PDA

View Full Version : League Cup v Longford

Pages : [1] 2

JC_GUFC
07/04/2008, 1:13 PM
Any team news for this lads?

I imagine we'll put out a fairly strong team for Billy's 1st home game in charge and to get a bit of good feeling behind the team.

Longford look to be useless - were lucky to draw at home with Kildare on Saturday.

Demoshield
07/04/2008, 1:51 PM
I would imagine there won't be any 'till after training

Curler
07/04/2008, 3:11 PM
estimates on the crowd....

475?

GuisaSaigon
07/04/2008, 4:01 PM
474 :d

gufct
07/04/2008, 4:12 PM
less than 300.

foxx92
07/04/2008, 5:09 PM
less than 300.
including the 22 players coaching staff and stewards...maybe
:D

corbyeire
07/04/2008, 5:45 PM
sending a text round to remind people that the season ticket wont work is counter productive - re emphasises the lack of value in the ticket for a game they are surely going to suffer numbers wise

Tir Oilean
07/04/2008, 5:51 PM
Its way better than havin ppl making a scene at the turnstiles though.

corbyeire
07/04/2008, 6:23 PM
i really hope the lack of a crowd will let the players play to their strenghts and get over the constant groan factor that is about terryland these days

i myself am totally guilty of the giving out but the small crowd could be a reduction in the perceived pressure

Martinho II
07/04/2008, 9:01 PM
as far as I know lads there is no bus from longford coming up.. after our crap performances over the last few weeks cant really see a huge crowd coming from us at all best maybe thirty to forty town fans...

Terry
07/04/2008, 9:14 PM
175 I reckon, wont be going myself, out in leenaun so wont be tempted to be paying the €20 in to see what could be our reserves and having to make the trek back again afterwards.

deecay
07/04/2008, 9:52 PM
That €20 is a joke,less than 300:o

feo123
07/04/2008, 10:58 PM
thought this was on tonight. tomorrow night is it?

Terry-Lander
08/04/2008, 7:15 AM
I will be travelling from Headford / Caherlistrane if anyone needs a lift. pm me.

MyTown
08/04/2008, 9:45 AM
Much as I'd like to see the Champions League Quarter Final, I'll be going to Terryland.

The attendance predictions on this thread make for sad but realistic reading. It's groundhog day and we're back to the Monaghan / Kilkenny averages.

Still it'll be nice to catch up with the die hards & it is now more than ever that support is needed.

Demoshield
08/04/2008, 10:00 AM
Much as I'd like to see the Champions League Quarter Final, I'll be going to Terryland.

The attendance predictions on this thread make for sad but realistic reading. It's groundhog day and we're back to the Monaghan / Kilkenny averages.

Still it'll be nice to catch up with the die hards & it is now more than ever that support is needed.

Ditto.
Can't wait. Bring it on.
Have my wellies & sugar packed!!!
The wellies in case I'm up to my knees in tears being shed for TC & the sugar to dilute the bitterness emenating from certain quarters::p:p:p
C'mon United.

corbyeire
08/04/2008, 10:39 AM
Ditto.
Can't wait. Bring it on.
Have my wellies & sugar packed!!!
The wellies in case I'm up to my knees in tears being shed for TC & the sugar to dilute the bitterness emenating from certain quarters::p
C'mon United.

:D

very good

eamo1
08/04/2008, 12:29 PM
2 of my friends are not as die hard and will be instead watching L'pool vrs Ars.I wonder how many will turn up on friday though,thats the big qs.
I really hope he puts out a decent team for tonight.

geezer
08/04/2008, 1:47 PM
too fond of any cup competitions at the best of times. The league is the deal for me but tonight is an important opportunity to score a few goals, play a bit of footie and lay down a pattern of football for the next 6 weeks. That defence also needs to practice concentration between the 15th minute and half time as well...cmon united

galwaygirl
08/04/2008, 1:54 PM
as far as I know lads there is no bus from longford coming up.. after our crap performances over the last few weeks cant really see a huge crowd coming from us at all best maybe thirty to forty town fans...

Will we see you in Foxs before the match Martinho

corbyeire
08/04/2008, 2:07 PM
are oflynn or glynn in contention?

gufct
08/04/2008, 2:20 PM
No team news anywhere so your guess is as good as mine. This is the offy site preview http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/match-previews/galway-united-v-longford-town.html .

Terry-Lander
08/04/2008, 2:53 PM
I take it no one needs / wants a lift from this neck of the woods. Wont be checking msgs again today. C'mon united

RonnieB
08/04/2008, 4:03 PM
Just about to drive up to it. Cant see many Town fans travelling or much hope of us not getting a drubbing :D

Paddyfield
08/04/2008, 8:45 PM
United won 2 - 0. Lester and Foley with the goals. Keane missed a penalty.

Onwards and upwards.

Tir Oilean
08/04/2008, 8:47 PM
Great stuff! Its just what the lads needed before the visit of CCFC. Anybody home yet to give us an analysis?

Square Heir
08/04/2008, 9:04 PM
Great stuff! Its just what the lads needed before the visit of CCFC. Anybody home yet to give us an analysis?

Lester got goal of the season from about 35 yards - top corner. Foleys shot was deflected then went in. Keane penalty was very well saved by the keeper. Jay O' Shea nearly scored an amazing goal in the first half, hit the bar from 25 yards.
A fantastic display of fluent, passing football in a match Utd dominated from start to finish.

gordongekko
08/04/2008, 9:05 PM
http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/239/

gilberto_eire
08/04/2008, 9:21 PM
Lester got goal of the season from about 35 yards - top corner. Foleys shot was deflected then went in. Keane penalty was very well saved by the keeper. Jay O' Shea nearly scored an amazing goal in the first half, hit the bar from 25 yards.
A fantastic display of fluent, passing football in a match Utd dominated from start to finish.

I wouldnt say dominated for start to finish, it was even enough for the first 30mins with Longford having much the better chances.

Who's you're number 9(longford fans)?.
Shocking player, if somebody else was on the pitch they could have taken the lead.
First chance for him came when Lester made a hash of an off-side trap and stepped ahead of him before realising he was'nt off and chasing him back, luckily he hit the ball too far ahead of him then his awful pace let Banana get out to clear the ball.
His second chance came soon after when he was put through one on one but hit a terrible shot right at Banana, that was the end of the Longford threat!

The defense was very dodgey for the first 30mins, and was it not for the Longford No.9 getting both attempts we could have found ourselfves chasing the game from an early stage!

We got on top from there but we're restricted to long-range efforts, O'Shea came closest when he came in on his weaker foot before letting a 25yard shot go that rattled the crossbar, that was soon followed by a strike by Deegan from a similiar area but he just could'nt keep it down. Fitzy had a good header saved from a corner in what otherwise was a dissapointing first half, which also saw DOB come off injured.

The second half was much more positive and saw the introduction of both Glynn(albeit Glynn just before HT) and Flynn to the strike force. Lester got the break-through with a strike from near 40 yards near the old stand by-line that flew into the top corner, after Keane's peno miss a few minutes before!.
We piled on the pressure from there with Foleys edge of the area strike taking a deflection in for 2-0 with 25minutes(or near enough) remaining. Flynn should have opened his account when he blasted wide from inside the area but his work-rate was exceptional for a man just back from injury!.

All round a good performance, especially in the second half but the defense needs sorting ASAP because the likes of Mooney and Co. won't need two one on ones to put it away!!

Square Heir
08/04/2008, 9:34 PM
Agreed, there were some defensive boo-boo's in the first 15-20 mins of the 1st half. hey definately have to stop.
Utd really settled well though. People have to take encouragement from that performance. I thought the last 20-25 mins of the first half were just as positive as the 2nd half display.
Put it this way... if TC was still in charge, the is No Way in hell anything near a performance like that would have been witnessed.

Terry-Lander
08/04/2008, 9:48 PM
Thought Russell was outstanding. Rouse did all that was asked of him. First goal was one of the best seen in Terryland for some time. What a joy to see football being played instead of hoofball. :D:D

geezer
08/04/2008, 9:51 PM
was a very young longford side to be fair, the defense really needs to up concentration levels. It was very refreshing to see what must have been 40 crosses coming over from positions close to the byline throughout the game.
Im sure it beats training but friday will be different. Still i enjoyed the football..

eamo1
08/04/2008, 10:18 PM
Shouldnt get carried away,you could tell who the part timers were in the second half because Longford tired quickly and only then did we really get on top.Russell was the stand out player again.He should be given more of a free role i think,he stayed left alot in second half instead of cutting in-field.O'Shea is too light,their left back wasnt that big and still easily out-muscled him.What a peach from Lester.Some good positives from tonight and roll on Cork Friday night.

gufcfan
08/04/2008, 10:27 PM
Highlights of match

kjYK_lBV5AA

Tir Oilean
08/04/2008, 10:39 PM
Cheers GUFCfan. Jeez what was that all about the ball was actually on the ground!!! ;-) Looked like an entertaining joust and Lesters goal was better thans Faheys GOTM contender asthe keeper wasnt as far off his line. Any word on how bad Derek is?

gufct
08/04/2008, 10:47 PM
Longford had one first teamer in the squad according to their fans and that was Seamus Kelly on the bench so if we didnt win that game we would be in serious bother. Their no 9. missed an absolute sitter at 0-0 although Banana did well to block it.

Positives were Russeler, Lesters unbelievable goal,Return of Glynny and Flynny.Negatives Dereks injury (he reckons he will miss the Cork game but will be ok after that),Fitzy is also carrying a knock and some of our defensive work would have been severly punished if we were playing a better team.

A win is a win but saying that was a fantastic display is getting a bit carried away.165 hardy souls with a fair support from Longford but we will need to up that by 100% to have any chance against Cork.

The new manager should be in place by next week so he can be in place for our 5 cup finals against the teams around us and Derry.

sligoman
08/04/2008, 11:01 PM
Great goal by Lester, no way can the 2nd be credited to Foley though.

RonnieB
08/04/2008, 11:27 PM
It was pretty much our second 11 But they did a lot better than our first 11 for the first half anyway! Should have taken the lead. Great goal by Russel. Lowsy crowd though. Seriously like. 20 EURO in is a joke though, I am sorry but it was a ripoff.

Got very tired in the second half.

west awake
09/04/2008, 1:32 AM
Highlights of match

kjYK_lBV5AAi'm 1st to crib about 20euro been over the top admission price for terryland but any admission fee was justified by lester's goal tonight.simply sublime!

MyTown
09/04/2008, 9:08 AM
Gilbertos report above is accurate and fair - especially about how even the first half was. (Think that's the first time I've agreed with anything he's ever posted :p).

Thought John Russell was fantastic throughout but especially when he switched to outside left (hint, hint, nudge nudge). He delivered three sublime crosses with his left foot into the danger zone and he chased down a 'nothing' ball into the corner from which the second goal came. He visibly tired in the last 15 minutes, but we had 3 subs on at that stage. O'Flynn did really well for me too especially with intelligent use of the ball and good link up play, but yes, he should have scored.

A couple of selection posers for Billy for Friday night. But awinisawinisawin & well done to the lads.

Fair paly to the 30 odd Longfordians who travelled and wore their colours with pride. I thought the captain (Luke Hardy?), the red haired left full, and the goalie did well.

While the attendance was as poor as predicted, it was not as low as the 164 or 200 indicated on the Eircom league Tonight's Latest thread IMO.

gufct
09/04/2008, 9:11 AM
Unfortunately My Town it was and I actually checked with the man on the gate.It actually looked less than that at the game granted maybe you counted the Civil Defence,Stewards and the 3 Sword Security Staff. :D

Sumac
09/04/2008, 9:33 AM
20 quid is way over the top for the first round of the league cup. Absolutely crazy who ever came up with those prices - Were they still charging the extra 5 euro to get into the new stand?
Add to this the fact that they knew they were going head to head with the Champions League - Baffling!
And remember it doesn't make a difference harking on about the few hundred die hards that turned up. They are the supporters that will stick with the club through thick and thin, not the people who will bring teh extra money in to move the club to a new level.
How about making it 10 quid to get in and a fiver if you have a season tkt - I for one would have turned up if this was the case.

corbyeire
09/04/2008, 10:12 AM
there were many people of the same opinion - that after forking out for the season ticket there should have been some concession with it

i know there are the FAI regulations - but united might have made a few more quid in the long run if some gesture was made

what a goal by lester

hopefully this will encourage the lads - but bear in mind it was essentially a second team in the cup

really need a good crowd behind them on friday night

gilberto_eire
09/04/2008, 12:27 PM
20 quid is way over the top for the first round of the league cup. Absolutely crazy who ever came up with those prices - Were they still charging the extra 5 euro to get into the new stand?
Add to this the fact that they knew they were going head to head with the Champions League - Baffling!
And remember it doesn't make a difference harking on about the few hundred die hards that turned up. They are the supporters that will stick with the club through thick and thin, not the people who will bring teh extra money in to move the club to a new level.
How about making it 10 quid to get in and a fiver if you have a season tkt - I for one would have turned up if this was the case.

there were many people of the same opinion - that after forking out for the season ticket there should have been some concession with it

i know there are the FAI regulations - but united might have made a few more quid in the long run if some gesture was made

what a goal by lester

hopefully this will encourage the lads - but bear in mind it was essentially a second team in the cup

really need a good crowd behind them on friday night

Lad's do ye really think even one extra person would have came up if it was cheaper, €20 is nothing these days and it's the standard admission for basically ALL clubs. You can't go dropping it for certain games, cause even more will be moaning another time, ''I only paid €10 last week....''., The prices were set over a month ago, can't see why so many people are still going on about it.

Corby was right there, there are FAI regulations, League cup games are no longer included in season tickets and since our admission was set to €20 for the season allowing people in for less would only result in the club having to mkake up the differance to pay Longford!. It would also have ZERO impact on attendance. Fans go to games, fair-weathers come when we're winning, fair-weathers till though include ''admission'' as an excuse when there on about how bad we're doing i.e ''...€20 to see that crap?'' i've heard a number of times, if it was a €10 in it would just be ''....im not going to see that crap''

The bums will return when we're winning, admission of €20 has done frig all this season!!

eamo1
09/04/2008, 12:59 PM
There was no extra charge into the new stand last night.Had a great view of O'Shea's strike from the top tier(i mean top row:)).I remember a tuesday night game in the premier division a few years ago vrs Derry City.There was 53 people at it,was easily able to count them.

Flano
09/04/2008, 2:33 PM
Lad's do ye really think even one extra person would have came up if it was cheaper, €20 is nothing these days and it's the standard admission for basically ALL clubs. You can't go dropping it for certain games, cause even more will be moaning another time, ''I only paid €10 last week....''., The prices were set over a month ago, can't see why so many people are still going on about it.

Corby was right there, there are FAI regulations, League cup games are no longer included in season tickets and since our admission was set to €20 for the season allowing people in for less would only result in the club having to mkake up the differance to pay Longford!. It would also have ZERO impact on attendance. Fans go to games, fair-weathers come when we're winning, fair-weathers till though include ''admission'' as an excuse when there on about how bad we're doing i.e ''...€20 to see that crap?'' i've heard a number of times, if it was a €10 in it would just be ''....im not going to see that crap''

The bums will return when we're winning, admission of €20 has done frig all this season!!

Totally disagree with the comment "Lad's do ye really think even one extra person would have came up if it was cheaper"

I'm a season ticket holder (have been for years) and this year I bought an extra Tiger season ticket so the young fella (age 7) could always bring one of his friends.

I could not financially justify paying the €30 or so for me and the young fella plus his bag of crips etc etc..I'ld have gone if it was a tenner or so.

A mate of mine felt the same way.

Not penny pinching ..just fact!

Tir Oilean
09/04/2008, 2:59 PM
The new manager should be in place by next week.

Didnt wait too long to pick a new manager.

gufct
09/04/2008, 3:12 PM
I forgot to insert put in place (your guess is as good as mine). By the vibes last night it looks like its a few weeks away yet but with the series of Games coming up its vital we get 12 points minimum out the next six games.

gufct
09/04/2008, 3:15 PM
Totally disagree with the comment "Lad's do ye really think even one extra person would have came up if it was cheaper"

I'm a season ticket holder (have been for years) and this year I bought an extra Tiger season ticket so the young fella (age 7) could always bring one of his friends.

I could not financially justify paying the €30 or so for me and the young fella plus his bag of crips etc etc..I'ld have gone if it was a tenner or so.

I thought it was the perfect chance to charge €15 for adults as a promotion but im afraid its a brick wall as far as this is concerned.

gilberto_eire
09/04/2008, 3:42 PM

Sorry to be so blunt but i can't see how you can call yourself a real fan, if your not going to go at times due to payment(a small one at that, once a fortnight, the equivilent of 4 pints), if everyone took that view then we'd have had no fans there last night!.

Everybody wants to see us do well but nobody wants there money to go towards it!!

You already have the price of the season ticket covered so to say you could'nt afford the admission seems a bit odd. Anyone with a job can afford to pay in, i'm on the bare minimum wage and i was still able to pay the entrance as were all the usual heads from the back of the old stand. So if it was a bigger match you still would'nt be able to stump up the money?. Must have been a great coincidance that the champions league was also on the same time?!

I'd have more respect for the fans who prefered to watch there ''first team''(liverpool, arsenal) then fans that are not going to go to a game cause it's not of any real ''importance'' and worth €20.

Sorry to go on such a rant but it's just typical Galway stuff here again, no bus to our last away game either cause 99% of ''fans'' don't bother there arse to try make it to at least one game a season, wonder how many other teams won't bring a bus to a game this season?. Most of our fans want it all with as little inconvienince and cost as possible!!

Not aimin this whole thread on you Flano just the general view of Galway fans around the town, was just your first line that made me speak up!