PDA

View Full Version : Finnan, O Brien and Kiely coming out of Retirement?

Pages : 1 [2]

shakermaker1982
14/04/2008, 11:03 AM
The more players we have in contention for CB the better. I'd rather have O'Brien at CB than O'Shea.

the doc
14/04/2008, 11:33 AM
Jaysus how did so many clubs fit into that small ground?! And how do you know any of them were watching St. Ledger?

Well seems as I was sitting by them and could see them writing reports on the Saint, thats how I know.

It's also common knowledge amongst the Preston fans that clubs are watching him and that he has the ability to play at a higher level.

youngirish
14/04/2008, 12:14 PM
Stop presenting your opinion as fact. Look at the stats from that campaign. 5 goals conceded with the O'Brien - Cunningham partnership. Dunne is put beside Cunningham for the home France match - we lose 1-0. O'Brien was there in Paris (and put in a decent performance that match) and we drew 0-0. So stop pretending that your opinion is fact. Grow up.

And don't tell me again what I'm going to say or think. I never called for O'Brien's head, I've expressed reservations - as I probably have about most Irish players in the last campaign. Is that all you can reply with? Come on, do better.

Look at it:

O'Dea - 21 - can't break into the Celtic team. Look what happened the last time an out of practise centre half was played?

St. Ledger - 23 - I have a lot of hope for this guy - could be a big player in the future. However, I don't think he's ready to become a permanent part of our defense, he hasn't any Prem or international experience.

McShane - Compared to O'Brien on current form - there's no comparison. McShane's playing reserve football, O'Brien's doing well at Bolton. Would you pick McShane ahead of O'Brien now? I think that would just be a repeat of the Cyprus debacle... with the roles reversed.

Patrick McCarthy - 24 - Like St. Ledger, decent prospect. Not as good or as experienced as O'Brien though.

Gary Doherty - Although he does ok at Championship lever, I don't think hes quite up to being an international CB.

John O'Shea - gets very limited game time as a CB. On top of that, his performances leave a lot to be desired. I trust him less as a defender than O'Brien.

Prove to me that any of these (or any other Irish defender) is a better option than O'Brien. Then, I might consider your ridiculous opinions.
To prove this they have to be given a chance. Also read my original post again. I stated that if we are relying on the likes of A O'Brien to qualify for the WC then we really are in trouble from the offset. I clearly stated that one of the younger lads must come through over the next few months and prove themselves to be a viable option in central defence. If we had a qualifier tomorrow I might treat your post a bit more seriously but since we've about 6 months before the group kicks off (did you miss this small point?) I'll dismiss it as the utter garbage it is. Also note that whenever O'Brien has played with Dunne he's been generally poor and since Cunningham has long since retired, I dunno, maybe this is quite an important point?

You were the one who stated as fact that Andy O'Brien has been in great form for us. I stated my opinion that this was utter rose tinted spectacled garbage (which it is) and at best he was average for us whilst at worst diabolical. I like the way you plucked a single result in France out of the hat there for us to back up your claims. Remind me again at that stage of the campaign who had France actually beaten in the group? I also don't remember him being particularly brilliant in Paris for us. From my recollection Dunne was far better in Dublin even if we were beaten. By the looks of things you probably didn't even watch either match and are just using the results to push home your point.

RivaldoBabb
14/04/2008, 1:33 PM
I dont really think it matters who of O'Brien, O'Shea, O'Dea, McShane or St Ledger plays alongside Dunne for the qualifiers, they are all pretty average at best and we have a real lack of quality there. If anything was to happen to Dunne we could just about forget about qualification.

It sounds though that Finann might have a rethink, which I also feel is essential if we are to do anything in the group. At least with Dunne and Finann at the back we would have 2 great defenders that would hopefully cover for the donkeys around them.

CvilleRovers
14/04/2008, 1:39 PM
Is O'Dea even getting in the match day squad for Celtic??

I liked the look of him against Milan last season but if he's not getting near the starting 11 for Celtic how can you expect him to play for Ireland?

hes currently injured at the moment hernia problem i think is keeping him out.hopefully with a new manager next season they will realise hes our best defender and heill be a regular starter, if not heill move on and prove himself with someone else

i agree, but i think he should be starting for both