David O'Leary confirmed Harte is out of the game: "Ian has had about nine stitches in his ankle so will not be playing for Ireland next week."

It means McCarthy is now without his first-choice back four for the vital World Cup qualifier against Holland in Dublin next Saturday.

With Gary Breen, Kenny Cunningham and Stephen Carr already on the sidelines, McCarthy is left with few defensive options for the crunch clash with the Dutch and will have to once again re-think his starting line-up.

He last week announced his intention to stick with the central defensive partnership of Steve Staunton and Richard Dunne, but he may now be tempted to switch Staunton back to his more familiar left-back berth and field the inexperienced Gary Doherty or Andy O'Brien at centre-back. Doherty's impressive start-of-season may make him favourite.

Another consequence of Harte's injury is that Staunton will surely have a greater say from set-pieces, and may well be made the team's penalty taker.

gustavo
26/08/2001, 12:24 AM
sorry lads but we are fcuked

A face
27/08/2001, 5:47 AM
as in the french connection, the world champions and european champions, are you saying we are going to thrash 'em 4 nothing.

James
27/08/2001, 8:42 AM
face we missed your insightful comments, but as usual you've lost me.:D

A face
27/08/2001, 7:30 PM
But i was late ..... so thats my excuse and i am sticking to it, many more brain teasers to come, it is a long season.
It is good to be back !!

Pablo
13/05/2002, 1:55 PM
Anybody read the Rumour in the papers at the weekend? I think he should learn from his teammates mistakes and stay in the league he is in at the moment

joe
13/05/2002, 2:36 PM
I thought I heard they were after Roberto Carlos - not exactly in the same class are they!

Pablo
13/05/2002, 2:49 PM
By all accounts their manager, was manager of Valecia when Leeds played them in the champions league and he has been following him ever since. he is a fan of his defending and dead ball skills.

pete
13/05/2002, 3:19 PM
David O'Leary seems too soft a manager to me anyway.

I think Cuper is one of best managers in the game & I doubt her would let his players get away with half the stuff that happene at Leeds.

I think Inter been playing a Czech guy at left (might be right not... sure) back & he gave away at least 2 goals in Rome on final day that denied Inter the Serie A trophy so Harte might have a good chance there.

SÓC
13/05/2002, 3:30 PM
Originally posted by pete

I think Inter been playing a Czech guy at left (might be right not... sure) back & he gave away at least 2 goals in Rome on final day that denied Inter the Serie A trophy so Harte might have a good chance there.

Poor old Cuper must have got talking to the media lessons from Damien Rico, he said after the match "I dont want to blame any players in particular, I dont want to blame <insert czech guys name here> just becuase he was a fault for at least two goals"

I actually think Ian Harte needs a move away from Leeds to give him a kick up the ass and get him to kop on again, he was a mighty player 2 years ago, just has to find that form again.

gwanyagoodting
13/05/2002, 4:25 PM
Today Inter are being linked with Ashley Cole.

finn
13/05/2002, 4:32 PM
o'leary is in trouble at leeds, he spent a fortune and has nothing bar a uefa cup spot to show for it.

his two main irish players keane and harte could find themselves on the way out of elland road as they try and reduce the debt he ran up

rumours linking keane with man city have subsided but at the time man city were being linked with eveyone and his mother so it remains to be seen whether he will stay or go

this is the first i have heard of harte moving on

pete

Éanna
14/05/2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
he is a fan of his defending
:confused: But Harte CAN'T defend! He's a very average full-back who can hit good dead-balls thats it.

Pablo
14/05/2002, 1:06 PM
Maybe you should become the Inter coach so Eanna ;)

James
18/06/2002, 5:31 PM
ian harte to inter milan..
haha i reckon inter cardiff wouldnt take him now after that world cup performance :D

Pablo
25/06/2002, 1:01 PM
you could be rite there :) ah well!

patsh
25/06/2002, 2:30 PM
Do they need a ball-boy or something??

NigeSausagepump
13/08/2003, 9:12 AM
Harry Redknapp has declared his undying admiration for the slowest footballer this side of Jan Molby, and claimed he'd sign him if Leeds don't demand too hefty a fee.

Would prob be a good move for him as Leeds have signed some French left back on loan for the season, so it looks like a year of benchwarming for the Drogheda Rocket Man.

tiktok
13/08/2003, 8:54 PM
he would be more likely to get a regular first team place at pompey whioch would help him. given the way leeds are at the moment it could be the best thing for Harte.

although, i think Carr and Finnan will be our fullbacks and Harte will probably only be cover.

tiktok
29/08/2003, 6:54 PM
From www.football365.com

Ian Harte could leave Elland Road after Leeds United confirmed that they had received several offers for the defender.

The Republic of Ireland international is now mulling over the choice of loan deals and could become the next player to leave the revolving door that is Elland Road.

A statement on the club's official website read: "United defender Ian Harte is considering his options after Leeds United received loan offers from one Premiership club and a number of European clubs, one an Italian Serie A club."

Harte has only featured once in Peter Reid's side so far this season, with Dominic Matteo preferred in the left back role and new loan signing Didier Domi providing cover.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has made no secret of his admiration for the 26-year-old defender, who has made over 200 appearances since making his debut against West Ham in January 1996.

Although no offer has since materialised, Spanish giants Barcelona were also reportedly interested in the player, who must now decide whether to move on or stay and fight for his place.

:ball:

a move away from Leeds would be good for him, he seems to still be very much in Kerr's plans despite being out of Peter Reid's, i think he's better off getting reghular football at another club, at the end of the day ;) we might need to rely on him at some stage.

Slash/ED
29/08/2003, 7:29 PM
Hope he goes to Serie A, he has no pace but is technically sound and a good ball player, he'd be very suited to that league.

Estar
29/08/2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
Hope he goes to Serie A, he'd be very suited to that league.

Surely you mean Serie F:D In all fairness he dosen't look out of his dept in the english league.

the 12 th man
15/10/2003, 3:24 PM
applications for places are invited to apply for this advanced course for defenders (up to world standard catered for).we will be especially showing you how to look like a training cone when on international duty.places will be allocated on first come basis/dont delay diall 1800/mobile cone today.

Bring Back Mick
03/09/2004, 1:38 PM
has BK got a dislike for Ian Harte especially with all the withdrawals and the good start he has had in Spain.............Surely having a player with his experience will give us more options...........

Stuttgart88
03/09/2004, 1:49 PM
BK said he now has 20 players in the squad. If you're allowed 23 players why not use 23 players?

For example, bring Macken along for the experience. Alan Lee said on the FAI website this morning that he was intimidated even in training when he first joined the senior squad, but now he's been involved for a while he feels more at home.

It'd benefit Macken even if it's only to get to know the other lads better.

I think Harte, Dunne & Macken should all be involved even if they're not in Kerr's starting plans. Maybe Kerr's expecting Delap and Holland to join up after the Cyprus game.

Plastic Paddy
03/09/2004, 1:54 PM
BK said he now has 20 players in the squad. If you're allowed 23 players why not use 23 players?

For example, bring Macken along for the experience. Alan Lee said on the FAI website this morning that he was intimidated even in training when he first joined the senior squad, but now he's been involved for a while he feels more at home.

It'd benefit Macken even if it's only to get to know the other lads better.

I think Harte, Dunne & Macken should all be involved even if they're not in Kerr's starting plans. Maybe Kerr's expecting Delap and Holland to join up after the Cyprus game.

Kerr's giving Harte time to settle in his new environment, nothing more than that. He'll be back for subsequent squads. It's a gamble, sure, but in the past Kerr has shown himself to be flexible with players' circumstances. Time will tell whether it's the right approach.

:) PP

Stuttgart88
03/09/2004, 2:09 PM
Fair point about Harte PP and maybe there are reasons behind Dunne's omission too, but would you agree about Macken?

Plastic Paddy
03/09/2004, 2:13 PM
Fair point about Harte PP and maybe there are reasons behind Dunne's omission too, but would you agree about Macken?

I can just imagine the scene at Merrion Square, Fran Rooney to Brian Kerr:

"ah now c'mon Brian, no more call-ups, ye'd better start saving the cents, we've de rent at de new Lansdowne to be thinking of..."

;) PP

pete
03/09/2004, 2:52 PM
Kerr never calls people up just for the sake of it. I don't think he likes peop,e there just to make up numbers & will only have people in squad if liekly to play them.

He won't call up young forward if he more likely to play midfielder or defender out of position when crunch time comes.

Bring Back Mick
03/09/2004, 3:14 PM
6 points required from these games though BK thinks Harte needs time to settle .................bo!!'x - did he ask him ?

An experianced player whose confidence is on the up again, get him in BK

thecorner
03/09/2004, 4:05 PM
after those perormances at world cup '02 do u honestly want that back :eek:

Plastic Paddy
03/09/2004, 5:11 PM
after those perormances at world cup '02 do u honestly want that back :eek:

I noted your rather dismissive comment about McAteer on another thread - tell me, apart from the obvious, is there anyone that plays for Ireland that you actually do like/rate/respect? :confused: :rolleyes:

:ball: PP

Condex
03/09/2004, 5:38 PM
Would be very useful from free kicks though a bit of a passanger at the back.

I would have him in ahead of Maybury any day.

thecorner
03/09/2004, 5:45 PM
I noted your rather dismissive comment about McAteer on another thread - tell me, apart from the obvious, is there anyone that plays for Ireland that you actually do like/rate/respect?

yes ;) ;)

Plastic Paddy
03/09/2004, 6:10 PM
yes ;) ;)

Well? :rolleyes:

thecorner
03/09/2004, 6:16 PM
Well? :rolleyes:

i answered your question

you only get one ;)

carnstien
03/09/2004, 7:22 PM
I actually know Ian Harte...

...he is a far better left-back than that lightweight Manc from Waterford.
Completely unbiased opinion there. :rolleyes:

And PP, if Duff or Keane had moved to Spain do you think they'd be left out of the squad so they could "settle". Not a chance. Kerr sees Harte for what he is, an average player who does not deserve to walk into every squad.

Plastic Paddy
03/09/2004, 7:29 PM
And PP, if Duff or Keane had moved to Spain do you think they'd be left out of the squad so they could "settle". Not a chance. Kerr sees Harte for what he is, an average player who does not deserve to walk into every squad.

Ah, but you're talking about the backbone of our team and different characters altogether, hence different styles of man-management. I suppose results will judge, and I still place faith in Kerr to come good. Please God. :eek:

You're being maybe a little harsh on Harte, but that's fair enough. Mrs PP (looking over my sholder as I type) reckons he's only any good for dead-ball stuff anyway.

ken foree
03/09/2004, 8:04 PM
hi my first post here though i've read it for a while. i really enjoy some of the site. i'm not really ken foree.

right, re: harte, i think the fella has undoubted skill (in both feet, a rarity until recently with many players in ireland and england) but is obviously not blessed with pace. this makes his timing/judgement even more crucial. so sometimes he gets skinned.

thinking back a few years ago to the type of goal he was scoring for leeds - i think he had around a dozen one season - some were absolute corkers, from distance, with both feet, from open play. if anything, to me, he's a lost player for a lost position, somewhere in midfield perhaps (sad for him - defenders should always be quick). a pity. as an exiled droghedian, i'm not just a little biased!

anyway, peace to you all. hope we can enjoy the game tomorrow, wherever we are.

carnstien
03/09/2004, 9:25 PM
You're being maybe a little harsh on Harte, but that's fair enough. Mrs PP (looking over my sholder as I type) reckons he's only any good for dead-ball stuff anyway.

I don't think I'm as harsh on Harte as the many fans who think he should be taken out and shot. Personally I just think he is playing in the wrong positon.

How no Premiership or Irish manager has never realised that Harte's best position is left midfield is disturbing. He is crap at defending, but is a great passer of the ball, leathal from set pieces and is very comfortable on the ball. He is as slow as Christmas but at least in midfield that wouldn't result in defencive collapse. It doesn't take a genius to work out where he SHOULD be playing.

tricky_colour
03/09/2004, 9:50 PM
I don't think I'm as harsh on Harte as the many fans who think he should be taken out and shot. Personally I just think he is playing in the wrong positon.

How no Premiership or Irish manager has never realised that Harte's best position is left midfield is disturbing. He is crap at defending, but is a great passer of the ball, leathal from set pieces and is very comfortable on the ball. He is as slow as Christmas but at least in midfield that wouldn't result in defencive collapse. It doesn't take a genius to work out where he SHOULD be playing.

I think Harte takes more than his fair share of stick too, ok he makes
the occasional lapse, but then who doesn't?
You have to trade that off against his crossing and free-kick ability.
He normally makes good use of the ball when he has got it.
Unfortunately we have more good left-midfielders than I have had
hot dinners.
He does get forward well, it is getting back again which tends to cause
problems!

Scotland are 1:0 up in Spain at the moment not bad considering Spain are world ranked 3 and Scotland 67!! (diff 64)
Cyprus are 101 and Ireland 16 (diff 85) so anything can happen,
and shock results do happen - beware.

thecorner
03/09/2004, 11:09 PM
And how did your hero Roy

where did i say roy was my hero :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
05/09/2004, 2:55 PM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=13437

Harte seethes over absence

September 5, 2004

Ian Harte is not a happy camper over his omission from the current Irish squad for the World Cup qualifiers, claiming that he can’t understand how he can be left out in favour of players who are not regulars for their clubs.

Since Harte moved to the Spanish Primera Liga he has been somewhat off the Irish supporter’s radar. That changed last weekend as he scored from a 35 yard free kick on his league debut for Levante.

Some less then intrepid defending since Ireland qualified for the 2002 World Cup has seen the former Leeds star drop down the international pecking order at full back, but even allowing for that, Harte is angry at being overlooked for the games against Cyprus and Switzerland.

“I’m not happy at not being in the squad and to be honest I don’t know whether I would have been better moving to the first Division,” said Harte from Spain, in an interview with the Sunday Mirror.

“I’ve moved to the top league in Spain and I’m not picked while there are others selected, who being honest, are not even playing for their teams.”

Harte explains that Brian Kerr rang with the bad news about not being in the squad, but the left back feels he is being harshly treated. The defender had missed the end of season games with Ireland and knew that others had impressed in his absence, but feels that others are getting preferential treatment.

“Brian rang and told me the story with the squad. I asked ‘why am I not in?’ and he said the lads there for the last few months had done well, which is fair enough.

“I know some lads did well in those summer matches, but there are others who didn’t travel and they are in the squad, so I am not happy with that.”

The Levante man feels that his natural left footed ability will be missed from the Ireland squad.

“More than anything, I don’t understand how he (Kerr) could name eight defenders in his squad with not one naturally left footed player.

“John O’Shea is there now, but he is not a naturally left side left back, he will always cut in on his right.

“Even Alan Maybury, who is cover there, is a right back. There is nothing I can do about the team though apart from scoring from 35 yards each week.”

How about five years of stunningly inept performances as a reason for being left out Ian? He finally gets left out of a few Ireland squads (Very very long overdue) and he throws his toys out of the pram. That's probably the end of his international career I'd imagine.

Slash/ED
05/09/2004, 2:56 PM
Whoops meant to post this in the national team forum, is there any mods online that could move it for me? Sorry about that.

thecorner
05/09/2004, 2:58 PM
Ian Harte is not a happy camper over his omission from the current Irish squad for the World Cup qualifiers, claiming that he can’t understand how he can be left out in favour of players who are not regulars for their clubs.

all of a sudden hes a regular and thinks he has a god given right to a squad place

how about the times he couldnt get near the leeds first 11,even when they were struggling and he still got in the irish squad

didnt seem to worry him then :rolleyes:

A face
05/09/2004, 4:32 PM
He is good at set pieces .... but that is it, he aint up to it.

BobbySands
05/09/2004, 4:40 PM
I've never been a huge fan of Harte but he has come through with a few important goals. As for the comments above, I find it quite refreshing that he cares enough to get angry about being left out. I'd pegged Harte as a McCarthy loyalist who had become complacent and who'd try and undermine Kerr. When uncle Gary hung up his boots I assumed Harte would not be far behind. His anger shows desire and I think thats admirable.

dynamo kerry
05/09/2004, 5:35 PM
who was selected who isn't making their team?

everyone in the squad has played first team ball this season so far.

maybury plays left-back for hearts too.

drinkfeckarse
05/09/2004, 7:16 PM
While Maybury has played left back for Hearts on occasion, 95% of the time he plays right back. Having seen Maybury in the flesh a few times, I have always found him to be very limited. For a professional footballer his distrubution is poor and one sign of pressure and he hoofs it away.
That said, he looked better during the recent friendlies. For me though, Harte is the better option. While his distrubution is no better than Maybury's at least he has the ability to pull a goal out of the bag with a set piece.

brine3
06/09/2004, 10:40 AM
Perhaps Ian should stop concentrating on scoring 35 yeard free kicks every week and learn how to defend.