PDA

View Full Version : Ian Harte

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

macdermesser
20/03/2007, 12:21 PM
I'm sure there is a statto out there who can confirm that Harte is more likely to be involved in getting you a goal than conceding one.

No way is he one of the best left backs out there but he brings talents to the mix that should not be dismissed out of hand.

someone here once made the point that he is a good player for which there is no position for .. he would be useful to bring on for free kicks and penalties (once its not a penalty in a World Cup second round game) and then take him off again.

Shelsman
20/03/2007, 12:55 PM
Was at fault for at least one, possibly two of the goals we conceded in Korea/Japan.

He had an injury throughout the World Cup so he was hardly at his best. Mick McCarthy did an excellent job in keeping this quiet.

NeilMcD
20/03/2007, 1:26 PM
Surely a better job would have been not to play him.

geysir
20/03/2007, 1:33 PM
Could have played Kenny and shoved Stan out to LB.
That's evidence + hindsight.

NeilMcD
20/03/2007, 1:43 PM
Kilbane played there for some of the spain game and was fine. Stan was way to slow at that stage of his career and would have been exposed badly on the wing.

Sligo Hornet
20/03/2007, 1:52 PM
Surely a better job would have been not to play him.

.....and an even Better Job would be to NEVER play him again.....as a defender he frighteningly inept!:eek:

Paulie
20/03/2007, 2:20 PM
I think most on here would agree that Harte is not a very good defender. When debating about his position in the team though you have to take into consideration what the alternatives are before he is discarded. With Wales and Slovakia in mind the other options are O'Shea and Kelly. I think that Harte is a better option than either of these two on the basis that I think defensively they are all pretty weak so the question then is what other attributes they might have. There is no doubt that Harte contributes more in an attacking sense both from open play and set pieces than either O'Shea or Kelly so with this in mind and considering that all three are weak defensively the best option to me appears to be Harte. I know Kelly was good against the Czech Republic but any other time I've seen him he's been pretty average.

Torn-Ado
20/03/2007, 2:23 PM
This is obviously a joke. Harte is another disaster and everyone knows he doesn't get first team football in Spain. I'd have him on the team before O Shea but thats not saying much. As for his placed ball qualities: his deliveries against San Marino were shocking.

The-Beer-Baron
20/03/2007, 4:05 PM
we arent taking into account switching finnan to left back. he would be my choice with kelly on the right and o'shea in centre mid. harte should be in the squad as he is playing first team football in la liga, even though its for a crap side but he should be nowhere near the starting 11.
irish 11 everyone fit

-------------------Given--------------
Kelly------Dunne(capt)----McShane-----Finnan
Reid-------Carsley-------OShea------Duff
-------------Keane--------Doyle--------

danonion
20/03/2007, 4:11 PM
Could have played Kenny and shoved Stan out to LB.
That's evidence + hindsight.

Stan at full back in 2002 ha ha the man was a fossil

Oh and Finnan is horrendous at left back, anything he does bring to the table is negated on that side of the field, even Carr is 5x better on the left

The-Beer-Baron
21/03/2007, 10:29 AM
we arent taking into account switching finnan to left back. he would be my choice with kelly on the right and o'shea in centre mid. harte should be in the squad as he is playing first team football in la liga, even though its for a crap side but he should be nowhere near the starting 11.
irish 11 everyone fit

-------------------Given--------------
Kelly------Dunne(capt)----McShane-----Finnan
Reid-------Carsley-------OShea------Duff
-------------Keane--------Doyle--------

and by reid i mean steven not that disaster andy.

also carr is a terrible full back. hed probably just get injured. he is part of possibly the most comical defence in the premiership.

citizenerased
21/03/2007, 10:59 AM
reid is injured, O'shea has proven to be inept in every sense in midfield, he gives the ball away to often leading to needless offensive pressure from the opposition...McGeafdy has to start he has been playing class of late, the only irish player who can actually beat players also..

Sligo Hornet
21/03/2007, 12:27 PM
Prediction for Saturday.

(1) Harte will score a free kick.
(2) Harte will combine with Duff to set up a goal assist.
(3) He'll burn the opposing welsh players with his lightning pace all night.
(4) Recieve Man of Match.

At least 3 of those will happen. <_<

?????? Ciaran.....are really Mrs.Harte:confused:
or is the medication wearing off;)

John83
21/03/2007, 1:16 PM
Prediction for Saturday.

My prediction for Saturday.

(1) John O'Shea will start at left back.

Torn-Ado
21/03/2007, 1:17 PM
Prediction for Saturday.

Look fella.

Stop taking the ****.

FFS

dr_peepee
21/03/2007, 8:23 PM
Harte's merits and vices are wll noted but if you've a pacey astute centre centre half pairing (Like leeds during their good run a few years ago) there's enough there to play to his strengths..

When you consider his poor runs, you have to look at who's playing beside him. As good as Breen and Stan were in Japan Korea, they weren't gonna be able to carry him. And playing beside Ferdinand, Woodgate, Radebe is a world of difference from Roque Junior, Didier Domi, Matteo.

To get the best from Harte you have to carry him to an extent. But that'll be difficult until we get someone to cement his place beside Dunne

carloz
21/03/2007, 8:28 PM
I may be wrong but i think our win percentage with Harte in the team is very high. Having said that i think his best days are behind him. Has he actually got back into the Levante team.I know he was dropped last month after a 4-2 defeat despite assisting both goals

danonion
22/03/2007, 12:22 AM
Look fella.

Stop taking the ****.

FFS

Ian Harte's record is good ... if he is right, you;ll look a right ass, but having said that you are probably right

Rosco
22/03/2007, 1:17 AM
SAVE ME JEBUS !!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN SOMEONE CLOSE THIS THREAD. JURASSIC PARK WAS A GOOD MOVIE BUT THIS IS OLD GROUND WELL BEFORE THE TIME OF DINOSAURS.
"In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists."

tricky_colour
22/03/2007, 4:50 PM
He should be left back in Spain :D
No seriously if he is playing well he is an option.

Closed Account 2
22/03/2007, 7:24 PM
He is better than most of our other options... I'd always have the fella in the squad

Over the post
23/03/2007, 8:12 AM
General opinion on the Levante boards is that he's not Primera Liga standard.

Still can't believe this thread has made it to a third page.

Colbert Report
15/05/2007, 4:59 AM
Where do you guys see him playing next season? He obviously really wants to come back to England. Is he good enough to get a regular gig with a Championship team?

Claret Murph
15/05/2007, 6:19 AM
Easy answer NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greendeiseboy
15/05/2007, 7:28 AM
scruffy murphy's in puerto rico, gc, heard he's a mean bass player

RiffRaff
15/05/2007, 10:17 AM
Saw a newspaper bit linking him with Sunderland a few weeks back. Not sure how much is in that though

Torn-Ado
15/05/2007, 1:19 PM
I should think that Harte would make a championship side. Eventhough he didn't get a sniff with Levante this season.

gufct
15/05/2007, 1:20 PM
Mainly because he was injured.Ian Harte would walk onto most championship teams and he is still only 29.

Ceirtlis
15/05/2007, 3:13 PM
He would get in any championship side outside the top 7 or 8 quite easily i would imagine.

Lionel Ritchie
15/05/2007, 6:07 PM
Said it before and i'll say it again ...far more likely to be involved in getting you a goal than conceding one. Would hold a place in any of the non-Europe qualifying premiership sides. I'm guessing he didn't get a move back last year because of a combination of (ultimately well founded) suspicions about his injuries and unrealistic wage demands.

OwlsFan
15/05/2007, 6:47 PM
...nothing to do of course with his lack of pace as a full back or poor positional sense.

Sligo Hornet
15/05/2007, 7:08 PM
I cannot believe I'm replying to yet another Ian Harte thread!!:eek: ...........what the hell has this fella got ( obviously not his footballing prowess ) that makes him appear on a monthly basis?:confused:

John83
15/05/2007, 8:26 PM
I cannot believe I'm replying to yet another Ian Harte thread!!:eek: ...........what the hell has this fella got ( obviously not his footballing prowess ) that makes him appear on a monthly basis?:confused:
Great hair.

Lionel Ritchie
15/05/2007, 10:14 PM
...nothing to do of course with his lack of pace as a full back or poor positional sense.

See my first sentence Owl.

kingdom hoop
15/05/2007, 10:26 PM
See my first sentence Owl.

Give him a chance, it was still bright when he replied. His vision should be coming into its own about now.:D

OwlsFan
16/05/2007, 9:57 AM
Give him a chance, it was still bright when he replied. His vision should be coming into its own about now.:D

:D It's a bit later now but I still read the sentence as meaning he's more likely to score one than to concede one with which I don't agree.

as_i_say
16/05/2007, 12:51 PM
if fit i'd easily have him in the irish set up. we havent had a proper left full since he was involved last. o sh ite and finnan havent exactly impressed there (finnan of course is excellent mostly at rb). steve carr i wouldnt let near the team and geary isnt getting a chance.

open arms welcome i'd give him. :)

The Legend
16/05/2007, 5:00 PM
He might get a game with S****horpe, but should never be anywhere the irish aquad again.... unless he came out of semi-retirement and a Lourdes type miracle descended upon him to give him speed and a brain!

Lionel Ritchie
16/05/2007, 5:36 PM
...some garbage being spouted on here. The only player we have in La Liga -even with the Spanish equivalent of a Crystal Palace or Coventry City...and one of about half a dozen Irishmen with CL experience under his belt...:rolleyes:

John83
16/05/2007, 8:09 PM
He might get a game with S****horpe, but should never be anywhere the irish aquad again.... unless he came out of semi-retirement and a Lourdes type miracle descended upon him to give him speed and a brain!
He'll be off to see the wizard so.

OwlsFan
16/05/2007, 8:53 PM
if fit i'd easily have him in the irish set up. we havent had a proper left full since he was involved last. o sh ite and finnan havent exactly impressed there (finnan of course is excellent mostly at rb). steve carr i wouldnt let near the team and geary isnt getting a chance.

open arms welcome i'd give him. :)

I thought O'Shea and Finnan impressed in the last two home games but let's not get ridicule in the way of facts :rolleyes:

bennocelt
17/05/2007, 11:04 AM
...some garbage being spouted on here. The only player we have in La Liga -even with the Spanish equivalent of a Crystal Palace or Coventry City...and one of about half a dozen Irishmen with CL experience under his belt...:rolleyes:

yeah, but we are talking about Ian Harte:rolleyes:

Soper
17/05/2007, 11:49 AM
and one of about half a dozen Irishmen with CL experience under his belt...:rolleyes:
The remainder of the half a dozen being the players Cork haven't sold?

as_i_say
17/05/2007, 12:35 PM
I thought O'Shea and Finnan impressed in the last two home games but let's not get ridicule in the way of facts :rolleyes:

what facts are you referring to :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Noelys Guitar
17/05/2007, 12:40 PM
Harte is a non defending defender. I would love to see any of our oppenents playing a player like Harte at left back. Will always been skinned by a good winger. And cannot get up High enough to head the ball. Against a team like the Czechs (Koller) or Germans (Klose) goal down every time with Harte playing.

Over the post
17/05/2007, 1:53 PM
Harte has hardly played for Levante this season due to injury. He was starting to get games a month or so ago when the club sacked the manager and the new fella doesn't rate Harte at all. Realising he wasn't going to play for the rest of the season, Harte decided to have a long-standing problem with his foot operated on. As far as I know he's back to full fitness but has no chance of getting a game.
He was one of the best players in the Spanish second division last season and I'd reckon he'd easily hold his own at a similar level in England.
I always thought he'd be suited to left midfield, where his work rate and crossing ability would make up for his lack of pace.

OwlsFan
17/05/2007, 4:47 PM
what facts are you referring to :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The fact that O'Shea had good games against Slovakia and Wales. I wouldn't be a fan of O'Shea but he played well in both of those games. Fact :p

galwayhoop
17/05/2007, 5:00 PM
I always thought he'd be suited to left midfield, where his work rate and crossing ability would make up for his lack of pace.

i have thought the same myself. during WC02 i thought it could be an option to put KK at LB and Harte at LM. i still think it is feisible but surely we have a more viable option for LM now in Kevin Hunt (and obviously Duff when/if he comes back)

eirebhoy
17/05/2007, 5:03 PM
The fact that O'Shea had good games against Slovakia and Wales. I wouldn't be a fan of O'Shea but he played well in both of those games. Fact :p
I just can't agree with that assessment. It was 2 completely average performances by O'Shea imo. I rarely post negative views on Irish players but John O'Shea's standards are so bad that when he doesn't make a mistake he's seen to have a good game. He hardly passed the half way line.

The Legend
17/05/2007, 5:08 PM
i still think it is feisible but surely we have a more viable option for LM now in Kevin Hunt (and obviously Duff when/if he comes back)

Is that Stephen's brother?:rolleyes: