PDA

View Full Version : Distracted at work

padjoe
09/04/2008, 4:40 AM
lads and ladies can someone please help me stop getting distracted at work? i have developed a real bad case of ADD in the past week. every five minutes i'm checking the net, making tea or fiddling with something other than my work....some one help me or give me tips to focus

osarusan
09/04/2008, 7:34 AM
stop playing "six degrees of wikipedia!!"

Block G Raptor
09/04/2008, 10:13 AM
lads and ladies can someone please help me stop getting distracted at work? i have developed a real bad case of ADD in the past week. every five minutes i'm checking the net, making tea or fiddling with something other than my work....some one help me or give me tips to focus

Find a new Job, your obviously bored with your current one

paul_oshea
09/04/2008, 10:43 AM

You know I was going to post this exact same question/problem, I have had 3 different jobs in the last 4 years, and I enjoy what I do, but I just cant work to deadlines unless they are the exact same day and stuff i just dos and mess about. Its getting very bad now though to be honest - I should be getting better reviews but because I am just trodding along I amn't. Its frustrating cos I can do the work but I just cant focus myself to do it in time and leave it until the last minute ( just like school, homework, college, studying etc ). I really have a bad case of it, I think its partly cos I have good craic at the weekend and on sundays that I think fcuk it cant wait again for the weekend and just "get through" work. I did notice this monday though, having not gone out on the sunday I was more focused on actually working than normal - so I'm thinking drinking may have a part to play in this :)

Sligo Hornet
09/04/2008, 11:44 AM

Rest assured if you were working for me, you wouldn't be suffering for long!!;)

placid casual
09/04/2008, 11:47 AM
Rest assured if you were working for me, you wouldn't be suffering for long!!;)

yeah,those ditches dont dig themselves do they SH !

pete
09/04/2008, 12:40 PM

Want to swap jobs?

I think everyone gets like that from time to time but if it lasted more than 1 week I would go nuts.

thischarmingman
09/04/2008, 12:45 PM
I just cant work to deadlines unless they are the exact same day and stuff i just dos and mess about.:)

Tell me about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_syndrome

gaiscĂ­och
09/04/2008, 12:56 PM
Brian Kerr? talked to me for a while bout football and diets and that crap didn't work out too well...
Mick Mc Carthy? Walkd past as I clean the bogs in the Airport
John Travolta? Walked past as I hoovered the place where he gets a lift to his plane.
Brian Lohan:D? Giant of a man.:D

Bluebeard
09/04/2008, 1:29 PM
Brian Kerr? talked to me for a while bout football and diets and that crap didn't work out too well...
Mick Mc Carthy? Walkd past as I clean the bogs in the Airport
John Travolta? Walked past as I hoovered the place where he gets a lift to his plane.
Brian Lohan:D? Giant of a man.:D

This thread is about being distracted while at work, not distracted while online, Axe Man - try three threads higher:D

paul_oshea
09/04/2008, 2:02 PM
This thread is about being distracted while at work, not distracted while online, Axe Man - try three threads higher:D

Its kinda ironic though, if ye think about it.

Charmingman: its a case of me thinking something will ALWAYS take a shorter time than it actually does, I dont know whether this is laziness on my part to correctly estimate it, or not actually knowing how long something takes or just bad time-management skills but i would go with the middle one moreso, I cant work out at all how long it takes but think it will be grand and i should get it done in a certain amount of time ( cos i know how to do it it wont take me long as oppossed to well actually i dont know how to do it so i better figure it out now and then i can leave till the last minute ) and therefore NEVER properly complete tasks, i get to 90% and then cant get myself to finish them, its very frustrating.

kingdom hoop
09/04/2008, 3:37 PM
i get to 90% and then cant get myself to finish them, its very frustrating.

Get a girlfriend maybe? :confused:

Wangball
09/04/2008, 3:56 PM
A girlfriend or a Dolmio Jar filled to the brim with lean mince and a raw egg....The FcukJar is never gonna leave you for your brother

Block G Raptor
09/04/2008, 3:58 PM
A girlfriend or a Dolmio Jar filled to the brim with lean mince and a raw egg....The FcukJar is never gonna leave you for your brother

Prefer Raw Liver gently heated to about 35 degrees on a radiator myself ;)

paul_oshea
09/04/2008, 3:58 PM

Ive had one of them for a while now too ;) :D

Bluebeard
09/04/2008, 4:01 PM

Get a girlfriend who gets annoyed by you not finishing work, and will then take matters into her own hands(;)) and finish what you started herself - now that idea should be worth a major international prize, and probably three days less work a year!

Unless, of course, in knowing that you will only ever do 90% of the work you have to do, knowing that she would complete the remaining 10%, you follow proportionately the logic that you will only get to 10% of what needs to be done, and start getting to 81% of your tasks before quitting.

This leads to this scarey notion: if you are able to find the woman who will continously make up your shortfall, and you work in an arithmetic manner (I think - someone with maths tell me what I am talking about), eventually it may get to a stage where she has to do all 100% of your work, at which point you will have to make the job harder by 10%. If we follow this to its logical apex, this spiral will eventually end up with you having to seriously dick about with the fabric of time and existence, in order to quit what you are at 10% ahead of what you actually need to do.

That would be bad.

Alternatively, send your work my way, as I don't really have anything to do this afternoon, though I don't think anyone has realised yet...

kingdom hoop
09/04/2008, 4:10 PM
Literally ROFL there for ten seconds. :D:D

Green Tribe
15/04/2008, 7:57 PM
Indeed Bluebeard, you're never off facebook, get back to work ya lazy git :D

Magicme
15/04/2008, 8:21 PM
Oh my god Bluebeard, I have tears running down my cheeks! And I didnt even understand the maths bits!

As for the dolmio jar idea....ugh!!! Check out Ann Summers where u can buy a kit to clone an item which will be much better boys. Feel sick now!

pete
28/05/2008, 2:21 PM

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7416780.stm)

Adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder do 22 fewer days of work per year than people who do not have the condition, a study says.

The research, which looked at 7,000 workers in 10 countries, found an average of 3.5% had ADHD.

Wangball
29/05/2008, 7:20 AM
Prefer Raw Liver gently heated to about 35 degrees on a radiator myself ;)

That would be too messy, you may as well take a crack at a bucker of vomit

Billsthoughts
03/06/2008, 11:25 AM
Write down the definite tasks ya have to do every day and do them in the morning.
then in the afternnon do all the query lark that could take anything form 5mins to 5 hours.
Make sure ya stick to whatever plan ya do up. you will find ya get thru a bit more work.

pete
05/06/2008, 12:18 AM
In my experience assigning work I find some people are poor at prioritising tasks.

I list all my tasks & prioritise them as some need to be done today & others sometime in the future. I then start from the top. Without a list I don't see how any one can function.