PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever met anybody famous?

Pages : [1] 2 3

shakermaker1982
07/04/2008, 8:27 PM
A list to Z list it (doesn't matter) have you got any good stories to tell?!

Pauro 76
07/04/2008, 8:33 PM
I once hosted a weekly pub quiz in my bartender days in south west London . Saskia and Maxwell of Big Brother fame (!) were regulars down the pub. They took part. And they were as dumb as sh!t. Saskia was lovely, really nice but Maxwell was a c!ck basically. Also served the Irish physio bird off Dream Team, she was fecking hot. Served Dara O'Briain, he was doing a comedy gig at the pub next door, decided not to engage in conversation, he'd only shoot me in flames. Best one, was Dean Gaffney, ex of EastEnders. He really is uglier than he looks.

ramsfan
07/04/2008, 8:36 PM
i met the posh guy from tv show benson in cork airport, i was after a few so thought i would go up and have a chat, all went well until i told him "i really thought you were great in different strokes and i also thought you were good in star wars" what i should have said was benson and star trek, lets just say he wasnt impressed and i felt like a right plonker

here is a pic of him

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0041281/

sligoman
07/04/2008, 8:53 PM
Got autographs off most of latter series of Dream Team cast, had a nice chat with this fella (http://www.harchester.net/profiles/index.asp?season=8&profile=81), real down to earth. Also got autograph off the hot Irish wan Pauro mentioned there, Rachel Brady AKA Abi Fletcher.

Oh and got Shane Filan's autograph years ago too:p And a guy from Def Lepperd, Joe Elliot.

TheBoss
07/04/2008, 9:21 PM
i met the posh guy from tv show benson in cork airport, i was after a few so thought i would go up and have a chat, all went well until i told him "i really thought you were great in different strokes and i also thought you were good in star wars" what i should have said was benson and star trek, lets just say he wasnt impressed and i felt like a right plonker

here is a pic of him

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0041281/

Are u sure it wasn't Trappatoni.

BohsPartisan
07/04/2008, 9:47 PM
Where to begin?
Oh well with the cream -
Theresa Lowe
Frank McNamara
Denzel Washington
Francis Ford Coppola
Elizebeth Shue
Michael Jordan
Jim Belushi
Peter Collins
Gruff Rhyss

MojoPin
07/04/2008, 10:24 PM
david grohl
joe jackson
fionn regan
damien rice
declan o rourke
glen hansard and marketa
rod stewart
ronnie whelan
some other old liverpool player
bam magera (jackass france ireland 4 yrs ago)
tim robbins
pete hamill (author)
main fella from entourage adrian grenaure or something

photographic proof of 5 i think

sligoman
07/04/2008, 10:29 PM
Andy[or Andrew as he likes to be known now] Cole is another I met

strangeirish
07/04/2008, 10:29 PM
Met actor Bill Murray last Thursday at a charity golf tournament. Shook hands and gave me a 'death grip' for laughs.

I've volunteered to be a courtesy driver for a few days for the Bausch & Lomb tennis event here locally. Supposedly, my charge will be none other than a certain Miss Maria Sharapova! Duties are simple enough, pick her up at hotel and drop her off after her match or matches. Not allowed to talk to her, unless she initiates conversation. I'll keep ye informed:D. Her first match is Tuesday.

deecay
07/04/2008, 10:36 PM
Mainly sports stars and comedians

Gregor Townsend
Mick McCarthy
Tom Symmonds
Evander Sno
Packie Bonner
Brian O'Driscoll
Paul O'Connell
Karl Spain
Jason Byrne
PJ Gallagher

sligoman
07/04/2008, 10:37 PM
I've volunteered to be a courtesy driver for a few days for the Bausch & Lomb tennis event here locally. Supposedly, my charge will be none other than a certain Miss Maria Sharapova! Duties are simple enough, pick her up at hotel and drop her off after her match or matches. Not allowed to talk to her, unless she initiates conversation. I'll keep ye informed:D. Her first match is Tuesday.I couldn't think of anyone worse to be driving a hot tennis player around than you SI...take pictures, the totty watch thread needs updating:D

jmurphyc
07/04/2008, 10:39 PM
I gave Liam Gallagher a light, I met David Baddiel (sp?) although that was a bit embarrassing. I also walked past Kenny Cunningham when he was jogging up on the Sea Road on the way up to Howth. I'm sure there are others, just need to think for a while...

NeilMcD
07/04/2008, 10:54 PM
Roy Keane
Paul Mc Grath
Chris Hughton
Glen Hansard
Brendan Grace

Loads of comedians too

strangeirish
07/04/2008, 10:57 PM
I couldn't think of anyone worse to be driving a hot tennis player around than you SI...take pictures, the totty watch thread needs updating:DI'll have at least one hand on the wheel...The other will be on the camera phone. I may just ask for a photo. We'll see how she is.

Magicme
07/04/2008, 11:20 PM
My fav of my celeb stories is scarying Thom Yorke by trying to force feed him a chocolate musical note shaped lollipop. His panicked look will stay with me all my life. :D

Risteard
08/04/2008, 12:08 AM
I cursed at Mary Robinson.

To this day, I couldn't be more genuinely sorry.
A great woman.

Met Martina Navratilova in Merchants Quay Shopping Centre in Cork.

Torn-Ado
08/04/2008, 12:55 AM
Me and Tony O Donohue nearly came to blows when he was over here for the European athletics championship a couple of years ago. It was a very heated debate about Jack Charlton.

shakermaker1982
08/04/2008, 6:56 AM
Met actor Bill Murray last Thursday at a charity golf tournament. Shook hands and gave me a 'death grip' for laughs.

I've volunteered to be a courtesy driver for a few days for the Bausch & Lomb tennis event here locally. Supposedly, my charge will be none other than a certain Miss Maria Sharapova! Duties are simple enough, pick her up at hotel and drop her off after her match or matches. Not allowed to talk to her, unless she initiates conversation. I'll keep ye informed:D. Her first match is Tuesday.

you lucky ******* :D

ForzaWexford
08/04/2008, 7:25 AM
Bumped into Eddie Vedder last week! Wouldn't have recognised him to be honest but was with a Pearl Jam fanatic at the time.

Shook hands with Keanu Reeves about 3 weeks ago, on the set of some film called "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

There's a picture of me at home squaring up to Michael Carruth in my father's old pub. I must have been about 5. Steve Collins was there aswell.

Shook hands with Mary Robinson at "that" international against England.

Met Steve Staunton and Dominic Matteo before an Irish international about 8 or 9 years ago. Got most of the Irish team's autographs after the home playoff aginst Iran in 2001.

And Eamonn Dunphy's! Cha-ching.

Was walking around Dublin with my younger brother and saw Paul O' Connell. My brother had a broken arm at the time. He was on the phone so we followed him for a good 10 minutes and then got him to sign my brother's cast.

And the creme de la creme, Leo from Fair City can often be spotted shopping in Tesco opposite Vincents Hospital!

Block G Raptor
08/04/2008, 9:45 AM

And the creme de la creme, Leo from Fair City can often be spotted shopping in Tesco opposite Vincents Hospital!

Carol from fair City (http://www.rte.ie/tv/faircity/carol.html)
Ran her babies Buggy into my ankle on grafton st last week, still have a scab on it

Had a pre-gig drink with Sharlene Spiteri and Paul Weller backstage at Witness in fairyhouse a few years ago.
used to do security on a lot of the film shoots around the country so I've met

Colin farrell (intermission)
Kiera Knightly (King Arthur)
Clive Owen (King Arthur)
Ray Winstone (king Arthur)

I served Julianne Moore in UCi when I worked there. she is seriously hot IRL. she ordered a large popcorn with extra butter, a large Hotdog and a DIET* Coke

*she must have been watching her figure.

oh yeah now that I think of it met a few others in UCi

Don Baker was a regular as a weekend Dad (like Me)
Johnny Logan (Ditto)
but the saddest of all has to be Colin Farrell going to see Daredevil on his Tod

paul_oshea
08/04/2008, 10:47 AM
Oh and got Shane Filan's autograph years ago too:p And a guy from Def Lepperd, Joe Elliot.

THE guy :D

Jerry The Saint
08/04/2008, 10:50 AM
I'll have at least one hand on the wheel...The other will be...

:eek:

on the camera phone.

Phew! :)

DaveyCakes
08/04/2008, 12:17 PM
Not too many

Bill Clinton, a few footballers and dart players, Brian Jacks (we'll see who remembers him), Andrew Eldritch.

I've probably walked past dozens of famous people in the street without noticing them, I'm always in a world of my own.

Lionel Ritchie
08/04/2008, 12:30 PM
Musicians

Morrissey
Donovan
Joe Strummer
Shane McGowan
David Gedge

Football

Didn't meet but chatted on the phone with
Mick McCarthy
Ally McCoist
Gordon Strachan

Bluebeard
08/04/2008, 1:03 PM
I met MagicMe!!!

joeSoap
08/04/2008, 1:34 PM
Lots of Rugby Players, although the only one that really stood out in my mind was Martin Johnson. I shared a flight to Florida with him recently, and although perceived as a total c**t by everyone Irish after disrespecting our president in 2003, I found him to be ultra clever, good conversationalist and an all round nice fella. Incidentally he told me that the reason he refused to move was that he saw the sheer terror in O'Driscolls eyes when he ran out and saw England on the red carpet blocking the way and knew then that they had won the psychological part of the battle. I disagreed with him, very politely and gently, and changed the subject, as any mortal like myself would do when disagreeing with a 6ft 8 man mountain.

Soccer wise the most memorable people I've met are Roy Keane, Alex Ferguson, and Socrates.

In the movie world, I've met Bob Hoskins, and had a few beers in a bar in LA with a guy that I thought was just a normal Joe but my sister pointed out to me later that it was Jason Priestley.

Donegalred
08/04/2008, 1:58 PM
David Platt

....................from coronation street:rolleyes:

kingdom hoop
08/04/2008, 6:05 PM
I met Bluebeard!!!! (anyone who wins POTY is a celebrity in my eyes)

Down the pecking order, we had Pancho (the small one they take the mickey out of) from Dirty Sanchez out to our house after a night-club there a few months back. Lovely, down-to-earth (:p) fella in fairness. I think he gave me a cigarette actually.

My favourite brush with celebrity though was in the Burlington about four years ago when frustrated with only meeting CafĂș and Giblerto my mate and me found out what level the Brazil players were staying on. So up we went and amazingly there in front of us chilling out playing Pro-Evolution Soccer in a kind of common area with sofas etc were......(dramatic pause).....the two Ronnies themselves. Yep, I've seen Ronaldo and Ronaldinho playing PES! :) Alas a security guard soon came around the corner and hunted us before we'd the chance to challenge the lads to a match.

Newryrep
08/04/2008, 6:41 PM
Not too many

Brian Jacks (we'll see who remembers him),

Superstars ?

GavinZac
08/04/2008, 7:30 PM
Jack Charlton, John Aldridge, Trevor Welch (? :D ).

I played in the CCFC Legends v Celebrities match and met a few politicians, radio DJs, and apparently a couple of rugby internationals who'd been at World Cups, but I can't remember most of them as I was far more star struck by the CCFC legends :o

sligoman
08/04/2008, 7:44 PM
Alex Ferguson, Sean Fallon, Mick McCarthy, Patrick Kluivert, Brian Kerr & RTE's George Hamilton and Tommie Gorman;). Got a load of Man Utd players autographs in Spain, most notably Christiano Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy and John O'Shea:p. Rooney is an ignorant fecker.

centre mid
08/04/2008, 7:47 PM
Rudd Gullitt (fecked if i can spell it right), Ronnie Wood, a WWF Wrestler that I cant remember the name of, the lead singer of The Revs.

jebus
08/04/2008, 7:56 PM
The Corrs, Deftones, Damon Albarn, Busta Rhymes, The Big Show, Chris Benoit, Lita, Ed Harris, Cillian Murphy, and Living Legend Jeff Kenna spring instantly to mind

BohsPartisan
08/04/2008, 8:53 PM
My fav of my celeb stories is scarying Thom Yorke by trying to force feed him a chocolate musical note shaped lollipop. His panicked look will stay with me all my life. :D

Didn't you have a private concert with Roland wasisname out of FYC or something?

DaveyCakes
08/04/2008, 9:24 PM
Superstars ?

Yep..

sligoman
08/04/2008, 10:16 PM
Didn't you have a private concert with Roland wasisnameRat?:o

TonyD
08/04/2008, 10:21 PM
Met Michael Stipe in Easons last summer. He was just browsing through the magazines with no-one paying any attention to him. Wouldn't normally do the star struck thing, but I was a huge REM fan, so I had to shake his hand. (He had an armful of magazines, which made that a bit arkward :o)

kingdom hoop
08/04/2008, 10:41 PM
Oh forgot to say I met Kevin Gallen drunkenly stumbling up Grafton Street a few years ago. No! No I didn't call him a traitor.

Another strange enough one was when I had the privilege of caddying for Lisa Kudrow's husband. Pathetic golfer actually - though he was French I suppose.

Risteard
08/04/2008, 10:53 PM
Jesus, forgot.
I met Jackie Chan in Bangkok in 2005.

I kicked the **** out of him.

Magicme
08/04/2008, 11:37 PM
Didn't you have a private concert with Roland wasisname out of FYC or something?

Roland Gift and yeah I did but Thom Yorke was funnier! The panicked look in his eyes.

Have met quite a few famous ones but Thom was the best.

thischarmingman
09/04/2008, 12:24 AM
Met and had a pint with Shane MaGowan in Carnival on Camden Street.

Eddie Irvine when he visited our college.

Lily Allen in a London nightclub.

Chatted to Gordon Ramsey last year when at his restaurant in New York (don't ask!:cool:).

Bought Steve O'Flynn and Clive Delaney pints in Derry. :D

Block G Raptor
09/04/2008, 10:15 AM
Seen Brendan Courtney of your a star "fame" on grafton street yesterday with his wife and baby

Bluebeard
09/04/2008, 10:20 AM
I played in the CCFC Legends v Celebrities match and met a few politicians, radio DJs, and apparently a couple of rugby internationals who'd been at World Cups, but I can't remember most of them as I was far more star struck by the CCFC legends :o

Hmm. Were you a CCFC Legend or a Celebrity. If the former, might I suggest that you may be more of a CCFC Myth?;)

Funnily enough, you remind me that I used to play football with Stephen Alkin years ago. He always called me and another bloke on the team "Ray" for some reason, despite neither of us being Ray. Memories of him commentating made hearing him calling for the ball down the right side seem a bit too surreal.

Strangely enough, I also used play football with Don Wycherly, of Bachelor's Walk and BallyK. Owing to the latter, he used be known as "Father".

Maz
09/04/2008, 10:44 AM
Seen Brendan Courtney of your a star "fame" on grafton street yesterday with his wife and baby
Brendan O'Connor no?

Block G Raptor
09/04/2008, 10:59 AM
Yep Sorry you're right. I just googled "Your a Star Brendan" and in the description of the first site it said Brendan Courtney he's that gay fella of RTE isn't he

Maz
09/04/2008, 11:02 AM
Yep Sorry you're right. I just googled "Your a Star Brendan" and in the description of the first site it said Brendan Courtney he's that gay fella of RTE isn't he
Thats what threw me, him with a wife and child!

Moi, I have met sweet f all celebs and not too bothered. Met Shane Filan and Kian Egan of Westlife fame, Kerry Katona, Fran Cosgrove, few from Fairly ****ty. Most z listers!

inexile
09/04/2008, 11:08 AM
met colin farrell in the local shop around the corner from his house 100% sound he was, tina o'brien,michelle heaton are 2 highlights both much better looking in the flesh, but smaller than i imagined! mick mccarthy, lucy kennedy,sile seoige,ronan o gara, peter stringer, tim wheeler (from ash) oh and paul osam lives 2 doors up from me!!!

Pike B
09/04/2008, 11:34 AM
Met Johnny Vegas in San Francisco once. Top bloke. Sound out and invited us to a party he was having that night at his hotel. Couldn't go due to friends party we had to attend. Regreted it ever since. Stupid friends..

Kildare Lad
09/04/2008, 11:52 AM
Denis Irwin, Brian Kerr, Ian Rush, Packie Bonner, Don Givens, Niall Quinn(was in his house and all!)

sligoman
09/04/2008, 12:17 PM
Met Phil Lynott's mother and his dog Gnasher:D