PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Fm

roversforever
08/04/2008, 6:37 AM
Im surprised it hasn't been brought up before but i just wanted to point out ocean's lack of rovers coverage this season. They don't seem to be doing any live commentaries this year and the updates are desperate since keith o' dwyer left. I know most of ye probably haven't heard them because ye will have been at the games but i was late for the game last weekend so i heard the first report. It was an absolute joke....the lad reporting was a stuttering mess. It was like he hadn't planned what he was going to say before he came on air and he was struggling to put sentences together!i actually thought the report would never end!It was the most drawn out report i've ever heard and that's not too good bearing in mind that he was reporting on a game that had just has two early goals. His pronunciation of names was dodgy and he made a mess of naming the team,he named coleman at left back. Anyway rant over but i am disappointed that they seem to have stopped the live commentaries...the club could do with the exposure.

showgies
08/04/2008, 8:35 AM
Im surprised it hasn't been brought up before but i just wanted to point out ocean's lack of rovers coverage this season. They don't seem to be doing any live commentaries this year and the updates are desperate since keith o' dwyer left. I know most of ye probably haven't heard them because ye will have been at the games but i was late for the game last weekend so i heard the first report. It was an absolute joke....the lad reporting was a stuttering mess. It was like he hadn't planned what he was going to say before he came on air and he was struggling to put sentences together!i actually thought the report would never end!It was the most drawn out report i've ever heard and that's not too good bearing in mind that he was reporting on a game that had just has two early goals. His pronunciation of names was dodgy and he made a mess of naming the team,he named coleman at left back. Anyway rant over but i am disappointed that they seem to have stopped the live commentaries...the club could do with the exposure.

Most of the reporting on Ocean FM is amateur at best. Even the news reports sound as if they are being carried out by guys on work experience. Mis-pronunciation seems to be a required qualification.

sligoman
08/04/2008, 1:06 PM
Are they only doing updates for home games this season?:eek:

Redie
08/04/2008, 2:46 PM
'Sports Coverage' in general on Ocean FM is an absolute joke but in particular for Rovers - I gave up on it long ago, you will get better up-dates from RTE Radio on Firiday nights and some saturday nights.

nijboyle
08/04/2008, 4:47 PM
Thats a bit harsh

Shiba
08/04/2008, 6:25 PM
'Sports Coverage' in general on Ocean FM is an absolute joke but in particular for Rovers - I gave up on it long ago, you will get better up-dates from RTE Radio on Firiday nights and some saturday nights.

I think ye are been a bit Harsh.Hav'nt heard match commetary but Gerry Farry always plugs Rovers and the radio station has always given rovers good airtime.

Red&White Rover
08/04/2008, 8:57 PM
Yeah I think ye're being OTT a wee bit.

Redie
09/04/2008, 10:46 AM
OK, maybe I am doing them a bit of an injustice - their coverage is as bad for all sports as it is for the Rovers.

Have ye ever tuned into what is laughingly call the 'Sunday Sports Show' - it is all music!
They even played a few records during the half-time break of the Sligo Gaelic match a couple of weeks back.

The yardstick here is their predecessor Northwest Radio. They used to provide full second half commentary of all Rovers' away matches and on a Sunday afternoon and Anthony Hennigan produced a four hour show completely dedicated to local sport. Now I know it was not perfect by any means but at least they put in the effort.

Ocean just go for the lazy option and fill space with inane middle-of-the-road music. They are devoid of any imagination or innovation.

Hope that’s not too harsh!

feo123
09/04/2008, 11:07 AM
ocean is the worst radio station ive heard in a long time. the morning talk sjow is nothing but poilitics, minister this, councillior that, same sligo TD's on everyday talking about boring stuff. they never talk about anything entertaining.

then scruffy duffy in the afternoon, embarassing

Rovers1
09/04/2008, 12:32 PM
then scruffy duffy in the afternoon, embarassing

hes an embarresment full stop!!:mad:

red_away
09/04/2008, 12:39 PM
Does Rovers PR supply them with regular updates? i think if Rovers spoke to them and guaranteed regular information they might be interested but what they probably wouldnt want is as and when adhoc updates. Maybe a piece every week "spotlighting" a player (for example, a piece on Boco, Cook, Carr etc - i think it would be of human interest). Also it would be good in promoting home fixtures.

If they are not interested then they really arent a radio station for the community and everyone should protest via email on their website?

roversforever
09/04/2008, 5:43 PM
ok its getting away from the point i was originally trying to make, which is that there is no live commentaries now and the updates are a joke. it's all great and well saying do player profiles and that but i think we need to get the basics right first, which means decent updates or preferably get the live commentaries back. I actually was shocked by the standard of the report i heard last saturday. Now to be fair i only heard one report,maybe they're not all as bad but what i heard was a long way short of the reports keith o' dwyer used to do.

Bravo
12/04/2008, 6:29 AM
Must say it was absolute torture between the links last night, are the trying to put people off listening? I can appreciate that tactic for home games because it would encourage you to go.

I must say the report wasn’t worth waiting for, the half time report focused on one incident towards the end of the half that was it.
Seems that when they are having a bad news day they are happy to talk about Rovers on the morning show, but when it comes to proper coverage they are poor, NWR was cat this crowd is catter!! :rolleyes: