PDA

View Full Version : Ian Harte

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Wolfie
14/08/2007, 1:23 PM
Could someone do the honours and get the David Connolly is World Class thread updated.

tricky_colour
14/08/2007, 2:00 PM
It says by mutual consent on the news but I expect the cheaper tabloids will be coming out with cheap headlines like this.

RogerMilla
14/08/2007, 2:01 PM
"we don't need a wooden harte" says levante.

OwlsFan
14/08/2007, 2:02 PM
Could someone do the honours and get the David Connolly is World Class thread updated.

I'd keep your head down if I was you, Wolfie. He may end up with Mick at Wolves.

stiofain
14/08/2007, 2:03 PM
I bet McCarthy will have signed him for Wolves by this time next week.

Sligo Hornet
14/08/2007, 2:05 PM
I bet McCarthy will have signed him for Wolves by this time next week.

I do hope so!!

Torn-Ado
14/08/2007, 2:06 PM
There should be some heroic Hollywood montage music to accompany these threads when they return.

Wolfie
14/08/2007, 2:10 PM
It says by mutual consent on the news but I expect the cheaper tabloids will be coming out with cheap headlines like this.

Spaniards bid adios to "Achey Breaky Harte"

gustavo
14/08/2007, 2:18 PM
There should be some heroic Hollywood montage music to accompany these threads when they return.

"Ian Harte , **** yeah , coming again to save the mother****ing day yeah "

Wolfie
14/08/2007, 2:30 PM

Maybe Tina Turners "We Don't need another Hero" playing over clips of explosions as the hero returns...........

"We don't need another her-o,
We got David Connoll -eee - oooh"

Ordinary Fan
14/08/2007, 3:07 PM
Harte has a long term injury that is career threatening and that is one of the reasons that no one signed him.

The Legend
14/08/2007, 5:39 PM
Harte has a long term injury that is career threatening and that is one of the reasons that no one signed him.

Step forward Leeds! :D

theworm2345
14/08/2007, 6:17 PM
I'm always up for it.
By the way, Keane won't sell Connolly anytime soon, maybe on the last day of the window. Expect Connolly to start up front either tomorrow or Saturday
BTW, I this is great news for Harte (him leaving Levante). I just hope he doesn't go back to Leeds.

Lionel Ritchie
14/08/2007, 7:48 PM
Step forward Leeds! :D

Provided his wages are reasonable I'd have Harte back at Leeds in a shot. he'll get a club higher up though. Probably premiership.

OwlsFan
15/08/2007, 8:27 AM

Yeah nothing to do with the fact that he is not a good defender and the last two teams he played for in defence were relegated :rolleyes:

Lionel Ritchie
15/08/2007, 8:48 AM
Yeah nothing to do with the fact that he is not a good defender and the last two teams he played for in defence were relegated :rolleyes:

Highly disengenous Owl. He played for a Leeds side that would've gone down whether he played or not and then signed for a spanish Crystal Palace who would be fighting relegation battles anyway -again with or without him.

bellavistaman
15/08/2007, 9:05 AM
Convinced he'd go to Sunderland

Dotsy
15/08/2007, 9:16 AM
QUOTE=bellavistaman;746322]Convinced he'd go to Sunderland[/QUOTE]

Sunderland or Wolves have to be the favourites I would think.

The Legend
15/08/2007, 10:53 PM
QUOTE=bellavistaman;746322]Convinced he'd go to Sunderland

Sunderland or Wolves have to be the favourites I would think.[/QUOTE]

Its a sad state of affairs if Ian Harte is playing at premiership level. He's a total pants defender... alright foot though.

NeilMcD
16/08/2007, 12:20 AM
yeah get rid of him he is useless lets throw him into the Boyne what he ever done for us.

The Legend
16/08/2007, 12:36 AM
yeah get rid of him he is useless lets through him into teh Boyne what he ever done for us.

Now you're talking! good man.

OwlsFan
16/08/2007, 10:19 AM
yeah get rid of him he is useless lets through him into teh Boyne what he ever done for us.

Were you drunk when you typed that :D ?

Harte lacks the pace and positional sense to be a top full back. His mistakes cost us dearly in Japan/Korea. Mick Mc obviously likes him so Wolves is a possibility. Not sure why people are suggesting Sunderland.

Dodge
16/08/2007, 11:13 AM
Think Neil was attempting humour after billsthoughts pointed out a couple of things...

Anyway harte received a nice settlement from levante but if anyone thinks he's premiership standard, they're kidding themselves

NeilMcD
16/08/2007, 12:07 PM
Humour, I dont believe in it. I am a dull gay boy.

Dodge
16/08/2007, 12:19 PM
dull gay
How oxymoronic...

NeilMcD
16/08/2007, 12:28 PM
"Do that good mischief which may make this island thine own forever..."

Sligo Hornet
16/08/2007, 3:23 PM

Someone 'phone matron urgently........Neil is in desperate need of his medication!:D

The Legend
16/08/2007, 8:11 PM

has that stuff worn off yet?

NeilMcD
16/08/2007, 9:59 PM
Its the tempest by Shakespeare.

Sligo Hornet
17/08/2007, 7:13 AM

...............and?:confused:

NeilMcD
17/08/2007, 10:06 AM
Its a well known case of an oxymoron in English literature.

Billsthoughts
17/08/2007, 10:19 AM
Its a well known case of an oxymoron in English literature.

wow. quite impressive. (unless you did it for your leaving or something)

NeilMcD
17/08/2007, 10:20 AM
Nah Macbeth for me and then Hamlet.

Billsthoughts
17/08/2007, 10:22 AM
Were you drunk when you typed that :D ?

Harte lacks the pace and positional sense to be a top full back. His mistakes cost us dearly in Japan/Korea. Mick Mc obviously likes him so Wolves is a possibility. Not sure why people are suggesting Sunderland.

was he not injured in Japan / Korea?
hes not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. but yeah he does lack the positional sense but he might be better now.

Torn-Ado
17/08/2007, 10:37 AM
was he not injured in Japan / Korea?
hes not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. but yeah he does lack the positional sense but he might be better now.

He was playing in Japan and Korea.

He was brutal.

Stuttgart88
17/08/2007, 10:38 AM
He was playing in Japan and Korea.

He was brutal.True, but I think Bill was pointing out he was playing while injured, a trapped nerve in his foot I think.

Billsthoughts
17/08/2007, 10:38 AM
I know he was playing in Japan / Korea(its not like we are in soooo many WC's its hard to distinguish em all)
But he had a trapped nerve in his foot or something. he shouldnt have been playing.

Stuttgart88
17/08/2007, 10:56 AM
Harte was derided by many from the moment he first played for Ireland, a little known teenager played at CB by Mick. Given the circumstances I think he did OK early on. There are always players that get a disproportionate amount of criticism and Harte is one of those. We have no divine right to a quality left back.

He was a decent enough left back in his "prime" in 2001/2, but the reality was that Kevin Kilbane provided a lot of defensive cover for him. They worked well as a unit though, each dovetailing & covering for the other.

Of course one can't underestimate the importance of Keane in that team's "success" but equally I don't think you can underestimate the importance of balance in a team. I think that team was the best-balanced team we've ever put out, the absolute classic 4-4-2. A right footed right back who could get forward, a left footed left back who could get forward, an aggressive centre back and a ball playing centre back, an energetic left midfielder, a classic central midfield pairing, a good wide midfielder and a classic forward pairing. Duff playing out of position was probably the only "square peg".

Harte was an important part of this balanced unit, and his dead ball delivery was also something that made the team greater than the sum of its parts.

He was probably the only player who performed well against Switzerland at home.

I wonder if Stan's opinion of him was permanently formed having witnessed his performances from close proximity in WC02.

I'm not fussed about Harte anymore. I think we've better players, but I do wish a natural left footer would come along & make the psition his own.

Wolfie
17/08/2007, 11:52 AM
I think part of the problem with Harte was that he was far more assured offensively than his sometimes suspect defensive ability.

There were occasions it seemed his area of the pitch was targeted by the opposition as a weak link in the team and they sought to expose the space he often left. His distribution wasn't the greatest at times either.

I'm writing in the past tense and yet he could still figure. The free kick option can't be discounted I suppose. If only it was NFL.

geysir
17/08/2007, 11:54 AM
Wasn't there a season in the EPL when they were all fawning over Beckham and his free kick goal count, meanwhile Harte matched him all the way.

youngirish
17/08/2007, 11:59 AM

Shakespeare was pants.

tetsujin1979
17/08/2007, 11:59 AM
I wonder if Stan's opinion of him was permanently formed having witnessed his performances from close proximity in WC02.
For Germany's goal, you can clearly see Staunton ordering Harte to watch Klose, while he went out close down Ballack (might not have been Ballack) but Harte left him go, and Klose scored.

Stuttgart88
17/08/2007, 12:06 PM
Wasn't there a season in the EPL when they were all fawning over Beckham and his free kick goal count, meanwhile Harte matched him all the way.Remember when Beckham scored "that" goal against Greece, from about his eighth attempt of the day from the same position? 30 mins later Harte stepped up and did the same against Cyprus in the first minute! He scored with his first attempt against Israel too I think.

Zidane's pressure kick against England was the best of all IMHO. The first dead ball he'd taken in a year. Perfect.

Ireland's set pieces have been atrocious since Kerr took over, Kavanagh being a major culprit.

Andy Reid can take a decent free kick so we're not entirely lacking. I believe McGeady is handy enough though I think Naka takes all the plaudits at CP.

Sligo Hornet
17/08/2007, 12:59 PM
Shakespeare was pants.

Tuffpaddy has told us not to use UK slang words........so do you mean Shakespeare wore pants!;)

Wolfie
17/08/2007, 1:13 PM
Shakespeare was pants.

I'd love to have written just that and literally nothing else on the English Paper in the Leaving Cert.

"Shakespeare was pants". I rest my case. :D

as_i_say
17/08/2007, 1:26 PM
Remember when Beckham scored "that" goal against Greece, from about his eighth attempt of the day from the same position? 30 mins later Harte stepped up and did the same against Cyprus in the first minute! He scored with his first attempt against Israel too I think.

Ireland's set pieces have been atrocious since Kerr took over, Kavanagh being a major culprit.

You're not wrong about Kavanagh-he was atrocious for us in the Kerr reign-balooned more free kicks and passes out of play than any other player i can think of recently

Kevin77
20/08/2007, 10:41 AM
Harte was derided by many from the moment he first played for Ireland, a little known teenager played at CB by Mick. Given the circumstances I think he did OK early on. There are always players that get a disproportionate amount of criticism and Harte is one of those. We have no divine right to a quality left back.

He was a decent enough left back in his "prime" in 2001/2, but the reality was that Kevin Kilbane provided a lot of defensive cover for him. They worked well as a unit though, each dovetailing & covering for the other.

Of course one can't underestimate the importance of Keane in that team's "success" but equally I don't think you can underestimate the importance of balance in a team. I think that team was the best-balanced team we've ever put out, the absolute classic 4-4-2. A right footed right back who could get forward, a left footed left back who could get forward, an aggressive centre back and a ball playing centre back, an energetic left midfielder, a classic central midfield pairing, a good wide midfielder and a classic forward pairing. Duff playing out of position was probably the only "square peg".

Harte was an important part of this balanced unit, and his dead ball delivery was also something that made the team greater than the sum of its parts.

He was probably the only player who performed well against Switzerland at home.

I'm not fussed about Harte anymore. I think we've better players, but I do wish a natural left footer would come along & make the psition his own.

Good to see you are still on here making your informed, balanced and well thought out posts. A very fair assesment of Harte's career with Ireland.

dr_peepee
20/08/2007, 9:57 PM
There's a generally reliable poster on a sunderland message board that rekons Harte is in Sunderland for talks..... Dunno how true it is so don't hold me to it.

dr_peepee
21/08/2007, 9:38 PM
Harte trained with Sunderland today.

Wolfie
22/08/2007, 9:06 AM
Harte trained with Sunderland today.

What's the diagnosis Dr?