PDA

View Full Version : Ian Harte

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

kingeric
22/08/2007, 11:38 AM
What's the diagnosis Dr?

yep, looks like Sunderland will sign him in the next couple of days to, erm, sort out their defensive frailties. :eek:

Andrew Cole passed medical today. The Man Utd retirement home that is Sunderland has got another member.

danonion
16/02/2008, 6:03 PM
Is this man's career over? He played full 90 minutes for Sunderland reserves the other day, any chance he is in Keanes plans. We still don't have a left full....

OwlsFan
16/02/2008, 7:45 PM
Is this man's career over? He played full 90 minutes for Sunderland reserves the other day, any chance he is in Keanes plans. We still don't have a left full....

If any team is looking for a full back with no pace, I am sure he'll be looked at.

Delbertt
16/02/2008, 8:56 PM
Ian Hartes a gonner

eirebhoy
16/02/2008, 9:13 PM
A player that relies on confidence immensely.

Scram
16/02/2008, 10:00 PM
A player that relies on confidence immensely.

Yes, very talented but very easily "down" as displayed in 2002 where his confidence was at an all time low. Looks like he'll never achieve to his ability.

Not sure if there are problems with commitment and/or fitness but his tracking back after going forward was dreadful a lot of the time both at club and country level.

Always thought that he needed a strict disciplinarian for a
coach but who knows if that is correct? Can't judge these things from the "outside"

Qwerty
16/02/2008, 11:20 PM

He is not in Keane's palns, during the transfer window he was told along with Cole & Kavanagh among others that they were free to look for new clubs. I wouldn't say his career is over but his EPL career certainly is. Maybe SPL or France...

carloz
09/04/2008, 8:54 PM
What i make is that it is not controversial whatsoever and that there was no need to start this thread

geysir
09/04/2008, 9:52 PM
There must be some prize that we don't know about, going to the poster who starts the most threads before May.

Serb
10/04/2008, 12:29 AM
He's not even playing for his club, and is probably on the Transfer List with the rest of the Sunderland rejects. Not in any way controversial.

irishfan86
10/04/2008, 12:30 AM
While I wouldn't say his exclusion is controversial, on merit he is no more or less deserving of a spot than Connolly.

macdermesser
10/04/2008, 8:10 AM
Can we merge this to the Ian Harte thread ... you know the one where the general consensus is that he is too slow, can't mark or track back, although he has a great left foot .. there isn't really any position for him in football .. maybe in some American football way where he is wheeled on and off for the odd free kick.

Would it be possible to merge this with that thread and then somehow bury it? Fed up with Ian Harte threads..

Drumcondra 69er
10/04/2008, 8:59 AM
What do you make of his controversial omittance?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOOK AT ME!!! EVERYONE, LOOK AT ME!!!!!

Pointless thread......

jmurphyc
10/04/2008, 11:25 AM
The poll makes this thread a bit meaningless. Surely that was done about 5 years ago?

Dr. Ogba
10/04/2008, 1:25 PM
The poll makes this thread a bit meaningless. Surely that was done about 5 years ago?

would have been interesting to see who voted yes.....I fear I may have been one of those 60 :o

lionelhutz
10/04/2008, 1:58 PM
Is there any chance Ciaran can be banned from starting threads??

Ive nothing against him posting away on existing threads but when I come on here for a few minutes now and again it p***es me off seeing these pointless threads top of the list - and yes i see the irony of putting this thread top by posting this but if it stops him starting idiotic threads in the future its worth it :)

geysir
08/05/2008, 4:08 PM
Just like my dog came in with some bone he buried last year in the garden.

But fair fĂșcks to Ciaran, he found his bone again even if a mod had buried it in a different place.

finnpark
08/05/2008, 4:18 PM
Is there any chance Ciaran can be banned from starting threads??

Ive nothing against him posting away on existing threads but when I come on here for a few minutes now and again it p***es me off seeing these pointless threads top of the list - and yes i see the irony of putting this thread top by posting this but if it stops him starting idiotic threads in the future its worth it :)

I agree

The Legend
08/05/2008, 7:55 PM
He should be allowed to start one more Ian Harte thread in 6 months..

.. "What ever happened to Ian Harte and where is he now?":p

geysir
08/05/2008, 10:27 PM
Just because you don't agree with what I have to say doesn't make it "worthless"
You are right there.
It's much more, that you agree with what you have to say, makes it worthless.

tricky_colour
08/05/2008, 11:39 PM
He should be allowed to start one more Ian Harte thread in 6 months..

.. "What ever happened to Ian Harte and where is he now?":p

Likely to be Ipswich, Norwich or Leicester City.

Ipswich finished 2 places off the playoffs.

Closed Account 2
03/07/2008, 3:53 PM
Any news on this, has our Miha signed with anyone ?

irishfan86
03/07/2008, 6:08 PM
Any news on this, has our Miha signed with anyone ?

Watford apparently interested.

Sligo Hornet
04/07/2008, 7:33 AM
Watford apparently interested.

Unlikely to come to Watford as we don't have the money to pay the wage he will require.....Club is also now up for sale:(
http://www.watfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~1338029,00.html

seanfhear
04/07/2008, 10:17 AM
harte would be only of any use to a club if american style goal kicker was introduced to football so that he could take the set pieces.I remember in the haydays of leeds they played against an italian club and the attacker just forced him inside on his right side and it was embarassing how inept he was .This coupled with a lack of positional sense and lack of pace makes a mistry of how he has had such along career and the fact a player of this quality has [though not recently] been in contention for a place in the irish team goes a long way to explain the performance of the irish team during that period.Mick mccarthy should have tried a lot harder to keep denis irwin in the irish squad as he was still the best optiuon even in 2002 at left full back. Denis would not be far down the list of irish all time greats.

Drumcondra 69er
04/07/2008, 11:18 AM
harte would be only of any use to a club if american style goal kicker was introduced to football so that he could take the set pieces.I remember in the haydays of leeds they played against an italian club and the attacker just forced him inside on his right side and it was embarassing how inept he was .This coupled with a lack of positional sense and lack of pace makes a mistry of how he has had such along career and the fact a player of this quality has [though not recently] been in contention for a place in the irish team goes a long way to explain the performance of the irish team during that period.Mick mccarthy should have tried a lot harder to keep denis irwin in the irish squad as he was still the best optiuon even in 2002 at left full back. Denis would not be far down the list of irish all time greats.

What a crock of sh1t. Harte was voted onto the PFA team of the year in 1999 and was very solid in his earlier career. His passsing ability and dead ball ability was up there with Beckhams in the premier league at that stage. A lack of pace and then confidence eventually cost him and he shouldn't be near the team now but to write off his entire career is laughable. A lot of his later problems at Leeds were as a result of Kewell refusing to offer any sort of cover at all.

Irwin was a savage player but had **** all left in his legs when he left. He was playing Championship football while Harte was playing well in the later stages of the Champions League, it was a no brainer. And how you can talk down the performance of the team during McCarthy's reign when we never finished outside the top 2 of a qualifying group and qualified in a campaign for only the 4th time in our history when Harte was our joint top scorer is beyond me.

OwlsFan
06/07/2008, 9:26 AM
And how you can talk down the performance of the team during McCarthy's reign when we never finished outside the top 2 of a qualifying group and qualified in a campaign for only the 4th time in our history when Harte was our joint top scorer is beyond me.

I think you know why - he was probably wearing a red jersey when he was typing his piece. I was never a huge fan of Harte but he certainly was worth his place for his dead ball kicks alone. If I recall correctly he had to stand in at centre-half on a few occasions as well. In 20 years time when we've probably qualified for nothing since, Mick Mc's days as manager will be looked on as the halcyon days.

Colbert Report
09/07/2008, 10:10 PM
Where is Harte going to end up this season? Back at Leeds?

charliesboots
10/07/2008, 2:04 PM
Anybody know if Harte has signed/spoken to/trained with anybody?

(the reason I checked this thread in the first place)

DmanDmythDledge
10/07/2008, 2:11 PM
Anybody know if Harte has signed/spoken to/trained with anybody?

(the reason I checked this thread in the first place)
Looks like he is going to Watford.
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/search/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=32997

gustavo
11/07/2008, 1:28 PM
Rubbish deleted. Please stay on the topic of super footballer Ian Harte.

Drumcondra 69er
11/07/2008, 1:47 PM

There was some Ian Harte stuff in amongst the waffle actually so I'll repeat it here.

As mentioned Watford are rumoured to be interested. Leicster are also said to be thinking about it and he's supossed to have had talks with Jim Magilton at Ipswich.

Calcio Jack
11/07/2008, 1:56 PM

Think you missed a few pieces of rubbish...I would of thought you'd of deleted the reference to " halcyon days" under McCarthy :D

DolansWaistcoat
11/07/2008, 2:21 PM
Last april I happened to be standing in the players lounge at sunderland next to Harte while he was talking to Stephen Wright and he said something like ''ya mate, i'm gonna be ressie of the year''.I stopped listening then and got back to my chicken drumsticks and tea.

Drumcondra 69er
15/07/2008, 10:48 AM
Harte gone on two weeks trial with Wolves according to today's Star.

Maybe the McCarthy stuff that Gustavo deleted may have been relevant after all....! ;)

OwlsFan
07/08/2008, 9:35 AM
Well he was offered a short term contract at Wolves but has turned it down apparently. He will probably end up with some low ranking Championship side though I suspect.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/7543385.stm

seanfhear
07/08/2008, 11:02 AM
Is there any truth in the rumour that Ian Harte is going to join an american football team as a goal kicker?

Drumcondra 69er
07/08/2008, 12:16 PM
Well he was offered a short term contract at Wolves but has turned it down apparently. He will probably end up with some low ranking Championship side though I suspect.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/7543385.stm

Bad move on his part imo, he's hardly snowed under with offers....

zenokelly
12/08/2008, 3:26 PM
Is it just me that thinks Harte can do a job for one of the promoted teams?

He's got experience at the top level, and will always do his best for the team. Ideal for say Hull considering he's a free agent, even if he doesn't have the pace that he may need to force a successful return to the Premiership.

Colbert Report
12/08/2008, 3:48 PM
He better sign somewhere quick. He'd be a good fit at a League 1 side like Leeds.

Whomever said that he'd fit in with one of the newly promoted teams needs to watch a video of the Everton/Sunderland match from this past season. He doesn't belong in the Premiership, or even the Championship at this point. He should sign a one year deal with someone like Leeds or Tranmere.

zenokelly
12/08/2008, 3:53 PM
He better sign somewhere quick. He'd be a good fit at a League 1 side like Leeds.

Whomever said that he'd fit in with one of the newly promoted teams needs to watch a video of the Everton/Sunderland match from this past season. He doesn't belong in the Premiership, or even the Championship at this point. He should sign a one year deal with someone like Leeds or Tranmere.

You don't just judge a player on 1 performance. Look at Finnan against Cyprus, yet a few months later he was in the Champions League final.

If you saw many of Sunderland's matches last season, you would agree that Hartey did his job adequately, nothing great, but he can at least stake a claim for a place at a club like Hull.

Colbert Report
12/08/2008, 4:00 PM
I love Harte more than anyone on here, but even I'll admit he's good only for free kicks. Very poor defensively. If he was as good as you say he was, Roy Keane wouldn't have let him go for nothing when he has little cover at left back. Wolves wouldn't have insulted him with a month-by-month contract either. He needs to go all the way down to League 1, prove his worth this season, and then try to get on with a Premiership team for next. Retirement is another option, he's on the wrong side of thirty now remember.

OwlsFan
14/08/2008, 8:54 AM
I love Harte more than anyone on here,

Was it love at first sight :eek:?

redobit
14/08/2008, 11:12 AM
Sure harte is OK on the ball and decent from a dead ball situation. however defensively his positiong in certain situations is terrible, and could cost you a game. IMO his strengths are not sufficent to compensate for his weaknesses, So id vote no to the poll.

EastTerracer
14/11/2008, 1:32 AM
Ian Harte played for Charlton Athletic reserves on Tuesday night while he is on trial at the club. Looks like Ashley Grimes junior might be one for the future though - anyone know if he is son of Ashley Grimes from 70s/80s Ireland squad?.

Also interesting to see that Mark Kinsella is reserve-team manager at the Valley.

Grimes brace sinks second string
Charlton slipped to a reserve reverse at The New Den on Tuesday afternoon.
Two goals from Millwall striker Ashley Grimes consigned the Addicks to a 2-0 defeat across the capital, their fourth successive totesport.com Combination League loss of the season.
Grimes grabbed the opening goal at the third time of asking moments before the break after two good stops from Rob Elliot.

And he gave his side some breathing space from the penalty spot four minutes after the restart.

Mark Kinsella handed a first second-string start for almost a year for midfielder Harry Arter in a game that also saw Dean Sinclair return to action.

He played at right-back, with a trialist in former Leeds United and Republic of Ireland man Ian Harte on the opposite side of the rearguard.

Another trialist, Darren Powell, also featured for a second time for the reserves in central defence while youngsters Grant Basey, Josh Wright and Jonjo Shelvey operated in midfield alongside Arter, recovered from an Achilles injury. Izale McLeod spearheaded the frontline.

Charlton started brightly and young Lions keeper Preston Edwards was a busy man in the early stages. He bravely dived at the feet of Basey and then denied McLeod with his legs before the hosts started to get into the game.

Elliot saved brilliantly to flip a Danny Spiller free-kick over the bar with 15 minutes on the clock and the visiting keeper could do little as the Lions took the lead shortly before the break.

Elliot had saved an effort from Scott Barron and then parried the follow-up, but was powerless as Grimes pounced on the loose ball to put his side in front.

The hosts then doubled their lead from the penalty spot early in the second half as Grimes cleaned up from 12 yards after Marcus Bignot was fouled in the box.

Grimes went close to a treble in the closing stages but by then the derby had already been settled.

Charlton: Elliot, Sinclair, Harte, Powell, Long, Christensen (Tuna), Wright, Basey, Shelvey, Arter (Lozano-Calderon), McLeod. Subs (not used): Christie, Stavrinou, Mambo.

SkStu
14/11/2008, 3:28 AM
as far as i know that Harry Arter guy is irish too... not sure if Grimes is anything to Ashley Sr.

irishfan86
14/11/2008, 5:51 AM
as far as i know that Harry Arter guy is irish too.

He has been capped for us at U-19 level.

Lionel Ritchie
14/11/2008, 8:34 AM
Sure harte is OK on the ball and decent from a dead ball situation. however defensively his positiong in certain situations is terrible, and could cost you a game. IMO his strengths are not sufficent to compensate for his weaknesses, So id vote no to the poll.

I wouldn't have him in the squad now just because he hasn't kicked a ball in an age. However if he earns his stripes again somewhere I wouldn't close the door. Good luck to him if Charlton offer him a deal but I was hoping he'd re-sign for Leeds United.

Some of the football in that division is downright inter-pub and he'd get plenty of goals there without being too heavily examined defensively. It'd give him a chance to get back to his best before having a crack at championship level or even a promoted premiership side next season.

Incidently -just on the highlighted bit, I believe some greater stato than I can confirm that at his peak (back when he was playing regular for us and Leeds basically), even with all the barracking about poor turn of pace, positioning etc... he was still more likely to be involved in getting you a goal than conceding one.

irishfan86
14/11/2008, 8:45 AM
At his peak, there's no way you could leave Harte out of a side with his dead-ball ability.

At that time, we had Kilbane in front of him who really made up for his defensive liabilities and lack of pace.

Even in the unlikely situation where he regained that form from the turn of the millennium, I don't think we could play him down the left with Duff.

I hope he gets his career back on track, but I honestly think his Ireland days are done.

as_i_say
14/11/2008, 9:36 AM
yeah i was a huge harte fan but its all over for the lad. theres no way a Il Conservatio Trap :eek: would even consider someone like harte because of his style of play. ask andy reid about that one.