PDA

View Full Version : Ian Harte

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Closed Account 2
23/05/2005, 2:16 AM
Doesnt look good for his club side (Levante) now tho... they drew 0-0 with Valencia but are a point adrift from Mallorca (who won at Deportivo 3-0). Levante face Villareal away (probably the hardest away fixture in la Liga, as Villareal have a great home record) and will almost certainly have to win.

FarBeag
23/05/2005, 5:47 PM
I am no admirer of Harte but seeing that the likes of Doc, Quinn and Miller are there i think he should be in. I have more faith in him getting us the winner with a few minutes left in the game than any of these guys especially from a set piece.Give him a run against Celtic I say and have him in the squad against Israel.

Superhoops
23/05/2005, 5:51 PM
I am no admirer of Harte but seeing that the likes of Doc, Quinn and Miller are there i think he should be in. I have more faith in him getting us the winner with a few minutes left in the game than any of these guys especially from a set piece.Give him a run against Celtic I say and have him in the squad against Israel.
He is not joining the squad until Tuesday 31 May, so no Celtic game. He was named in the Israel/Faroes squad anyway!

FarBeag
23/05/2005, 5:59 PM
Ok..Sorry my mistake. I guess try him in one of the others or am i being too optimistic here? I still think he would be good for a goal in the last 10 minutes or so if we needed.

TerryPhelan
30/05/2005, 7:10 AM
Levante have been relegated. This could well mean a return to England (and hence a regular squad place :D ) for Harte.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=9420570&p=94zx6y6&n=9420658&x=
Villarreal and Real Betis secured their places in the Champions League qualifying rounds for next season, but there was despair for Levante who were relegated from the Primera Liga on an eventful final day in the Spanish top flight.

Villarreal came from behind to beat Levante 4-1, and condemn their opponents to the drop.

jorge
30/05/2005, 10:12 AM
Levante have been relegated. This could well mean a return to England (and hence a regular squad place :D ) for Harte.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=9420570&p=94zx6y6&n=9420658&x=
Villarreal and Real Betis secured their places in the Champions League qualifying rounds for next season, but there was despair for Levante who were relegated from the Primera Liga on an eventful final day in the Spanish top flight.

Villarreal came from behind to beat Levante 4-1, and condemn their opponents to the drop.
I hope he stays in spain with another club but the chances of that are minimal

JimmyP
30/05/2005, 10:16 AM
Apparently he wasn't even selected last night

Plastic Paddy
30/05/2005, 10:26 AM
Maybe now's the time for that dream move home to the Boyneside. He should - just about - make the Drogs first XI... :eek: ;) :D

:D PP

Lionel Ritchie
30/05/2005, 10:29 AM
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Mick McCarthy came in for him.

Roo69
30/05/2005, 10:32 AM
Apparently he wasn't even selected last night

Yeah, since the new management team have come in he has'nt even been making the squad for matches. a summer move is DEFO on the cards for him. Sunderland maybe ?

Donal81
30/05/2005, 11:01 AM
Taken from yesterday's Sunday Times (by Dave Hannigan):

"Upon succeeding Bernd Schuster as Levante coach earlier this month, one of Jose Luis Oltra's first moves was to drop Ian Harte. The team had be haemorrhaging goals on its descent down La Primera Liga table and the left-back was one of thse deemed culpable. Harte hasn't made the Levante bench in their last two games and is already being linked with a move back to England. In all the brouhaha surrounding his recall to the Ireland squad, it shouldn't be forgotten that a season battling relegation in Spain - they are expected to lose the fight at Villareal today - has done little for his defensive shortcomings."

Tired&Emotional
30/05/2005, 11:06 AM
Taken from yesterday's Sunday Times (by Dave Hannigan):

"Upon succeeding Bernd Schuster as Levante coach earlier this month, one of Jose Luis Oltra's first moves was to drop Ian Harte. The team had be haemorrhaging goals on its descent down La Primera Liga table and the left-back was one of thse deemed culpable. Harte hasn't made the Levante bench in their last two games and is already being linked with a move back to England. In all the brouhaha surrounding his recall to the Ireland squad, it shouldn't be forgotten that a season battling relegation in Spain - they are expected to lose the fight at Villareal today - has done little for his defensive shortcomings."

...says it all really!!

ColinR
30/05/2005, 11:40 AM
i'd pretty much ignore anything that hannigan writes. however, i'd say if you looked at levante's form over the season, they have won much more points with harte in the team than without. their dip in form arrived after a good start, harte got injured around the same time, and so cannot really be blamed for all the goals they conceeded when he was injured, but maybe some of detractors would still blame him for that as well :eek:

Glacky
30/05/2005, 11:55 AM
Levante were relegated last night.

Harte hasn't been in the side or on sub's bench last couple of weeks as has been dropped despite being one of their highest earners.

I went to Levante v Valencia last week and Levante fans said he has been poor recently.

Donal81
30/05/2005, 12:27 PM
i'd pretty much ignore anything that hannigan writes. however, i'd say if you looked at levante's form over the season, they have won much more points with harte in the team than without. their dip in form arrived after a good start, harte got injured around the same time, and so cannot really be blamed for all the goals they conceeded when he was injured, but maybe some of detractors would still blame him for that as well :eek:

What's wrong with Hannigan? I don't read the Sunday Times much but I would have thought he has a decent reputation.

Tired&Emotional
30/05/2005, 2:29 PM
What's wrong with Hannigan? I don't read the Sunday Times much but I would have thought he has a decent reputation.

....not only that but he seems to be reporting simple facts here not throwing about wild comments...!!

ColinR
30/05/2005, 2:40 PM
....not only that but he seems to be reporting simple facts here not throwing about wild comments...!!

maybe its just my personal opinion, but i've never like him for a lot of personal attacks on mccarthy on some of his players around 2001 - will not read an article of his, and have not since then. but i will go through what he has said here:

"Upon succeeding Bernd Schuster as Levante coach earlier this month, one of Jose Luis Oltra's first moves was to drop Ian Harte. The team had be haemorrhaging goals on its descent down La Primera Liga table and the left-back was one of thse deemed culpable. Harte hasn't made the Levante bench in their last two games and is already being linked with a move back to England. In all the brouhaha surrounding his recall to the Ireland squad, it shouldn't be forgotten that a season battling relegation in Spain - they are expected to lose the fight at Villareal today - has done little for his defensive shortcomings"

harte was not in the team when they were 'haemorrhaging goals' - as he was injured. up until his injury they were doing well, and defensively - whilst not water tight, they were as solid as any other mid table spainish team.

i'd say the last bit about his defensive shortcommings is opinion and not fact - has he watched levante's games all seasons, or is he just making a small sniping remark because of its conclusion. harte had around four very solid months before injury when he was quite strong defensively by all accounts (sky showed very little of levante in the early part of the season when they were doing well) - only the real game, where harte was outpaced for one goal (owen's i think).

now, since then he is out injured for a few months and comes back into the team with the worst form in the league. does hanningon mention this (because if he did, then he would be reporting facts!)?

Tired&Emotional
30/05/2005, 3:30 PM
maybe its just my personal opinion, but i've never like him for a lot of personal attacks on mccarthy on some of his players around 2001 - will not read an article of his, and have not since then. but i will go through what he has said here:

"Upon succeeding Bernd Schuster as Levante coach earlier this month, one of Jose Luis Oltra's first moves was to drop Ian Harte. The team had be haemorrhaging goals on its descent down La Primera Liga table and the left-back was one of thse deemed culpable. Harte hasn't made the Levante bench in their last two games and is already being linked with a move back to England. In all the brouhaha surrounding his recall to the Ireland squad, it shouldn't be forgotten that a season battling relegation in Spain - they are expected to lose the fight at Villareal today - has done little for his defensive shortcomings"

harte was not in the team when they were 'haemorrhaging goals' - as he was injured. up until his injury they were doing well, and defensively - whilst not water tight, they were as solid as any other mid table spainish team.

i'd say the last bit about his defensive shortcommings is opinion and not fact - has he watched levante's games all seasons, or is he just making a small sniping remark because of its conclusion. harte had around four very solid months before injury when he was quite strong defensively by all accounts (sky showed very little of levante in the early part of the season when they were doing well) - only the real game, where harte was outpaced for one goal (owen's i think).

now, since then he is out injured for a few months and comes back into the team with the worst form in the league. does hanningon mention this (because if he did, then he would be reporting facts!)?

Fair comments, I bow to your superior knowledge of Harte & Levante - God knows, I certainly haven't looked at it that closely ;) . Hannigan may be selective with the "facts" (like any journalise, I suppose) but the general consensus would be that Harte ain't part of a team that would that would benefit him in fighting for an International place, he's not the player he was :) , and our squad now has better quality bearing in mind he has only been called up for cover.

Just don't think he's up to standard anymore and Hannigan reflects my opinions even if lit "SEEMS" ;) to be loosely based on the facts.

ColinR
30/05/2005, 3:41 PM
Fair comments, I bow to your superior knowledge of Harte & Levante - God knows, I certainly haven't looked at it that closely ;) . Hannigan may be selective with the "facts" (like any journalise, I suppose) but the general consensus would be that Harte ain't part of a team that would that would benefit him in fighting for an International place, he's not the player he was :) , and our squad now has better quality bearing in mind he has only been called up for cover.

Just don't think he's up to standard anymore and Hannigan reflects my opinions even if lit "SEEMS" ;) to be loosely based on the facts.

not claiming to have any superior knowledge of harte and levante, just doubting if hannigan has any. my only problem with your original post is that you say hannigan is stating facts, when all i could see is opinion (all i've read is the paragraph on here).

anyway, as i said here before, harte is not good enough to start, however, i think he is a much better option than the other cover left full players, and as such should be picked ahead of them

dr_peepee
01/06/2005, 10:03 AM
According to Sky Sports Tabloid Talk

Ian Harte, currently at Levante, is wanted by newly promoted duo West Ham and Sunderland.

elroy
01/06/2005, 10:25 AM
Wouldnt surprise me at all if mcCarthy came in for him.
Think he's seen his best days though. Having said that he was the only constant in our successful 02 qualifying campaign. He def deserves to be in the squad when you look at some of the other fringe players, would maybe be worth playing him against the faroes?

elroy
01/06/2005, 1:29 PM
This is how the spanish guy who covers la liga described levante's season. Maybe Ian Harte did quite well over there after all?!?!?!

Bernd Schuster should have left much earlier. His differences with the board and the players (he didn't even say hello or good morning most days) created an atmosphere of unnecessary tension and division that Jose Luis Oltra couldn't change. I feel sorry for Ian Harte, who played a very good first half of the season before suffering an injury.

Donal81
01/06/2005, 1:37 PM
Maybe it's just my dodgy computer but were you supposed to put a link up there?

elroy
01/06/2005, 1:48 PM
Nope this is it:

Bernd Schuster should have left much earlier. His differences with the board and the players (he didn't even say hello or good morning most days) created an atmosphere of unnecessary tension and division that Jose Luis Oltra couldn't change. ]I feel sorry for Ian Harte, who played a very good first half of the season before suffering an injury.[/I]

Hither green
01/06/2005, 3:03 PM
Anyone hear this rumour about Pardew being interested in bringing Harte to West Ham?

That would make it 3 relegations on the trot for Harte, surely some sort of record.

thejollyrodger
01/06/2005, 3:10 PM
would they want him ? maybe its him getting the clubs relegated :D

Donal81
01/06/2005, 7:12 PM
It was my dodgy computer, sorry!

jimbob117
01/06/2005, 8:34 PM
Anyone hear this rumour about Pardew being interested in bringing Harte to West Ham?

That would make it 3 relegations on the trot for Harte, surely some sort of record.

I think neil redfearn or craig hignett may hold that record!

hamish
01/06/2005, 8:38 PM
Please please not Harte to West Ham. Tell me it's not true. He's a nice bloke and all but come on. :eek:

Thomo
02/06/2005, 10:29 PM
darren huckerby must be on that list too

livehead1
16/06/2005, 11:54 PM
Exactly what the thread says...u heard it here first....dodgy move if u ask me

FarBeag
17/06/2005, 12:00 AM
Well Man u are hardly going to fall for his majestic left foot and his elegant defensive qualities are they?

jorge
17/06/2005, 12:02 AM
Where did you hear this bull****

tetsujin1979
17/06/2005, 9:30 AM
I heard he was linked with 2 other clubs in Spain, Real Sociedad was one, can't think of the other.

sligoman
17/06/2005, 9:33 AM
I heard he was linked with 2 other clubs in Spain, Real Sociedad was one, can't think of the other.

Yeah Sociedad are after him, so are West Brom according to the Star a few weeks back. He said he wants to stay in Spain because he likes it there and his family are settled there.

Peadar
17/06/2005, 9:40 AM
Nothing wrong with a move to Deep Dale.
Could be good for him.
He pretty much said himself that only a move back to England will help his Ireland prospects. Haven't heard too many other Premiership teams making noise about him.

Ash
17/06/2005, 9:54 AM
There was talk of West Ham looking to sign him

thejollyrodger
17/06/2005, 9:57 AM
stay in spain heartey cos' crap defending is the norm :D

elroy
17/06/2005, 11:17 AM
Yeah Sociedad are after him, so are West Brom according to the Star a few weeks back. He said he wants to stay in Spain because he likes it there and his family are settled there.

Ya he did stand out at the Israel game alright, very tanned looking, id say Hartey is enjoying the life over there alright.

livehead1
17/06/2005, 12:11 PM
Where did you hear this bull****

he was seen outside deepdale with his agent..

onenilgameover
21/06/2005, 2:44 AM
Can't see any Premiership club being interested....He ill cost ye 10 or more goals a season where there simply wouldn't be those goals. sweet ledt foot but he is a liability.... :confused: :o

loudy macloud
21/06/2005, 8:56 AM
there was a romour he was on his way to west ham, obvioulsy that was just a lie

Lionel Ritchie
23/06/2005, 10:37 AM
Always thought him a useful player to have about. think his defensive shortcomings are overstated and more likely to get you a goal than concede one. Would be suprised if a premier club didn't come in for him. Mick?

Stuttgart88
23/06/2005, 10:50 AM
think his defensive shortcomings are overstated

I was thinking about this recently. I got a great view of Harte's performance against Israel from my seat in the West Lower. He just doesn't look an accomplished defender though there were no glaring errors. He does look more comfortable using the ball in that position than O'Shea though.

I know he was injured in Japan, but he was just terrible out there. I can't really remember if the Cameroon goal was his fault - but whoever cut the ball back for the goalscorer (Mboma?) was given the freedom of the penalty box. Moments before Matt Holland's equaliser Harte gifted Cameroon a chance which they lobbed over a stranded Given.

Klose's goal in Ibaraki was Harte's error IMO.

Holland's first goal in Amsterdam was a direct error by Harte too.

But he does add balance to the team as well as his obvious dead-ball ability.

I wouldn't have him in my starting XI but I think he's worth his place in the squad.

macdermesser
23/06/2005, 11:44 AM
I know he was injured in Japan, but he was just terrible out there. I can't really remember if the Cameroon goal was his fault - but whoever cut the ball back for the goalscorer (Mboma?) was given the freedom of the penalty box. Moments before Matt Holland's equaliser Harte gifted Cameroon a chance which they lobbed over a stranded Given.

Klose's goal in Ibaraki was Harte's error IMO.

Holland's first goal in Amsterdam was a direct error by Harte too.

The list goes on .. Morientes goal in Saipan came from the left side of the defence .. and the two goals in Basle were down to him not tracking back. Being hyper critical I suppose .. but there is plenty to go on. But agree that perhaps he is worth a place in the squad ... might be good to bring on at some stage for his free kicks alone

Donal81
23/06/2005, 12:06 PM
I know the know-alls on here slate Harte but speaking as someone who has spent time in his company on many occasions, he is a committed, hardworking and honest footballer.

So is my mate who plays astro every week in Tallaght, I still wouldn't assume that he deserves a place in the squad. I don't think any criticism of Harte here is unfair. His defensive shortcomings are genuine as are his skills with a dead ball, it's not some campaign to smear his good name or anything.

I'm sure he's a nice bloke but his personality was never called into question here, apart from when he had a go at Kerr for not being included in the squad.

My abiding memory of Harte is of him being one of a number of players who were carried by Roy Keane through the 2002 qualifiers. I'm sure he always tried his best but that's not reason alone to start the bloke.

Stuttgart88
23/06/2005, 12:13 PM
and the two goals in Basle were down to him not tracking back. Being hyper critical I suppose

Hyper critical indeed! The first goal was clearly O'Shea's error and the second was a cross from the Swiss left (so our right) & a header which Given didn't cope with very well.

tetsujin1979
23/06/2005, 12:27 PM
Saudi Arabia's one great chance (think it was Al-Jaber (sp??) but I'm not sure) came from him being one on one with Harte, we were only 1 up at the time, so if they had scored, we would have had a right mountain to climb to get through the group.

Again, probably being over-critical, but he must have been identified as the weak link in that defence by the oppposition

carnstien
23/06/2005, 3:12 PM
If I was managing a crap Premiership team like West Brom or whoever I'd sign Harte and play him left midfield. He would be a huge asset to any side when it comes to set pieces and is a fantastic crosser of the ball, as well as being a good passer, having a fair ammount of skill and being a good goal scorer.

Don't think the fact that he is slow and is a sh!te defender really has much baring if he is playing in that position.

But unfortunately I'm not managing a crap Premiership team now am I?

Poor Student
23/06/2005, 3:37 PM
He would be a huge asset to any side when it comes to set pieces and is a fantastic crosser of the ball, as well as being a good passer, having a fair ammount of skill and being a good goal scorer.

I always found his distribution of the ball pretty poor.