PDA

View Full Version : Amy Winehouse

Pages : [1] 2

Pike B
09/04/2008, 12:24 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't give a crap, about what this girl does in her spare time, or what she wears, or what she said about this and that, as long as she keeps making incredible music.... Why should anything else matter???:rolleyes:

Block G Raptor
09/04/2008, 1:02 PM
Maybe if she starts making incredible music nothing else will matter

Wolfie
09/04/2008, 1:05 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't give a crap, about what this girl does in her spare time, or what she wears, or what she said about this and that, as long as she keeps making incredible music.... Why should anything else matter???:rolleyes:

Maybe this should be merged with the Pete Doherty thread and renamed "Overrated, press created and inebriated"

Dr. Ogba
09/04/2008, 1:14 PM

yes she does sound incredibly manly when she sings in that irritating voice of hers....

Honestly, it is amazing how many people fall for the British media's hype machine - Amy Winehouse and Pete Doherty being the latest in the long line of overrated and overhyped musicians over the pond....

GavinZac
09/04/2008, 1:16 PM
Regardless of her idiotic behaviour she does have a great talent in her singing.

jebus
09/04/2008, 1:32 PM
Regardless of her idiotic behaviour she does have a great talent in her singing.

Agree with that, regardless of media hype and her heroin addiction she has talent and can't be dismissed as someone built on the back of the likes of the NME and the Sun.

Maz
09/04/2008, 1:50 PM
I personally think she is a fantastic singer, such a powerful voice with little effort. Fantastic

Dr. Ogba
09/04/2008, 1:55 PM
Agree with that, regardless of media hype and her heroin addiction she has talent and can't be dismissed as someone built on the back of the likes of the NME and the Sun.

well i'm sure it was probably the like of the NME that was hyping her up in the first place...

Pike B
09/04/2008, 2:27 PM
She is gifted lads. Amazing vocal and lyrics aswell. She is incredible in my opinion, but the media stuff that comes with her is a real shame. My point is, I don't read or listen to any of that crap, I buy her records and let them make my mind up. And my mind says she's class. Forget about the media....
And as for her personal habits.... it's a free world..

Pike B
09/04/2008, 2:28 PM
(Wolfie's comments) Overrated, Press Created, Inebriated.......
Harsh bud, very harsh. Pete Doherty.. I couldn't name one song by the guy. Or tell you of an award he's won. But Amy, listen to her stuff man. It's amazing. And 5 grammies don't lie..

Wolfie
10/04/2008, 7:49 AM
(Wolfie's comments) Overrated, Press Created, Inebriated.......
Harsh bud, very harsh. Pete Doherty.. I couldn't name one song by the guy. Or tell you of an award he's won. But Amy, listen to her stuff man. It's amazing. And 5 grammies don't lie..

I was a bit dismissive, fair enough. The woman is just over exposed in the press for the wrong reasons.

A Grammy can lie though - Alanis Morrisette has a few!!

Dr. Ogba
10/04/2008, 7:59 AM
And 5 grammies don't lie..

ok I couldn't be arsed checking but I'm sure there's some absolute drivel that have won a grammy or 2 in the past, i'm afraid those awards mean sh!te all...

Pike B
10/04/2008, 8:52 AM
ok I couldn't be arsed checking but I'm sure there's some absolute drivel that have won a grammy or 2 in the past, i'm afraid those awards mean sh!te all...
Well it sounds good anyway... Like: 'multi grammy winner Amy Winehouse', rather than, 'Smackhead Amy Winehouse'.... It's all about the music man.. Screw what she does in private. Keith Richards, junkie, lunatic, pirate but he's a legend.. I'm just saying Amy can be too.

Dr. Ogba
10/04/2008, 10:12 AM
Well it sounds good anyway... Like: 'multi grammy winner Amy Winehouse', rather than, 'Smackhead Amy Winehouse'.... It's all about the music man.. Screw what she does in private. Keith Richards, junkie, lunatic, pirate but he's a legend.. I'm just saying Amy can be too.

in a way I agree with you. I couldn't care less about her personal life, it is all about the music. Its just that I think her music is average at best...

noby
10/04/2008, 10:22 AM
Her first album was average, at best. Her second was good. She still has a long way to go to become a great, but she does have a great voice and good potential. Unfortunately she also has the potential to slip back to just another singer on the jazz/soul/r&b circuit, music-wise.

drinkfeckarse
10/04/2008, 10:24 AM
A Grammy can lie though - Alanis Morrisette has a few!!

To be fair Jagged Little Pill was a great album and would be on a lot of Top 100 lists. It was only after that, that she went up her own arse!

I haven't got Amy's album but every song I've heard off it is very distinctive. Can easily see it being branded a classic for years to come, even more so if something unfortunate happens to her.

Pike B
10/04/2008, 10:31 AM
Her first album was average, at best. Her second was good. She still has a long way to go to become a great, but she does have a great voice and good potential. Unfortunately she also has the potential to slip back to just another singer on the jazz/soul/r&b circuit, music-wise.
I have to say I would go up a notch on both your estimates there.. First album for me very good, second excellent. And to be honest I can't see her fading. She has that extra something that will see her become an all time great in my opinion. Her lyrics are creative, soulful, at times dark, but always original and her voice is very distinctive. Instantly recognisable. Can't say that about too many solo artists today. Male or female. And in a strange little coincidence, I first discovered her for myself whilst on holiday in Waterford!!!! Happy days...... :D

Pike B
10/04/2008, 10:32 AM
To be fair Jagged Little Pill was a great album and would be on a lot of Top 100 lists. It was only after that, that she went up her own arse!

I haven't got Amy's album but every song I've heard off it is very distinctive. Can easily see it being branded a classic for years to come, even more so if something unfortunate happens to her.
Never been much into Alanis, but a few of her singles from that album were excellent..

noby
10/04/2008, 10:43 AM
I agree with you about her lyrics and voice, but the last album is out, what, two or three years now and has been peddled to death.
Time to try and follow it up now. I wonder will she go the 'critically acclaimed/change of musical direction' route, or the 'tried and trusted/more of the same' one?

Pike B
10/04/2008, 10:49 AM
I agree with you about her lyrics and voice, but the last album is out, what, two or three years now and has been peddled to death.
Time to try and follow it up now. I wonder will she go the 'critically acclaimed/change of musical direction' route, or the 'tried and trusted/more of the same' one?
She's in studio at the moment. Rumour has it that it's pretty dark stuff. A lot of the media crap is getting to her, and I guess we're going to hear about it in the album. But yes, I agree, Back To Black is out awhile. Time for album 3 now..

noby
10/04/2008, 10:56 AM
Rumour has it that it's pretty dark stuff.

Aah. She's gone for option A, so. Good; should be more interesting.

Pike B
10/04/2008, 11:41 AM
Aah. She's gone for option A, so. Good; should be more interesting.
Do you own an Amy Winehouse album?

noby
10/04/2008, 11:46 AM
I have the second one knocking around somewhere. I don't get much of an urge to play it when it's hard to go a week without hearing one of the singles.

I meant 'more interesting' compared to sticking to the winning formula route, by the way.

Pike B
10/04/2008, 11:51 AM
I have the second one knocking around somewhere. I don't get much of an urge to play it when it's hard to go a week without hearing one of the singles.

I meant 'more interesting' compared to sticking to the winning formula route, by the way.
I don't listen to the radio man. Maybe that's your problem there. If you listen to anything too much, it gets annoying.

Pike B
02/05/2008, 6:51 PM
When I walk in your shoes
I understand a man confused
There much too big but I don't care
I feel the way your soul does there
Darling now, I empathise
Looking through your bloodshot eyes
And I know you you're so frustrated
Above all we become what we once hated

This girl is good.

Lionel Ritchie
18/05/2008, 8:20 AM
...anyone else watching the Fast Show on C6 on Friday evening? (still unmatched comedic writing and performance 11 years on btw)

...anyone notice a 13 or 14 year old Miss Winehouse as the nymphette in the school play/competetive dad scene?

She was very pretty back then. :eek:

:D

Pike B
19/05/2008, 8:41 AM
...anyone else watching the Fast Show on C6 on Friday evening? (still unmatched comedic writing and performance 11 years on btw)

...anyone notice a 13 or 14 year old Miss Winehouse as the nymphette in the school play/competetive dad scene?

She was very pretty back then. :eek:

Amy was hot until about a year ago when the weight came off. If you get chance google her and see images from around 2003 2004. She was fine.

passinginterest
19/05/2008, 8:48 AM
Have ye seen the youtube video with her, Pete Doherty and some baby mice? Seriously weird stuff (did hear that it might be fake, looks and sounds pretty real though).

Pike B
19/05/2008, 8:52 AM
Have ye seen the youtube video with her, Pete Doherty and some baby mice? Seriously weird stuff (did hear that it might be fake, looks and sounds pretty real though).
Not seen it no. Sounds like I don't want to either!!

gustavo
19/05/2008, 9:58 AM
Amy was hot until about a year ago when the weight came off. If you get chance google her and see images from around 2003 2004. She was fine.

Yeah I remember around then when the first album came out she was fine looking , Where did it all go wrong!

Lionel Ritchie
19/05/2008, 12:13 PM

Nah... it might be just the whole, how shall I put it, "gypo-chique" and facial piercings that simply aren't my thing.

I'm not into her stuff either I must admit though ...one decent song and one dodgy cover of an already dodgy song.

pete
19/05/2008, 1:13 PM
She is an ugly woman. Half body tattoos does nothing for me. :(

Youtube clip even if it is a wind up is bizarre & sickening.

Pike B
20/05/2008, 8:53 AM
Nice........

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/Saltlick/Sub3/AmyWinehouse01.jpg
She looks good man...........

noby
21/05/2008, 10:42 AM
Y'know, there is a Totty Watch thread already.

Pike B
22/05/2008, 1:43 PM
Ah Ruben my man, I am a big fan of Amy's but methinks you may have a problem!!

bellavistaman
22/05/2008, 10:34 PM
Total skanger. Grossly underwieght at times. Fantastic music though

A face
22/05/2008, 11:23 PM
Total skanger. Grossly underwieght at times. Fantastic music though

She's not dealing with it very well, its a shame. A bit of sound guidance and common sense and she could be content.

Sligo Hornet
23/05/2008, 6:41 AM
Y'know, there is a Totty Watch thread already.

Yeah, but she should only ever appear in Grotty Watch!...Jesus Ruben, you are one seriously ill man!;)

Pauro 76
23/05/2008, 6:46 AM
Anyone think she sounds like Janice from Friends singing? Ruben I do agree, she was hot a few years ago. Skanky now, there was this picture recently of her running in the sunshine, she looked like a jogging skeleton, not attractive. I still think she should do the Bond theme, not Duffy or Adele or any of those pale imitations of her.

tetsujin1979
27/05/2008, 8:52 PM
Looks more like your date Ruben Sosa!

jebus
27/05/2008, 8:54 PM
Looks more like your date Ruben Sosa!

:D:D

quote his pic in your reply tets so I can nominate you for PotM and people will understand what its about

jebus
27/05/2008, 9:23 PM
Again confused..........

Masturbation Ruben, the answer is masturbation

Wangball
29/05/2008, 4:42 PM
She's not dealing with it very well, its a shame. A bit of sound guidance and common sense and she could be content.

I personally find her substance dependence and mental frailty quite attractive, just think what she'd do for a needle full of drugs?! Thats the kind of weakness I like to see in a girl, one that can be manipulated to my own gain/advantage

I could be the Colonel Parker to her bloated drug addled Elvis, except I'd be f*****g her physically as well as mentally

You could control her with a fistful of crack, she'd be like a lifesize tamagotchi, give her a hit she'd be all shiny and happy, with hold it and she'd be cranky, stop feeding her and she'd eventually die....I'd be like a god

Wangball
29/05/2008, 7:03 PM
Quite possibly

Wangball
30/05/2008, 11:14 AM
But as your the only person not to cast her aside like an ugly piece of meat, I salute you. You have taste. Even if it's slightly disturbing and crazed, it's still taste.

More a keen sense of opportunism than taste to be fair

Wangball
30/05/2008, 4:00 PM
She reminds me of a flower too, an Afghan opium poppy

Pike B
04/06/2008, 8:55 AM
As a big Bond fan, I hope that's true, but I can't see the studio's touching her at the moment.

strangeirish
04/06/2008, 1:39 PM
Hello cuteness...

Man, we're going to put a shock collar on you. Every time you go near a picture of Winehouse, you're getting zapped!

jebus
04/06/2008, 1:48 PM
I'd go through it for my Amy.. Haven't you ever felt that about a girl??

A real girl yes

strangeirish
04/06/2008, 1:50 PM
I'd go through it for my Amy.. Haven't you ever felt that about a girl??
Yeah, but there was no need for pain and she didn't need a saddle and bridle to be ridden!:D

(Based on the fact that I didn't call her one of my ex's names, or saddle and bridle would have been required):D