PDA

View Full Version : FTP help

stann
09/04/2008, 4:28 PM
Having severe trouble trying to set up an FTP program (WinSCP) and could do with a bit of help identifying the problem. Am almost computer illerate too which doesn't help matters. :)

It seems to be failing right at the end. I have the session set up as directed, and when I log on it connects OK, the session starts, it reads the remote directory, but fails when retrieving the directory listing.

The following pops up:
Timeout detected (I've set the timeout to as much as 100 seconds but still get this)
Could not retrieve directory listing
PORT command successful
Error listing directory '/blahblah.ie'.

As far as I can see the remote directory name is correct, and when I change it to an incorrect name it tells me straightaway on logging in.

I had it working before on XP, though I had to make a slight change to the information I was given to get it to work the last time but can't remember what it was (was arsing about changing things for an hour :D ). I've now got a new machine running Vista. Plus I think this is a newer beta version of WinSCP.
I can't check back because my old machine is f*cked!

GavinZac
09/04/2008, 10:28 PM
Are you trying to connect to a web host? It sounds like you haven't got the right details. The web host should walk you through it; believe me, you're paying for that service.

Never heard of WinSCP - usually use gFTP in linux or SmartFTP in windows.

theworm2345
10/04/2008, 6:02 AM
CoffeeCup is the way to go, wonderful program, and its free

Eire06
10/04/2008, 8:56 AM
If you are using SFTP
Try this
in the WinScp login window, select SFTP from the left menu.
Change the Preferred SFTP protocol version to 3. It is automatically set to 5.
Save your setting changes

tetsujin1979
10/04/2008, 9:47 AM
WinSCP is a bit lightweight for my liking, I prefer FileZilla, tends to handle failures a bit better
Are you connecting to a web host, or another machine on a local network?
Can you ping the FTP server from your own machine successfully?
Is there a firewall running on your machine, or the host? If you can, disable them both - just to confirm the problem isn't with the firewall
Are you trying to connect into a directory, or just into the root of the server? I usually just connect to the root (less hassle) and then cd into whatever directory I'm looking for

stann
10/04/2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the help lads, but it's sorted itself out.
I got a different FTP client (CoreFTP, another freeware one!) and the same settings worked a charm on that, so it must be a problem with WinSCP, as I say it's a beta version which I don't think the last one was.
I only need it to change and upload about 4 files a week to a web host, so WInSCP suited me to use, kind of reminded me of the old pre-WWW days. :) For that reason I'd be still interested to know what the problem was. But anyway...
(Also, should have said it's just bog-standard FTP I'm using, the remote host doesn't seem to use SFTP.)