PDA

View Full Version : Ian Harte

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Stuttgart88
19/12/2005, 7:02 AM
laursen is gone I think.

Plastic Paddy
19/12/2005, 7:30 AM
Laursen left to return to Denmark at the end of last season.

I don't want Harte at Celtic as I don't see what he'd contribute. We still have enough journeymen pros (Alan Thompson anyone?) without adding another; besides which, we have enough cover at the moment between Camara, Wallace and (as Gustavo rightly points out) Virgo for the left full-back position.

:ball: PP

Lionel Ritchie
19/12/2005, 8:57 AM
Laursen left to return to Denmark at the end of last season.

I don't want Harte at Celtic as I don't see what he'd contribute. We still have enough journeymen pros (Alan Thompson anyone?) without adding another; besides which, we have enough cover at the moment between Camara, Wallace and (as Gustavo rightly points out) Virgo for the left full-back position.

Harte a Journeyman pro? he's played for two clubs.

Kingdom
19/12/2005, 9:05 AM
Not that I care v. much about Celtic, but I don't see what extra Harte would give them.
Seeing as Paul Hartley is on the market, perhaps they should go for him.

Plastic Paddy
19/12/2005, 9:20 AM
Harte a Journeyman pro? he's played for two clubs.

You're dead right. :o I was thinking more in terms of his treading water professionally rather than the more literal meaning of the phrase. I could have chosen a better phrase. "Underachiever" maybe?

Hulsey
19/12/2005, 10:22 AM
Isn't Virgo a centre half/centre forward? Not sure he'd do a decent job there.

Tenderloins
19/12/2005, 12:03 PM
Hartes free taking abilities are worth a gamble on signing him.

Shelsman
19/12/2005, 12:27 PM
I was thinking that if Given wants to win medals in his career and a move to a big club doesn't materialise, he should consider moving to Celtic in a year or two ( either that or Shels! ).

geysir
19/12/2005, 1:41 PM
isn't Virgo a centre half/centre forward?
Versatile around the back 4, he was a star signing:)

klein4
19/12/2005, 3:58 PM
Hartes free taking abilities are worth a gamble on signing him.
has he scored many frees for levante?
I know he scored one on his debut but did he score many after that.

Crunch
19/12/2005, 11:49 PM
moving to celtic would be good for him. I don't think the Spannish Second division is much use if he wants to play for Ireland.

as_i_say
20/12/2005, 7:38 AM
Harte is éires number one left full so I think it'd be a great move for him. Possibly the most consistent player of Kerr's tenure. The 3 games he played of course

John83
20/12/2005, 9:47 AM
Harte is éires number one left full so I think it'd be a great move for him. Possibly the most consistent player of Kerr's tenure. The 3 games he played of course
Seriously, who calls Ireland "éire"?:eek:

Noelys Guitar
19/01/2006, 1:35 PM
All as loanees. From the BBC site

eirebhoy
19/01/2006, 2:23 PM
From the BBC site
Shouldn't be hard to post a link then. ;)

Portsmouth hope to sign Andy Reid on loan from Tottenham. (Daily Mirror (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=16601981%26method=full%26siteid=94762% 26headline=harry%2ds%2dreid%2dswoop%2d-name_page.html))

Levante's former Leeds United defender Ian Harte is another target for Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp. (Times (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=16601981%26method=full%26siteid=94762% 26headline=harry%2ds%2dreid%2dswoop%2d-name_page.html))

Pompey want Charlton pair Dean Kiely and Jason Euell but Addicks boss Alan Curbishley has demanded Lomano LuaLua in return. (Star)

pete
19/01/2006, 2:55 PM
Shouldn't be hard to post a link then. ;)

I can't find on BBC not even in gossip section...

Thread title changed...

Tired&Emotional
20/01/2006, 12:40 PM
Reidy could be making a return to the City Ground .....Forest have put a bid in and for Michael Brown apparently! Can't see this going to completion though!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/4630340.stm

eirebhoy
20/01/2006, 1:39 PM
Tottenham Hotspur have confirmed that they have received an offer for Michael Brown and Andy Reid, believed to have been from Nottingham Forest. But the North London club are unwilling to allow the midfield players to leave unless they can find replacements.

Harry Redknapp, the Portsmouth manager, has also asked about Reid, the former Forest player, and has been in touch with Charlton Athletic over a possible loan deal for Jason Euell, the forward. Euell’s team-mate, Dean Kiely, leads the candidates to be the new Portsmouth goalkeeper.

Brighton & Hove Albion have signed Wayne Henderson, the goalkeeper, from Aston Villa for a fee that could rise to £35,000.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2001095,00.html

lofty9
20/01/2006, 1:46 PM
Acoording to Jol, Reid is going nowhere

http://msnsport.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=355402&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Jol:+Offers+for+midfield+men

Martin Jol has admitted receiving offers for midfielders Michael Brown and Andy Reid.

The Tottenham boss has insisted neither player will be leaving during the transfer window, although he did previously indicate that he wanted to keep Sean Davis, before selling him to Portsmouth.

After allowing Davis, Pedro Mendes and Noe Pamarot to all link up with Harry Redknapp on the South Coast, it would appear unlikely that Spurs will further deplete their resources.

"Yes [we've had offers for them]," he told Sky Sports News. "Because Brown is a very good midfield player.

"I think he will do well for me as well.

"I want to keep him. Michael has showed me in the last three or four games, when he came on or played from the first minute, he did well. So I would like to keep him here.

"Andy is a bit different, a wide player. I want to keep him.

"He's one of the players who needs a bit of time.

"I think he's a left-footer and I don't have a lot of left-footers so, for him, it's the same story.

"If we want to keep a player, we keep a player."

Stuttgart88
20/01/2006, 1:48 PM
There are pictures on Sky News of Andy Reid going for a swim in the Thames. No, wait. Sorry....it's a whale.

Tired&Emotional
20/01/2006, 1:51 PM
There are pictures on Sky News of Andy Reid going for a swim in the Thames. No, wait. Sorry....it's a whale.

LOL :D :D

Superhoops
20/01/2006, 1:57 PM
Acoording to Jol, Reid is going nowhere

http://msnsport.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=355402&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Jol:+Offers+for+midfield+men

Martin Jol has admitted receiving offers for midfielders Michael Brown and Andy Reid.

The Tottenham boss has insisted neither player will be leaving during the transfer window, although he did previously indicate that he wanted to keep Sean Davis, before selling him to Portsmouth.

After allowing Davis, Pedro Mendes and Noe Pamarot to all link up with Harry Redknapp on the South Coast, it would appear unlikely that Spurs will further deplete their resources.

"Yes [we've had offers for them]," he told Sky Sports News. "Because Brown is a very good midfield player.

"I think he will do well for me as well.

"I want to keep him. Michael has showed me in the last three or four games, when he came on or played from the first minute, he did well. So I would like to keep him here.

"Andy is a bit different, a wide player. I want to keep him.

"He's one of the players who needs a bit of time.

"I think he's a left-footer and I don't have a lot of left-footers so, for him, it's the same story.

"If we want to keep a player, we keep a player."
Obviously watches his players closely:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

unless of course he is referring to to Reid's political allegiance!!:D

lofty9
20/01/2006, 2:01 PM

now i get it:) Just thought you were being cruel to the poor whale.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4631396.stm

Hither green
20/01/2006, 2:06 PM
Reidy could be making a return to the City Ground .....Forest have put a bid in and for Michael Brown apparently! Can't see this going to completion though!!!

That would be a disaster for him. I know he's not playing much but he's better than League 1. And whilst I wouldn't have him first choice for the Ireland in his current shape and form it would be a shame to lose him.

Hither green
20/01/2006, 2:12 PM

Apparently after they'd visited the Big Brother house the police went to White Hart Lane after rumours of someone else seen in an huge gorilla coat. :D

tricky_colour
20/01/2006, 6:53 PM
After all the trouble Forest had with Reid I am a bit surprised to see them
putting in a bid for him, although he was quite settled in Nottingham apparently.

Incidently whenever I seach google news for "Andy Reid" I keep getting
links for some USA coach. This time I accidently clicked on 'search images'
and this is what I got.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-15,GGLD:en&q=andy+Reid

Both Reids have a surprisingly simimar build, I wonder if they are related :p

eirebhoy
21/01/2006, 12:26 PM
Pompey chairman Milan Mandaric on Reid: "We’ve had a conversation with Spurs but have not negotiated a deal yet."

FarBeag
21/01/2006, 12:56 PM
Personally I think a move to Portsmouth would be great for Reid.There is supposed to be some Russian bloke pumping in the money and Redknapp is a good manager.I really don't think he should stay at Spurs as he will never be sure of his place and also the fact that Jol apparently is not even sure if he is right or left footed.He should stay well away from Forest.I rate Andy Reid a lot and think he is a very intelligent player with a lot to offer.We need him playing regular football and Portsmouth maybe the break he needs.

eirebhoy
21/01/2006, 2:00 PM
I've just remembered how close Redknapp was to signing Reid at Southampton from Forest so I'm not suprised to see him in for him again. Hopefully he gets him as he certainly rates him.

OwlsFan
24/01/2006, 9:52 AM
Redknapp to give Reid transfer lifeline at Pompey

Tuesday January 24th 2006

Gerry McDermott

WITH just one week to go before the transfer window shuts until the end of the season, the next eight days could define the season for several Irish players.

This time last year Andy Reid was left waiting until the final hours of the window before completing his move to Premiership outfit Tottenham Hotspur from Nottingham Forest.

Reid's dream move to White Hart Lane has turned into something of a nightmare this season as the Irish international winger has found himself on the fringes of the Spurs first team.

But Portsmouth are ready to offer him a lifeline with Harry Redknapp keen to take him on loan until the end of the season after Newcastle United sold Laurent Robert, who was on-loan at Fratton Park, to Benfica.

Redknapp believes that Reid would fit in seamlessly on the left wing as a direct replacement for Robert and the chance to resurrect his Premiership career as well as impressing new Ireland boss Stephen Staunton is likely to appeal to the Dubliner.

"We've had a conversation with Spurs, but have not negotiated a deal yet," Pompey chairman Milan Mandaric said yesterday.

Another player who could be on his way out of Spurs is defender Stephen Kelly. He made only his fourth appearance of the season on Saturday against Aston Villa but has indicated he won't be happy if he doesn't keep his place for the next game against Fulham.

That match is due to take place this day week, the night the window closes, so the chances of Kelly leaving this month would seem to be remote but with his contract up this summer he could be gone in the close season.

"If I'm not in the side for the Fulham game I'll have to look at things again," Kelly said. "I thought I did well against Villa and if I keep my place then I keep my place. If I don't then we'll see what happens."

Kelly has been told by boss Martin Jol that he has a future at Spurs but the 22-year-old academy product, a regular last season, craves first-team action in order to press his international claims. "I think there's a future for me at Tottenham but I'm 22 and to progress and be pushing for an international place I need to be playing first team football."

Liverpool midfielder Darren Potter seemed to be on his way to Hearts after the Scottish club's majority shareholder, Vladimir Romanov, agreed a £750,000 deal with the Anfield club at the beginning of December.

Linked

But Potter has been out of action due to injury since then and reports from Edinburgh last night night suggested that the deal will not go ahead until the U21 international proves his fitness by training with Hearts.

Former Ireland goalkeeper Dean Kiely is another to be linked with a move to Portsmouth after losing his place at Charlton.

Addicks boss Alan Curbishley is reportedly interested in Norwich City's Robert Green and if he signs the England goalkeeper then the way would be clear for the 35-year-old Kiely to move down to Portsmouth.

Heading back to England could be Ian Harte who has made no secret of his desire to leave Spanish Second Division side Levante.

Harte is being chased by Portsmouth and Sunderland but his biggest stumbling block could be persuading Levante to transfer him as he is a key part of this side this season and scored on Sunday night from a trademark free-kick.

Already the January transfer window has seen some Irish players on the move with Roy Keane signing on the dotted line for Celtic after his controversial exit from Manchester United making the most headlines.

Striker Alan Lee completed a £150,000 move from Cardiff City to Ipswich Town while Shelbourne winger Wes Hoolahan joined Livingstone for £100,000 and U21 goalkeeper Wayne Henderson left Aston Villa for Brighton on a initial fee of £20,000.

Liam Miller's loan move from Manchester United to Leeds was confirmed until the end of the season and there were also loan moves for Patrick Cregg (Arsenal to Falkirk), Stephen Quinn (Sheffield United to Rotherham), David Bell (Rushden & Diamonds to Luton) and Gerard Nash (Ipswich to Hartlepool), while Limerickman John McGrath joined Conference side Weymouth.

Meanwhile, Luton's Irish U21 defender Kevin Foley has been linked with a move to West Ham following the departure of Tomas Repka.

© http://www.unison.ie/

eirebhoy
24/01/2006, 10:01 AM
Gerry McDermott rounding up all the old rumours. :)

OwlsFan
24/01/2006, 11:20 AM
Yep, but the trouble is that only one of the Irish players is rumoured to be going up (Foley), while all the rest are taking a backward step.

Over the post
29/05/2006, 9:32 AM
Harte scored two penalties for Levante at the weekend taking his tally for the season to 9, he's only one goal behind the team's top scorer Riga.

Levante are currently third in the Second Division and will be hoping for a return to to the top flight as the top three teams go up. They have three games left.

According to the local (ever so slightly partisan) press, they reckon he's the best penalty and free-kick taker in the Second Division.

Regardless of what Levante do, he's apparently set on returning to England for family reasons, and although the club will be sad to see him leave, the million a year he's raking in will come in handy.

gspain
29/05/2006, 10:01 AM
Hartey's faults are well documented on this forum - lack of pace, positional sense etc. However he has always been strong on set pieces. his delivery from free kicks, corners etc is normally of a very high standard. His penalty in Suwon was poor but his confidence was shot to bits at that stage.

He wouldn't be my first choice elftback but he is an option particularly if we are chasing a game. I also appreciate his commitment in turning up regularly for Irish squads.

as_i_say
29/05/2006, 11:22 AM
such a legend.(not being sarcastic) i heard him saying though that he would "settle for a championship club" in england. way to sell yourself short there harty

theworm2345
29/05/2006, 4:04 PM
Harte scored two penalties for Levante at the weekend taking his tally for the season to 9, he's only one goal behind the team's top scorer Riga.
I like him, and hes a good player, but how many of those 9 were from open play? Or even Free Kicks?

Over the post
29/05/2006, 4:27 PM
I like him, and hes a good player, but how many of those 9 were from open play? Or even Free Kicks?

I seem to remember him getting one from open play early in the season, but the rest are all free kicks and penalties. 10 assists too.

Mind you, no one's under any illusions that he can defend...

SeanieBoy
29/05/2006, 4:54 PM
I still think he is our best option at Left Back, I think he played well since he came back for qualifiers.

I seem to remember him getting one from open play early in the season, but the rest are all free kicks and penalties. 10 assists too.

Mind you, no one's under any illusions that he can defend...

Colbert Report
29/05/2006, 8:41 PM
everyone likes to pile on Harte but while I don't have any illusions over his defensive ability, he plays harder than ANYONE on this team EVERY TIME he plays - be it a friendly or a world cup game.

FarBeag
29/05/2006, 11:27 PM
everyone likes to pile on Harte but while I don't have any illusions over his defensive ability, he plays harder than ANYONE on this team EVERY TIME he plays - be it a friendly or a world cup game.

Have to agree with you there. May not be the best defender in the world but he sure wears his heart on his sleeve.Pity we don’t have more like him.

theworm2345
30/05/2006, 3:31 AM
Dont forget to mention that, with 11 goals, he is our 2nd highest active scorer.

Over the post
30/05/2006, 8:22 AM
I too feel his commitment and danger from set pieces outweigh any defensive frailty. For me, it's between himself and Killer at left back.

Roo69
30/05/2006, 8:41 AM
Man City apparently offering him a 3 year deal ?

as_i_say
30/05/2006, 9:08 AM
source plz?

tetsujin1979
30/05/2006, 9:19 AM
Man City apparently offering him a 3 year deal ?
Quite possible, the only recognised left fulls in the squad are Ben Thatcher and Stephen Jordan. Thatcher is rank and Jordan is still too young to command a first team place, and there's very little in the way of cover if either gets injured.

Roo69
30/05/2006, 9:55 AM
heard it on today fm this morning driving into work

as_i_say
30/05/2006, 10:27 AM
ah. must be true so! would be a good move for him. agree he is our best option at lb, always gives 100%, i'd fear that john o shi te would get in ahead of him though...

Roo69
30/05/2006, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=as_i_say]ah. must be true so![QUOTE]

Hence my question mark.

Closed Account 2
30/05/2006, 10:35 PM
Harte is a good player, always gives his best, and good from set plays.

If every player in the team was as committed as Ian then we really would be a force.

dr_peepee
31/05/2006, 9:38 PM
Harte's merits and vices are apparent but if you've a pacey astute centre centre half pairing (Like leeds during their run a few years ago) there's enough there to play to his strengths..

When you consider his poor runs, you have to look at who's playing beside him. As good as Breen and Stan were in Japan Korea, they weren't gonna be able to carry him. And playing beside Ferdinand, Woodgate, Radebe is a world of difference from Roque Junior, Didier Domi, Matteo.

It's sad to say but to get the best from Harte you have to carry him to an extent. But that'll be difficult until we get someone to cement his place beside Dunne.