PDA

View Full Version : Amusing on-field moments.

parnell ranger
18/07/2003, 7:57 AM
I bet lots of you have had a chuckle at some of the goings on at games.
My fav would be Athlone keeper Mick o Brien pulling down the crossbar in a vain attempt to have the game abandoned in an fai cup semi final.
Went home n it was on the bbc 1 news .
Once saw the drogheda keeper leave his goal n chase a heckler around st mels in a L.O.I. B game.
Will never forget the look of bewilderment on the referees face.:D

patsh
18/07/2003, 8:50 AM
A good few years ago, Hibs were paying Limerick, I think, and winning by 3 goals. Wiggy was put through on the keeper, who came well off his line, but Wiggy dribbled past him, stopped the ball just before it crossed the line, got down on his hands and knees and headed the ball into the net!
Class!

michaelguineys
18/07/2003, 2:19 PM
A great off the pitch moment was at the Cork City v Longford game when the whole Shed started singin " Sit down for John O'Flynn" and every one of em sat down on their arses!! They did it aswell a few years ago. Brilliant

tiktok
18/07/2003, 8:56 PM
most shed heads will remember this .....

Alan Gough was warming up at half time saving shots in front of the shed when the lad shooting knocked the ball into the fans, who refused to give it back.

Goughie hops the wall and heads into the middle of the shed, there's stunned silence for a few seconds and the next thing a pair of goalie gloves appear above the crowd as Goughie jumps up and down chanting. He spends the rest of half time in the shed having the laugh and heads back to the bench when the teams came back out.

a nutter and a legend, always my favourite opposition keeper although stephen o'brien is a close second.

by the way, the look on mooney's face as he ran to the shed end for the second half was priceless, all of us chanting

'goughie for city':D

...there was also the day derek coughlan had to get down prostrate to lure a dog who had run on the field, carry him off and hand him to a steward, who promptly dropped the dog and let him back onto the field.:rolleyes:

atfconline
18/07/2003, 11:11 PM
My own favourite was a few years ago in Mel's, against Monaghan I think.

Athlone got a free in our left-back's position, but before he was allowed take it, the ref had to go to the halfway line to fix his whistle or watch or something.

Everyone else had pushed up field so there was only Keith O'Brien and the goalie left in our half. All of a sudden, O'Brien just picks up the ball and strolls twenty yards up the pitch.

The ref is still busy at the halfway line, so with a big smiley head on him, O'Brien picks the ball up again and walks on further, before putting it down on the halfway line.

Eventually the ref hears all the roars of laughter coming from the stand and turns around, sees O'Brien now standing beside him, and tells him to put it back where it was.

Cityace
19/07/2003, 12:21 PM
Once after city scored a goal, some corner boy jumped onto the pitch and did a little dance around the corner flag. the whole shed end of the cross was laughing.Inthe same match, a lawman came over and stood next to them to try and quieten them.They just got worse and covered the poor b*st*rd in confetti!!

Bosco
19/07/2003, 11:11 PM
At the play-off in ballybofey 2 seasons ago.Digger(stephen o'brien) came down to the goals early before the penalties and started waving to the crowd, one of the harps fans threw a roll of toilet paper at him so he picked it up and started doing solos with it.

And in the league cup against athlone this year when vinnie perth was being substituted the athlone fans in the stand went mad shouting abuse at him, so he gave them the fingers behind his back, which sent the fans mad

max power
20/07/2003, 1:57 AM
i was at the goal end when diger did that, they also threw coins at him, which was something he laughed at, digger is a legend, he almost ran over me in celbridge when de town were training, i was wearing my jersey walking up to the changing rooms and he came stright for me and just swurved at the last mo, he thought it was very funny, so did i after i put on clean underwear !!!!!

PS vinny is a god and should be in midfield for ireland !!!!!

joeSoap
22/07/2003, 12:15 PM
An infamous junior referee in Limerick is responsible for the funniest moment I ever saw at a game. It was between two bitter rivals in a local derby. There were brothers playing on opposite sides and let's just say one was really getting the better of the other. He was by the corner flag, late in the game holding it up, when, out of nowhere, the brother arrives, and takes him out just above the knees....Really nasty. Anyhow, the ref in question runs the 40 yards or so over to the incident, and starts to brandish the red card. Whe he gets there, out comes the card and he sticks it right in yer mans face....only for it to be the three of clubs!!!! Apparently he lost his cards, and bought a deck with a red back on them to use. It was priceless, and the entire 22 players, managers, subs, and crowd were in tears laughing. It diffused a potential riot, and boy was it funny.

Neil
22/07/2003, 5:19 PM
The best ever was the 98 Cup final...

that whinger Fenlon goes down under a challenge Flanagan...

he's on ground holding his leg looking to get someone booked...

Patsy, in making his way back from an attcking position, sees what he's up to... so as he's passing he trods on Fenlons head (not too heavily though)!

Absolute magic from Freyne!