PDA

View Full Version : Ian Harte

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Murfinator
23/05/2012, 11:50 AM
Should have been in the squad, as cover...

Should be starting, we'll yet rue the decision to hand Ward a starting spot. Mark my words, it'll cost us big time.

mark12345
23/05/2012, 12:54 PM
"We'll rue the decision to hand Ward a starting spot"

That is very true, but Harte is not the answer. If Harte was that good he would have stayed with Levante. He is enjoying an Indian summer in a less that
top level league. But international football now way. Marc Wilson should have been our full back but since he's not the job should go to Stephen Hunt.

Junior
23/05/2012, 8:31 PM
Josh LB, Kelly RB - Simples

geysir
23/05/2012, 9:00 PM
Should that not be Kelly RB Josh LB?

Junior
24/05/2012, 9:47 AM
Are you looking up the way or down the way?:D

ArdeeBhoy
24/05/2012, 9:55 AM
"We'll rue the decision to hand Ward a starting spot"

That is very true, but Harte is not the answer. If Harte was that good he would have stayed with Levante. He is enjoying an Indian summer in a less that
top level league. But international football now way. Marc Wilson should have been our full back but since he's not the job should go to Stephen Hunt.

'Now' or 'no'?

Bit ironic as IH passes SW going into the EPL. Ward is at best only 1% better than Killer...

geysir
24/05/2012, 12:16 PM
Harte at his best would certainly be a shoe-in in today's team, would KK at his best have a sniff at LM?

theworm2345
18/08/2012, 3:49 PM
Don't think Harte has looked out of place today, suprised he didn't take their late penalty though.

DannyInvincible
18/08/2012, 3:52 PM
According to the BBC live updates, Reading missed five of their seven penalties last season. Did Harte take all or most of them?

Charlie Darwin
18/08/2012, 3:56 PM
He missed one as far as I remember, then duties were handed over to Hunt, who missed, then Roberts, who missed, etc.

Murfinator
18/08/2012, 7:49 PM
Harte is the form Irish left back and why we continue to ignore him in our weakest position on the field is beyond me.

tricky_colour
18/08/2012, 11:27 PM
Harte is the form Irish left back and why we continue to ignore him in our weakest position on the field is beyond me.

Because Trap has no Harte :D

..I'll get my coat.

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2012, 2:33 AM
Because he turns slower than an articulated truck.

Murfinator
20/08/2012, 11:10 AM
Because he turns slower than an articulated truck.

And given his positioning advantage he'd still react quicker to an attack than Ward.

the bear
20/08/2012, 2:26 PM
Hudging by the way Trap has played the last 4 years, not selecting Harte and Delap has been madness. It would of quadrupled the amount of chances we created.

Yard of Pace
20/08/2012, 3:06 PM
Hudging by the way Trap has played the last 4 years, not selecting Harte and Delap has been madness. It would of quadrupled the amount of chances we created.

I could never understand how Delap didn't get a look-in during the first Trap campaign. If you're going to mainly just lump it long, rely on set-pieces for goals etc, he's basically perfect.

tricky_colour
20/08/2012, 3:42 PM
He put in a good free kick on Saturday, only just over the bar

Murfinator
20/08/2012, 4:29 PM

There's a possibility in the case of Delap that he didn't want to make an international return, he had had a bad injury spell and was returning to form and fitness with Stoke. I believe he used to withdraw a lot when he was in the Ireland so perhaps dedication was an issue, I don't remember him saying to the media at any stage that he wanted a callup during Trap's tenure though I could be mistaken. If he did want a call-up and was ignored for the past 4 years then I'd agree its insanity.

For Harte its definitely insanity because its well documented how desperate he is to return for Ireland. And whatever about Delap as an option Harte literally plays in our weakest position that we've been struggling to fill constantly. Even with withdrawals last week he still chose Damien Delaney over him. It boggles the mind.

irishfan86
20/08/2012, 9:16 PM
I've got mixed feelings on Harte. He really is very, very slow and I feel could be a liability. But his set-pieces are as good as ever.

Regarding Delap, I think he was always open to a recall but figured he was never fancied by Trap. Here is a quote from 2008 in the Herald:

"I've been asked about Ireland a little bit recently but I don't think so. I'm getting on a bit now. He (Trapattoni) has a young squad now and they're doing well at the moment. There have been 'B' internationals and big training squads of 40-odd and I haven't had the call, but never say never."

Murfinator
20/08/2012, 9:55 PM
I've got mixed feelings on Harte. He really is very, very slow and I feel could be a liability.

What options do we seriously have at left back who aren't liabilities? Ward has no positional sense, Kilbane is slow and now injury prone, Wilson has no commitment, Tierney seemingly can't defend and his international status is suspect to begin with, Clark isn't good at left back, Kelly struggles on that side.

No matter who you pick there'll be concerns of them being a liability, so its just something we have to accept.

At least with Harte you get the guy with the strongest positioning, best form, playing at the highest level, most definitely wants to play for his country and bringing the greatest attacking threat. Of all the admittedly poor options I feel he's far and away the strongest.

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2012, 10:10 PM
Where on earth did you get the idea that Harte is our strongest left back positionally? Kilbane is.

Murfinator
21/08/2012, 12:59 AM
Hartes positioning is fantastic, he's very rarely exposed for pace because of it anymore. There was some stat he had for Reading it might be a few pages back where games he played in the past 2 years not only had more goals for but also considerably less goals leaked. Kilbane is fine but Harte is up there with the very best positionally.

Grafter
24/09/2012, 1:28 AM
Inevitable that Harte was left out this weekend after the Lennon roasting against Spurs... still he'll be back. You know, he's had a really colourful career for a fullback. The Leeds Champions League experiment, World Cup, sojourn in Spain, the lower divisions in England before the slow rise again in the twilight of his career. When you consider that Harte played that night in Brussels in '97 and I think even played with McGrath in a 3 man defence in '96?! What a career when all is said and done... and he's probably the only member of that Leeds side still playing at the top level with the exception of Ferdinand. Mad life in football! :-)

gastric
26/11/2012, 6:07 AM
Would be a good move for Harte.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-veteran-defender-ian-harte-1457488

Charlie Darwin
26/11/2012, 6:29 AM
Call him up Trap!

theworm2345
22/12/2012, 3:45 PM
Started for the first time since September 16th today, might've just picked up a calf injury late on.

DannyInvincible
22/12/2012, 3:46 PM
Started for the first time since September 16th today, might've just picked up a calf injury late on.

Call him up, Trap!

Stuttgart88
22/12/2012, 4:12 PM
At fault for City's late winner? That's what BBC suggested.

DannyInvincible
22/12/2012, 4:15 PM
He came off in the 86th minute. City scored in the 93rd. Must be blaming his absence...

TrapAPony
22/12/2012, 4:16 PM
At fault for City's late winner? That's what BBC suggested.

He wasn't on the pitch. He went off injured and his replacement Nicky Shorey was the one who could have done better.

Charlie Darwin
22/12/2012, 4:18 PM
Setanta commentator blamed Harte too despite spending a couple of minutes talking about how he was being taken off. Harte would have dealt with that cross you'd think.

the bear
22/12/2012, 10:23 PM
Even an injured Harte would of at least attacked the ball trying to clear it. Complete bottle job by Shorey if I was his teammate I'd be letting him know i felt.

theworm2345
01/01/2013, 3:55 AM
Harte has started the last three games for Reading and with him on the pitch they haven't conceded a single goal (he has played 267/270 minutes of those matches). In the previous four matches they condeced 13 goals.

The play at Spurs tomorrow/today (whatever Tuesday is) so that will be a good test.

Colbert Report
01/01/2013, 3:29 PM
An assist for Harte today. Interesting to see that he has somehow forced his way back into the starting line-up. Is Shorey just that bad?

Colbert Report
01/01/2013, 3:33 PM
Harte taking all the corners from the right hand side, Guthrie from the left.

tricky_colour
01/01/2013, 5:27 PM
But Reading lose today, conceding 3, but that not a great surprise V Spurs.
I note Tabb has been dropped to the bench the last few games.

theworm2345
01/01/2013, 5:36 PM
But Reading lose today, conceding 3, but that not a great surprise V Spurs.
I note Tabb has been dropped to the bench the last few games.
Third goal was a huge slice of luck. Harte was somewhat at fault for the second when he was beaten by Lennon who crossed for Adebayor.

theworm2345
12/01/2013, 3:52 PM
Amazing comeback for Reading today, Harte and Pearce both played the full 90.

Murfinator
13/01/2013, 8:47 PM
I've lost count the number of times Hartes career at the top level looked finished and he just bounced back to look better than ever. Seemed a foregone conclusion he'd be sold to a lower league side this window, won't happen now. If he continues to play an integral part in Reading's revival he might get yet another contract. Great resilience.

squareball
14/01/2013, 12:03 PM
I always liked him. Thought he could have done a job as a left winger as he is so good at crossing and would be valuable with his set pieces. Fair play to him for getting his place back. He was playing well last season.

SkStu
14/01/2013, 7:44 PM
He was/is so slow though. Dont think he would ever have cut it at left wing. The number of Irish games i attended when i was just cringing at how poor Harte played (more specifically how he defended). I think his challenges over the last 5 years have served him well though and he seems to be enjoying a bit of an indian summer. I havent seen a whole lot of him for Reading over the last couple of years though, is he playing well enough for a recall? Is CB an option for him?

tricky_colour
15/01/2013, 1:44 AM
He is 36 in August, but as his game does not rely so much on pace, because he doesn't have any apparently, age should not be a big problem for him.
I have always been a bit of a fan of Ian Harte though.

http://www.eplindex.com/16819/reading-shorey-harte-leftback-left.html
Bit of a story about him above which is quite impressive.

an Harte has consistently been a key part of the Reading system over the last two years, reflected in his goal/assist tallies and his recognition in the Actim Index. Last season Harte was ranked as the 24th best Championship player overall, and 9th best defender. In the 2011/1 season he fared even better, as the 11th best player and 2nd best defender in the league. As mentioned before, Harte’s ability from dead-ball situations is what helps him achieve these high scores. In the 2011/2 season the Irishman notched 4 goals and 11 assists, whilst the previous season saw him grab 11 goals, many of these from the penalty spot. Thus his contribution to the team going forward cannot be underestimated.

There is more on the link.

Any how been comparing the results against Nicky Shorey's

Ian Gets 8 points from 8 games whilst the alternative
Shorey gets 8 points from 15 games.
Which basically shows Ian makes any team twice as good, thought Shroeys individual stats look better.
Personally I think Harte is an intelligent player, you have to be when you are that slow!!

squareball
16/01/2013, 10:27 AM
He was/is so slow though. Dont think he would ever have cut it at left wing. The number of Irish games i attended when i was just cringing at how poor Harte played (more specifically how he defended). I think his challenges over the last 5 years have served him well though and he seems to be enjoying a bit of an indian summer. I havent seen a whole lot of him for Reading over the last couple of years though, is he playing well enough for a recall? Is CB an option for him?

In a Beckham type role where his job was to cross the ball. He would be almost worth a place for his set pieces and there he wouldn't be caught for pace defensively. He is very good technically just a shame he was so so slow.

geysir
16/01/2013, 12:45 PM
In the review I read of his recent performance, it referred to the low standards of his set piece play, which in a previous life compensated for other inadequacies.

tricky_colour
17/01/2013, 2:02 AM
In the review I read of his recent performance, it referred to the low standards of his set piece play, which in a previous life compensated for other inadequacies.

He provides the free kick for Reading winner, not an assist but an assist to an assist to an own goal, it's a decent free kick
though I am pretty sure that was what intended, ie knock in a ball to be headed into the box.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2261313/Reading-3-West-Brom-2-Watch-video-highlights-here.html

Good quality video there and nice to know they will be providing highlights to every Premiership match,
no need to get a new video recorder now!!!

Colbert Report
17/01/2013, 3:22 AM
Harte hit the bar or post from a free kick in a recent match as well. Not sure his set piece delivery is actually suffering that much at all.

nigel-harps1954
17/01/2013, 1:44 PM
Damn daily mail. Can't watch their highlights over here.

BonnieShels
17/01/2013, 2:46 PM
unblock-us.com

nigel-harps1954
17/01/2013, 4:03 PM
Yeah, but that's effort.

tricky_colour
18/01/2013, 1:02 AM
Damn daily mail. Can't watch their highlights over here.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/reading-3-west-brom-2/

foreign language (Greek?), pretty much cut Harte's free kick out apart from briefly on the last replay of the third goal right near the end.

Also the daily mail video is here. It says "Yahoo Sports Uk & Ireland" so I would assume that works you?
I would put in a complaint if it doesn't!!!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/reading-3-west-brom-2-000100090.html