PDA

View Full Version : Ian Harte

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23

tricky_colour
18/01/2013, 1:08 AM
Harte hit the bar or post from a free kick in a recent match as well. Not sure his set piece delivery is actually suffering that much at all.

No that was a good a kick as any. If it's suffering it must have been something to behold at his best!!

tricky_colour
19/01/2013, 5:02 PM
Any how been comparing the results against Nicky Shorey's

Ian Gets 8 points from 8 games whilst the alternative
Shorey gets 8 points from 15 games.
Which basically shows Ian makes any team twice as good, thought Shroeys individual stats look better.
Personally I think Harte is an intelligent player, you have to be when you are that slow!!

So updating
Ian Gets 11 points from 9 games whilst the alternative
Shorey gets 8 points from 15 games.

Crosby87
19/01/2013, 5:41 PM
Its Harteless when they dont start him.

tricky_colour
19/01/2013, 6:55 PM
elroy was suggest Reading's recent up turn in form might be due to the return Of Alex Pearce, but is seems to coincide
better with the return of Ian Harte.

Anyhow worth mentioning the Stephen Kelly play his first match since signing, giving a very Irish back 4 of.

05 Pearce
06 Mariappa
23 Harte
27 Kelly

Crosby87
19/01/2013, 10:22 PM
Are you drunk Tricky? :drink:

tricky_colour
19/01/2013, 11:50 PM
Not yet but I will be.

theworm2345
02/02/2013, 3:43 PM
Anyone doubting Harte's set piece ability should watch today's game...been nearly perfect (bar one free kick which was perhaps too close).

tricky_colour
02/02/2013, 3:50 PM
Yes great free kick from Harte to provide assist, played it in from the right to the far post where it was headed home.
He has provided great deliveries all game, say what you like about his pace you can't fault his kicking ability.
He did put one kick into the wall Sunderland made sure they put up a very good wall, I don't think anyone woudl have
scored from there. His free kicks are as good as you could hope for.

Cuyahoga
05/02/2013, 9:58 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/$T2eC16ZHJF0E9nmFSue7BQWdswwm%28Q%7E%7E60_35.JPG

DannyInvincible
05/02/2013, 10:03 AM
Harte describes Trap as a "clown": http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ian-harte-slams-trapattoni-as-a-clown-in-astonishing-twitter-attack-3377324.html

IAN Harte has launched an astonishing twitter attack on Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni by claiming that the 73 year old Italian doesn’t even know he qualifies to play for Ireland.

The veteran Reading defender, who has been in fine form for the Premier League side in recent weeks, made the claim on twitter after receiving lots of positive feedback for his hand in Jimmy Kebe’s winning goal in Saturday’s 2-1 win over Sunderland.

“To all the people asking if I have retired from international football. no I haven't trap didn't even know I was Irish #whataclown,” the 35-year-old Drogheda native said.

Harte has played for Ireland on 63 occasions scoring 12 goals, but his last cap came in 2007 and he has never featured under Trapattoni and has made the same claim of Trapattoni being unaware of his availability to the green jersey in the past.

Trap responded to Harte’s claims, he first made in 2011, saying: "Harte? We know Harte. (Stephen) Ward for me now is better. He can improve. Harte is 33."

Speaking about Harte’s recent form, Reading boss Brian McDermott said: “If you had a player with a left foot like Harte’s and a right foot like David Beckham’s, that would be some player.”

Harte’s Reading team mate Stephen Kelly was also overlooked for tomorrow night’s friendly with Poland at the Aviva.

I'd say that's blown any slim chance Harte might have had of a call-up. Trap may have been unaware that Harte was Irish when the claim was first made by Harte two years ago, but, as the article indicates, Trap is obviously aware of Harte's eligibility now. He simply favours the younger Stephen Ward.

As for Cormac Byrne's assertion that Kelly was also overlooked for the Poland game, Kelly has been rested along with Robbie Keane.

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 10:08 AM
Good man, Ian.

geysir
05/02/2013, 10:38 AM
Trap may have been unaware that Harte was Irish when the claim was first made by Harte two years ago, but, as the article indicates,
There is no evidence (apart from Harte's claim) to suggest that Trap did not know Harte was Irish.
There is evidence to suggest that Trap did know Harte was Irish.
It is a certainty that Tardelli knew Harte was Irish, long before Harte made his first outburst in May 2011.

RiffRaff
05/02/2013, 11:19 AM
I dont believe Trap has any idea of the players available to him. I don't see how Sammon was unworthy of consideration when he was free scoring in the Scottish Premier or when he was a squad player with Wigan, but now he's dropped down a division he's the bees knees since Traps advisors stumpled accross a Derby match. I'd love some of the journos to quiz Trap on his knowledge of players playing regularly in the championship or scottish prem because I'm sure he hasnt a clue. I don't for a second think Harte should be in the team and probably not in the squad either and his comments dont show him in a good light, but I have no doubt what he says is true.

Pablo
05/02/2013, 11:35 AM
He only qualifies to be a footballer through the uncle rule

DannyInvincible
05/02/2013, 11:48 AM
There is no evidence (apart from Harte's claim) to suggest that Trap did not know Harte was Irish.
There is evidence to suggest that Trap did know Harte was Irish.
It is a certainty that Tardelli knew Harte was Irish, long before Harte made his first outburst in May 2011.

Certainly. I wasn't suggesting Harte's claim was an accurate one. In fact, I considered editing the post to describe it as dubious but left it as it was.

I dont believe Trap has any idea of the players available to him. I don't see how Sammon was unworthy of consideration when he was free scoring in the Scottish Premier or when he was a squad player with Wigan, but now he's dropped down a division he's the bees knees since Traps advisors stumpled accross a Derby match. I'd love some of the journos to quiz Trap on his knowledge of players playing regularly in the championship or scottish prem because I'm sure he hasnt a clue. I don't for a second think Harte should be in the team and probably not in the squad either and his comments dont show him in a good light, but I have no doubt what he says is true.

How could that possibly be though? Isn't he surrounded by FAI advisors with knowledge of players eligible to play for us; whose job it is is to source out such players? I'd be gobsmacked if the FAI didn't employ scouts who regularly feed information on eligible players back to Trap/Tardelli.

BonnieShels
05/02/2013, 12:25 PM
And note; an eligible player who played in a World Cup for us...

tetsujin1979
05/02/2013, 12:34 PM
I dont believe Trap has any idea of the players available to him.I'm tired of this arguement, if this were true then there wouldn't be any new caps in the squad. Kendrick, Sammon, Keogh, etc

I don't see how Sammon was unworthy of consideration when he was free scoring in the Scottish Premier or when he was a squad player with Wigan, but now he's dropped down a division he's the bees knees since Traps advisors stumpled accross a Derby match.He was only "free scoring" for one season, when he scored 15 goals in 2010/2011. Doyle and Walters were playing in the Premier League at the time, and Long scored 23 goals that season for Reading, so we were reasonably well stocked for strikers.
If he couldn't get into the squad when he was free scoring at Kilmarnock, why would he get in as a squad player at Wigan?
He's only in the squad now because Keane is being rested, Doyle is out of form, and Stokes is only just back from injury. Trapattoni was at two Derby games recently, that's probably got something to do with it too

I'd love some of the journos to quiz Trap on his knowledge of players playing regularly in the championship or scottish prem because I'm sure he hasnt a clue. I don't for a second think Harte should be in the team and probably not in the squad either and his comments dont show him in a good light, but I have no doubt what he says is true.I'd really love to quiz you about players playing regularly in the Championship or Scottish Premier League.

Cuyahoga
05/02/2013, 1:41 PM
I'd really love to quiz you about players playing regularly in the Championship or Scottish Premier League.[/QUOTE]

Yeh but He's not the manager of Ireland.

tetsujin1979
05/02/2013, 1:56 PM
I'd really love to quiz you about players playing regularly in the Championship or Scottish Premier League.

Yeh but He's not the manager of Ireland.[/QUOTE]
I've a long held belief that you should only criticise someone if you offer an improvement on their actions or choices. Any idiot can point at something and say "that's stupid"

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 2:20 PM
Stephen Doyle ‏@dubsoulrebel (https://twitter.com/dubsoulrebel)
Trap on Harte tweet; WE KNOW THIS WE KNOW THIS. I KNOW HIM I SAW MANY GAME

Murfinator
05/02/2013, 2:22 PM
Not knowing the best performing eligible left back in the english leagues is actually eligible and in a position we've had persistent problems in is extremely poor and Trap's biggest mistake in my view. Harte is justified in his comments, petulant or not he knows he won't be called on at this stage.

Although its just a repeat of comments Harte made a year ago so its not exactly anything new.

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 2:31 PM
Not knowing the best performing eligible left back in the english leagues is actually eligible and in a position we've had persistent problems in is extremely poor and Trap's biggest mistake in my view.
Except there's no evidence that he didn't know, apart from Harte's word. And Harte is a certified moron.

jinx
05/02/2013, 2:31 PM
Ian Harte's best days are behind him still a good set piece taker not a bad player to have in the squad. But Trap not knowing he can play is a joke and says it all he's clueless :mad:

DannyInvincible
05/02/2013, 2:43 PM
Not knowing the best performing eligible left back in the english leagues is actually eligible and in a position we've had persistent problems in is extremely poor and Trap's biggest mistake in my view. Harte is justified in his comments, petulant or not he knows he won't be called on at this stage.

Although its just a repeat of comments Harte made a year ago so its not exactly anything new.

But Trap is aware now, and similarly claimed knowledge of Harte's eligibility back then.

Harte? We know Harte. (Stephen) Ward for me now is better. He can improve. Harte is 33.

Mr A
05/02/2013, 2:48 PM
At times I wonder how long I'll keep liking football given how many footballers are such utter ballbags.

SkStu
05/02/2013, 3:29 PM
Harte has been a ballbag for a long time but there is a small grain of truth behind his statements. Im not sure that Trap is as readily aware of the resources at his disposal as, perhaps, most of his predecessors were. I believe that he (or any irish manager) should have the same level of knowledge about championship, scots, lower league and youth players as most regulars on this forum and i dont think that is the case with him. However, it doesnt have much of a material affect on our results.

tricky_colour
05/02/2013, 3:56 PM
Harte? We know Harte. (Stephen) Ward for me now is better. He can improve. Harte is 33.

David Beckham is 37!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/05/article-2273662-175AC813000005DC-411_634x566.jpg

Beckham 37. I bet Trap would call him up!!

tetsujin1979
05/02/2013, 3:57 PM
He can't play left full either.

Mr A
05/02/2013, 4:03 PM
I'll bet Trap doesn't realise Beckham is Irish either.

mark12345
05/02/2013, 10:01 PM
Good man, Ian.

It's true what Harte says. Trap is a bit of a clown because he doesn't appear to know the players available to him, and those he does know (like Joey O'Brien and Hoolohan) are not picked anyway. But as for Harte, he was a real slow coach back when he played and has gotten even slower. He does not merit a place in the Ireland team, not even close.

nigel-harps1954
05/02/2013, 10:08 PM
I'd like to see a rule introduced in international football where every country must pick a certain number of players from their own domestic league similar to the Premier League in England where teams must have players from England in their match day squads.

Then it'd be great craic to see Trap struggle with that.

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 10:08 PM
I think Trap has been negligent in terms of getting to know players, meaning the likes of Hendrick and Keogh have been overlooked when they'd have been good additions a year or so ago, but I do think his judgement of players is generally spot on. Like John Giles, I think he can figure out a player very quickly, which means he is sometimes inflexible when a player has been playing below himself or makes a real effort to improve himself. That said, I can only think of a handful of players outside of the regular squads who I could honestly say are being overshadowed by inferior players.

tetsujin1979
05/02/2013, 10:39 PM
I'd like to see a rule introduced in international football where every country must pick a certain number of players from their own domestic league similar to the Premier League in England where teams must have players from England in their match day squads.

Then it'd be great craic to see Trap struggle with that.
you sure about that rule? arsenal and Chelsea have both had teams with no English players in the lineup.
besides, if the rule did exist, any LOI player called up would have to deal with the stigma that he's only in the squad because there has to be x number of LOI players there, not because he's genuinely good enough

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 10:50 PM
you sure about that rule? arsenal and Chelsea have both had teams with no English players in the lineup.
No, the matchday squad idea fell on the ground, but the rule that 8 players from every club's 25-strong squad must have trained in the home country country achieves it in a roundabout way.

besides, if the rule did exist, any LOI player called up would have to deal with the stigma that he's only in the squad because there has to be x number of LOI players there, not because he's genuinely good enough
I'm sure they would deal with the stigma just fine, but it might have the opposite effect in that it puts more domestic players on the radar of English and Scottish clubs who can offer a better living. Footballers at LOI level are still scraping by so the opportunity for international football will be of little incentive to play in the league.

nigel-harps1954
05/02/2013, 10:53 PM

Done a bit of searching there, nearly sure they have to have a certain number of players in the match day squad from England.

From wiki:

As of the 2010-2011 season, the Premier League introduced new rules mandating that each club must register a maximum 25-man squad of players aged over 21, with the squad list only allowed to be changed in transfer windows or in exceptional circumstances. This was to enable the 'home grown' rule to be enacted, whereby the League would also from 2010 require at least 8 of the named 25 man squad to be made up of 'home-grown players', defined as a player who:irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Welsh Football Association for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)

Besides, if he was to call up anyone from LOI, whether he had to or not, surely he'd have to pick some of the best players in the league. There would be some eyebrows raised if he called up Jason Byrne or someone now (no disrespect to Byrne). He'd have to do some sort of research.

geysir
06/02/2013, 6:56 AM
I don't think it would work for the senior squad but it's an interesting idea.
If you were to try it out, then the u19/ u21 squad is a possible place to start to have a 1/3 LOI quota. As Tets says you could have this 'I'm only here because I'm in the LOI and not on ability', 'but on the other hand I'd say there are enough players who at least come close to the standard and possibly it would give some incentive for players to stay within the LOI structure a bit longer, than is currently the average.

tricky_colour
10/02/2013, 12:08 AM
Assist for Harte (corner) to get a goal in their 2-1 defeat against Stoke.

peadar1987
10/02/2013, 11:08 AM
It was a classic Ian Harte performance.

Great deliveries from set pieces, including a pinpoint one from the corner. Positionally not bad, comfortable on the ball, turning circle of the Saturn V, and with far worse acceleration. He was marking Michael Kightly, who soon figured out the best way to beat him was just to knock the ball past and run after it.

Luckily he fluffed the one free-kick he had within shooting range, straight into the wall at knee height!

Still, it was nice to see him play live, I'd wanted to since he was my favourite player when I was a young left back in the early 2000s. Especially as he didn't play badly, but the result went the way I was hoping!

peadar1987
10/02/2013, 11:10 AM

Interesting bit of trivia: Who were the first team to field a side with no British players in the English Premier League?

Yard of Pace
10/02/2013, 11:27 AM
Interesting bit of trivia: Who were the first team to field a side with no British players in the English Premier League?

Was it not Arsenal, no? I remember there was a big hullabaloo about it at the time, whoever it was.

peadar1987
10/02/2013, 11:44 AM
Was it not Arsenal, no? I remember there was a big hullabaloo about it at the time, whoever it was.

Arsenal were the first to name an entire 18 man squad with no British or Irish players in it, but as far as I know, the first to have 11 on the pitch not from Britain or Ireland was another club, back when Arsenal still had the likes of Ashley Cole, Seaman, Keown and Parlour playing regularly (although I can't find any evidence supporting that just now, it's based on a memory of watching the game and hearing the commentator say it, which may be questionable)

Supreme feet
10/02/2013, 11:49 AM
Arsenal were the first to name an entire 18 man squad with no British or Irish players in it, but as far as I know, the first to have 11 on the pitch not from Britain or Ireland was another club, back when Arsenal still had the likes of Ashley Cole, Seaman, Keown and Parlour playing regularly (although I can't find any evidence supporting that just now, it's based on a memory of watching the game and hearing the commentator say it, which may be questionable)

Wasn't it Chelsea? Back when Vialli was in charge?

dr_peepee
10/02/2013, 11:51 AM
Think it was Chelsea too...

peadar1987
10/02/2013, 11:57 AM
I'm fairly sure it was Bolton back in the days of Campo, Djorkaeff and Okocha. 2002-03-ish. I think Kevin Nolan was their only English player on the pitch, and he had to go off injured.

Crosby87
10/02/2013, 12:45 PM
Let's test the knowledge of you heavyweights with 2 other Prem trivia Q's. No cheating.

Who was the first non British manager of Fulham?

What Prem Side was originally called St Domingos?

brine3
10/02/2013, 12:54 PM
Jean Tigana wasn't it? He didn't last long.

Crosby87
10/02/2013, 12:56 PM
yeah.

Charlie Darwin
14/02/2013, 9:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDFgxKDCQAAo9gH.jpg

Grafter
14/02/2013, 10:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDFgxKDCQAAo9gH.jpg
Who's the babe?

Crosby87
14/02/2013, 11:07 PM