PDA

View Full Version : eL Player capped for North?

Tenderloins
09/04/2008, 11:10 AM
Has anyone been capped by The North whilst playing for an Eircom League team other than Derry?

I know that up until the 50s there were probably a good few as players were often picked by both National teams.so they dont count!

There would be a few under 21s like Chris Turner(Bohs) or Hugh Davey (UCD?)

harps1954
09/04/2008, 11:41 AM
Tony O'Doherty and Ray Gaston of Harps during the 70's both spring to mind. I'm sure there was one or two others as well.

harps1954
09/04/2008, 11:42 AM
Also, Darren Meenan (now with Monaghan United) played for the North's under-21's when he was with Harps.

seand
09/04/2008, 12:03 PM
Amazingly I don't think it's ever happened, a LoI player being capped for the North. From what info I can find it seems that all the players who played for both NI and RoI were capped for NI only when playing across the water or for Irish League clubs.

Bohs, Shels and Derry would have supplied players to the IFA international side when they were in the Irish League, but not since. (Have Derry had anyone capped at full international level for the North since joined the LoI?)

O’Doherty was capped only while at Coleraine, Gaston at Oxford, neither were capped while at Harps.

This does seem to suggest a certain anti-Dublin bias, e.g. Tommy Eglinton and Peter Farrell were capped by the FAI while at Rovers and Everton, then capped by the IFA only after moving to Everton.... the legendary Paddy Moore was capped once by the IFA- during his brief stay at Aberdeen!

Dazzy
09/04/2008, 12:12 PM
Have Derry had anyone capped at full international level for the North since joined the LoI?

Liam Coyle

Finlay Harp
09/04/2008, 12:12 PM
I know Felix Healy was but I am not sure whether he was with Derry or Coleraine.

Shedender81
09/04/2008, 12:23 PM
Not sure about the last few years... but going back to 40s/50s players could play for both Norn Iron and us so a few players played for both... Would need to check if any where playing in the LOI...

Example is Con Martin (played v England in 48 Ahh what a day) also played for Norn Iron... also played Cricket for Ireland

Man I am bored in work to be writing the above

pineapple stu
09/04/2008, 12:25 PM
Example is Con Martin (played v England in 48 Ahh what a day) also played for Norn Iron... also played Cricket for Ireland
Assume you mean '49?

There would be a few under 21s like Chris Turner(Bohs) or Hugh Davey (UCD?)
Hugh Davey got as far as U-23s while with us.

Dodge
09/04/2008, 12:36 PM
I know Felix Healy was but I am not sure whether he was with Derry or Coleraine.

When Felix was winning international caps, Derry weren't in any league...

Krstic
09/04/2008, 12:38 PM
Felix Healy wasn't capped whilst at Derry, the only player capped at full International level when playing with Derry since 1985 was Liam Coyle.

Although i would expect that to change if someone from the IFA get's a new Sat Nav and finds the Brandywell in order to see Paddy McCourt.

seand
09/04/2008, 1:04 PM
Liam Coyle, 1 sub appearance against Chile!

Fantastic NI football website here

http://nifootball.blogspot.com/2006/10/dual-internationalists.html

dublinred
09/04/2008, 1:10 PM
Would chance a guess at Alan Patterson or Felix Healy whist playing with Sligo Rovers.

Redie
09/04/2008, 3:45 PM
Billy Hamilton played a few games for us (Sligo Rovers) not too long after he played in the World Cup but he might have been retired from international football by then.

Tenderloins
09/04/2008, 3:56 PM
I'd presume too that there are no cases of players capped for the Republic whilst playing in the North?

Redie
09/04/2008, 4:21 PM
Actually Sligoman Sean Fallon represented both Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland and he played for both Sligo Rovers and a team from Northern Ireland before he joined Celtic - we are talking about the 1950's here I think.

seand
09/04/2008, 4:22 PM
I'd presume too that there are no cases of players capped for the Republic whilst playing in the North?

There was certainly a few Belfast Celtic players in the 40s, Con Martin was capped at Glentoran.

gspain
09/04/2008, 4:51 PM
Actually Sligoman Sean Fallon represented both Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland and he played for both Sligo Rovers and a team from Northern Ireland before he joined Celtic - we are talking about the 1950's here I think.

Sean Fallon received 8 caps for the Republic 1950-1955 all while at Celtic. He never played for Northern Ireland.

He did refuse to play for NI v the British Army in 1950 at the time of the dispute which resulted in the IFA being banned from picking southern born players. No caps were awarded for those Army games however it is fair to say that he probably would have got capped for them if he wanted to.

The last ever official All Ireland team was v Wales in 1950.

gspain
09/04/2008, 5:05 PM
The RoI team that played Spain in Madrid on June 23rd `1946 had 4 Irish League playes - Con Martin Glentoran, Bud Aherne Billy McMillan and Jackie Vernon from Belfast Celtic. Davy Walsh had only just left Linfield for West Brom as well but was technically a west brom player then. 2 Shamrock Rovers and 1 Cork united player in the side too. We won 1-0 as well.

Dodge
09/04/2008, 9:08 PM

About 12-15 years ago Martin Russell played in the Ireland B team whilst with Portadown

soccerc
09/04/2008, 9:42 PM
Paddy Mc Court when at Rovers played for NI U21's against the ROI in Lurgan

Redie
10/04/2008, 9:44 AM
Originally Posted by gspain
Sean Fallon received 8 caps for the Republic 1950-1955 all while at Celtic. He never played for Northern Ireland

No doubt your correct there gspain. I think he might have played a few times for the Northern Ireland League which I know is not the same as an International Cap.

harps1954
10/04/2008, 11:03 AM
Paddy Mc Court when at Rovers played for NI U21's against the ROI in Lurgan

And I think Henry McStay of Portadown played for Ireland against NI in the same game.

Magicme
10/04/2008, 12:10 PM
Also, Darren Meenan (now with Monaghan United) played for the North's under-21's when he was with Harps.

He was playing for the U21s there a few weeks ago. See my notes for an interview with him about it on the Mons thread.

EalingGreen
10/04/2008, 12:52 PM
Billy Hamilton played a few games for us (Sligo Rovers) not too long after he played in the World Cup but he might have been retired from international football by then.

Hamilton was with Oxford (where he formed a great partnership with John Aldridge, btw) when he got his final NI cap in 1986. Serious injury struck soon after, so he actually went to Limerick, then Coleraine, before joining Sligo, finally finishing his playing career with Distillery.

http://nifootball.blogspot.com/2006/12/billy-hamilton.html

P.S. Note the way I resisted the opportunity to describe signing for Sligo R as reiring from "football", not just "international football" ;)

dublinred
10/04/2008, 1:32 PM
Hamilton was with Oxford (where he formed a great partnership with John Aldridge, btw) when he got his final NI cap in 1986. Serious injury struck soon after, so he actually went to Limerick, then Coleraine, before joining Sligo, finally finishing his playing career with Distillery.

P.S. Note the way I resisted the opportunity to describe signing for Sligo R as reiring from "football", not just "international football" ;)

Almost correct but for some bizarre reason he ws managing Distillery while he was playing for us.

gspain
10/04/2008, 2:06 PM

He was player manager at Limerick from 86-89 and did a great job. Still fondly remembered and still a great player then. I wonder whatever happened to the runner up for the manager's in 1986 job another former NI Intenrational - Martin O'Neill.

Brian Mc
10/04/2008, 10:37 PM
Alan Paterson was reserve goalkeeper for Northern Ireland in 1978 at Lansdowne Road in the European Championship when playing for Sligo.